HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Junior Hockey Thread (Ottawa 67s Talk)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-04-2012, 07:14 PM
  #526
Saabman0508
Harb Quote Count: 9
 
Saabman0508's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,449
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
I've only had the chance to see Day once, I will get to see him a couple more times over the coming months in various Minor Midget tournaments.

He's a remarkable player, I think he should be granted exceptional status. He's one of those players that you say "WOW" after seeing only one shift of him. That's how special he is.

Adding some 2nd round picks this year and last years 1st rounders by getting rid of Ceci and Graovac should 100% be done to make this team like London was a couple years ago.
I have only started following the OHL closely this year and somewhat last year. I was a bit confused when the Cardwell deal went through because I thought it seemed like a bit of a lackluster return but everyone else was overjoyed. So my question is, what kind of caliber of player are you expected to get from the OHL draft with, say, a second round pick?

Saabman0508 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 07:49 PM
  #527
Pilgore88
Registered User
 
Pilgore88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: East Coast
Posts: 4,574
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saabman0508 View Post
I have only started following the OHL closely this year and somewhat last year. I was a bit confused when the Cardwell deal went through because I thought it seemed like a bit of a lackluster return but everyone else was overjoyed. So my question is, what kind of caliber of player are you expected to get from the OHL draft with, say, a second round pick?
Well you would be adding a top 25 16 year old for sure. Likely higher.

Pilgore88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 08:07 PM
  #528
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner
 
Marvelous Manked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sudbury/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,394
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saabman0508 View Post
I have only started following the OHL closely this year and somewhat last year. I was a bit confused when the Cardwell deal went through because I thought it seemed like a bit of a lackluster return but everyone else was overjoyed. So my question is, what kind of caliber of player are you expected to get from the OHL draft with, say, a second round pick?
Well OHL teams cannot trade 1st round picks. That's why the CHL has a lot of deals that involve LOTS of 2nd round picks (current and future).

For a 2nd round pick, your return can very. The OHL Priority Selection is even more of a crapshoot than the NHL, because there are always really skilled kids that are 5'4" that don't get drafted until the 13th round that are 5'11" the year after and become quality players. There are also players that get picked in the 2nd round that look good against kids their age, but can't adjust when they have to face 20 year olds at the age of 16.

Don't quote me on this, but I believe the rules for the OHL are as follows. Teams must offer 2 picks (1st guaranteed??) a contract for that upcoming season. So for a 2nd round pick, most of the time you'd expect either a guy who's going to be an immediate contributor, or someone who will play the year after. Because the 2010 OHL Priority Selection was the year I followed the most, here's a look at the 2nd round.

Garrett Hooey*(3rd liner)
Mark Petaccio*(4th liner)
Billy Jenkins*(EX Ottawa Valley Titan WOOOO / 2nd liner)
Brody Silk*(2nd liner)
Thomas Wilson*(1st liner)
Connor Boland*(Bottom pairing D)
Scott Kosmachuk*(1st liner)
Nathan Cull*(3rd Liner)
Connor Crisp*(2nd/3rd liner / goalie )
Jake Paterson*(Starting Goalie)
Jacob Ringuette*(Bottom pairing defenceman)
Evan McEneny*(4/5 Defenceman)
Matthew Murray*(Starting Goalie)
Taylor Fielding*(Defenceman turned Solid 3rd line Winger)
Ryan Duhaime*(EX OTTAWA VALLEY TITAN WOOOO / 4/5 Defenceman)
Michael Clarke*(2nd/3rd liner?)
Joel Wigle*(3rd liner)
Samuel Schutt*(EX OTTAWA VALLEY TITAN WOOOO / 3rd liner)
Ryan Shipley (3rd pairing defenceman)

As you can see, every single pick in the 2010 OHL Priority Selection is currently in the OHL. There's probably a 60% chance you get a bottom 6er/bottom pairing, and a 40% chance you get a top 6/top 4 player.

So from a 2nd round pick I EXPECT a player that will be a depth player in year 1 and 2 and become a prominent core player in year 3 and 4.

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 08:36 PM
  #529
Saabman0508
Harb Quote Count: 9
 
Saabman0508's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,449
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
Well OHL teams cannot trade 1st round picks. That's why the CHL has a lot of deals that involve LOTS of 2nd round picks (current and future).

For a 2nd round pick, your return can very. The OHL Priority Selection is even more of a crapshoot than the NHL, because there are always really skilled kids that are 5'4" that don't get drafted until the 13th round that are 5'11" the year after and become quality players. There are also players that get picked in the 2nd round that look good against kids their age, but can't adjust when they have to face 20 year olds at the age of 16.

Don't quote me on this, but I believe the rules for the OHL are as follows. Teams must offer 2 picks (1st guaranteed??) a contract for that upcoming season. So for a 2nd round pick, most of the time you'd expect either a guy who's going to be an immediate contributor, or someone who will play the year after. Because the 2010 OHL Priority Selection was the year I followed the most, here's a look at the 2nd round.

Garrett Hooey*(3rd liner)
Mark Petaccio*(4th liner)
Billy Jenkins*(EX Ottawa Valley Titan WOOOO / 2nd liner)
Brody Silk*(2nd liner)
Thomas Wilson*(1st liner)
Connor Boland*(Bottom pairing D)
Scott Kosmachuk*(1st liner)
Nathan Cull*(3rd Liner)
Connor Crisp*(2nd/3rd liner / goalie )
Jake Paterson*(Starting Goalie)
Jacob Ringuette*(Bottom pairing defenceman)
Evan McEneny*(4/5 Defenceman)
Matthew Murray*(Starting Goalie)
Taylor Fielding*(Defenceman turned Solid 3rd line Winger)
Ryan Duhaime*(EX OTTAWA VALLEY TITAN WOOOO / 4/5 Defenceman)
Michael Clarke*(2nd/3rd liner?)
Joel Wigle*(3rd liner)
Samuel Schutt*(EX OTTAWA VALLEY TITAN WOOOO / 3rd liner)
Ryan Shipley (3rd pairing defenceman)

As you can see, every single pick in the 2010 OHL Priority Selection is currently in the OHL. There's probably a 60% chance you get a bottom 6er/bottom pairing, and a 40% chance you get a top 6/top 4 player.

So from a 2nd round pick I EXPECT a player that will be a depth player in year 1 and 2 and become a prominent core player in year 3 and 4.
Thanks Manked!

Saabman0508 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 08:40 PM
  #530
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner
 
Marvelous Manked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sudbury/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,394
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saabman0508 View Post
Thanks Manked!
Also, my apologies that this is the year that you decide to follow the OHL (I'm guessing the 67s the most).

They've never sunk so low haha.

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 08:43 PM
  #531
Saabman0508
Harb Quote Count: 9
 
Saabman0508's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,449
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
Also, my apologies that this is the year that you decide to follow the OHL (I'm guessing the 67s the most).

They've never sunk so low haha.
I've always loosely followed the 67's. I still remember going to games with my cousins and uncle to cheer on Corey Locke. My cousins and I all thought he was going to be a star, but we were dumb back then.

Anyway, this is the year that I am paying attention to the draft. Hopefully the 67's can get a solid rebuild going.

Saabman0508 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 08:45 PM
  #532
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner
 
Marvelous Manked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sudbury/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,394
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saabman0508 View Post
I've always loosely followed the 67's. I still remember going to games with my cousins and uncle to cheer on Corey Locke. My cousins and I all thought he was going to be a star, but we were dumb back then.

Anyway, this is the year that I am paying attention to the draft. Hopefully the 67's can get a solid rebuild going.
That's good that you have experienced a regular 67s season then.

Everyone mark January 3rd on your calenders, that's when the 67s face the Greyhounds.

Watch for Nurse and McCann.

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 01:23 AM
  #533
Kenny Bania
Thats gold Jerry!
 
Kenny Bania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 823
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
Well OHL teams cannot trade 1st round picks. That's why the CHL has a lot of deals that involve LOTS of 2nd round picks (current and future).
I always though that too but Kingston picked 2nd & 9th last year, taking two Marlies. How did this happen?

http://ohldraft.ilap.com/ps2012/


Last edited by Kenny Bania: 12-05-2012 at 01:51 AM.
Kenny Bania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 02:08 AM
  #534
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner
 
Marvelous Manked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sudbury/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,394
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Bania View Post
I always though that too but Kingston picked 2nd & 9th last year, taking two Marlies. How did this happen?

http://ohldraft.ilap.com/ps2012/
Compensation pick.

If your 1st round pick does not report to camp (Max Domi), then you get a compensation pick from where you picked. That's why Gilmour did what he did. He knew that Domi would not report, so he picked him anyways and forced London to give up multiple picks for him, all the while getting a 1st round pick as compensation due to him refusing to report.

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 05:21 AM
  #535
Rhino Reilly
Gettn Wiggy wit it
 
Rhino Reilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: in your head
Country: Equatorial Guinea
Posts: 14,881
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Rhino Reilly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
Compensation pick.

If your 1st round pick does not report to camp (Max Domi), then you get a compensation pick from where you picked. That's why Gilmour did what he did. He knew that Domi would not report, so he picked him anyways and forced London to give up multiple picks for him, all the while getting a 1st round pick as compensation due to him refusing to report.
More teams should do this instead of passing on a superior player because he wont play for you. Get something at least like the Fronts did.

Rhino Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 11:25 AM
  #536
Larionov
Registered User
 
Larionov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,251
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateLeclaire View Post
Kent Manderville and Pat Falloon say "wassup?"
Going back even a few more years than that (I'm showing my age) Joe Murphy ended up going #1 overall in 1986 based in large part on an absolutely great World Junior tournament. As it turned out, he had a fairly solid NHL career, but bounced around to seven different teams and was never really a first line player for anyone. In fact, he had a fairly similar NHL career to Dan Cleary, a guy who got cut from Team Canada something like three years in a row.

I have often been critical of decisions Hockey Canada has made (I still can't figure out how they thought Tyler Toffoli couldn't help them last year) but in fairness, they have a tough job. They need to determine who can best help a team right now in a short, unforgiving 10 day tournament. When a guy like Ceci flops a bit in the exhibition series in Russia, he falls down the depth chart, especially in a lockout year. There's every chance that Ceci could be the best defenceman in his draft class, but Hockey Canada can't take the risk that the games in Russia were just a fluke. They have to go with what they see as the sure thing.

Update - Just saw an article in the Quebec press that ripped Ceci pretty hard. It basically called him out for playing soft, and thinking that he had nothing left to prove in junior. It's hard to truly evaluate him now, given how weak the 67s are this year, but he certainly doesn't have a reputation for being physical, and he wouldn't be the first kid who sort of treated his last year in junior as a victory lap as opposed to pushing to the next level of play.


Last edited by Larionov: 12-05-2012 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Update
Larionov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 08:31 PM
  #537
OmniSens
@OmniSenators
 
OmniSens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 39,774
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
holy crap, 6-0 ice dogs?

I'm happy I missed the first period lol...AND THE REST OF THIS GAME.

OmniSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 08:34 PM
  #538
OmniSens
@OmniSenators
 
OmniSens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 39,774
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
holy penalties... 6 minutes so far, figuring out the penalties

OmniSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 08:40 PM
  #539
OMadahey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: capital city
Country: Somalia
Posts: 163
vCash: 500
7-0 now! Holy ****

OMadahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 08:44 PM
  #540
OmniSens
@OmniSenators
 
OmniSens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 39,774
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
This team...

OmniSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 08:46 PM
  #541
Rhino Reilly
Gettn Wiggy wit it
 
Rhino Reilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: in your head
Country: Equatorial Guinea
Posts: 14,881
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Rhino Reilly
Got lube?

Rhino Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 09:50 PM
  #542
mianjo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,599
vCash: 500
67'S LOST 9-0 OUTSHOT 47-27

VANSRALEN AND SALITURO -4, CECI -3

67'Salso had 2 new players in lineup Alex Morgan and Doug Harvey, i have no idea where they came from or there ages.

67's were missing Monahan, Graovac, Fielding, Vlajkov,

mianjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 09:53 PM
  #543
mianjo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,599
vCash: 500
Just found this on 67's twitter

Former Mississauga F Doug Harvey and ex SSM F Alex Morgan make their 67's debuts. Harvey playing Jr A in Kanata. Morgan Jr B in Chatham.

mianjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 10:10 PM
  #544
mianjo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,599
vCash: 500
Further digging Harvey has played 9 games for Kanata Stallions and had 2 g and 7a for 9 points

Morgan plays for Chatham Jr B and has stats of 14 games 5g 6a 11 points and 50 PM's

mianjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 10:12 PM
  #545
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner
 
Marvelous Manked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sudbury/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,394
vCash: 500
You know you're in trouble when you have more than one Jr. B on your OHL team...

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 10:24 PM
  #546
Taoiseach
Moderator
Go Hull Go!
 
Taoiseach's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ottawa-Gatineau, NCR
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 1,495
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
Well OHL teams cannot trade 1st round picks. That's why the CHL has a lot of deals that involve LOTS of 2nd round picks (current and future).
Really? Strange. You're allowed to trade first round picks in the Q.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasTeD View Post
More teams should do this instead of passing on a superior player because he wont play for you. Get something at least like the Fronts did.
Baie-Comeau did this with MacKinnon.

Taoiseach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 11:25 PM
  #547
Rhino Reilly
Gettn Wiggy wit it
 
Rhino Reilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: in your head
Country: Equatorial Guinea
Posts: 14,881
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Rhino Reilly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taoiseach View Post



Baie-Comeau did this with MacKinnon.
I know

Rhino Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 04:32 PM
  #548
OmniSens
@OmniSenators
 
OmniSens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 39,774
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
So how many are we letting in tonight boys?


OmniSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 05:07 PM
  #549
Inkling
Proud to be a Mammal
 
Inkling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,712
vCash: 500
The 67s can move out of sole possession of last place if they beat Erie since they are only 2 points ahead. Even if they lose, it shouldn't be as big of a drubbing (famous last words).

Inkling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 06:31 PM
  #550
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner
 
Marvelous Manked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sudbury/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,394
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkling View Post
The 67s can move out of sole possession of last place if they beat Erie since they are only 2 points ahead. Even if they lose, it shouldn't be as big of a drubbing (famous last words).
I want to lose...

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:37 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.