HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Roster Talk '13 — Finland

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-05-2012, 08:26 AM
  #51
YARR123
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,552
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfan94 View Post
Really? Most Blues fans have been really excited by Hakanpää's development, and if Lindbohm is at that level, it's just another something to get excited about! Thanks
I'm not saying Lindbohm is as good as Hakanpää, because he's not, nor am I saying he will have a similar surge in development. What I'm saying is that if it's possible for Hakanpää, it's possible for Lindbohm, and Lindbohm isn't any worse than Hakanpää was at the same time last year.

But Lindbohm is certainly an interesting prospect, and he seems to have taken a big step from last year

YARR123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 08:29 AM
  #52
YARR123
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,552
vCash: 500
Our likely 4th of Hännikäinen - Salminen - Lamberg will play as 4th line for Jokerit in tonight's game. I'll be missing the game so scouting report, someone, please!

YARR123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 10:29 AM
  #53
edd1e
Registered User
 
edd1e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,988
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YARR123 View Post
I'm not saying Lindbohm is as good as Hakanpää, because he's not, nor am I saying he will have a similar surge in development. What I'm saying is that if it's possible for Hakanpää, it's possible for Lindbohm, and Lindbohm isn't any worse than Hakanpää was at the same time last year.

But Lindbohm is certainly an interesting prospect, and he seems to have taken a big step from last year
What are you talking about? That doesnt make any sense.

edd1e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 11:14 AM
  #54
YARR123
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,552
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by edd1e View Post
What are you talking about? That doesnt make any sense.
What doesn't?

YARR123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 11:34 AM
  #55
Gaps
Registered User
 
Gaps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,480
vCash: 500
Did anyone happen to see Rindell's interview sometime this week on Urho? According to Sihvonen, he said something about "just letting the boys play" and that they're not going to play Meidän Peli. If anyone happened to catch it, I'd like to know what he actually said. I don't care if the U20s don't play Meidän Peli, but I can't believe Rindell would make the same mistake as Helminen last year, which was not having a real strategy. The material's more than fine, but without a game plan we're gonna be screwed.

Gaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 12:00 PM
  #56
edd1e
Registered User
 
edd1e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,988
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YARR123 View Post
What doesn't?
"I'm not saying Lindbohm is as good as Hakanpää"

"Lindbohm isn't any worse than Hakanpää"

Which one is it? :-)

edd1e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 12:38 PM
  #57
YARR123
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,552
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by edd1e View Post
"I'm not saying Lindbohm is as good as Hakanpää"

"Lindbohm isn't any worse than Hakanpää"

Which one is it? :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarr123
I'm not saying Lindbohm is as good as Hakanpää, because he's not, nor am I saying he will have a similar surge in development. What I'm saying is that if it's possible for Hakanpää, it's possible for Lindbohm, and Lindbohm isn't any worse than Hakanpää was at the same time last year.

But Lindbohm is certainly an interesting prospect, and he seems to have taken a big step from last year
As good now as X was last year vs. Not as good as X right now

YARR123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 12:58 PM
  #58
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: Finland
Posts: 2,890
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YARR123 View Post
As good now as X was last year vs. Not as good as X right now
Lindbohm right now = Hakanpää a year ago. Lindbohm right now =/= Hakanpää right now.

FiLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 01:30 PM
  #59
Loffer
Registered User
 
Loffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,093
vCash: 954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaps View Post
Did anyone happen to see Rindell's interview sometime this week on Urho? According to Sihvonen, he said something about "just letting the boys play" and that they're not going to play Meidän Peli. If anyone happened to catch it, I'd like to know what he actually said. I don't care if the U20s don't play Meidän Peli, but I can't believe Rindell would make the same mistake as Helminen last year, which was not having a real strategy. The material's more than fine, but without a game plan we're gonna be screwed.
Just play the game. You don't need any of these simplistic game plans, they are just the biggest myth in hockey. Hockey isn't soccer or football, it's much simpler and more straightforward game. Too much "tactics" just kills the game intensity. I don't think these youngsters need any sophisticated "game plans". Just dumb and chase, keep it simple kind of high intensity hockey.

Loffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 02:04 PM
  #60
Gaps
Registered User
 
Gaps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,480
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffer View Post
Just play the game. You don't need any of these simplistic game plans, they are just the biggest myth in hockey. Hockey isn't soccer or football, it's much simpler and more straightforward game. Too much "tactics" just kills the game intensity. I don't think these youngsters need any sophisticated "game plans". Just dumb and chase, keep it simple kind of high intensity hockey.
Doesn't have to be that sophisticated, but it has to be there in some form. When they don't know what to do (which will happen, especially in the tougher games), having some kind of a frame to hold onto will help.

Gaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 12:41 AM
  #61
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: Finland
Posts: 2,890
vCash: 500
It's true that with junior teams, strict game plans are not so common, especially when moving towards the offensive zone.

Still, to be successful, you need some core tenets to rally around, especially if the game is not going your way. What happens when you don't, well... just go rewatch the last period of last year's semifinal. If your heart can take it, that is.

There is one thing though that is maybe even more crucial in junior coaching than adult one - to pick the right guys at the right time. See who's hot and so forth. This was another of Raipe's shortcomings from last year. His only solution to any uncommon situation was to send Granlund's line out there. It backfired royally when late into the tournament they had enough acid in their muscles to sustain a medium-sized Colombian drug cartel.

It really escapes me why Kale keeps hiring these second-rate coaches to helm what is essentially our second-most prestigious national team.

*sigh* Still, even if Rindell is IMO far from ideal, he does instill far more confidence in me than Helminen ever did. Raipe was so in over is head it wasn't even funny anymore. Kiva-Harri, at the very least, understands the fundamentals of coaching.

FiLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 02:52 AM
  #62
QnebO
Registered User
 
QnebO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Finland
Posts: 4,546
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffer View Post
Just play the game. You don't need any of these simplistic game plans, they are just the biggest myth in hockey. Hockey isn't soccer or football, it's much simpler and more straightforward game. Too much "tactics" just kills the game intensity. I don't think these youngsters need any sophisticated "game plans". Just dumb and chase, keep it simple kind of high intensity hockey.
U need some commong tactics, like LW can tell to D that I will allways camp between the ringette line and blue line in right on the sivulaudat. So then, when they have that deal, when the D is very hasted by the forechecker and doesn't see anything, he can just make a blind pass to the LW , and the pass has atleast some chance to make it for their own team. Same would be good to have with other players too, so atleast you would known where everyone should be there on the field even when you're skating face towards the end boards.. Im not sure is that called a game plan really, but atleast that level of tactis r needed. Doesn't hurt if the coach is good and can use hes experience, by telling slight adjustments for these positions and timings, depending how opponent plays.

This is ofcourse only my opinion about the DUMP N CHASE, but also if players are skilled they can just dangle and carry it over the blue line I think, im not fan of dump n chase really.. If it really looks like now we cant carry it, only then dump n chase.


Last edited by QnebO: 12-06-2012 at 06:03 AM.
QnebO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 04:55 AM
  #63
FlutteringSaucer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Finland
Posts: 314
vCash: 500
I hope Loffer is just trolling with some of his posts this one here included...

If team Finland (no matter what the venue) wouldn't play better organized hockey than the top countries we could never even dream about even semi-finals.

FlutteringSaucer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 02:42 PM
  #64
Loffer
Registered User
 
Loffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,093
vCash: 954
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPena View Post
I hope Loffer is just trolling with some of his posts this one here included...

If team Finland (no matter what the venue) wouldn't play better organized hockey than the top countries we could never even dream about even semi-finals.
Okay, maybe that's true but I just hate watching that boring puck-control hockey called "meidan peli". It is terrible.

And how ****ing bad is Finland if that's true?? Finland will always be that underdog MENTALLY if they go to play like "we cannot win if we don't play this stupid meidan peli" or follow other complicated strategy which kills the pace and intensity of the game.

I rather watch Finland losing by playing real old time hockey than see them winning by killing the game.

No, Finland is not that bad, anymore. Instead NT players should finally stand up and say "we are as good as anybody and we won't take this **** (like "meidan peli") anymore!"

Loffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 04:07 PM
  #65
ElHefe
Registered User
 
ElHefe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Capital Area
Country: Finland
Posts: 576
vCash: 500
Finland needs to be playing organized as any country does. We have seen how much Russia has achieved when they got their stars pull their stuff together and started to play as a team.

I think it is natural for Finland being an underdog against Russia or Canada as they simply have better roosters in the WCs. Maybe this will change to a better way in 3-5 years when our top prospects start to bloom. At least I hope so. Until then, it is all about playing as a team because that has always been our strong point.

ElHefe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 04:31 PM
  #66
Loffer
Registered User
 
Loffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,093
vCash: 954
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElHefe View Post
Finland needs to be playing organized as any country does. We have seen how much Russia has achieved when they got their stars pull their stuff together and started to play as a team.

I think it is natural for Finland being an underdog against Russia or Canada as they simply have better roosters in the WCs. Maybe this will change to a better way in 3-5 years when our top prospects start to bloom. At least I hope so. Until then, it is all about playing as a team because that has always been our strong point.
Guess you are right. But that's why these WJC games are much more fun since they are not playing "meidan peli".

Loffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 04:56 PM
  #67
FlutteringSaucer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Finland
Posts: 314
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffer View Post
Okay, maybe that's true but I just hate watching that boring puck-control hockey called "meidan peli". It is terrible.

And how ****ing bad is Finland if that's true?? Finland will always be that underdog MENTALLY if they go to play like "we cannot win if we don't play this stupid meidan peli" or follow other complicated strategy which kills the pace and intensity of the game.

I rather watch Finland losing by playing real old time hockey than see them winning by killing the game.

No, Finland is not that bad, anymore. Instead NT players should finally stand up and say "we are as good as anybody and we won't take this **** (like "meidan peli") anymore!"
"Meidän peli" by definition isn't as passive as it's been for last year. I agree with you that the game has been too offensively passive lately. The idea behind the whole "meidän peli" is great but will face its biggest challenges so far now that the coaching crew is going to change.

Old time hockey isn't going to come back sorry about that. Sweden and Finland are imo playing the most sophisticated hockey in the world. We can only hope that the NA and Russian teams are going to stay with their outdated systems because otherwise we'll be screwed. Sweden would still have the talent to compete but when it comes to skill level of top players Finland can't compete with the top4.

FlutteringSaucer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 08:39 PM
  #68
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Somewhere in Quebec.
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,099
vCash: 500
Who's your biggest threat after Barkov ?

Edit, thought Armia was too old...

Offence looks kinda shallow.

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 08:43 PM
  #69
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS
 
Stop Winnin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Buffalo
Posts: 8,359
vCash: 500
Who will Armia likely be playing with, would love to see him with Barkov. I really hope he isn't being rushed back into action...

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 08:58 PM
  #70
Tormentor
Registered User
 
Tormentor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Too Far
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,731
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishire View Post
Who will Armia likely be playing with, would love to see him with Barkov.
Barkov, Teräväinen, Ma.Granlund and Salomäki are probably some of the more likely linemates for Armia. Not that easy to predict how the top-6 will look like this year.

Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 09:07 PM
  #71
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Somewhere in Quebec.
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,099
vCash: 500
Can the team win a medal ?

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 09:13 PM
  #72
Tormentor
Registered User
 
Tormentor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Too Far
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,731
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
Can the team win a medal ?
Goaltending is a question mark. If Korpisalo plays well in the net this team has a chance.

Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 09:25 PM
  #73
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Somewhere in Quebec.
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,099
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormentor View Post
Goaltending is a question mark. If Korpisalo plays well in the net this team has a chance.
Is next year their year ?

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 09:37 PM
  #74
Sartorial
#RegisteredUser
 
Sartorial's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Saskatoon
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,124
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormentor View Post
Goaltending is a question mark. If Korpisalo plays well in the net this team has a chance.
I get to watch Laurikinen a lot. Along with Makarov, he's the best Euro goalie in the league. He's always gives the Broncos a chance to win. Been playing way above expectations. Wouldn't be surprised if he gets the #1 job.

Sartorial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 10:11 PM
  #75
Tormentor
Registered User
 
Tormentor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Too Far
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,731
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
Is next year their year ?
Offence will likely be weaker next year, loosing Armia, Salomäki, Ma.Granlund and Aaltonen hurts plenty. At the moment their possible replacements seem less talented. Then there's the possibilty of Barkov going to NHL/AHL. 94's have a strong group of defensemen with good depth, so D might be even better next year. Goaltending will be more experienced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrappingYoungChad View Post
I get to watch Laurikinen a lot. Along with Makarov, he's the best Euro goalie in the league. He's always gives the Broncos a chance to win. Been playing way above expectations. Wouldn't be surprised if he gets the #1 job.
I haven't seen Laurikainen this season, so I have to trust your judgement. My initial feeling is that the starting job is Korpisalo's to loose, but I'll gladly be wrong if either Laurikainen or Juvonen steps up to the plate and delivers.

Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:13 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.