HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

D pairings if the lockout ends today

Old
12-06-2012, 09:33 PM
Kingstonian84*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squiffy View Post
Why would we have lost Franson?
The date to sign RFA's (Dec 1st) has past, since he wasn't signed by Dec 1st even if there is a season this year he cannot be on the team.

Kingstonian84* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 09:35 PM
The Blue Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingstonian84 View Post
The date to sign RFA's (Dec 1st) has past, since he wasn't signed by Dec 1st even if there is a season this year he cannot be on the team.
It's been mentioned before, but that was during the last CBA, the one that currently does not exist.

The Blue Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 09:37 PM
The Blue Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squiffy View Post
Hadn't heard that one. I know he signed a year deal that initially was reported as not having an out for the NHL, but was later clarified that it did. But he said he's staying that's a diffirent ballgame.
I wouldn't take my word for it haha, it's something that I think I saw in an articla posted at the begining of the year.

Old
12-07-2012, 08:52 AM
Mystifo
Lol Doodle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blue Devil View Post
I think Franson said that he intended to stay in Europe for the rest of the year no matter what happens with the NHL.
Quote:
His deal with Brynas, however, has an out clause that will allow him to return to the NHL if the lockout ends and he reaches a new deal with the Leafs.

Source: http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/...eads-to-sweden

Mystifo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 10:22 AM
The Blue Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystifo View Post
Figured I was going crazy haha, thanks.

Old
12-07-2012, 04:25 PM
Ricky Bobby

Gunnarson - Phaneuf

Gardiner - _______

Liles - _______

________

For blank spots in priority order: Komisarek, Holzer, Ranger/Blacker

Komisarek: Who despite all the criticism is still a bottom pairing quality NHLer. Just very overpaid. Plus I'd rather have him playing higher in the lineup and getting exploited and having his confidence ruined then putting slotting a young guy like Hozer or Blacker For a team that needs defensive help (especially on the penalty kill) we need him.

Holzer: He looked good in the AHL but the NHL is a whole different ballgame. Can't count on him as anything more than a #6 or #7 dman right now.

Ranger: He is a real wild card. He could end up being as good as our 2nd best dman or just a bottom pairing guy).

Blacker: First callup when we have injuries to continue to bring him along slowly with the hope of him being ready for full-time duty in 13/14

Gone:

Franson: He strengths are exactly what we don't need and should be traded. He's an offensive dmen who is stuck behind superior offensive dmen in Phaneuf, Liles and Gardiner with Rielly soon to be with the team. Unless he improves dramatically and learns to kill penalties the only good thing about keeping him around could be his cap hit.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 05:22 PM
ALine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post

Gone:

Franson: He strengths are exactly what we don't need and should be traded. He's an offensive dmen who is stuck behind superior offensive dmen in Phaneuf, Liles and Gardiner with Rielly soon to be with the team. Unless he improves dramatically and learns to kill penalties the only good thing about keeping him around could be his cap hit.
Another point would be that he is our only current defensemen that plays he right side naturally. Well other than Phaneuf. I think Franson should be kept until a suited able right side defensemen can be acquired to replace him.

ALine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 06:25 PM
Avec Fromage*

Phaneuf, Gunnarsson, Gardiner and Liles are pretty much locks. Even if Gardiner plays poorly, I imagine they'll let him stay up like Schenn did (even though that didn't turn out so well).

That leaves two spots for Franson, Komisarek, Holzer and Ranger. While I think Franson deserves a spot, I see the Leafs shafting him again.

Avec Fromage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 10:50 PM
Kingstonian84*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avec Fromage View Post
Phaneuf, Gunnarsson, Gardiner and Liles are pretty much locks. Even if Gardiner plays poorly, I imagine they'll let him stay up like Schenn did (even though that didn't turn out so well).

That leaves two spots for Franson, Komisarek, Holzer and Ranger. While I think Franson deserves a spot, I see the Leafs shafting him again.
Your forgetting one person Rielly, he's going to get a long look at camp and if he impresseses he could easily win a spot on the blueline. IMO the following people are
locks Phaneuf/Gunnarsson/Gardiner/Liles as main stays on the blueline. Franson IF he is resigned will be in the mix too, which leaves Rielly/Komiserak/Ranger/Holzer to scrap it out for one of the final positions.

Kingstonian84* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 11:03 PM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALine View Post
Another point would be that he is our only current defensemen that plays he right side naturally. Well other than Phaneuf. I think Franson should be kept until a suited able right side defensemen can be acquired to replace him.
Komi, Holzer and Blacker are all natural righties.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote