Around The League - Hockey is back!

Closed Thread

Old
12-06-2012, 08:52 PM
Exit Dose

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post
I like the idea of teams being able to offer their own UFAs more years (7) than other teams UFAs (5). That could be huge to smaller market teams like the Ducks and others. I really hope this makes it's way into the final deal.
It also gives leverage to get a better return in trade if a player plans on walking.

Old
12-06-2012, 10:12 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
The owners are the ones signing off on those contracts. What is a player meant to do, turn down a contract that sets them and their families up for life?
Any player getting a 5+ year contract IS set for life. They are holding out for circumvention contracts from teams with money to burn over a few years rather than signing for more money than all of us put together will make in our lives. I'm not jealous, but they shouldn't expect sympathy for "only" making 20-50M either.

Old
12-06-2012, 10:55 PM
DarthYenik

Once again the players make an offer and the NHL rejects, with no counter proposal.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:39 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
Any player getting a 5+ year contract IS set for life. They are holding out for circumvention contracts from teams with money to burn over a few years rather than signing for more money than all of us put together will make in our lives. I'm not jealous, but they shouldn't expect sympathy for "only" making 20-50M either.
But who are we to criticize the players for signing contracts that the owners are stupid enough to give them. If I had to choose between a 5 year $30M offer and a 10 year $50M offer that circumvents the cap, I'll take the guaranteed money every time.

the owners need contract restrictions in place because they need saving from themselves. The difference between 5/7 (NHLs offer) and 7/8 (PAs offer) isn't enough to lose a season over.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:56 PM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

I don't blame the players for signing those deals. But if we lose a season over their insistence that those deals continue then I lose a lot of respect for them. They won't exactly be living on food stamps if 5/7 becomes the law of the land.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:59 PM
Gibson Les Palms

vCash: 50
It's just infuriating that they can seemingly agree on $$ but still allow negotiations to fall through. I mean, that was main reason for the lockout to begin with.

Old
12-07-2012, 12:07 AM
Paul4587

Quote:
I don't blame the players for signing those deals. But if we lose a season over their insistence that those deals continue then I lose a lot of respect for them. They won't exactly be living on food stamps if 5/7 becomes the law of the land.
They've come down a lot to 7/8. The NHL is at 5/7. Split the difference and make it 6/8 or 5/8, it's hardly worth flat out refusing to negotiate over.

Old
12-07-2012, 12:22 AM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
They've come down a lot to 7/8. The NHL is at 5/7. Split the difference and make it 6/8 or 5/8, it's hardly worth flat out refusing to negotiate over.
I could live with either of those. But I'm really just fed up with both sides. There is plenty of blame to go around. I don't appreciate being taken for granted and that's exactly what both sides are doing to all the fans. To be in this very same position in the very next CBA after losing a full season is flat out unconscionable. Unless of course you really don't give a damn about the fans and just assume the money will start flowing again because of some half-assed apology both sides later issue. **** 'em both.

Old
12-07-2012, 12:38 AM
Sean Garrity
They call me Hampus

Quote:
I could live with either of those. But I'm really just fed up with both sides. There is plenty of blame to go around. I don't appreciate being taken for granted and that's exactly what both sides are doing to all the fans. To be in this very same position in the very next CBA after losing a full season is flat out unconscionable. Unless of course you really don't give a damn about the fans and just assume the money will start flowing again because of some half-assed apology both sides later issue. **** 'em both.
THIS. Both sides are wrong, end of story. Get it done. Meowish!

Old
12-07-2012, 08:26 AM
Lord Flashheart
Squadron Commander

"There's no pressure yet on the owners to lose this year, that's why they still treat us like Cattle. They'll need a partner come January."

Oh Scottie, I feel for you, and other underpriviledged players of the NHL. How do you make ends meet is beyond me...

Old
12-07-2012, 09:19 AM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

Cattle everywhere lament their lack of middle fingers to show to Scottie Upshall.

Old
12-07-2012, 11:49 AM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
I like the idea of teams being able to offer their own UFAs more years (7) than other teams UFAs (5). That could be huge to smaller market teams like the Ducks and others. I really hope this makes it's way into the final deal.
I like that too.

The NBA does it this way. Not only does the home team get to offer more years, but they can also offer more money. More money doesn't really apply in the NHL because they don't have a strict player salary max based on years of service like the NBA does.

Old
12-10-2012, 01:38 PM
DarthYenik

Just cancel the whole god damn season already. Stop giving us hope when there isn't any.

Old
12-10-2012, 02:12 PM
Gibson Les Palms

Once it's no longer to possible to play ~48 games, I'd say don't bother. But so long as there is a chance for that to happen, I hope they continue to try and find a resolution.

Old
12-10-2012, 02:40 PM
Paul4587

They're idiots if they can't get this done before January. What's separating the two sides is now is not worth losing a season over.

Old
12-10-2012, 04:10 PM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

I think both sides have long since established they're both idiots. Don't underestimate their ability to **** this up.

Old
12-10-2012, 04:51 PM
KelVarnsen
Trade Etem!

Sounds like a lot of the players wanted to accept the last deal the owners offered but Fehr's ego got in the way.

Old
12-10-2012, 05:34 PM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

While both sides have plenty to be blamed for I'm starting to have one large Fehr (pun intended).

Regardless of what anybody's personal opinion of Donald Fehr is, he has a legacy of success during his many years in baseball. He is viewed as being extremely successful at what he does. I'm starting to worry that his desire not to see his legacy tarnished with failure in the NHL, may be driving the players over their own cliff rather than accepting a deal that could cause many to question if Fehr's reputation was over hyped. He may be willing to risk blowing up the NHL for the sake of his own legacy. He did, after all, lead the baseball strike of 1994 which led to the cancellation of the World Series that year.

The longer this goes, the more I wonder.

Old
12-10-2012, 06:23 PM
DarthYenik

Completely agree. Fehr's ego or at least what he's asking for on behalf of the players, many if not most would have accepted the last offer, has gotten in the way. I'm not sure if he's holding out because he is looking out for the players, or doesn't want to be the one to back down, or whatever, but it all stinks if the player want to finally settle and he says no.

Old
12-10-2012, 06:46 PM
Paul4587

I think the biggest issue is the owners letting their hatred of Fehr get in the way of negotiations, not Fehr himself.

Why couldn't the NHL negotiate off the last PA proposal instead of taking everything off the table and throw a tantrum about Fehr to the media?

Also I don't know where you're getting the information from that most players wanted to accept the last offer. There have been a few annonymous complaints to media guys but it sounds like the majority are still holding out for more.

Old
12-10-2012, 07:13 PM
DarthYenik

I heard most players wanted to accept, but that might just be media exaggeration, or my own. But I don't completely blame Fehr, as is evident in many of my posts in here in the past four months. He's doing his job, even if it's not too good of one. Bettman and the owners in my mind shoulder most of the blame. When it comes to the battle of egos, the league's side has moved an inch to close the divid, while the PA has moved a mile. And the BS announcements of the cancellation of large quantities of games every few weeks, is just counter productive and a bad scare tactic to try and force the PA to doing something out of fear.

Both sides are definitely bull headed and share the blame.

Old
12-10-2012, 08:06 PM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

I can't deny that I have also wondered if Bettman and the league saw Fehr as someone who needs to be destroyed at all cost. They know what he did in baseball and they may feel the need to not let him get his foot in the door here.

But, as I stated before, there is plenty of blame to go around and I'm not losing sleep over choosing sides. I've gone back and forth since the summer and at this point in time I just don't care anymore. There will be no winners when this thing is over.

And the last thing I want when this is over, is to hear is some phony baloney BS apology from each side like you know we are going to get. Save it. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Old
12-11-2012, 01:18 AM
Gibson Les Palms

So the secret, undisclosed location is in fact New York City?

Old
12-13-2012, 01:02 AM
Exit Dose

From an article here.
Quote:
"I have been talking to a number of teams on the continent today who have NHL guys on their rosters. It seems that quite a few of them have been told by their NHL agents today, to get ready to return within the next week. One GM told me today that a contact of his in the NHL had advised that they are now looking at 2nd January restart."

Old
12-13-2012, 01:19 AM
Gibson Les Palms

Each side is waiting for the other to blink. Game theory in action.

Closed Thread