HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey
Canadian Junior Hockey Devoted to the CHL (OHL, QMJHL, WHL), CJAHL, and its leagues

EOJHL Regular Season Underway

Old
12-06-2012, 08:24 PM
clear the track

vCash: 500
To the Jr B Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangersfan21 View Post
You must not know the league well...There are plenty of the older players who take their game to a completely different level come play off time when the games count
I am definitely not a Jr B expert. My son played Jr. B to start his career. He is finished hockey now. I have followed one team however for the past ten years in the Metro Leaque. No very little about Rideau St Lawrence except for the odd game.

If I was a coach and had a 20 / 21 year old dogging it because it was just regular season he would be benched. This would happen at any level of hockey reg season playoff whatever.

Its not just older players that raise the level of their game in the playoffs. The whole team does. Occasionally you get one player who rises above the rest. Not always an older player. Example: Paul Byron as a 16 year old literally carried Ottawa West on his back to a Leaque Championship. Its the nature of the game. Its the team that as a whole that raises their game that is going to be successful. The Jr B rankings whether statistically correct or not are entertainment at best. Its fun to talk about. I am sure we can talk about Clarence Creek being ranked too high til the cows come home.

Gatineau and Ottawa I think deserve to be where they are and if they raise their level
of play as teams in the playoffs they will be tough to beat. Having said that I am sure
there is a team from the Valley or Rideau St Lawrence that could very well prove me wrong. That is what is great about the playoffs in any league.

But I defer to you the expert.

clear the track is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 08:27 PM
Matrix20027

Trades

I would like to know why some teams make trades and add the clause player x can not be traded back into y division. Three trades this year Nov 28 Shawville and Ottawa, Oct 24th Westport and Perth, Athens and Stittsville. You trade a player thats means you don't want him why would you add that clause?

Matrix20027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 09:55 PM
PG

Quote:
Originally Posted by clear the track View Post
I am definitely not a Jr B expert. My son played Jr. B to start his career. He is finished hockey now. I have followed one team however for the past ten years in the Metro Leaque. No very little about Rideau St Lawrence except for the odd game.

If I was a coach and had a 20 / 21 year old dogging it because it was just regular season he would be benched. This would happen at any level of hockey reg season playoff whatever.

Its not just older players that raise the level of their game in the playoffs. The whole team does. Occasionally you get one player who rises above the rest. Not always an older player. Example: Paul Byron as a 16 year old literally carried Ottawa West on his back to a Leaque Championship. Its the nature of the game. Its the team that as a whole that raises their game that is going to be successful. The Jr B rankings whether statistically correct or not are entertainment at best. Its fun to talk about. I am sure we can talk about Clarence Creek being ranked too high til the cows come home.

Gatineau and Ottawa I think deserve to be where they are and if they raise their level
of play as teams in the playoffs they will be tough to beat. Having said that I am sure
there is a team from the Valley or Rideau St Lawrence that could very well prove me wrong. That is what is great about the playoffs in any league.

Well said Clear The Track.....I don't buy it for a moment that players don't give a good effort during the regular season....and its only natural players raise their intensity during the playoffs - that's hockey

PG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 03:45 PM
clear the track

Sam Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG View Post
Well said Clear The Track.....I don't buy it for a moment that players don't give a good effort during the regular season....and its only natural players raise their intensity during the playoffs - that's hockey
I would be remiss if i did not mention the heart and soul of the Ottawa West team that Byron played for was Sam Magic (hope i spelled that right). He had a great Jr B career that culminated in a League championship. He was a 21 yr old at the time that did not take a shift off whether it was exhib, reg season or playoffs. Apologies to the rest of that team who I have not mentioned.

Old
12-07-2012, 03:48 PM
Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix20027 View Post
I would like to know why some teams make trades and add the clause player x can not be traded back into y division. Three trades this year Nov 28 Shawville and Ottawa, Oct 24th Westport and Perth, Athens and Stittsville. You trade a player thats means you don't want him why would you add that clause?
Its not always the team that doesn't want the player, sometimes the player wants out from the team. The teams will not a player that doesn't want to be there, but if you trade him to another team in the division he may burn you in the playoffs.

Flyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 07:45 PM
Matrix20027

Not all the time

I would love to say what I like but can't. I will wait and see what happens on or before the January deadline. After the deadline I will tell the story on how I feel and what I think of the politics in the Junior B. I could write a book on minor hockey why some kids make a team and some don't. I was president of a minor hockey association and it hurts when I see kids treated the way they are.

Old
12-07-2012, 08:40 PM
PG

Quote:
I would love to say what I like but can't. I will wait and see what happens on or before the January deadline. After the deadline I will tell the story on how I feel and what I think of the politics in the Junior B. I could write a book on minor hockey why some kids make a team and some don't. I was president of a minor hockey association and it hurts when I see kids treated the way they are.
Thats what the forum is for...share

Old
12-07-2012, 09:21 PM
Rangersfan21

Quote:

The problem is that the 20/21 year old has played in the league for years or has come down from jr.a and does not need to put the effort in to still be an average or above average player. It is also understood at jr.b that some of the older players come in to camp out of shape. It is just the nature of Jr.b, it is a much more relaxed environment

Rangersfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 11:30 AM
KL14

Big Noise being made by the Almonte Thunder

Attended the last two Almonte games where they made both Arnprior and Renfrew look less than average. Almonte has had a short bench, 3 lines and looks like 5 d, buy are getting outstanding goal tending from a guy who handles the puck as well as any defencemen on their team. Very good speed up front that can jump all over the stretch passes. There is still many games left for both Arnprior and Renfrew to be caught for fourth place if Almonte can continue their current level of play.

KL14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 11:58 AM
ottawafan66

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL14 View Post
Attended the last two Almonte games where they made both Arnprior and Renfrew look less than average. Almonte has had a short bench, 3 lines and looks like 5 d, buy are getting outstanding goal tending from a guy who handles the puck as well as any defencemen on their team. Very good speed up front that can jump all over the stretch passes. There is still many games left for both Arnprior and Renfrew to be caught for fourth place if Almonte can continue their current level of play.
And it didn't hurt that Almonte had Luke Martin (CP Canadians) playing. He had 2 goals and could have easily had a hat trick if he had been a bit more selfish. Goes to show what a classy guy he is and why he's captain of his Jr. A team. I'm sure Almonte wishes they could keep him for the rest of the season but they'll have to wait until next year...if he doesn't commit somewhere.

ottawafan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 07:42 AM
PG

Jets 4 Packers 3 (SO)

Packers had Metcalfe down 3-0 but the Jets clawed back with seven regulars out with injuries, including five forwards, and eked out a 4-3 shoot out win.....game supposed to start at 730....did not get underway until 845 - way too late for a Sunday night game with bad weather hitting on the way home as well....poor ice time management

Old
12-10-2012, 08:19 AM
EpicNeilTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG View Post
Packers had Metcalfe down 3-0 but the Jets clawed back with seven regulars out with injuries, including five forwards, and eked out a 4-3 shoot out win.....game supposed to start at 730....did not get underway until 845 - way too late for a Sunday night game with bad weather hitting on the way home as well....poor ice time management
Same thing that happened with Ottawa West.

EpicNeilTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 02:06 PM
KL14

Metcalfe/Arnprior

Arnprior had it's full line up last night...couple real soft goals on Arnrpior and the Metcalfe goalie was on fire, particularly in overtime...Arnprior seemed to panic when they had the lead. At the start of the game they were going with four lines and six d, Then too much coaching happened, they shortened the bench to two lines and four d and Metcalfe just kept coming. Again, refereeing is inconsistent, but it was that way they for both teams.

Not sure what happened with the ice. Arnprior needs to sort this out. I agree, an 8:45 start is far too late on any night let alone a Sunday. Good thing the Metcalfe people showed up to support their team. The numbers there supporting Arnprior had to be below 100.

Old
12-11-2012, 03:26 PM
Big Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL14 View Post
I hear what your saying but did Renfrew's big players return? I have heard that the 2 asst coaches in Arnprior were releived of their duties and replaced. Would any of the factors play into your theory of Almonte catching either team?

Big Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 03:30 PM
Big Bear

Quote:
I agree politics are brutual when it comes to minor hockey and that is sad. This is probably why when kids get to jr and dont make a team because there arent many politics "little johnny" is upset cause the parents cant throw their weight around and get them onto a jr team.

Big Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 03:54 PM
Rangersfan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bear View Post
I agree politics are brutual when it comes to minor hockey and that is sad. This is probably why when kids get to jr and dont make a team because there arent many politics "little johnny" is upset cause the parents cant throw their weight around and get them onto a jr team.
It still happens, there are parents who buy teams so that their kids can play at the jr level

Rangersfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 05:11 PM
KL14

Response to Big Bear - Almonte/Renfrew/Arnprior

Renfrew is still short two top forwards and two top d, but many teams are at this time of year. Almonte just kept skating and did not quit in either game....Arnprior had their full line up against Almonte but came out flat against an Almonte team that had some help from a real Jr A player. Arnprior has picked up one Jr A player but the others that played Jr A are nothing more than average Jr B, at best. Perhaps they will pick their game up as the playoffs get closer.

In terms of coaching changes, yup, two assistants have been replaced by one assistant and thus far the the new coaching team is 0-2 and will have a tough game on Thursday night against the GKnights. It is hard to tell where the problem lays with Arnprior but they need to sort it out real soon.

Renfrew will be fine with Anderson and Riopelle scheduled to be back in the early new year and both Minns expected back by the weekend.

Last edited by KL14: 12-11-2012 at 05:21 PM.
Old
12-11-2012, 07:47 PM
PG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bear View Post
It is sad and it happens if every minor association in Canada....my two sons moved with our family and we either experienced or witnessed the same thing in Ontario, Nova Scotia, and New Brunswick....A, AA, AAA, it makes no difference

It only stops (notwithstanding the ownership item described above) when hockey turns to a business in Junior

Old
12-11-2012, 09:09 PM
clear the track

Quote:
It still happens, there are parents who buy teams so that their kids can play at the jr level
There's a revelation. Watched Perth spank the Ottawa Junior Canadians tonight. Too much individual play by the OJC. Perth out hustled them all night. Brett Madigan had another outstanding night for Perth. Recorded a Hat trick. At present he leads the EOJHL in scoring. Hmmm! A 21 year old. Some one should tell him to slow down.

Old
12-11-2012, 10:43 PM
Flyers

Quote:
There's a revelation. Watched Perth spank the Ottawa Junior Canadians tonight. Too much individual play by the OJC. Perth out hustled them all night. Brett Madigan had another outstanding night for Perth. Recorded a Hat trick. At present he leads the EOJHL in scoring. Hmmm! A 21 year old. Some one should tell him to slow down.
Saw the game as well.. Perth is the real deal. What ever anyone has said about there d being slow is false... They have made a couple changes to there line up and added a couple guys for Jr A. They now have a great top 4 with their captain being moved back to D. Great game though!

Flyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 10:51 PM
hawxfan

Quote:
Yes, I agree, too much individual play by OJC, Madigan of course is something else, boy he can light it up. OJC missing 5 regulars, no excuses, and everyone is missing guys this time of the year with exams, injuries, etc...re-match on Firday nite in Perth, that should be a good game as both lineups should be at full strength with exams over. Hopefully they will have a good crowd cuz it looks like NHL hockey might be a thing of the past for this year...at this point fans have had enough of the crap and will hopefully come out and watch the guys give it there all..

hawxfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 02:37 AM
Lipper50
Rookie User

Was at the Stitsville/Perth game on Sunday. Regarding Madigan, fantastic player but Stittsville seemed to put two defensive forwards in Dube and Bochert out on the ice every time Madigan stepped foot on the ice and it seemed to keep him at bay the last two periods as he was next to invisible. Stitsville pulls out the hard fought overtime win. A very good fast paced game to watch. Perth goaltending and defence looked very solid.

Lipper50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 11:31 PM
Matrix20027

yes your right

Quote:
If you go back 3 years I think 7 junior A teams had owners who had sons on the teams they owned. I can't blame them my son's not good enough buy a team. The Colts had a owner a few years back and his son turned out to be a not bad D man after 5 years. I think they are doing it again this year? Kanata 2 years ago his son looked like bambi when he was on the ice and coaches lost their jobs because he did not get ice time. Money can buy you anything you want but it does come with a price.
Junior B is not any better Casselman in the St.Lawrence and Westport in the Rideau run the divison. Just go to the meetings they get what they want. Don't believe me who is hosting the championship next year Casselman why because they wrote the $60,000 dollar cheque. Only one team can afford to fly out to Alberta to scout players. Casselman should be a junior A team. Casselmans first year in the league and they finished one point out of first. How can that happen? Money maybe EOJHL should look at a salary cap.

Old
12-13-2012, 08:55 AM
hurricane11

Quote:
If you go back 3 years I think 7 junior A teams had owners who had sons on the teams they owned. I can't blame them my son's not good enough buy a team. The Colts had a owner a few years back and his son turned out to be a not bad D man after 5 years. I think they are doing it again this year? Kanata 2 years ago his son looked like bambi when he was on the ice and coaches lost their jobs because he did not get ice time. Money can buy you anything you want but it does come with a price.
Junior B is not any better Casselman in the St.Lawrence and Westport in the Rideau run the divison. Just go to the meetings they get what they want. Don't believe me who is hosting the championship next year Casselman why because they wrote the $60,000 dollar cheque. Only one team can afford to fly out to Alberta to scout players. Casselman should be a junior A team. Casselmans first year in the league and they finished one point out of first. How can that happen? Money maybe EOJHL should look at a salary cap.
Couldn't agree more. Both teams get a lot of breaks with the officials on ice and league officials off ice

hurricane11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 09:15 AM
Stittsvillain

Quote:
Don't understand why anyone should have a problem with this. 16 other kids have a place to play cause someone is paying the freight.

Stittsvillain is offline   Reply With Quote