Around The League - Hockey is back!

Closed Thread

Old
12-04-2012, 11:40 PM
Gibson Les Palms

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post
No offense to you, but this is pure madness. It's groundhog day again. Do they really expect anybody to believe this ****?
I'm just summarizing the main events today.

This whole process has been so negative that I try to look for the positives. It sounds like today was the best day, but if in fact it blows up, then so be it. We all have better stuff to do anyway.

Old
12-05-2012, 12:02 AM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus Teemu View Post
I'm just summarizing the main events today.

This whole process has been so negative that I try to look for the positives. It sounds like today was the best day, but if in fact it blows up, then so be it. We all have better stuff to do anyway.
I understand. My comment wasn't directed at you the messenger but at the morons who put that crap out. I tried to say that in my first response. I apologize if it didn't come across more clearly.

At this point in time both sides just need to **** until there is a season to announce. If there isn't one then they need to stay buried in hibernation until there is.

edit: Well, I see there is another four letter acronym that has been banned. Sheesh.

Old
12-05-2012, 02:30 AM
Crazy8oooo
k ؃

Question for those who might know...if the season is cancelled, what happens with the upcoming FA's? Will teams be given a window of time to try to re-sign those players or do the teams just lose them on the spot, once a new CBA is signed? (Assuming it's signed after the date players would become FA's) Is there even any precedence for this?

Old
12-05-2012, 01:21 PM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy8oooo View Post
Question for those who might know...if the season is cancelled, what happens with the upcoming FA's? Will teams be given a window of time to try to re-sign those players or do the teams just lose them on the spot, once a new CBA is signed? (Assuming it's signed after the date players would become FA's) Is there even any precedence for this?

I'm sure that will be decided as part of whatever new CBA is agreed to.

Old
12-05-2012, 02:41 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy8oooo View Post
Last lockout they had a small window. The lockout officially ended on July 22 and the UFA period began August 1st. So we would likely have about a week or maybe slightly more to get Perry and Getzlaf extended. It certainly wouldn't be ideal and if they got that close to being unrestricted I don't see why either wouldn't test the market.

Old
12-05-2012, 03:00 PM
DarthYenik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
Last lockout they had a small window. The lockout officially ended on July 22 and the UFA period began August 1st. So we would likely have about a week or maybe slightly more to get Perry and Getzlaf extended. It certainly wouldn't be ideal and if they got that close to being unrestricted I don't see why either wouldn't test the market.
Making two or three million dollars per year more on a team willing to sign them for 10 years maybe.

At this point I only really want an end to the lockout so the Ducks can negotiate for an extended period of time. But to tell the truth, I'm not feeling too optimistic about keeping both. Even if they want to play together.

Old
12-05-2012, 03:29 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthYenik View Post
Making two or three million dollars per year more on a team willing to sign them for 10 years maybe.

At this point I only really want an end to the lockout so the Ducks can negotiate for an extended period of time. But to tell the truth, I'm not feeling too optimistic about keeping both. Even if they want to play together.
Depends on revenue sharing rules. If the Ducks get a large infusion of cash they may well be able to afford both. Also, they can roll Selanne's salary into what those two get.

I'm praying that the circumvention contracts are actually killed vs the NHLPA proposal to allow them but sorta punish a team if the retire in the future - teams will still hand them out like candy because they assume the cap penalty in 10-15 years will be negligible or will be tradable to a cap floor team.

Old
12-05-2012, 04:43 PM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
Depends on revenue sharing rules. If the Ducks get a large infusion of cash they may well be able to afford both. Also, they can roll Selanne's salary into what those two get.

I'm praying that the circumvention contracts are actually killed vs the NHLPA proposal to allow them but sorta punish a team if the retire in the future - teams will still hand them out like candy because they assume the cap penalty in 10-15 years will be negligible or will be tradable to a cap floor team.
You will have to excuse my cynicism but I think the main reason GMs will still hand them out is that they know they (the GM) will be long gone before the team has to pay the piper. It won't be their problem.

Old
12-05-2012, 05:46 PM
Paul4587

TSN guys are pessimistic. Funny how now that proposals have started to be presented it's not looking so good again.

Old
12-05-2012, 06:17 PM
Gibson Les Palms

Real_ESPNLeBrun

Warm and fuzzy feelings from last night are gone. Things are tense heading into tonight's meeting. Pivotal session that will tell the tale

Old
12-06-2012, 10:13 AM
KelVarnsen
Trade Etem!

So everything was moving in the right direction and now Fehr wants back in on the negotiations? I expect the meetings to be really short after he enters. On with the lockout.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:13 AM
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!

They just gives you a belief that the NHL may come back and then reveals that, no, they were wrong. In that way they keep us ''excited'' as they can about NHL.

Didn`t fell for this yesterday when everyone was reporting that it may be close. I just don`t believe in them.

Old
12-06-2012, 12:35 PM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalvinators View Post
They just gives you a belief that the NHL may come back and then reveals that, no, they were wrong. In that way they keep us ''excited'' as they can about NHL.

Didn`t fell for this yesterday when everyone was reporting that it may be close. I just don`t believe in them.
Did they have a signed document? See video below:

Old
12-06-2012, 02:34 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalvinators View Post
It's been like this the whole time and it will continue to be like this until it's done. Everyone is so fickle about how the process is going. Also the phrase "make or break day" is used way too often.

Last edited by Paul4587: 12-06-2012 at 06:01 PM.
Old
12-06-2012, 06:01 PM
Paul4587

From what Lebrun etc are saying on twitter, it sounds like the PA made a ton of concessions in their latest offer and they're not far apart at all. Hopefully the owners don't **** this up from here.

Old
12-06-2012, 07:01 PM
Gibson Les Palms

It's all blowing up now.

Old
12-06-2012, 07:04 PM
Paul4587

Last nights offer was take it or leave it and when the PA tried to negotiate off it the NHL throws a tantrum and goes home.

Who is it that's not willing to negotiate now Gary?

As for where we're at, how are they going to lose a whole season over what now seems such a small amount. Does it really matter if max contracts are 5/7 or 7/8 years? If the owners didn't find ways to exploit contract loopholes in the first place the argument over contract lengths wouldn't matter nearly as much.

Old
12-06-2012, 07:20 PM
Exit Dose

Owners weren't the only ones exploiting those things.

Old
12-06-2012, 07:23 PM
Gibson Les Palms

Bettman just ripped the PA to shreds. Highly entertaining PC.

Old
12-06-2012, 07:23 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
Owners weren't the only ones exploiting those things.
The owners are the ones signing off on those contracts. What is a player meant to do, turn down a contract that sets them and their families up for life?

Old
12-06-2012, 07:24 PM
Exit Dose

Players and agents were pushing for those contracts. It's not a one-way street.

They had just as much of an obligation to observe the spirit of the previous CBA.

Old
12-06-2012, 07:26 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Bettman just ripped the PA to shreds. Highly entertaining PC.
I wouldn't say he ripped the PA to shreds. More like had a hissy fit on national TV. I do agree the PC was highly entertaining though.

Old
12-06-2012, 07:28 PM
Gibson Les Palms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
I wouldn't say he ripped the PA to shreds. More like had a hissy fit on national TV. I do agree the PC was highly entertaining though.
Well I guess we just disagree then. I thought it was a very direct, substantive, yet professional attack on the whole PA facade.

It's still a shame that it's come down to this.

Old
12-06-2012, 07:30 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Well I guess we just disagree then. I thought it was a very direct, substantive, yet professional attack on the whole PA facade.
Most will disagree with me. I think I'm one of the few pro player posters left on these boards. I think Fehr is doing a great job of getting in the way of things and want him gone but Bettman and the ownership side of things absolutely disgusts me.

Old
12-06-2012, 08:47 PM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

I like the idea of teams being able to offer their own UFAs more years (7) than other teams UFAs (5). That could be huge to smaller market teams like the Ducks and others. I really hope this makes it's way into the final deal.

Closed Thread