HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

Prospects-Major Junior (CHL), NCAA, Europe

Closed Thread

Old
11-17-2012, 01:04 PM
Sindiggy
Go Desert Dogs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
I did see the game...on television....

I thought Kessy was awesome. I've already texted some more casual Coyotes fans to DVR the re-air.

I'm not sure I like the Torres comparison, nor the Lucic one they kept throwing out during the broadcast. To me, he's like Kyle Clifford. Which is ****ing awesome. I think much like Clifford, he could steal a job at a very young age. If Bissonnette watched last night's game, he should probably started spending less money and start considering other opportunities because his job is about to go bye bye.
Biz's job on the bench is completely safe. Kessy will actually play, he can hit, he has a good shot and he's a heavy body to play against. Kessy does look more like Clifford than Lucic (good call RT) and I hated Clifford on the Kings so I'd love to have a clone on the Yotes.

Old
11-17-2012, 02:04 PM
Kaizen

Kessy certainly plays the "bull in a china shop" role well in junior hockey. The next step in his growth will be refining that role somewhat in Portland.
It would appear the organization has an asset worth developing that typifies Dave Tippett hockey to a T.

Old
11-18-2012, 01:03 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Chris Brown is another very big, very bad, downright violent hockey player. The thought of these two on the same line is drool worthy. Jordy Martinook and Hank Samuelsson aren't exactly shrinking violets, either. Plenty of opportunity to add sandpaper at this next draft, too. Kerby Rychel, Curtis Lazar, Adam Erne, etc. would certainly look mighty good in our pool.

Old
11-18-2012, 01:12 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by OOEEL View Post
Now see I was so tuned in to Kale I didn't notice Klimchuk, might have to go back and rewatch it at some point this weekend.

Was there anything else you noticed/disagreed with my opinion on rt? I really enjoy your insight and with being new to watching hockey critically it always helps to know what particular things I should be looking out for.
Nope. Looked fairly spot on to me.

Also, I actually have no idea what I'm talking about. I'm just a fanboy nerd. There are a couple of posters on this board, though, that really know what they are talking about.

Speaking of which....

WHERE THE HELL HAVE YOU GONE... wpgyotes?

Last edited by rt: 11-18-2012 at 01:34 PM.
Old
11-18-2012, 08:54 PM
Kimahri

Send a message via AIM to Kimahri
I watched the game friday night between Vancouver and Regina and it was only the second game of Kessy's that I have seen from start to finish so I might be way off. But his game reminds me of Wayne Simmonds. Big lanky body that he loves to throw around. And even the way he throws punches looks a lot like Simmonds with the big wind up haymakers that rarely connect, haha. I'd love him to develop like Simmonds but I doubt his offensive game ever develops like his.

Old
11-18-2012, 11:09 PM
XX
... Waiting

Anything to get more hitting and grit. The Coyotes under Tippett have been rather soft, which can be boring at times. Sound positional play just isn't as appealing as a huge hit. Having some legitimate rough-and-tumble types on the 3rd and 4th line would go a long way towards fixing that.

I had written Kessy off but it's nice to see the trade has sparked him. Brown has exceeded expectations, I think. Really excited to see how his game translates to the NHL.

Old
11-25-2012, 08:25 PM
hbk

Just finished watching Samuellson 's efforts from Fridays game.

His 2 nd period was dominant. Jaw dropping effort as he had one shift where he was everywhere. He plays a pro game. Tippett will love him.

Old
11-26-2012, 07:38 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

^ yeah, he's also pretty nasty. The term "rat" I think applies pretty well. I really like this prospect. He's got a lot of NHL style tools.

Old
12-04-2012, 01:37 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Henrik Samuelsson gets snubbed by USA hockey. I am so disgusted by USA hockey and all of their ******** politics. It's pathetic. You are supposed to pick the best possible team to represent your country, not make political statements. God I hate that program.

Go Russia Go! Go Russia Go! Go Russia Go!

Old
12-04-2012, 01:50 PM
mitch27

Quote:
Henrik Samuelsson gets snubbed by USA hockey. I am so disgusted by USA hockey and all of their ******** politics. It's pathetic. You are supposed to pick the best possible team to represent your country, not make political statements. God I hate that program.

Go Russia Go! Go Russia Go! Go Russia Go!
Reading that it was more of an issue with his skating. I have only seen highlights, is it really that bad?

Old
12-04-2012, 02:38 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

His skating is absolutely not an issue for a U20 tournament. In the SEL? Sure. Not in a U20 tournament, though. Not even close.

Old
12-04-2012, 02:57 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch27 View Post
Reading that it was more of an issue with his skating. I have only seen highlights, is it really that bad?
I will slightly disagree with rt.

His skating at the summer camp much like earlier this WHL season was an issue. Based on those snapshots the belief is he would be exposed on larger ice. That being said I've noticed improvement in Samuelsson's stride which would cause me to believe it would be less of an issue today. Coupled with the strength of his recent play (10 game point streak), solid all around defensive game, and strong physical play Samuellson should be on this team.

Bottom line is Team USA was looking for a reason not to bring him and they found it in his skating. Next year they won't have a reason.

Last edited by hbk: 12-04-2012 at 03:05 PM.
Old
12-04-2012, 04:54 PM
mitch27

Thanks for the answers guys. How far away do you think he is from the NHL? What needs to improve?

Old
12-04-2012, 05:29 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I'd advocate his staying in the WHL again next season (USA won't be able to keep him off the national roster then) and then I'd think he'd be ready for the AHL the year after that. We'll see if he adjusts well enough to the AHL to be NHL ready the season after that.

As far as what needs to improve, in a word, everything. He needs to grow in all aspects. He's a beast of a player but could still stand to fill a out a bit more. He's going to need to work on his discipline. He's a nasty, nasty player who regularly crosses the line. He's going to get away with even less at the next levels, so he needs to work on making better decisions when he's seeing red. His mobility, in every sense, needs to improve quite a bit, too. He's definitely well ahead of the curve as an all around player, though.

He's a really good prospect and USA is very stupid for excluding him from camp. He's a much more impressive player than literally half the forwards they've invited. Erne should be there too. It's very disappointing and I'm going to root for either Russia, Sweden, or Finland.

Old
12-05-2012, 08:11 AM
Rutkowski

At least it's your own country ****ing with your team. Ottawa's organization have banned Zib from appearing in the WJC and as such kinda put a huge damper on any chance Sweden have to defend their gold.

It's ****ing ******** and you know it.

Old
12-05-2012, 09:23 AM
SPORTSMANIAC

Send a message via AIM to SPORTSMANIAC
Gillies named to USA World Jr. roster
By Nathan Fournier Published: 5th December 2012
Quote:
PORTLAND – Jon Gillies shook off the cobwebs from a slightly disappointing outing at this summer’s World Junior Evaluation camp for USA Hockey with a strong start to his freshmen season at Providence College.

He will now be representing his country as one of the three goaltenders on the roster announced on Tuesday.

“This summer I didn’t think I played to what my numbers said,” said Gillies. “It was a tough week of puck luck, but it’s definitely nice to come out of there and start my freshmen year off well. My teammates have been great in front of me.”

LINK>>>

I have stuff on Connor Murphy being selected in the story.

Old
12-05-2012, 12:38 PM
FinHockey
KRH Master Race

vCash: 50
Niklas Tikkinen has been double shifted today in Blues' SM-liiga game. This is his ninth game of the season and he has five assists and no goals.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:19 AM
Blubba Jenkins
Staying Faithful

I admit ignorance, what is it politically about Hank that stopped him from being invited?

Old
12-06-2012, 09:45 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

He had the audacity to help the Edmonton Oil Kings win the WHL championship rather than help USA win gold at the 2012 IIHF World U18 Championships. He spurned the NCAA in favor of the SEL, and later the CHL. Top five super star prospects like Alex Galchenyuk and Seth Jones can he forgiven such trespasses but guys like Samuelsson will be made examples of.

Old
12-07-2012, 12:20 AM
Blubba Jenkins
Staying Faithful

Quote:
He had the audacity to help the Edmonton Oil Kings win the WHL championship rather than help USA win gold at the 2012 IIHF World U18 Championships. He spurned the NCAA in favor of the SEL, and later the CHL. Top five super star prospects like Alex Galchenyuk and Seth Jones can he forgiven such trespasses but guys like Samuelsson will be made examples of.
Wow, that's really petty.

Old
12-16-2012, 11:48 AM
hbk

Since November Conner Murphy has 15 points and is a +19 in 19 games.

Old
12-16-2012, 12:16 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
Since November Conner Murphy has 15 points and is a +19 in 19 games.
Sarnia has gotten hot though. Still, he's within 1 of Galchenyuk with 1/3rd the points. He's doing something right.

Old
12-16-2012, 04:29 PM
Kaizen

His offensive numbers are on pace to be down YoY but alongside a much improved +/-.

That works for me.

Old
12-16-2012, 09:56 PM
lanky

Can't wait to see him at the WJC.

Old
12-16-2012, 10:32 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

^ I'm super excited to watch Murphy, but majorly bummed that Erne and Samuelsson won't be on the team. It also sucks that Canada gets ringers like RNH and Huberdeau while a kid I'd love to get another look at in Sean Monahan gets sent packing. Oh well, at least MacKinnon, Drouin, Barkov and Lindholm will be there.

Closed Thread