HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Cap Issue will not delay UFA signings. Set at 43.5

Old
05-28-2006, 11:25 PM
Captain Ron

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Wolverine
Spongebob, you definitely need to add Gleason to your list of RFA's. His salary will be thankfully small, well under $1 million, since he only made $0.646 M this year.
I knew I was forgetting somebody....thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Wolverine
If Belanger is indeed a Group II (RFA), then my understanding is that all he would need is an offer that is 105% of his contract this year, $0.758 M. So we could retain him for less than $1 M... I think.
You are correct....but I am assuming that Lombardi will probably try to re-sign Belanger to a new contract somewhere in the $1 million range......but that is just my assumption.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2006, 12:45 AM
Mr_Jones*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WpgKings13
All depends on whether DL would rather keep Miller than get next to nothing for him.
If it was up to me, I'd be willing to give him away from free as long as we got rid of his salary and back problems.

Anything more than a 3rd round pick for him, and I'll be overjoyed.

Mr_Jones* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2006, 05:10 AM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust
As much crap as people are giving Miller, people have quickly forgotten that during the first half of the season, Gleason and Miller were the most reliable and dependable defense pairing on the team. Hell, I recall threads and posts of many people thinking Miller was the best defensive defenseman on the team, playing better in his own zone than Norstrom.
Exactly. How quickly people forget. Miller was tremendous in the first half. Remember all of the happiness around here that Gleason was being mentored by Miller?
Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn
I think you forget that for two seasons in a row, Miller had a pretty good first half, had some crippling injury, and came back to play like crap the second half.
Well, I don't remember that. He's never played anywhere near as badly as he did in the last few months of this season. People want to roast him for it, rather than give him the benefit of the doubt for all of the solid play that he's provided 5 years previously. I think that he'll be fine next season and everyone will be super glad that Lombardi didn't listen to them and dump one of the better defensive defensemen in the league (in a new NHL that makes them hot commodities).

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2006, 06:11 AM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey
Well, I don't remember that. He's never played anywhere near as badly as he did in the last few months of this season. People want to roast him for it, rather than give him the benefit of the doubt for all of the solid play that he's provided 5 years previously. I think that he'll be fine next season and everyone will be super glad that Lombardi didn't listen to them and dump one of the better defensive defensemen in the league (in a new NHL that makes them hot commodities).
Honestly... what makes you think he'll be fine next season? Please tell me.

We thought he'd be okay after the lockout, where he had an entire extra year off to rest. And he gets injured. And he played like crap when he returned.

03/04... started the season injured. Comes back and plays okay. Gets injured AGAIN, comes back, and plays like garbage.

02/03... I forget what his problem was this season, probably his back. But he played only 49 games.

So what is so different that warrants anyone wanting to give Miller another season? Please don't tell me that a new coach will make a difference. He's only played more than 60 games 3 times since he started in the NHL, which was back in the 95/96 season, including Crawford.

The guy just isn't fit to play the game the way he plays it. And he doesn't have the offensive tools to change his style of play. I wouldn't be surprised if he retired after this year. I'm that convinced of his health issues.

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2006, 10:25 AM
guzmania

Waiting to have surgery can be prudent especially when there are signs of healing. In Miller's case I would think that seeing him play before blowing him up would be best for the Kings. These surgeries can be career extending much more often than career ending. I think that maybe they waited too long to cut. If he can play consistently pain free for a while some of you will change your tunes. Right now I see Miller as better than 50/50 (asset vs. anchor).

Here's a little chastisement for you great hockey minds-

Just blowing everything up, dismantling it all, is much harder than you think. Advocating dumping this guy or that guy is fantasy island stuff. This amputation fetish is born from frustration. It's an infected toe, don't cut off the leg. If the problem, that was so roundly expounded, was that the coaching staff was the reason for our dismal defensive performance, then you should give the benefit of the doubt to the players involved. Players most any team would want. If it was the players fault why'd we get rid of the coach? We can afford 1 change on defense, and that change probably revolves around Joe Corvo, and most probably does not include Chara. The big moves have already been made.

guzmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2006, 04:07 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
And I don't recall anyone thinking Miller was more reliable defensively than Norstrom. Norstrom was stuck with Corvo.
Norstrom wasn't stuck with Corvo this season. Lubo was for a good chunk of the season. Norstrom was paired with Weaver or Dempsey, then later, Sopel.

The play of Miller (AND Gleason) after the first half of the season went down the tubes.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2006, 06:50 PM
Osprey

I agree completely with guzmania's post. Miller (especially because of the surgery) should be given at the very least the start of the season. It'd be imprudent to consider dumping him earlier and there will be plenty of time before the deadline to still trade him. Also, what guz said about coaching is spot-on. If you believe (as I do) that the coaching staff was a sizeable part of the problem, then it makes sense to see how much the elimination of that problem mitigates or even heals the other problems.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2006, 07:45 PM
ILuvLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzmania
Waiting to have surgery can be prudent especially when there are signs of healing. In Miller's case I would think that seeing him play before blowing him up would be best for the Kings. These surgeries can be career extending much more often than career ending. I think that maybe they waited too long to cut. If he can play consistently pain free for a while some of you will change your tunes. Right now I see Miller as better than 50/50 (asset vs. anchor).

Here's a little chastisement for you great hockey minds-

Just blowing everything up, dismantling it all, is much harder than you think. Advocating dumping this guy or that guy is fantasy island stuff. This amputation fetish is born from frustration. It's an infected toe, don't cut off the leg. If the problem, that was so roundly expounded, was that the coaching staff was the reason for our dismal defensive performance, then you should give the benefit of the doubt to the players involved. Players most any team would want. If it was the players fault why'd we get rid of the coach? We can afford 1 change on defense, and that change probably revolves around Joe Corvo, and most probably does not include Chara. The big moves have already been made.

Good post.

ILuvLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2006, 07:51 PM
devilinto

Well this is the bottom Line. Lombardi is going to come in and want to make some changes. Matty has been the heart and soul of this sad team for a long time. We have no choice but to keep him. Miller and Sopel are the obvious.

Lombardi is going to want to make a splash over here. U know he thinks this team can battle with EDMONTON VERY SOON

I think so to!

devilinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2006, 07:56 PM
devilinto

Pavol Demitra ------------------------------$4.5 million
Lubomir Visnovsky---------------------------$1.824 million
Jason LaBarbera-----------------------------$750,000
Jeff Cowan----------------------------------$532,000
George Parros-------------------------------$450,000
Tom Kostopoulus----------------------------$525,000

Then add in RFA's (with estimated 2006 salaries)

Mathieu Garon------------------------------$1.35 million
Dustin Brown-------------------------------$1.1 million
Mike Cammalleri-----------------------------$1.5 million
Eric Belanger--------------------------------$1 million

Tim Gleason---------------------------------$750,000

I think this should be the base of the team. Frolov could be used in a deal to get another TOP LINE FORWARD OR HELP IN MAKING A MOVE FOR A TOP LINE GOALIE!

devilinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2006, 07:59 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzmania
Yes, because a whole year off during the lockout wasn't enough. Let's give him another year to give us hope of a solid season only to have more problems with his back, or his wrist, before we put him on IR and get one of our many great defensemen from Manchester (Petiot) to take his place.

Quote:
Yes, because the Ducks couldn't do it. The Oilers didn't do it by bringing in Pronger and Peca in one offseason, then Roloson at the trade deadline.

Waive Miller, get rid of him for free. Trade Avery for a conditional pick. Don't re-sign some of our semi-useful RFAs, like Belanger, and save money. We could definitely afford more than 1 change on defense if Lombardi doesn't share your mindset, and nut up a bit. Fedorov and his $6 million, 1 point in 5 games contract was rid of. Are you telling me we can't find a taker for Miller? Or that we'd regret it if we got rid of a physical defenseman who has averaged less than 47 games the past three seasons, with a $2.5 million contract?

As for the causes, there were a couple. The special teams were atrocious, that's to blame on the coaching staff. But some players were cause for the divide that caused the suckiness of 2006 known as the Los Angeles Kings.

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2006, 08:35 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Yes, because a whole year off during the lockout wasn't enough. Let's give him another year to give us hope of a solid season only to have more problems with his back, or his wrist, before we put him on IR and get one of our many great defensemen from Manchester (Petiot) to take his place.

Yes, because the Ducks couldn't do it. The Oilers didn't do it by bringing in Pronger and Peca in one offseason, then Roloson at the trade deadline.

Waive Miller, get rid of him for free. Trade Avery for a conditional pick. Don't re-sign some of our semi-useful RFAs, like Belanger, and save money. We could definitely afford more than 1 change on defense if Lombardi doesn't share your mindset, and nut up a bit. Fedorov and his $6 million, 1 point in 5 games contract was rid of. Are you telling me we can't find a taker for Miller? Or that we'd regret it if we got rid of a physical defenseman who has averaged less than 47 games the past three seasons, with a $2.5 million contract?

As for the causes, there were a couple. The special teams were atrocious, that's to blame on the coaching staff. But some players were cause for the divide that caused the suckiness of 2006 known as the Los Angeles Kings.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote