HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CBA Thread, Daniel Bryan Edition: The lockout is (tentatively) over!

Closed Thread

Old
12-06-2012, 07:48 PM
Jacob

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
It's almost refreshing seeing the sentiment here in this forum. When I read through the PHT all the people leaving comments there are all pro players and blaming Bettman for this recent breakdown. It just seems like they're so blinded by an irrational hatred for Bettman that they'll never side with him.
I think people just don't want to admit that their beloved idles are actually greedy morons.

Old
12-06-2012, 07:49 PM
shureshot66
Global Moderator

Full Burkle statement:

Quote:
Ron Burkle, Co-Owner, Pittsburgh Penguins

The idea to put players and owners together in the same room was a refreshing idea. Commissioner Bettman should be thanked for proposing it and the Fehrs should be thanked for agreeing to it.

The players came with a strong desire to get back to playing hockey. They were professional and did a good job of expressing their concerns and listening to ours. We Wanted to move quickly and decisively. We have all spent too much time Without any real progress at the expense of our fans, our sponsors and the communities we serve. It was time to make bold moves and get a deal. Many people think We got over our skis and they are probably right, but We wanted to do everything we could to get back to hockey now. We didn't hold

We made substantial movement on our end quickly, but unfortunately that was not met with the same level of movement from the other side. The players asked us to be patient and keep working with them. |t's not what they do and they Wanted us to know they were committed.

We understood and appreciate their situation. We came back with an aggressive commitment to pensions which we felt was well received. We needed a response on key items that were important to us, but We were optimistic that we were down to very few issues. I believe a deal was within reach.

We were therefore surprised when the Fehrs made a unilateral and "non-negotiable" decision - which is their right, to end the player/owner process that has moved us farther in two days than we have moved at any time in the past months.

I want to thank the players involved for their hard Work as We tried to reach a deal.

I hope that going backwards does not prevent a deal.
Includes similar sentiments from Chipman (WPG), Vinik (TB) and Tanenbaum (TOR).

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=647180

Old
12-06-2012, 07:54 PM
Sivek

Quote:
Originally Posted by shureshot66 View Post
Full Burkle statement:

Includes similar sentiments from Chipman (WPG), Vinik (TB) and Tanenbaum (TOR).

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=647180
Sounds like Fehr didn't like the idea of the meetings making progress and potentially ruining his legacy of shutting down the various North American sports leagues.

I'm not going to be surprised if the NHL comes back in trimmed-back model with a couple of dead weights dropped. There's about 50-60 NHLPA jobs lost forever. Makes you wonder if the NHLPA even realizes that contraction is going to be a real serious consideration after the second lost season in less than 10 years? The poor markets aren't going to get better if you keep cancelling entire seasons every few years. I'd be surprised to see there still be 30 NHL teams 6-8 years from now.

Old
12-06-2012, 08:04 PM
BrunoPuntzJones
Biscuit Scorer

It's just surreal to me at this point.

Old
12-06-2012, 08:10 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
The greed and self-importance on both sides is nothing short of sickening.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
12-06-2012, 08:11 PM
SHOOTANDSCORE

Larry Tanenbaum
Quote:
....I was optimistic and conveyed my optimism to the Board of Governors at our Wednesday meeting. However, when we reconvened with the players on Wednesday afternoon, it was like someone had thrown a switch. The atmosphere had completely changed. Nevertheless, the owners tried to push forward and made a number of concessions and proposals, which were not well-received. I question whether the union is interested in making an agreement.

I am very disappointed and disillusioned. Had I not experienced this process myself, I might not have believed it. Like all hockey fans, I am hopeful this situation can be resolved as soon as possible. I miss our game."

Old
12-06-2012, 08:22 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
Michael Russo @Russostrib
This league is being destroyed. Employees will face layoffs soon. This is not a game. Hope players realize whom they're listening to now
https://twitter.com/Russostrib/statu...73869711794176

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
Old
12-06-2012, 08:24 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
Players hire Fehr to potentially lose 100% of their salaries, precious time in a short career and decertify their union? #goodhire
https://twitter.com/Russostrib/statu...74525822574593

Old
12-06-2012, 08:25 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
I don't like how Don Fehr strutted in front of the cameras with a BS "it's over" msg tonight. Played with fans heartstrings. It's shameful.
https://twitter.com/Russostrib/statu...73491242958848

Old
12-06-2012, 08:26 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by End of Line View Post
****ing right. Wish he was our beat writer.

Old
12-06-2012, 08:26 PM
Beauner
Bye Bye Bylsma

This whole ordeal is sickening. Russo is right when he says the league is being destroyed. Those revenues they talk about sharing? There won't be much revenue to share if they keep this garbage up. I'm the most angry at Fehr, words can't describe the type of negotiator he seems to be.

Old
12-06-2012, 08:30 PM
Sivek

Damn those are some heated word from Russo. I give him credit for putting his name to it since his daily job involves dealing directly with the players. Everybody laying it on the line tonight.

Some big-time tweets from a very respected writer.

Old
12-06-2012, 08:38 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivek View Post
Damn those are some heated word from Russo. I give him credit for putting his name to it since his daily job involves dealing directly with the players. Everybody laying it on the line tonight.

Some big-time tweets from a very respected writer.
I'm glad that the writers are injecting their feelings into it. The players have been brainwashed (I suggest reading Scottie Upshall's twitter page if you feel like bashing your head against a wall tonight) and the owners are back to being under a gag order outside of that milquetoast statement...these beat writers are the only ones that have been there and are witnessing it first hand.

It's just sad that things are really this close...and the gap can't be bridged. They're arguing over money that simply isn't going to be there anymore, and they're doing so at the cost of a full season's salary at the very least. It's pathetic, it's maddening, and it's going to make it awfully hard for me to cheer for a lot of these guys again. They're killing my lifelong passion for hockey.

Old
12-06-2012, 08:39 PM
Tafkak

Send a message via AIM to Tafkak
WOW...

Quote:
@adater From deep inside players side: "We were ready to play again. But Don came in (Wed.) and told us we could get more and to hold out"
https://twitter.com/adater/status/276878074744811520

Quote:
@adater
That deep-inside-players quote came from depth player. They want to play, but top players still in Fehr camp. Could explode soon

Quote:
@adater Bottom line here: Players say they are unified, but not what I'm hearing from this depth player. They'll deny that publicly, but...
https://twitter.com/adater/status/276880663850934273

Last edited by Tafkak: 12-06-2012 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Added source of tweet / link and another tweet from adater
Old
12-06-2012, 08:41 PM
PensFanSince1989

It sucks that everything has gone to ****, but man, was that Bettman presser awesome.

Old
12-06-2012, 08:44 PM
Beauner
Bye Bye Bylsma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
It's just sad that things are really this close...and the gap can't be bridged. They're arguing over money that simply isn't going to be there anymore, and they're doing so at the cost of a full season's salary at the very least. It's pathetic, it's maddening, and it's going to make it awfully hard for me to cheer for a lot of these guys again. They're killing my lifelong passion for hockey.
Bang on. This is what I have been trying to express.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tafkak View Post
WOW...

@adater From deep inside players side: "We were ready to play again. But Don came in (Wed.) and told us we could get more and to hold out"

Seemed like it during players/owners meeting. Looks like my hatred of Fehr is warranted.

Old
12-06-2012, 08:45 PM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

As expected, Donald Fehr is the problem. Not news to most of us, but there you have it. ****ing piece of ****.

Old
12-06-2012, 08:45 PM
SHOOTANDSCORE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tafkak View Post
WOW...

From deep inside players side: "We were ready to play again. But Don came in (Wed.) and told us we could get more and to hold out"
Not too surprising. It is consistent with the owners', Bettman's, and Daly's statements that something happened Wed AM with the players.

Quote:
Brennan Klak ‏@nhlupdate

My opinion? I think Donald Fehr needs to be removed from negotiations. I also think PA should have voted on last night's NHL proposal
Agreed

Old
12-06-2012, 08:49 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
adater @adater
Bottom line here: Players say they are unified, but not what I'm hearing from this depth player. They'll deny that publicly, but...
https://twitter.com/adater/status/276880663850934273

Old
12-06-2012, 08:49 PM
Beauner
Bye Bye Bylsma

Also, if Fehr is being such a dick, why are the players still with him? Sure some guys like Upshall are with him, but from that tweet it seemed like a lot of guys were ready to go. There's how many players and only one of him, at some point the players need to say "alright Don, you did your part, we feel comfortable with this deal so now you can gtfo".

Old
12-06-2012, 08:51 PM
Tafkak

From the reactions that I continue to see on Twitter tonight, I think things are quickly coming to a head. The NHLPA could, hopefully, blow up very soon.

Old
12-06-2012, 08:52 PM
PensFanSince1989

Oh, Walsh and Russo are getting into a twitter fight now.

Old
12-06-2012, 08:54 PM
Tafkak

God forbid someone say something rational against Walsh's hero (Fehr). Dreger owned Walsh and someone as smart as Russo will quickly turn Walsh into a crying sack of shame.

Old
12-06-2012, 08:59 PM
Randy Butternubs
Makin Bacon Pancakes

Holy ****. This is ridiculous.

Old
12-06-2012, 09:06 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

Closed Thread