HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

biggest name to be bought out

Old
12-06-2012, 09:12 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
Crosby.

But seriously, Luongo might end up going that route.
Naw. At his current contract, Luongo still has value. How much value is widely debated, but everyone seems to agree his value is well above zero. For that reason there's essentially no chance we use such a clause on him. Personally, I wouldn't use such a clause on any of our players unless I absolutely had to in order to get under the cap ceiling. Ballard would certainly be a more likely candidate than Luongo, we'd keep him as long as we had to in order to move him for value.

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 09:53 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
I don't think Heatley will be a candidate. After this shortened season, he only has 1 season left on his contract with a 5mil actual salary. You'd have to think that a cap floor team like the Islanders who may be looking for high end talent would take a chance on a guy like that, especially with that contract. Heck, even Minnesota I doubt would want to pan him off for nothing, typically they don't have the easiest time in signing 1st line talent.
Does Heatley have a NTC or NMC ?

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 12:20 PM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Send a message via MSN to internetdotcom Send a message via Yahoo to internetdotcom
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
They signed all those contracts under a different CBA. All of those front-loaded retirement deals, overpaid players being buried in the AHL/Europe, etc. are all within the rules. Why should the GM's be punished for the rules changing?
A new CBA isn't just 'starting all over again'. You can't just pretend the last few years didn't happen just because one CBA expires and the next one starts. Player contracts don't just suddenly expire when a CBA does , so why should the terms under which the contract was signed expire? If GMs get a get out of jail free card every few years, there is no incentive for them to stop signing these ridiculous contracts, as they can just bail when the CBA expires. I know that if I was an owner, I'd be pretty annoyed overpaying a player, then paying him again to not play for me anymore just because my GM signed him to a stupid deal. I'm okay with them burying those guys in the minors when possible to save the owner some money, but the cap hit should stay.

internetdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 12:35 PM
gifted88
Dante the poet

Even though Kaberle and Gomez have high salaries for their production I can't see the Habs buying anyone out.

gifted88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 02:11 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimzey59 View Post
I'll go with Danny Heatley( still good but not worth 7.5 mil, didn't seem to mesh in Minnesota, pretty much replaced by Parise) being the best and Ales Hemsky and Niklas Hjalmarsson(both heavily shopped last summer) topping the 2nd teir.
Why in the world would Chicago buy out Hjalmarsson?

His contract is decent, and it's up at the end of next year. He wouldn't even come close to being considered as a buy out.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 02:15 PM
TieClark

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
They signed all those contracts under a different CBA. All of those front-loaded retirement deals, overpaid players being buried in the AHL/Europe, etc. are all within the rules. Why should the GM's be punished for the rules changing?
Because they knowingly circumvented the cap through loopholes. The system designed at the last lockout was supposed to put teams on a level playing field... nobody was under the belief teams were going to start signing 14 year contracts in order to lower the cap hit. Everyone thought the Isles were nuts when they gave out the DiPietro signing.... and then every big name free agent started signing contracts like that therefore rendering the CBA agreement useless and thus the reason there is no hockey right now. Why SHOULDN'T they be punished for causing this?

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 02:18 PM
laundryman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflex View Post
Leino
or Bryzgalov

I wonder of Lightning would buy out Vinny. His contract gets worse and worse as each day passes
Flyers won't amnesty Bryzgalov unless they have a deal in place for another goalie. His contract may suck, but the alternative at this point is Michael Leighton.

Much more likely they buy out Pronger

laundryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 02:20 PM
CarvinSigX

vCash: 2616
No one on the Blues that I can think of.

CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 02:45 PM
Joel Ward
HFBoards Sponsor

This is probably a stupid question, but after being bought-out with an amnesty do players still get the money like a normal buyout? If so, would some teams be able to convince players to sign cheaper contracts right after being bought out (thus the player makes more money and the team gets extra cap room).

Joel Ward is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 02:51 PM
madmike77

No Flames I can think of.

Bouwmeester is overpaid, but he's still a valuable piece and doesn't have that many years left on his deal. I'm sure the Flames would rather just keep him.

madmike77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 03:04 PM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
The Oilers have one player to buyout:

Shawn Horcoff!

oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 03:18 PM
Tyskie
#Lehnsanity

Fans of teams with bad contracts will be for it.
Fans of teams without bad contracts will be against it.

I'm against amnesty buyouts.

Tyskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 03:42 PM
fcpremix88

vCash: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflex View Post
I wonder of Lightning would buy out Vinny. His contract gets worse and worse as each day passes
There's absolutely no chance of that happening.

fcpremix88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 03:50 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyskie View Post
Fans of teams with bad contracts will be for it.
Fans of teams without bad contracts will be against it.

I'm against amnesty buyouts.
but thats is inot in any way relevant. This is not about being for or against buyouts it's about the biggest name to be faced with a buyout chances are that option will be there

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 06:08 PM
WTFetus
Most popular

For the Sharks, Handzus is really the only candidate and this is his last year on his contract. And they won't buy him out unless they need the cap space (via a FA signing or trade).

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 06:08 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
I don't think Heatley will be a candidate. After this shortened season, he only has 1 season left on his contract with a 5mil actual salary. You'd have to think that a cap floor team like the Islanders who may be looking for high end talent would take a chance on a guy like that, especially with that contract. Heck, even Minnesota I doubt would want to pan him off for nothing, typically they don't have the easiest time in signing 1st line talent.
definitely not Heatley. He did actually mesh well in MN--his relatively poor numbers were due to him playing with bottom six and AHL (poor AHL at that) talent a good chunk of the season. Not worth $7.5 but not worth shoveling off. Backstom is still good, and would still be our best goalie but before the MS news came out about Harding I would have said him--it seems the wild had decided to move on by giving Hards the 3 year deal with Hackett coming up the ranks to challenge.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 06:29 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by fedfed View Post
Ward or Schultz from the Caps.
Ward because he has three more years @ 3M/year.
Schultz because we have a lot of LD though he only has one year @ 2.75M/year.
Instead of buying out Schultz send him to Calgary for Babchuck (Babchuck has 1 year less and makes a little less). We could use a big 7th defenseman.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 06:58 PM
Kris Chreider
Pass Off The Pads

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
Okay, then if teams aren't allowed to buy the players out, then old ****** deals should get grandfathered in and Redden should be allowed to stay in Hartford.

The Rangers followed the rules with Redden, but they shouldn't be allowed out of it if they change the rule in middle of the contract? That's less fair than what the Rangers did in the first place.
Redden will retire in the next year or two. There's no point buying him out when we're a cash-laden organization, he's not taking up cap, and he's soon to retire. We're still paying for Drury's buyout but if we had waited a little longer he would've retired and we wouldn't have had to buy him out.

Kris Chreider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 07:08 PM
3rdlineglory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Chreider View Post
Redden will retire in the next year or two. There's no point buying him out when we're a cash-laden organization, he's not taking up cap, and he's soon to retire. We're still paying for Drury's buyout but if we had waited a little longer he would've retired and we wouldn't have had to buy him out.
Drury retired because he realized no team wanted him after getting bought out. He would have still played if the Rangers didn't buy him out.

3rdlineglory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 07:26 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Why pay him 7.5M(or how much ever they owe him in the final 1 and a 1/2 years) to rot in the minors when you can basically pay him 2/3 of that salary. Beyond the savings in cash it also gives the Rangers wiggle room in the off season to go over the cap.

The Rangers might have all the money in the world but it's still bad business financially to pay a guy 2.5M more then you have to. If their is an amnesty buyout Redden is as good as gone

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 08:20 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
I'll go with Danny Heatley( still good but not worth 7.5 mil, didn't seem to mesh in Minnesota, pretty much replaced by Parise) being the best and Ales Hemsky and Niklas Hjalmarsson(both heavily shopped last summer) topping the 2nd teir.

If there is an immunity buyout, I expect you'll mostly overpriced 3/4 liners/ bottom pairing D men(Stajan, Gomez, Ballard, Ohlund) being the ones bought out. I doubt you'll see many headliners.
There is no chance that the Oilers buy out Hemsky. Horcoff maybe, but not Hemsky, and I'd think the Hawks wouldn't want to move Hammer for nothing either. Guys being available in trade to help elsewhere and having no value to their team are two incredibly different things.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 08:21 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike77 View Post
No Flames I can think of.

Bouwmeester is overpaid, but he's still a valuable piece and doesn't have that many years left on his deal. I'm sure the Flames would rather just keep him.
There is one Flame who is paid like a top six forward, used as a fourth line forward, and not really a good one at that.
"The Ragin' Cajun" Matt Stajan.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 08:27 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 2960
Quote:
Redden would have counted under the proposed CBA.

12-06-2012, 08:29 PM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

Quote:

If there is an immunity buyout, I expect you'll mostly overpriced 3/4 liners/ bottom pairing D men(Stajan, Gomez, Ballard, Ohlund) being the ones bought out. I doubt you'll see many headliners.
This response fails on like 100 different levels.

1.) Heatley led the 30th Ranked (GF) Minnesota Wild in scoring last season. How illogical is it to buy out your most productive player when you're starved for offense to start off with.. Not to mention he has only played one season with the Wild after being specifically acquired through to trade. Moreover, his actual pay drops to a very manageable 5M next season, which makes him an enticing piece to cap floor teams if they wished to trade him.

2.) Hemsky hasn't even played ONE game under his new contract.. NOT EVEN ONE. He's one of the only productive scoring veteran forwards on the extremely young Edmonton Oilers, only 29, and did I mention he literally just signed a contract with the Oil on their terms!

3.) Hjalmarsson is one the top defensive and PKing defenseman on the Blackhawks, 25 years old and they recently won a Stanley Cup with him as their #3 defenseman. If he were to be seriously shopped he would garner a pretty hefty return..

Do you even understand what a buyout is?

4.) Immunity buyout? That's not even a thing. It's called an "AMNESTY BUYOUT".

Last edited by HockeyThoughts: 12-06-2012 at 08:43 PM.
HockeyThoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 08:42 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
There is one Flame who is paid like a top six forward, used as a fourth line forward, and not really a good one at that.
"The Ragin' Cajun" Matt Stajan.
He was a 50+ point player when allowed to play in the top 6 in Toronto in a offensive role, it would be a better use of assets to try and see if he can find his form under Hartly.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote