HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

NHL Lockout XXI: A fire is brewing (Bettman PC in 1st post)

Closed Thread

Old
12-06-2012, 11:10 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
THE National Champs

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
I had time to get away from the boards and went to the gym for an hour or two. I really was deep in thought and sincerely... I believe Bettman won the fans over tonight for the NHL whenever it comes back. The candid presser with him just spewing his raw emotions was amazing. If you watch both pressers (which I did at the gym as I was running), you can clearly tell which one is honest and which one is spin/********.

I don't know what has happened in the last 2 hours, but I did realize that Bettman should be cheered next time he is at a game. That was just tremendous.

Old
Moe Szyslak
Sears catalog

There is no doubt that PR spin has been used by both sides throughout this lockout. But if we are talking about todays events, then it's all on the NHLPA.

I do believe the NHL told the PA that their offer was based on a package deal. I do believe they told the PA they wanted a yes or no answer.

Then the PA responds with a proposal asking for more instead of giving the answer the NHL wanted. Then they come to the podium and say they believe they have an agreement, knowing full well the NHL would not be happy with what the PA responded with.

Then the PA spins it and acts shocked and dissapointed that the NHL rejected them.

I pride myself on being able to see through peoples BS. And there was plenty spewing out of Fehr tonight. How anyone can be in favor of this guy is beyond my comprehension.

Old
UnrefinedCrude

vCash: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langdon Alger View Post
I wonder if we'll see Bettman or Daly phone up the Fehrs sometime this weekend and say, "Listen, guys, we'll throw you one more bone. We'll re-table this week's offer if - and only if - you allow the players to vote on it. If you refuse, it's off the table for good."

I can definitely see it happening.
I can see that conversation happrning, but I think it would take the PA phoning and asking to talk. Gary or Bill would cut them off mid-sentence and tell them that.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:11 PM
rdawg1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
So... just so there's clarity right now

NHL wants:
-5% variance on max 5 year terms (7 years on a team's UFA)

Players want:
-Pension changes
-Extended Buyouts outside the cap
-25% contract variance on max 10 year terms (if not unlimited)
No PA offered 8 year contract limits from what I understand(unless I wasnt hearing properly.)

Old
ieglover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post

Perhaps not what NHLPA intended when they came up with the strategy of having players stand behind Fehr.
Richards looks shellshocked and Crosby looks like he could shoot laser beams out of his eyes into the back of Fehr's head.

Old
Ollie Queen
After 5 years...

Quote:

Perhaps not what NHLPA intended when they came up with the strategy of having players stand behind Fehr.
This is golden. Should be the cover of every hockey publications/front page of every website tomorrow.

Old
IDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinc360 View Post
They're playing a game of deal or no deal. Players play the game, owners are the bankers.

Players gambled and just opened the million dollar suitcase. Lets see if they keep pushing their luck or accept the deal as it currently is.
i agree and think its a good analogy..except i would said they opened that million dollar case in early november and just turned down the best offer they are most likely going to get to let it ride in hope's of having the only high dollar case left in there hand

Old
Freudian
Classless IMO

vCash: 0
Quote:
I wonder if we'll see Bettman or Daly phone up the Fehrs sometime this weekend and say, "Listen, guys, we'll throw you one more bone. We'll re-table this week's offer if - and only if - you allow the players to vote on it. If you refuse, it's off the table for good."

After the number of times Fehr's derailed the process, I think they are more likely to offer it in public so they know they players get the message than to ask Fehr.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:13 PM
Carey Commit
Where's the Doritos?

Send a message via ICQ to Carey Commit
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I had time to get away from the boards and went to the gym for an hour or two. I really was deep in thought and sincerely... I believe Bettman won the fans over tonight for the NHL whenever it comes back. The candid presser with him just spewing his raw emotions was amazing. If you watch both pressers (which I did at the gym as I was running), you can clearly tell which one is honest and which one is spin/********.

I don't know what has happened in the last 2 hours, but I did realize that Bettman should be cheered next time he is at a game. That was just tremendous.
lol you must have been pulled directly from a Frank Luntz focus group. They're both dishonest and they're both spin masters.

Old
CerebralGenesis

Quote:

What gym did you go to in Pitt that had those on? LA Fitness southside?

Old
MikeK

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ieglover View Post
Richards looks shellshocked and Crosby looks like he could shoot laser beams out of his eyes into the back of Fehr's head.
Also look at Marty. He looks like he's in that "What the hell did we just do!?" moment.

Old
Top 6 Spaling

Logan Couture ‏@Logancouture
100 percent in agreement with our @NHLPA leader for all if you asking

Retweeted by JVR

https://twitter.com/Logancouture/sta...83331419889664

Old
Phil Parent
Djee-zosse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
As a QMJHL alum, where do you stand Phil? What about your old teammates?
Good question.

You know, my biggest regret in life is that I didn't have the talent to play pro. As a hockey player, I was a dime a dozen. A defenseman, ordinary, stay-at-home, depth guy. If I were talented enough to play in the NHL, and I'd be in the situation that guys I knew like Gagne and Max Talbot are today, maybe there are others I played with that I forget that are locked out, I'd sing a different tune. But right now, I think the players' position is indecent.

As things stands, I'm no longer an hockey player. No longer have any link with the inside of the game other than my nephew's playing midget. He's decent. I work in a college as a tutor. And I make decent money I guess. And I'm unionized. But I'm at the mercy of the government. If they cut the CEGEP network, I'm out of a job. If they make cuts in the CEGEPs, I have to deal with it, and if the government feels like making cuts in the payroll to save some money, they will, and there isn't much I can do except strike, and if my union decides to do that, I don't get a 10,000$ stipend...

So, my only position can be to find the player's position indecent. I live in a poor damn town, and there's lots of people here that are miserable because they don't have the Habs, and the Habs are all that gets them thru the year, it's what they live vividly throughout of. And they are miserable because these guys won't take the money.

Again, if I would be an NHL player, I might sing a totally different tune.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:14 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrefinedCrude View Post
I can see that conversation happrning, but I think it would take the PA phoning and asking to talk. Gary or Bill would cut them off mid-sentence and tell them that.
To me it sounds like the NHL is done "throwing bones"

The PA (Fehr) really screwed up today. NHL and its Owners are thoroughly pissed off.

Old
NHL1674
Whatever...

Quote:

St. Louis has that, "Oh #@$!, what did he just do!," look on his face.

Old
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:

I don't buy anything Bettman sells. Completely full of **** and there's no difference in this presser than any other. He just seemed to draw more people in that were looking to blame someone else.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:15 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasybaseballchamp View Post
lol you must have been pulled directly from a Frank Luntz focus group. They're both dishonest and they're both spin masters.
I'm not even being sarcastic here. What's spin to you exactly?

Old
Crows*

Dreger just said "there are players and agents that believe fehr is trying to crash this deal"

Old
luongo321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post

Retweeted by JVR

I could totally see him saying that with his crybaby expression that he always seems to have on his face.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:16 PM
B2k3
#Yzerteam

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
Also look at Marty. He looks like he's in that "What the hell did we just do!?" moment.
He looks like he just ran back to back marathons...

The players honestly all look exhausted and drained.

Old
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
To me it sounds like the NHL is done "throwing bones"

The PA (Fehr) really screwed up today. NHL and its Owners are thoroughly pissed off.
I'd love to see a video of the owner reactions to the NHLPA members coming back on the $100 mil with the "Thanks! We also want these ..."

Tanenbaum was apparently turning purple.

Old
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:

That's actually a really great idea. Anyone know Bettman's email?

That way, maybe they actually get the deal done, and don't have to deal with D. Fehr's *********.

Old
FrailSwan

Quote:

Retweeted by JVR

Blind Logan is blind.

Old
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:

Retweeted by JVR

Good for him, he wants his big contract soon

Old
Ollie Queen
After 5 years...

Quote:

Retweeted by JVR

Yes, it looks like it Logan

So tired of losing respect for players. Wish they would all just zip it. By the time the lockout is over I'm going to have lost respect for so many that I'll have trouble rooting for anyone.

Closed Thread