HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Wild future vs. Oilers future

Old
12-05-2012, 09:57 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMantzas View Post
Wtf are you talking about? The Wild were putrid last year too
Watch them play. Wild didn't have any skill players and were decimated by injuries. Wild play like a team. Oilers play like individual parts. Wild will get wins by 2-1, 1-0, Oilers will get wins by 4-3, 5-4.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 10:32 PM
Ice Whole

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
Watch them play. Wild didn't have any skill players and were decimated by injuries. Wild play like a team. Oilers play like individual parts. Wild will get wins by 2-1, 1-0, Oilers will get wins by 4-3, 5-4.
This has to be the dumbest thing I have read in this thread. The Oilers play like individuals? Really? That's your argument? . Just cause the Oilers won by 4-3 doesn't make it any different then you guys winning by 2-1. A win is a win and they did it as a team. We all know the Oilers aren't the greatest team but the reason our offence scored more goals than it had to was because our defence and goaltending was awful and clearly our offence didn't get it done all the time. Look at the early part of the season last year, when the Oilers won 6 straight, beating the top teams, look at how many of them were low scoring close games. That's because that was the first time in who knows how many years we actually saw a goaltender stand on his head and help us win. After that, the Oilers had to pretty much rely on the kids to win it for them.

Yes, Minnesota has better depth and I can see them being the better team right now and for the next couple of years but after that I can see the Oilers being the better team. The thing with Edmonton is that they need guys that should be providing them secondary scoring to do so. Guys like Hemsky and Whitney need to bounce back and stay healthy and we need to see Gagner and Dubnyk do better. However, we added two huge pieces in Yakupov (more help upfront) and Schultz (a defencemen who can move the puck up). Add to the fact that these guys are still young and will be heading into their prime at the same time as Hall, Ebs, Nuge makes it exciting.

Ice Whole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 10:32 PM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Yeah, Dany Heatley is a helluva team player
Clearly someone hasn't watched Heatley in his last year in San Jose and year in Minnesota.

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 10:48 PM
Joey Moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by P10p View Post
Love how bias this post is. You stop making comparisons when Edmonton runs out of notable prospects?

Hackett < ???????
Zucker < ???????
Phillips < ???????
Kuemper < ??????
Gustafson < ??????
Lucia < ????????
Haula < ???????
Scandella< ????????
Notable prospects? I can list Marincin, Gernat, Musil, Bunz, Rieder, Zharkov as some more notable prospects. There is nothing in my post that is bias whatsoever. Do you disagree with any of my rankings? If you do, I might have to say you're the one being bias.

Last edited by Joey Moss: 12-05-2012 at 10:54 PM.
Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 12:42 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamic Duo 934 View Post
The Oilers play like individuals? Really? That's your argument?
Yes because they don't play a system. They play as individual players, so they are going to need to outscore their opponents. The last few years they've looked a bit lost and it looks like they are all playing their own game.

Old
12-06-2012, 01:45 AM
Parise9Crosby87

it's too hard to say

Parise9Crosby87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 02:06 AM
Aceonfire
Las Vegas Aces

I think these 2 teams are going to have a bitter rivalry over the next 5 years or so.

*Heatley
*Division rivals in both AHL, NHL
*OKC injured 2 of the Aeros stars
*The AHL teams face each other 12 times this year
*Assuming their is a season, the schedule will most likely have more games within the division to save on travel time and make condensed games easier

As for which will be better? Now, Minni.....in a few years the Oil for sure.

Aceonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 02:15 AM
Qrispy

Quote:
Yes because they don't play a system. They play as individual players, so they are going to need to outscore their opponents. The last few years they've looked a bit lost and it looks like they are all playing their own game.
You should just stop while you're behind.

Qrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 02:16 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
That may change as their roster changes a little over the next few years, kids mature and get better, coaching change etc.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 08:49 AM
SMantzas
Church of Corsi

Quote:
Maybe because one team plays a defensive style and the other plays run and gun? The Flyers win a lot of high scoring games, does that mean they don't "play as a team"?

SMantzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 09:23 AM
worraps
Acceptance

vCash: 50
Quote:
Maybe because one team plays a defensive style and the other plays run and gun? The Flyers win a lot of high scoring games, does that mean they don't "play as a team"?
Another group that didn't 'play as a team':

worraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 10:49 AM
nally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
Over the course of the year his defense has been a pleasant surprise.
Isn't he leading the AHL in plus/minus

nally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 01:15 PM
TZM
Par too easy

I'm givin a homer vote for Wild.

Oilers still need to move their pieces quite a bit to finish their puzzle. Three first overalls (+Ebs and Schultz) are a great foundation for their offense but it's not enough for a deep playoff run. GMs still needs to pull off some great trades/picks/UFA signings.

Looking at Wild's mix of players, it's very good. It's not only a team you can build on. It's a team that already can make it to the playoffs.

Both need to make changes in their lineups but I think Wild needs to do less. Oilers need to upgrade their defense and depth, Wild needs firepower and possibly a new goalie. Zucker, Coyle and Granlund may ease the situation but there's still a hole. Too much depend on Heatley and Parise. Oilers on the other hand has great goal scorers but lack guys like Koivu. I find Wild as a better team as a whole.

So what I'm trying to say is that Wild is less of a question mark. I just find it more realistical that Wild will be a better team overall next season or, let's say, in five years.

TZM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 01:18 PM
svat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
Notable prospects? I can list Marincin, Gernat, Musil, Bunz, Rieder, Zharkov as some more notable prospects. There is nothing in my post that is bias whatsoever. Do you disagree with any of my rankings? If you do, I might have to say you're the one being bias.
"if you disagree with my clear bias, it means you're biased"

svat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 04:08 PM
Joseppi

vCash: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by nally View Post
Isn't he leading the AHL in plus/minus
I'd say that has to do more with his 31 points in 20 games than his defensive prowess.

That said, the effort has been there. He's been burned a few times and learned some hard lessons, but the commitment is there to the defensive game. It's just not there yet

Joseppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 04:36 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakuBOT View Post
You should just stop while you're behind.
Why? Because you have no argument against the contrary? I've watched the Baby Oils play and while they might have some scorers, they don't look like a team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
That may change as their roster changes a little over the next few years, kids mature and get better, coaching change etc.
That maybe but for now, it is what it is and that's a bunch of individual pieces trying to play their own game. They definitely need to get a coach out there. They might have a good game here and there and then look like crap the next. Personally, they should have plastered Houston but they didn't.

Quote:
That's only half of it. The Oilers have great components but those components haven't seem to have gelled together to make a good team yet. When they get on the same page, they will be a dominant force but they need a better coach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
Another group that didn't 'play as a team':

Oh yes! the 80s! Where goaltenders didn't know butterfly and teams could end up playing like that. I didn't know that the game was going backwards!

Old
12-06-2012, 06:56 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Why? Because you have no argument against the contrary? I've watched the Baby Oils play and while they might have some scorers, they don't look like a team.

That maybe but for now, it is what it is and that's a bunch of individual pieces trying to play their own game. They definitely need to get a coach out there. They might have a good game here and there and then look like crap the next. Personally, they should have plastered Houston but they didn't.

That's only half of it. The Oilers have great components but those components haven't seem to have gelled together to make a good team yet. When they get on the same page, they will be a dominant force but they need a better coach.

Oh yes! the 80s! Where goaltenders didn't know butterfly and teams could end up playing like that. I didn't know that the game was going backwards!
Play like a team? Like play the most boring system hockey has ever seen? Thats sure worked out great for them. Minnys team "system" is going to sufficate Grandlund and Dumbas playmaking skills. So theres going to be alot more 2-1 losses in the future

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 06:58 PM
topchowda

Quote:
They got a new coach, but since theres a lock out he hasnt been able to coach. How did you determine him to be bad and thus need to get better. NHL 13 gm league?

Old
12-06-2012, 07:27 PM
Jbcraig1883

Quote:
Play like a team? Like play the most boring system hockey has ever seen? Thats sure worked out great for them. Minnys team "system" is going to sufficate Grandlund and Dumbas playmaking skills. So theres going to be alot more 2-1 losses in the future
This is absolute garbage. You might disagree with what another poster has said but this is ridiculous nonsense.

Jbcraig1883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 07:31 PM
Joe Hallenback

The answer is pretty simple. Oilers

They have all those 1st overalls,Shultz,and Eberle. That is top end stuff right there. That is all that matters.

Who cares about depth guys. Any GM would want the Oiler guys. Any. Depth guys come and go. Those top end guys do not. That is why the Wild had to go and get Parise and Suter. They don't have the the top end guys already there.

Joe Hallenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 07:36 PM
Kris Chreider
Pass Off The Pads

Minnesota is going to be the better team for 5 or 8 years. The only thing I'm worried about is that by the time our prospects develop into studs, Parise, Koivu, and Suter will all be gone. Edmonton has close to zero depth after the big 5.

Kris Chreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 07:37 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbcraig1883 View Post
This is absolute garbage. You might disagree with what another poster has said but this is ridiculous nonsense.
That certain systems can negatively impact certain players styles? Look at Ovy when he had to play a more defensive minded system. The trap isnt the best fit for playmakers.

Old
12-06-2012, 08:09 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
That certain systems can negatively impact certain players styles? Look at Ovy when he had to play a more defensive minded system. The trap isnt the best fit for playmakers.
So we still play the trap, huh? News to me.

Dr Jan Itor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 08:50 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopperking View Post
And what sort of contracts do you suppose the three #1 overalls + Eberle will warrant?

Plus they've got Shultz who, if he's everything he's cracked up to be will be getting payed too
Because Pittsburgh couldn't afford Crosby, Malkin and Fleury (and the Oilers kids won't be as good as Sid or Geno).

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 08:51 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
The old coach wanted it that way. New coach = new system.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote