HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

RW/C Ryan Strome (2011, 5th overall, Islanders)

Old
11-27-2012, 07:00 AM
Dan-o16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Howie View Post
Strome is uber talented, makes crazy passes, fantastic shot.

What I find is often looked over is his tenacity/defensive game.

He is out there stick lifting, getting physical (when need be)... sure, that isn't what he is known for, but he brings a complete game to the table. No one can ever call him a 1 dimensional player because he brings it in all ends.
First time I saw Strome, I noticed (i) his hunched over skating style, (ii) his lateral mobility, and (iii) he's feisty. I thought of Killer, but I don't dare dream Strome can be that good.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 07:23 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

I am gonna admit it, I thought he would be that skilled second line who just can be insane, but wow the way he is performing, something surprising for sure.

12-01-2012, 08:36 AM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Howie View Post
Strome is uber talented, makes crazy passes, fantastic shot.

What I find is often looked over is his tenacity/defensive game.

He is out there stick lifting, getting physical (when need be)... sure, that isn't what he is known for, but he brings a complete game to the table. No one can ever call him a 1 dimensional player because he brings it in all ends.
Strome is now the leading scorer in the CHL. He's having an excellent season.

It's great that Strome has improved his overall game, I think too many people pigeonhole him because he is so gifted offensively.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 08:39 AM
FrankMTL

He's having such a fantastic year. He really brought his game to another level in November.

FrankMTL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 08:43 PM
thrillhous

Another 2 + 1 tonight. Ho hum.

thrillhous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 08:57 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillhous View Post
Another 2 + 1 tonight. Ho hum.
What is he averaging like 3 points a game for the past 10-12 games? I remember at the end of October he was averaging slightly better then a point a game and as an Islanders fan I was a little disappointed(you expect a guy who is passed off as a scorer would be scoring at a better pace, especially as a 20 year old)

I can see Strome being moved to RW in the NHL, he definitely would fit perfectly with Tavares

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 09:02 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
What is he averaging like 3 points a game for the past 10-12 games? I remember at the end of October he was averaging slightly better then a point a game and as an Islanders fan I was a little disappointed(you expect a guy who is passed off as a scorer would be scoring at a better pace, especially as a 20 year old)

I can see Strome being moved to RW in the NHL, he definitely would fit perfectly with Tavares
Looks like training with Johnny in the Dungeon is paying dividends for Strome. He's been dominant for the last month or so.

I disagree, his game is best suited for the pivot. His skillset is very Tavares-like. I could see them together on the PP though.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 09:05 PM
thrillhous

Quote:

He is 19 and doesn't turn 20 until July. But yeah, it has been something like 3 points per game in November.

Old
12-01-2012, 09:09 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Looks like training with Johnny in the Dungeon is paying dividends for Strome. He's been dominant for the last month or so.

I disagree, his game is best suited for the pivot. His skillset is very Tavares-like. I could see them together on the PP though.
From most my viewings of Strome he likes to play on the right side of the ice, while Tavares seems to do best just to the left of the net. In terms of PP, that works perfectly, in terms of 5-on-5 that might work out good as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillhous View Post
He is 19 and doesn't turn 20 until July. But yeah, it has been something like 3 points per game in November.
Fair enough, I just ment he was in his last year of junior eligibility(and given where he was drafted you expect slightly better then a PPG scoring rate)

Old
12-01-2012, 09:14 PM
thrillhous

Quote:
Fair enough, I just ment he was in his last year of junior eligibility(and given where he was drafted you expect slightly better then a PPG scoring rate)
Well it will be his final year of juniors no doubt (as he will move on to the NHL or at the very least the AHL), but my understanding is that he would still be eligible to return as a 20 year old. For example, Isles prospect Brenden Kichton.

Old
12-01-2012, 09:30 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Quote:
From most my viewings of Strome he likes to play on the right side of the ice, while Tavares seems to do best just to the left of the net. In terms of PP, that works perfectly, in terms of 5-on-5 that might work out good as well

If I remember correctly, before he went on this run he was at or close to top-5 in scoring, averaging slightly less than 1.5ppg. I could be wrong, but I don't remember him being anywhere close to a 1.0ppg player this year.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 09:48 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
If I remember correctly, before he went on this run he was at or close to top-5 in scoring, averaging slightly less than 1.5ppg. I could be wrong, but I don't remember him being anywhere close to a 1.0ppg player this year.
http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/r...eByGame/id/360

21 points in 16 games(1.31 PPG) till the end of October. Not terrible but you sort of expect more out of a top 5 pick in his final year who was drafted based on scoring

Old
12-02-2012, 02:00 AM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

35 points in 13 November games
2.7 points per November game played is quite impressive

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 08:49 AM
Mr Writer

As long as he keeps it going for the world junior championships. See you in the gold medal game folks.

Mr Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 08:54 AM
Islanderfan17

I seriously can't wait for this kid to make it to the show, I think he is going to be another special player for the Isles that we desperately need. We can't have Johnny boy carrying the team ALL the time, we need another offensive superstar.

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 10:04 AM
Montreal Impact FC
.:| Champ's City |:.

No matter what Galchenyuk do it seems Strome is another stromosphere right now lol he just keep that 10 point gap its amazing... lets hope he gets cold so my Galchy can finnish leading scorer

Montreal Impact FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 01:30 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
Captain Tavares

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanderfan17 View Post
I seriously can't wait for this kid to make it to the show, I think he is going to be another special player for the Isles that we desperately need. We can't have Johnny boy carrying the team ALL the time, we need another offensive superstar.
I remember wanting to go D badly with Hamilton but this works out just fine, for the same reason you say, we need more high talent firepower and creativity.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 01:38 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

That's awesome for Islanders fans, hopefully he reaches his potential and you guys can stop hearing about the other good players that you passed on to take him. Things are starting to look up for the Isles franchise!

12-03-2012, 12:21 AM
Islanderfan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
That's awesome for Islanders fans, hopefully he reaches his potential and you guys can stop hearing about the other good players that you passed on to take him. Things are starting to look up for the Isles franchise!
Yes they are

It's about time, I hope the Isles and Oil can meet in the SCF once again in the near future.

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 12:51 AM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

honestly the best thing that could have happened to the franchise was to move to Brooklyn. Strome and company should have an impact relatively soon and playing outside the broken down barn on the Island is only going to help matters.
They can bring the cup banners with them

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 04:41 AM
barto316

Icedog STH here. The reason Strome didn't score at the same pace early was because Ritchie his winger was snake bitten and his other winger was being switched up every second game. Ritchie had 1 goal through 12 games and 19 in the next 12. Ritchie hasn't played any better it just started going in for him. He was getting 10 shots a night. The other winger was Mike Robinson for 7 or 8 games. The kid is just not an OHL player. The line now with Theoret is dominating every line they play against game in and game out.

barto316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 08:43 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by barto316 View Post
Icedog STH here. The reason Strome didn't score at the same pace early was because Ritchie his winger was snake bitten and his other winger was being switched up every second game. Ritchie had 1 goal through 12 games and 19 in the next 12. Ritchie hasn't played any better it just started going in for him. He was getting 10 shots a night. The other winger was Mike Robinson for 7 or 8 games. The kid is just not an OHL player. The line now with Theoret is dominating every line they play against game in and game out.
Interesting. Good to hear.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 09:53 PM
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk

Strome with another 3 pts tonight, now has 62 points in 31 games on the year.

IslesRock4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 06:16 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesRock4 View Post
Strome with another 3 pts tonight, now has 62 points in 31 games on the year.
2ppg, eh. Nice. Kid is coming up well.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 06:30 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
2ppg, eh. Nice. Kid is coming up well.
Might be his last home game if the lockout ends. Although as an Islanders fan I rather they just keep him in junior for the rest of the year(don't need him playing in NY and get like 15 points in 50 games on the third line with marginal PP time)