HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Speculation: Gary Bettman's future

Old
12-06-2012, 06:49 PM
flameaholic
FOREVER a Flame!

vCash: 500
Speculation: Gary Bettman's future

Any chance we'll soon be seeing the end of Gary Bettman? Negotiations seemed to pick up this week once Gary Bettman was removed from the bargaining table. He's universally despised by fans, media, players, and probably the majority of owners alike. His tenure as commissioner has been marked both by controversy and constant work stoppages. Bottom line: he's been a failure.

Any chance we could soon be seeing the end of Gary Bettman as National Hockey League commissioner?

flameaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 06:52 PM
BLONG7

I thought things went better because he and Fehr were out of the room??

BLONG7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 06:54 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
vBookie Bookie

vCash: 2800
If he was despised by the majority of owners, he would be fired.

-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

NHL Standings Under Different Point Systems
Kane One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 06:56 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
What the players just did over the last 24 hours actually has probably strengthened his position. They have now upset the moderate owners, those guys left today angry, they now see how unreasonable this process has been.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 07:19 PM
colchar

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
What the players just did over the last 24 hours actually has probably strengthened his position. They have now upset the moderate owners, those guys left today angry, they now see how unreasonable this process has been.
I wonder if any of them have figured out yet that it is unreasonable to sign players to contracts and then turn around 24hrs later and say that they will not be honoring those contracts in their entirety?

colchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 07:25 PM
hotpaws

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by colchar View Post
I wonder if any of them have figured out yet that it is unreasonable to sign players to contracts and then turn around 24hrs later and say that they will not be honoring those contracts in their entirety?
All contracts are subject to the CBA , the agents and the players knew this and i'm getting tired of hearing this crap about how the poor players are being taken advantaged of .

hotpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 07:25 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Why wasn't that a problem for the last 7 years? None of the multi-year contracts signed during the last CBA were paid in full.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 07:31 PM
zytz
lumberjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameaholic View Post
Any chance we'll soon be seeing the end of Gary Bettman? Negotiations seemed to pick up this week once Gary Bettman was removed from the bargaining table. He's universally despised by fans, media, players, and probably the majority of owners alike. His tenure as commissioner has been marked both by controversy and constant work stoppages. Bottom line: he's been a failure.

Any chance we could soon be seeing the end of Gary Bettman as National Hockey League commissioner?
MOD

Universally despised?

Please.

And he's been anything but a failure... everyone, players and owners alike, is making way more money than they were. The NHL has experienced unprecedented growth. Yep, that sounds like a failure all right.

Last edited by Fugu: 12-06-2012 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Trolling
zytz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 07:33 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
I wonder if the players have figured out yet that its unreasonable to sign contracts of large bonuses only to turn around 24 hours later and drag their feet and get paid while they do nothing.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 07:34 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
The seas could part and Jesus Christ himself could descend from the heavens, and Judgement Day could be upon us.

And after that, Gary Bettman will still be the commissioner of the NHL

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 07:35 PM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by zytz View Post

Universally despised?

Please.

And he's been anything but a failure... everyone, players and owners alike, is making way more money than they were. The NHL has experienced unprecedented growth. Yep, that sounds like a failure all right.
The only people that are making more money across the board are the players.

DespoticNewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 07:43 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

The other side is that things were going good until Fehr stuck his nose in there. But, this is all just speculation no matter which side you are on.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
flameaholic
FOREVER a Flame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zytz View Post

Universally despised?

Please.

Gary Bettman in 2005: "I have fixed the problem. The cancellation of the season was necessary. You can thank me later!"

Gary Bettman in 2012: "The last CBA was a disaster. I have failed to fix anything. Another cancellation is necessary."

Repeat after me: F.A.I.L.U.R.E.

Old
Chalupa Batman
Mod Supervisor

Quote:

He's not universally despised by fans, media, or players.

And if he were universally despised by the majority of owners (is that an oxymoron?), then he would have already been removed as commissioner.

Chalupa Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 07:44 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Nihil Novi Sub Soli

Bettman just kicked Fehr's ass.

If he is fired by the owner's, the first people in line to hire him would be the NHLPA.

Finlandia WOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 07:47 PM
zytz
lumberjack

Quote:
Gary Bettman in 2005: "I have fixed the problem. The cancellation of the season was necessary. You can thank me later!"

Gary Bettman in 2012: "The last CBA was a disaster. I have failed to fix anything. Another cancellation is necessary."

Repeat after me: F.A.I.L.U.R.E.
Now that you mention it, I do recall both of those quotes from his presser in Never-Never Land

zytz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 07:47 PM
flameaholic
FOREVER a Flame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan The Parade View Post
Bettman just kicked Fehr's ass.

If he is fired by the owner's, the first people in line to hire him would be the NHLPA.
How did he kick Fehr's ass? If anything Fehr is playing him like a puppet.

"Go ahead, cancel another season. I dare ya!"

Old
12-06-2012, 07:51 PM
Shorthander

Quote:

If the season is lost, I'd say Don Fehr is in more danger of losing his job. Even the most boneheaded players will be wondering why the union turned down a 50-odd game season and $300 million.

Shorthander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 07:52 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Nihil Novi Sub Soli

Quote:

If Fehr tried to call Bettman's bluff, then he would lose the support of almost everyone connected to the NHL in some way. He would be ending a season over sticking points that could be negotiated in 20 minutes.

Fehr can either accept the NHL's offer, or he is viewed as directly responsible for ending this season. In which case, the NHL says "See you in June", by which most (if not all) of the PA will be interested in getting their jobs back. He will accept the same (or a lesser) offer than this one, and the PA will be howling for blood over why he didn't just take the offer that was handed to him today.

He has too much to lose by calling Bettman's bluff over minor details. He won't.

Finlandia WOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 07:53 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
People are forgetting that Bettman is also negotiating with 30 very rich and powerful men that are used to getting what they want. The NHLPA isn't the only thing Bettman is trying to make happy.

Bettman invited the moderate owners to negotiate a deal directly with NHLPA and the owners thought they had a deal ready to be voted on and the players just ignored it and came back with new demands, that just put all of the owners right behind Bettman.

Fehr just gave Bettman even more power over the owners. When the owner that stands to lose the most revenue and profit leaves the negotiations upset, the NHLPA should be very worried. The NHLPA needs Toronto on their side to have a shot at getting what they want and they may have lost them.

The majority of the owners will handle the $250-300 million lost profit to get out of $1.8 billion worth of salary. The make whole will go away and the owners will save $300 million out of pocket. Makes up for most of the lost profit.

Can't wait for the "disclaimer" vote by the NHLPA. When they lose in court (over the legality of the lockout), then we will really see what kind of offers they get from the NHL.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 07:56 PM
hotpaws

Quote:

What do you think is so funny ?

A large number of players never recouped the money they lost from the last cancellation and they won't recoup the money if the season is cancelled this time .

Fehr is overplaying his hand and is looking like an idiot every time he comes out and says the deal is almost done even when he'd know it isn't just like today . It was pretty obvious he'd know the owners response and that's why he kept the players around after his first press conference .

hotpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 07:57 PM
moosehead81

After watching his most recent presser, from a health standpoint, Mr Bettman's future didn't look all that good. Man he didn't look well to me. It's not worth a stroke or heart attack.

moosehead81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 08:00 PM
flameaholic
FOREVER a Flame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan The Parade View Post
If Fehr tried to call Bettman's bluff, then he would lose the support of almost everyone connected to the NHL in some way. He would be ending a season over sticking points that could be negotiated in 20 minutes.

Fehr can either accept the NHL's offer, or he is viewed as directly responsible for ending this season. In which case, the NHL says "See you in June", by which most (if not all) of the PA will be interested in getting their jobs back. He will accept the same (or a lesser) offer than this one, and the PA will be howling for blood over why he didn't just take the offer that was handed to him today.

He has too much to lose by calling Bettman's bluff over minor details. He won't.
I guess we'll find out. Scottie Upshall just tweeted we'll see who blinks first when the season's on the line.

Enjoy the World Juniors everybody! Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! See you in January!

Old
12-06-2012, 08:22 PM
Furkmyster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorthander View Post
If the season is lost, I'd say Don Fehr is in more danger of losing his job. Even the most boneheaded players will be wondering why the union turned down a 50-odd game season and $300 million.
The boneheaded players should have negotiated to get the full 82 game season in late October and not lose 100% of the games. But all Fehr knows is 'NO!' to any offer. The NHL would have negotiated back then, but they didn't want to at all.

Furkmyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 08:50 PM
haseoke39
Brainfart 4 Reinhart

Gary Bettman suggested the meetings without him and Don Fehr. If anything, that tells me that Fehr was the problem, and that GB was man enough to recognize that stepping aside was the only way to get Fehr away from the table, too.

The owners unanimously voted for both this lockout and the one before (I don't remember 1994). Gary Bettman has presided over 3 work stoppages, but I fail to see how they would have been any less likely with a different commissioner. In 2004, the system was broken and it took taking a year away from players to even get a cap. A different commissioner was not going to get it done in less. This time GB wanted to negotiate back in 2011, and the players refused to even come to the table until August. At that point, what is he supposed to do? Take any offer they give him lying down to get back on the ice by the 15th? I really think the commissioner has profoundly little to do with a lockout v no lockout. He's a representative.

Gary Bettman has introduced institutions like the Winter Classic, HBO 24/7, and more importantly, grown HRR at an historic pace.

He made a bad gamble in Phoenix, but if you think Southern/Western expansion was a bad idea overall, I strongly disagree. His mandate has been to increase league popularity to a point where he can compete with the other 3 major sports, get a TV deal, and there's no way you do that with 14 US teams in the Northeast. Period. Maybe you personally like original 6 hockey better, but that's not his mandate. Not even close.

Here's an honest question: what has Gary Bettman himself done that you dislike? Try to be specific and focus on things Gary Bettman personally did, not just, this lockout sucks so Bettman is to blame.

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote