Notices

The Hockey World Turns Up the Heat V

Closed Thread

Old
12-06-2012, 09:32 PM
Karitimes
JetsJetsJets

vCash: 500
They will play in January like Gretzky said a couple months ago.

Hilarious, watching the TSN live stream of Fehr and the player's presser tonight and all you can see in the feed is 3 mugs I'm getting sick of seeing. Crosby left, Fehr front and centre, and our buddy Richards to the right.

Go figure, Crosby signs the 12 year extension and Richards was the highest paid in the game last year. Wonder if they have a vested interest in this? As a Maritimer I'm embarrassed by their greed considering how humble of roots these clowns came from. Guess they're just bigger than the game and it's history at this point. Who cares I guess, it's not about the fans, we'll be back like Gary said when this all began...you know cuz we're the best fans in the world and all.

Get ****ed both sides. Pathetic.

Old
12-06-2012, 09:39 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
So much media spin, that I have no idea who's even telling the truth now.

Players want more money and guarantees in a struggling league, in a country where the sport isn't even #5 now.

Owners want to pay players less and less, get sponsors happy, and dictate everything.

Where the **** does it begin and where the **** does it end?

Do any of you ****ing ****** understand that the people who even pay for any of this **** are going without the game? WE pay your salaries, WE pay for your ****ing stadiums, WE buy your merchandise, and WE follow you like a ****ing religion.

Get ****ed NHL. Get ****ed. All of you involved. Get ****ed.
Obviously, I know where you're coming from. Thing is, the diehards will come back no matter what. In the big scheme of things, these lockouts hurt their ability to grow the fanbase among casual fans but that's not really who they count on to make the majority of their revenue base.

What I'm saying is, as far as business goes they actually can say "**** the fans" because hockey fans immediately rush back with open arms as soon as they can. Maybe if some major teams with awesome attendance, i.e. Montreal, Toronto, Chicago, etc. were to be empty for a few games due to fan boycott or something the league wouldn't be able to take their revenue base for granted.

Old
12-06-2012, 09:40 PM
FrailSwan
ExplodeForEkblad

Quote:
All hail the holy Bettman?
Bettman's no saint. But if you seriously think Fehr is the savior of the players, then you are sorely mistaken. Perhaps you didn't hear the presser's today?

How the **** do you meet with Daly for an extended period, come out to a press conference, say a deal is within reach with multiple agreements, walk off, come back twenty minutes later, and say they reject everything? Fehr plays a bad strategy.

I'm no Bettman lover, but his rager today showed more passion and a twinkle of trust that you will never find in Fehr. The greatest Union leader of all time. The greatest spin doctor in the biz. I support the majority of the players. Just not the select few who follow Fehr blindly, thinking he is doing their bidding. He's playing off his own rulebook. And he's costing the majority of the players dearly.

Old
12-06-2012, 09:42 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karitimes View Post
Go figure, Crosby signs the 12 year extension and Richards was the highest paid in the game last year. Wonder if they have a vested interest in this? As a Maritimer I'm embarrassed by their greed considering how humble of roots these clowns came from. Guess they're just bigger than the game and it's history at this point.
There's plenty of greed to go around. Neither Crosby nor Richards would be signed to such big money contracts if their owners didn't see it as an investment on future revenue. It's not like they just gave those contracts to them out of the goodness of their hearts - they're expecting to see profits from them at some point.

Old
12-06-2012, 09:47 PM
FrailSwan
ExplodeForEkblad

Here's how I see it: BOTH sides are to blame for this mess.

Bettman and his crew gets blamed for the start of the lockout for giving the players a **** CBA offer that he knew would go up.

But Fehr this last half because of his dangerous strategy and spinning that is costing the players, and now the fans.

Old
12-06-2012, 10:39 PM
Cin
Buck Fettman.

vCash: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
Obviously, I know where you're coming from. Thing is, the diehards will come back no matter what. In the big scheme of things, these lockouts hurt their ability to grow the fanbase among casual fans but that's not really who they count on to make the majority of their revenue base.

What I'm saying is, as far as business goes they actually can say "**** the fans" because hockey fans immediately rush back with open arms as soon as they can. Maybe if some major teams with awesome attendance, i.e. Montreal, Toronto, Chicago, etc. were to be empty for a few games due to fan boycott or something the league wouldn't be able to take their revenue base for granted.
We're on the same page. I want the game to grow and they just keep crippling it more and more each day.

Old
12-06-2012, 10:46 PM
Cin
Buck Fettman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrailSwan View Post
Bettman's no saint. But if you seriously think Fehr is the savior of the players, then you are sorely mistaken. Perhaps you didn't hear the presser's today?

How the **** do you meet with Daly for an extended period, come out to a press conference, say a deal is within reach with multiple agreements, walk off, come back twenty minutes later, and say they reject everything? Fehr plays a bad strategy.

I'm no Bettman lover, but his rager today showed more passion and a twinkle of trust that you will never find in Fehr. The greatest Union leader of all time. The greatest spin doctor in the biz. I support the majority of the players. Just not the select few who follow Fehr blindly, thinking he is doing their bidding. He's playing off his own rulebook. And he's costing the majority of the players dearly.
I'm not sure if you can read, or perhaps you just refuse to credit any of what I say.

I don't think you can quote anywhere in this thread where I've put my faith in Fehr, Bettman, God, the Easter Bunny, or even my dog.

My last posts are in direct response to... The press conference. You know the thing you suggested I didn't see today all over twitter, facebook, TSN, and HF.

You claim Bettman was raging? All of you 'fans' seem to claim he was raging? Looked like the same person I've been watching for years. This time he had some body language to add to the ******** spewing out of his mouth. Your opinions are formed by what the media tells you to think, and it's quite obvious.

Perhaps you should read my posts, and then respond. Not blindly throw accusations out and hope that they stick.

Old
12-06-2012, 10:54 PM
FrailSwan
ExplodeForEkblad

Quote:
I'm not sure if you can read, or perhaps you just refuse to credit any of what I say.

I don't think you can quote anywhere in this thread where I've put my faith in Fehr, Bettman, God, the Easter Bunny, or even my dog.

My last posts are in direct response to... The press conference. You know the thing you suggested I didn't see today all over twitter, facebook, TSN, and HF.

You claim Bettman was raging? All of you 'fans' seem to claim he was raging? Looked like the same person I've been watching for years. This time he had some body language to add to the ******** spewing out of his mouth. Your opinions are formed by what the media tells you to think, and it's quite obvious.

Perhaps you should read my posts, and then respond. Not blindly throw accusations out and hope that they stick.
Now it's time for you to read because I sad "if" when it came to you putting faith in Fehr, not that you "did".

That's hilarious that you know where my thoughts are coming from. I've watched every single one of Bettman's press conferences during this entire CBA frenzy and never did he come off as disturbed as he did today. So don't act like you know why I think what I do. Just because I agree with SOME of the media and a bunch of people, doesn't mean they are the reason I'm believing something. I learn to think for myself.

Quote:
Perhaps you didn't hear the presser's today?
Maybe you thought I had a certain tone with this? Maybe you thought I had a certain tone with all of this. I was simply responding and asking you a question. I wasn't trying to accuse you of anything. Man, you sure get heated though. Cool the jets, man. This isn't about accusing each other. It's giving out viewpoints and discussing them.

Last edited by FrailSwan: 12-06-2012 at 11:10 PM.
Old
12-06-2012, 11:10 PM
Cin
Buck Fettman.

Yeahhhh buddy.

Old
12-07-2012, 09:27 AM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Old
12-07-2012, 09:32 AM
Hegemon21

Fehr stabbed a guy in the heart with a trident...

Old
12-07-2012, 10:20 AM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegemon21 View Post
Fehr stabbed a guy in the heart with a trident...
Where did Fehr get a grenade?

Old
12-07-2012, 12:20 PM
Karitimes
JetsJetsJets

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
There's plenty of greed to go around. Neither Crosby nor Richards would be signed to such big money contracts if their owners didn't see it as an investment on future revenue. It's not like they just gave those contracts to them out of the goodness of their hearts - they're expecting to see profits from them at some point.
100% see your point, but I don't see how Mr. Owner in Nashville gets a return on Weber though he was forced into the deal. And I bet 30 out of 30 GMs take Weber over Richards. The systems stinks and it only benefits one third of the teams that can actually profit under the past CBA.

Quote:
Get ****ed both sides. Pathetic.
GM's and agent included.

Old
12-07-2012, 12:38 PM
Ambassador Of Fun

The way I see the fans' reaction to this whole thing is that most people just want their hockey back. The easiest and most likely way for that to happen as quick as possible is for the players to just cave to whatever the owners want and then they can just start watching hockey again. It has nothing to do with fair or not, or right or wrong, it has to do with getting what they want, when they want it.

I just find it really interesting that all these people on this site are siding with "The Man".

My thoughts on the actual lockout is that the owners are just railroading the players. In 2004, the owners got everything they wanted. They got 24% of salary back and they got their salary cap. Players "won" unlimited free agent rights (which they already had).

This time around, the owners are just going back to get everything they didn't get the last time. They want to go from 57/43 to 50/50 AND they want to limit players free agent rights. And what do the owners want give to the players to get that? You get a hotel room to yourself on the road if you've been in the league long enough...

So in general I'm on the players side of the negotiation, but I think they have royally ****ed up the PR battle. Fehr yesterday being front and center of that. Couple that with not "negotiating" until mid-September and I am equally as pissed at both sides.

Old
12-07-2012, 01:04 PM
FrailSwan
ExplodeForEkblad

Quote:
GM's and agent included.
Walsh is the worst when it comes to agents.

Old
12-09-2012, 07:19 PM
Karitimes
JetsJetsJets

Just finished watching OKC vs San Antonio. 3-2 Rampage. Surprising that OKC lost it's 4th consecutive.

Old
12-09-2012, 11:43 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
Milana <3

vCash: 157
Quote:
Just finished watching OKC vs San Antonio. 3-2 Rampage. Surprising that OKC lost it's 4th consecutive.
To think that some people legitimately thought that team would go 82-0.

Old
01-07-2013, 08:24 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games Seen: 13

vCash: 1495
Completely forgot Lidstrom had retired....now Holmstrom expected to announce his retirement soon.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Old
01-07-2013, 10:58 AM
starsfan24
#17 "Keep Rollin"

vCash: 995
Detroit is so old.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:18 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
Milana <3

vCash: 157
They'll be fine. Still a competitive team and by the time Datsyuk, Z, Kronwall, etc. are set to retire, their new guys will be more than ready to take over.

Detroit's always gonna be competitive until after Holland and co. are gone.

Old
01-08-2013, 04:30 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games Seen: 13

vCash: 1495
Not that it's a big shock or anything but Kings trying to trade Bernier...

Quote:
Last season, and over the summer, Kings GM Dean Lombardi tried to trade goaltender Jonathan Bernier, but came up empty.
Click to learn more...

It's believed Lombardi will revisit trade scenarios with several teams in the coming days, with the NHL poised to ratify the new Collective Bargaining Agreement tomorrow -- the NHLPA will begin the process of ratifying the deal either Thursday or Friday.
http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/lak130108.html

Old
01-08-2013, 05:47 PM
BigG44
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
Not that it's a big shock or anything but Kings trying to trade Bernier...
No not shocking but disappointing.

The point I made in the Trade Forum that I don't think I've made before he is Richard Bachman is very likely to become a Group 6 UFA this summer.

He's over 25 which qualifies him, and he's only completed 14 games (less than 28 and you're eligible). Even if he was the full time backup, I don't know if he'd get 14 games in a 48 game season. Plus, I'm fairly certain Dallas will want to see both Bachman and Nilstorp in the backup role in Dallas at some point to ultimately make a decision on who to go with next season.

This is essentially the same situation Ben Bishop and the St. Louis Blues were in last year. He ultimately landed a 2nd round pick, but he's also a big goalie. A cluttered trade market won't help either.

Old
01-08-2013, 07:18 PM
BigG44
HFB Partner

Other thread is moving dangerously close to 1,000, and this makes more sense here anyway.

KHL president has decided he will not honor verbal agreement to not allow signed NHL players to remain in the KHL after the lockout.

He says new CBA pretty much voids their current deals.

So ... Visnovsky .... 100% staying ... Rumors that Kovy, Ovy, and more could stay. Oh yeah ... Datsyuk maybe too.

Quote:
@SlavaMalamud: More Medvedev. "NHL's opinion of itself is so high... OK, let them get drunk on their greatness."
If sticks and stones ... haha

Old
01-08-2013, 08:42 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Quote:
So ... Visnovsky .... 100% staying ... Rumors that Kovy, Ovy, and more could stay. Oh yeah ... Datsyuk maybe too.
Ovy is already back, Datysuk has said he'll finish the final 2 years of his contract with Detroit. Kovy is the only drama.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:10 PM
BigG44
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGodAOD View Post
Ovy is already back, Datysuk has said he'll finish the final 2 years of his contract with Detroit. Kovy is the only drama.
Sweet. Last thing I saw was some report about a potential joint press conference from those three saying they were staying in the KHL.

Report said they were convinced to hold off by the PA. It was going to happen just before they agreed to the CBA.

Didn't see a follow up.

Losing Ovi would suck, but I'd hate to not get to see Datsuk. I honestly enjoy watching him more.

Kovy ...ehh ... hope he comes back, but not a huge loss for me.

Closed Thread