HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2012-13 Lockout Discussion Part VIIII: "We're Close" "We're Not Close" Edition

Closed Thread

Old
12-06-2012, 08:01 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Thats nothing but a symbolic gesture.

If you really want to be part of a solution, just make sure you dont buy anything NHL-related again.

In the end, all of these *******s are arguing over our money.
NCAA and Ice Hockey for NES for me, thanks. Providence has already been getting my money by purchasing games online.

What a sick joke the NHL has become. Sad. Phenomenal sport. Wrong people marketing it.

Old
12-06-2012, 08:01 PM
alkurtz

Re: Daly's comment about "This is the hill we will die on"......

Are not those words engraved on the tombstone of General Custer?

Old
12-06-2012, 08:02 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Steve Fehr was wearing a sweater straight out of Dr. Huxtable's closet.

Dreger says that Burkle was irate at the Union's dismissal of the increase in make-whole dollars. Tannebaum turned purple.

Old
12-06-2012, 08:02 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Wait so is the season over?

"Owners were beside themselves. Some of them never seen so emotional. Told me the process is over." - Bettman

Old
12-06-2012, 08:03 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
There was leaked info that the real progress between owners and the PA on economic issues was made in a secret meeting in Boston last weekend. The two sides then setup Tuesday's meeting as a PR stunt to show the two sides coming together. And this was revealed on HF on Monday, with everything playing out to the script afterwards (Crosby-Pens owner story, etc).
What's hilarious is they couldn't even do that right. They ****ed it up letting their ego get in the way. All of them. Owners, players, agents, Bettman, the Fehrs, Daly. The whole lot of them.

Old
12-06-2012, 08:04 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callys Chicken Parm View Post

"Owners were beside themselves. Some of them never seen so emotional. Told me the process is over." - Bettman
It certainly looks like it.

Old
12-06-2012, 08:07 PM
DutchShamrock

I thought there was a gag order? Now these owners are holding press conferences? A little too scripted. Its a blend of 2004 and the NBA lockout. Attack Fehr, get your rules accepted and end the discussion.

Old
12-06-2012, 08:08 PM
Rust Heisenberg

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callys Chicken Parm View Post

Wouldn't say that yet. I think the next step is decertification ending the negotiation process...

Old
12-06-2012, 08:11 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
I thought there was a gag order? Now these owners are holding press conferences?
Who and where?

Old
12-06-2012, 08:14 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

http://www.uscho.com/

Old
12-06-2012, 08:16 PM
in the hall

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE / DECEMBER 6, 2012

STATEMENTS FROM RON BURKLE, MARK CHIPMAN, LARRY TANENBAUM & JEFF VINIK

NEW YORK (December 6, 2012)*-- Statements relative to their participation in the collective bargaining agreement negotiations this week were released tonight by Ron Burkle of the Pittsburgh Penguins, Mark Chipman of the Winnipeg Jets, Larry Tanenbaum of the Toronto Maple Leafs and Jeff Vinik of the Tampa Bay Lightning, governors of their respective teams:

Statement from Ron Burkle

The idea to put players and owners together in the same room was a refreshing idea. Commissioner Bettman should be thanked for proposing it and the Fehrs should be thanked for agreeing to it.

The players came with a strong desire to get back to playing hockey. They were professional and did a good job of expressing their concerns and listening to ours.

We wanted to move quickly and decisively. We have all spent too much time without any real progress at the expense of our fans, our sponsor and the communities we serve. It was time to make bold moves and get a deal. Many people think we got over our skis and they are probably right, but we wanted to do everything we could to get back to hockey now. We didn’t hold back.

We made substantial movement on our end quickly, but unfortunately that was not met with the same level of movement from the other side. The players asked us to be patient and keep working with them. It’s not what they do and they wanted us to know they were committed. We understood and appreciated their situation. We came back with an aggressive commitment to pensions which we felt was well received. We needed a response on key items that were important to us, but we were optimistic that we were down to very few issues. I believe a deal was within reach.

We were therefore surprised when the Fehrs made a unilateral and “non-negotiable” decision – which is their right, to end the player/owner process that has moved us farther in two days than we moved at any time in the past months.

I want to thank the players involved for their hard work as we tried to reach a deal.

I hope that going backwards does not prevent a deal.

Statement from Mark Chipman

Mark Chipman, Chairman and Governor of the Winnipeg Jets Hockey Club, today issued the following statement:

“I’d like to thank the NHL for giving me the opportunity to participate in this very important process.

I came here optimistic that we could find a solution. That sense of optimism grew after our first few sessions, including the small group discussions late last night.

Regrettably, we have been unable to close the divide on some critical issues that we feel are essential to the immediate and long-term health of our game.

While I sense there are some members of the players association that understand our perspective on these issues, clearly there are many that don’t.

I am deeply disappointed that we were unable to bring this extremely unfortunate situation to a successful conclusion and I wish to apologize to our fans and sponsors for letting them down.”

Statement from Larry Tanenbaum

“I was pleased to be asked to join the Player/Owner negotiation sessions. I had hoped that my perspective both as a businessman and as one of the owners of the Toronto Maple Leafs would be helpful to the process. Like all other teams, this work stoppage has hurt our fans, our employees and our business. Neither the owners nor the players will ever recover the losses incurred with this work stoppage.

I understand how important it is to have a strong league and 30 healthy teams. I must admit that I was shocked at how things have played out over the last 48 hours. The sessions on Tuesday felt cooperative with an air of goodwill. I was optimistic and conveyed my optimism to the Board of Governors at our Wednesday meeting. However, when we reconvened with the players on Wednesday afternoon, it was like someone had thrown a switch. The atmosphere had completely changed. Nevertheless, the owners tried to push forward and made a number of concessions and proposals, which were not well-received. I question whether the union is interested in making an agreement.

I am very disappointed and disillusioned. Had I not experienced this process myself, I might not have believed it. Like all hockey fans, I am hopeful this situation can be resolved as soon as possible. I miss our game.”

Statement from Jeff Vinik

Tampa Bay Lightning Chairman and Governor Jeff Vinik today issued the follow statement today:

“After working this week with our players toward what we hoped would be a new agreement, owners presented a proposal we believed would benefit those great players, ownership, and, ultimately, our fans for many years to come. *While trust was built and progress was made along the way, unfortunately, our proposal was rejected by the Union's leadership. *My love for the game is only superseded by my commitment to our fans and I hold out hope we can soon join with our players and return the game back to its rightful place on the

Old
12-06-2012, 08:20 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Alright. I was at Toys for Tots before, was able to listen to the Fehr presser on my phone live. Got encouraged, wasn't able to follow after it. Seems like everything went to hell. Can anyone explained to me what happened?

Old
12-06-2012, 08:25 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
Alright. I was at Toys for Tots before, was able to listen to the Fehr presser on my phone live. Got encouraged, wasn't able to follow after it. Seems like everything went to hell. Can anyone explained to me what happened?
Fehr came back to the podium right after his initial presser. Said he had received a voicemail from the owners, they were pissed and everything is off the table. Then Bettman came out half an hour later, said owners were furious and that the process is over.

It's just pain.
Old
12-06-2012, 08:27 PM
GarretJoseph

I think we still have time.....

1. Bettman announced the cancellation of the 2004–05 season on February 16, 2005
That gives us a few more months. Hopefully something happens just before the holidays or after in mid Jan.

2. The 94-95 Lockout ended Jan 11th, 1995 and resulted in 48 games.

Old
12-06-2012, 08:29 PM
ltrangerfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall View Post
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE / DECEMBER 6, 2012

STATEMENTS FROM RON BURKLE, MARK CHIPMAN, LARRY TANENBAUM & JEFF VINIK

NEW YORK (December 6, 2012)*-- Statements relative to their participation in the collective bargaining agreement negotiations this week were released tonight by Ron Burkle of the Pittsburgh Penguins, Mark Chipman of the Winnipeg Jets, Larry Tanenbaum of the Toronto Maple Leafs and Jeff Vinik of the Tampa Bay Lightning, governors of their respective teams:

Statement from Ron Burkle

The idea to put players and owners together in the same room was a refreshing idea. Commissioner Bettman should be thanked for proposing it and the Fehrs should be thanked for agreeing to it.

The players came with a strong desire to get back to playing hockey. They were professional and did a good job of expressing their concerns and listening to ours.

We wanted to move quickly and decisively. We have all spent too much time without any real progress at the expense of our fans, our sponsor and the communities we serve. It was time to make bold moves and get a deal. Many people think we got over our skis and they are probably right, but we wanted to do everything we could to get back to hockey now. We didn’t hold back.

We made substantial movement on our end quickly, but unfortunately that was not met with the same level of movement from the other side. The players asked us to be patient and keep working with them. It’s not what they do and they wanted us to know they were committed. We understood and appreciated their situation. We came back with an aggressive commitment to pensions which we felt was well received. We needed a response on key items that were important to us, but we were optimistic that we were down to very few issues. I believe a deal was within reach.

We were therefore surprised when the Fehrs made a unilateral and “non-negotiable” decision – which is their right, to end the player/owner process that has moved us farther in two days than we moved at any time in the past months.

I want to thank the players involved for their hard work as we tried to reach a deal.

I hope that going backwards does not prevent a deal.

Statement from Mark Chipman

Mark Chipman, Chairman and Governor of the Winnipeg Jets Hockey Club, today issued the following statement:

“I’d like to thank the NHL for giving me the opportunity to participate in this very important process.

I came here optimistic that we could find a solution. That sense of optimism grew after our first few sessions, including the small group discussions late last night.

Regrettably, we have been unable to close the divide on some critical issues that we feel are essential to the immediate and long-term health of our game.

While I sense there are some members of the players association that understand our perspective on these issues, clearly there are many that don’t.

I am deeply disappointed that we were unable to bring this extremely unfortunate situation to a successful conclusion and I wish to apologize to our fans and sponsors for letting them down.”

Statement from Larry Tanenbaum

“I was pleased to be asked to join the Player/Owner negotiation sessions. I had hoped that my perspective both as a businessman and as one of the owners of the Toronto Maple Leafs would be helpful to the process. Like all other teams, this work stoppage has hurt our fans, our employees and our business. Neither the owners nor the players will ever recover the losses incurred with this work stoppage.

I understand how important it is to have a strong league and 30 healthy teams. I must admit that I was shocked at how things have played out over the last 48 hours. The sessions on Tuesday felt cooperative with an air of goodwill. I was optimistic and conveyed my optimism to the Board of Governors at our Wednesday meeting. However, when we reconvened with the players on Wednesday afternoon, it was like someone had thrown a switch. The atmosphere had completely changed. Nevertheless, the owners tried to push forward and made a number of concessions and proposals, which were not well-received. I question whether the union is interested in making an agreement.

I am very disappointed and disillusioned. Had I not experienced this process myself, I might not have believed it. Like all hockey fans, I am hopeful this situation can be resolved as soon as possible. I miss our game.”

Statement from Jeff Vinik

Tampa Bay Lightning Chairman and Governor Jeff Vinik today issued the follow statement today:

“After working this week with our players toward what we hoped would be a new agreement, owners presented a proposal we believed would benefit those great players, ownership, and, ultimately, our fans for many years to come. *While trust was built and progress was made along the way, unfortunately, our proposal was rejected by the Union's leadership. *My love for the game is only superseded by my commitment to our fans and I hold out hope we can soon join with our players and return the game back to its rightful place on the
Too many credible spokesmen in the press release.

I believe I was mistaken. I thought Fehr knew when to fold. I now believe he's never lost in the past and doesn't know when to make a deal. Hockey isn't a major sport with untold resources so it's difficult to push the league to the limit and come out victorious. At a certain point the owners simply don't care if another season is lost. The sides didn't seem so far away so again I'm stunned.

A deal can be put together relatively quickly. The longer the two sides stay apart the more likely the season is done.

Given today's NHL press conference the onus is clearly on the PA to make some kind of move else see you next season. (maybe).

Old
12-06-2012, 08:29 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post

1. Bettman announced the cancellation of the 2004–05 season on February 16, 2005
That gives us a few more months. Hopefully something happens just before the holidays or after in mid Jan.

Bettman stated in the presser they won't play less than 48 games as it destroys the integrity of a season. That gives them about a month.

12-06-2012, 08:31 PM
ltrangerfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
Bettman stated in the presser they won't play less than 48 games as it destroys the integrity of a season. That gives them about a month.
Maybe sooner? Will the sponsors stick if you only play 48 games?

Old
12-06-2012, 08:32 PM
NYRKING30

Nhlol

Old
12-06-2012, 08:38 PM
Riverdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post

At this point **** it. At this point a short season is just insulting. **** this league.

Old
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Bettman Presser

Old
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Since I don't follow the NBA, was the season in this much jeopardy? Did they have breaks in talk like this?

Old
12-06-2012, 08:39 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Welp, this is depressing.

Old
12-06-2012, 08:46 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

adater ‏@adater
Fehr did not hold a player-wide conference call in saying that, important to note. Came from top down, trickle-down
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite

2m adater ‏@adater
That depth player was not on the Avalanche, FYI. That's all I have on this
Expand

2m adater ‏@adater
That deep-inside-players quote came from depth player. They want to play, but top players still in Fehr camp. Could explode soon
Expand

6m adater ‏@adater
@loozerclown 100% golden source
View conversation

7m adater ‏@adater
From deep inside players side: "We were ready to play again. But Don came in (Wed.) and told us we could get more and to hold out"

Oh mama

Old
12-06-2012, 08:47 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Well, on the roller coaster ride, seems like players to blame for latest blunder.

Old
12-06-2012, 09:08 PM
Cresto
Much Disappoint

Who has the power the fire Bettman? Owners?

Closed Thread