The Hockey World Turns Up the Heat V

Closed Thread

Old
11-30-2012, 03:04 PM
Karitimes
JetsJetsJets

vCash: 500
Edit: more or less in reply to #469 and #471

I don't feel the game is that complicated. There are 5 ways to stop play (over the glass, in the net, icing, offside or penalty) otherwise it's ongoing, which is great for energy and momentum. There are anomaly's of course (injury, octopi, etc.)

Penalties are another kettle of fish but that's why you have jumbotrons and replays, to see what the infraction is or whether its human error on the refs part. But the ref's discretion is left to our discretion which is left to the other team's fans discretion, so like any sport it's not without controversy at times, but for the most part without the clutch and grab, stick infractions are clearly stick infractions. The roughing, charging, diving, holding, elbowing, kneeing, interference are and will always be necessary discretion calls that you hope the refs get right... or maybe wrong in your favour.

There are rules that without a doubt need refining or adoption. I like what the IIHF uses for crease violations and hits to the head. When it comes to icing, I can't get on board with no touch icing. It eliminates some great set plays, keeps defenders honest, and can help tired offenses that should have to win every inch of the ice to get back in the game when they're down in the late stages. Too much drama thwarted.

I'm 50/50 on the trapezoid. I'd much rather watch Kari than Marty handling the puck from an efficiency POV at least. That is, in part because I enjoy the speed of the post lockout game and feel that the wandering goalie dilutes the speed and flow on the small ice. The same effect is not as noticeable on the big european ice. And I appreciate an elite puckstopper who can handle the puck over an elite puckhandler that can stop the puck.

Goalies now play it in when they have to play it and then get out of the way. You had too many goalies doing the "look-at-me, I haven't had a shot against in while, I better try to play every puck imaginable." Something had to be done curtail it.

Maybe they don't need the current trapezoid, but the trapezoid could be made smaller or a delay of game penalty is an option when it's impeding play because we know the goalie will never be fair game. More discretion for the officials or a trapezoid?

Last edited by Karitimes: 11-30-2012 at 03:16 PM.
Old
11-30-2012, 04:25 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Concussions aren't an issue caused by something in the game, they're an issue with the equipment. That's why it's a problem throughout hockey, not just the NHL. Bauer, Reebok, Easton, etc. are all cutting corners with their helmets (focusing more on how light and thin they can make them as opposed to how protective they are), and shoulder pads are like bricks compared to what players used to wear. Change those two things and concussions won't be nearly the problem they are today. The speed of the game isn't the problem; the equipment is.

As for icing, no touch icing is a ***** and a terrible idea. They've implemented it in the league I play in and I absolutely hate it. Miss a breakaway pass and it ends up being icing, pretty much killing what could've been a solid play even without the breakaway.

What they're using in the AHL is probably my favorite idea. For those that don't know, it's no touch icing, but if a player on the offending team gets below the faceoff dots before any player from the opposing team, the play continues. Takes out the risk of going into the boards hard, but still gives you a chance to keep the play alive if you miss a pass or are rushing hard. That's what I think the NHL should do.

Old
11-30-2012, 05:13 PM
Fly Like a C5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Concussions aren't an issue caused by something in the game, they're an issue with the equipment. That's why it's a problem throughout hockey, not just the NHL. Bauer, Reebok, Easton, etc. are all cutting corners with their helmets (focusing more on how light and thin they can make them as opposed to how protective they are), and shoulder pads are like bricks compared to what players used to wear. Change those two things and concussions won't be nearly the problem they are today. The speed of the game isn't the problem; the equipment is.

Helmets are there to protect the skull from being fractured not to prevent concussions. Up to a certain point, helmets can help reduce the occurrence of concussions. However, at a certain point your start dealing with so much energy that modern materials cannot provide the protection needed to prevent a concussion (without making the helmet so large that it would unrealistic to wear it). You also have to consider that a concussion can occur without a direct impact to the skull. No helmet will protect or have any effect against those types of concussions.

Old
12-01-2012, 12:58 AM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
What they're using in the AHL is probably my favorite idea. For those that don't know, it's no touch icing, but if a player on the offending team gets below the faceoff dots before any player from the opposing team, the play continues. Takes out the risk of going into the boards hard, but still gives you a chance to keep the play alive if you miss a pass or are rushing hard. That's what I think the NHL should do.
That should be easy enough to explain to a first time viewer.

Old
12-01-2012, 02:25 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Quote:

As for icing, no touch icing is a ***** and a terrible idea. They've implemented it in the league I play in and I absolutely hate it. Miss a breakaway pass and it ends up being icing, pretty much killing what could've been a solid play even without the breakaway.

What?!

Yeah concussions came from the clutch and grab era as well, but was it this rampant? Hell no. Lindros played with his head down and everybody knows it. You're taught from mites and up to ALWAYS keep your head up.

The fact that they're allowing younger age groups to do full contact is a phenomenal idea by USA hockey, and it'll pay off. Props to them for that.

Just because there are concussions doesn't mean that there's more contact. Look at all of the hits where concussions are coming from. Notice a pattern? All very high speed and carelessness (refs police the game now, not the players)

Old
12-02-2012, 02:19 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Then don't miss the pass? Giving linesmen the ability to make judgement calls isn't working. No one even understands the current rule. Was it an intended pass or not? Should it be waived off or not? It needs to be simple. Shoot the puck over the end line from your side of the ice without touching anyone = icing. Anyone could get the hang of that. How many icings are actually beaten out by the team that iced the puck? Not very many. The vast majority are just a waste of time waiting for the the player to go touch the puck. Speed the game up.

Furthermore, I believe icing should be in effect during penalty kills. Why does a team that committed a penalty get a bonus ability that doesn't exist normally? It makes no sense. Force the PKers to gain the red line as usual. If they ice it make them stay out there, don't let them change. You'd see scoring go up in a hurry.

Last edited by piqued: 12-02-2012 at 02:26 PM.
Old
12-02-2012, 02:53 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
What?!

Yeah concussions came from the clutch and grab era as well, but was it this rampant? Hell no. Lindros played with his head down and everybody knows it. You're taught from mites and up to ALWAYS keep your head up.

The fact that they're allowing younger age groups to do full contact is a phenomenal idea by USA hockey, and it'll pay off. Props to them for that.

Just because there are concussions doesn't mean that there's more contact. Look at all of the hits where concussions are coming from. Notice a pattern? All very high speed and carelessness (refs police the game now, not the players)
I worded that part pretty badly. That is one thing that's key though, keeping your head up (which isn't taught very well anymore).

Old
12-02-2012, 03:10 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
Then don't miss the pass? Giving linesmen the ability to make judgement calls isn't working. No one even understands the current rule. Was it an intended pass or not? Should it be waived off or not? It needs to be simple. Shoot the puck over the end line from your side of the ice without touching anyone = icing. Anyone could get the hang of that. How many icings are actually beaten out by the team that iced the puck? Not very many. The vast majority are just a waste of time waiting for the the player to go touch the puck. Speed the game up.

Furthermore, I believe icing should be in effect during penalty kills. Why does a team that committed a penalty get a bonus ability that doesn't exist normally? It makes no sense. Force the PKers to gain the red line as usual. If they ice it make them stay out there, don't let them change. You'd see scoring go up in a hurry.
Haven't ever really thought about this, but I've got to say it's a really great idea.

Old
12-02-2012, 04:15 PM
Brand New Stars

Scoring would go WAY up one would assume.

Old
12-02-2012, 05:40 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 627
NHLPA decertifying?

Might happen, and that could only be good news for any progress on this damn lockout....

12-02-2012, 07:37 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brand New Stars View Post
Scoring would go WAY up one would assume.
I'm not so sure. It could have the opposite effect, and make players accountable for their actions.

Old
12-02-2012, 09:04 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
I'm not so sure. It could have the opposite effect, and make players accountable for their actions.
How much it would go up is debatable but scoring would definitely increase.

Old
12-05-2012, 10:24 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

****ing ****. Following twitter tonight has me pumped for a season. **** you NHL. You're an addiction I'll never be able to shake. Damn bully.

Old
12-05-2012, 10:28 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
****ing ****. Following twitter tonight has me pumped for a season. **** you NHL. You're an addiction I'll never be able to shake. Damn bully.
Podium maniaaaaaaaa

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Old
12-05-2012, 10:55 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Don't understand why the league is even talking about playing on Christmas Day atm. Way more important things to figure out before it gets to that. Think it's stupid to go up against the NBA anyways.

Old
12-05-2012, 11:03 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

I don't see how anybody could hate that. You don't have to tolerate your family! Just watch a game Sounds like a good ****in deal to me.

Pretty pissed realignment seems to be off.

Old
12-05-2012, 11:05 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Pretty pissed realignment seems to be off.
That was never going to get decided before whatever season they have this year.

Next year that'll definitely change with Winnipeg still in the Southeast. Will be livid if we get stuck in the Pacific.

Old
12-06-2012, 01:54 AM
piqued
Global Moderator

Saw a blurb in one of Russo's latest blog entries that included quotes from Goligoski which I thought was noteworthy since basically no Stars players have said anything about the lockout and don't really seem to be that involved.

Old
12-06-2012, 07:16 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

We haven't talked too much about the specifics of the lockout on this board, and thank God for that, but one thing that I really don't understand at the moment is why the players seem to be against a 10 year term for the new CBA. It strikes me as a huge win for the players to have as long of a term as possible (provided that they're not accepting a brutal deal) since they continually get walked back by the owners every time the deal expires and there's a new set of negotiations. They gain nothing, it's only a question of how much they're giving up this time. They benefit when the league is on stable footing and revenues are going up and thus their share.

Old
12-06-2012, 07:46 PM
TrillMike

Bettman/daley on tsn 1290 momentarily. (Use tunein radio to stream all day for free).

Old
12-06-2012, 07:47 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

These people clearly don't give a **** about the game.

Old
12-06-2012, 08:04 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

So much media spin, that I have no idea who's even telling the truth now.

Players want more money and guarantees in a struggling league, in a country where the sport isn't even #5 now.

Owners want to pay players less and less, get sponsors happy, and dictate everything.

Where the **** does it begin and where the **** does it end?

Do any of you ****ing ****** understand that the people who even pay for any of this **** are going without the game? WE pay your salaries, WE pay for your ****ing stadiums, WE buy your merchandise, and WE follow you like a ****ing religion.

Get ****ed NHL. Get ****ed. All of you involved. Get ****ed.

Old
12-06-2012, 09:30 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 627
I've been overly pessimistic regarding this entire process....won't be gloating when/if the season is called off, and I won't exactly be elated if it's saved tomorrow.

Don't really care at this point. They've had more than enough time to come to an agreement, but greed rules the day in the NHL.

So it's been on the backburner for now. Gonna stay there, too, I bet, at least for a while longer.

Old
12-06-2012, 09:57 PM
FrailSwan
A-B-We Stole Your C

Fantastic, heated argument on Toronto radio over the cba, if anyone cares to listen.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2012...toronto/11978/

Fehr will be the reason we have a lost season if there is one.

Old
12-06-2012, 10:01 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrailSwan View Post
Fantastic, heated argument on Toronto radio over the cba, if anyone cares to listen.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2012...toronto/11978/

Fehr will be the reason we have a lost season if there is one.
All hail the holy Bettman?

Closed Thread