HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Adam Proteau from THN talks about the Leafs, and the Lockout

Old
12-05-2012, 04:10 PM
WeWantACup
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Adam Proteau from THN talks about the Leafs, and the Lockout

Today's episode we talk to The Hockey News writer and THN Radio Show star joins us today.We talk about his beginnings, the Leafs and the Lockout situation. Adam shares great in site into the sport and team we love. Thank you Adam

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/...577173646?mt=2

WeWantACup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 04:43 PM
tacoburrito

vCash: 50
Dat face

tacoburrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 09:40 PM
WeWantACup
HFB Partner

was hoping to get some reaction on Adam's thoughts on the Leafs

Old
12-05-2012, 09:48 PM
Marco Esquandolas
Registered Abuser

vCash: 1170
Is there any way I can listen without downloading iTunes?

Marco Esquandolas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 09:53 PM
WeWantACup
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Stallone View Post
frank we are working on an mp3 version sorry its down for tonight.. i will post its asap

Old
12-06-2012, 11:05 AM
WeWantACup
HFB Partner

Quote:
Try this Frank http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect....eafmatters.mp3

Old
12-06-2012, 05:28 PM
Stephen

Was Adam Proteau suggesting a guy like Steven Stamkos will consider coming home to Toronto one day? Stamkos always struck me as a Torontonian who would realistically come back here and assume his place at the pinnacle of the Toronto sports world unlike a lot of Toronto's hockey playing sons. Here's hoping it happens!

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 05:52 PM
Leafs For Life*
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Was Adam Proteau suggesting a guy like Steven Stamkos will consider coming home to Toronto one day? Stamkos always struck me as a Torontonian who would realistically come back here and assume his place at the pinnacle of the Toronto sports world unlike a lot of Toronto's hockey playing sons. Here's hoping it happens!
Even though Kessel is considered a sniper, he still has good playmaking ability. A JVR-Stamkos-Kessel line would be awesome in the future, if Stamkos comes home.

Leafs For Life* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 07:35 PM
MakeTheIronSing

I always used to think players would show more allegiance as well.

Sadly, home is where you hang your diamond encrusted unicorn skin hat when you're making 8 million dollars a year and can still walk around your community in sandals without a peep.

Great idea, and would love it, sadly, I'm losing faith in how much hockey is really as important as the cheque for these guys.

MakeTheIronSing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 09:44 PM
WeWantACup
HFB Partner

i dont think he would come here until like they said in the show, he is at his twilight. Like we said name one big time free agent that has come here in his prime over the last 20 years

Old
12-06-2012, 09:47 PM
thepatient

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeWantACup View Post
i dont think he would come here until like they said in the show, he is at his twilight. Like we said name one big time free agent that has come here in his prime over the last 20 years
Cujo? Other than that can't think of anyone.

thepatient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 09:51 PM
WeWantACup
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepatient View Post
Cujo? Other than that can't think of anyone.
agreed but wasn't he getting on too?

Old
12-06-2012, 09:53 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
agreed but wasn't he getting on too?
No. He was in the prime of his career. Easily the best and biggest free agent signing of that summer.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 09:53 PM
Marco Esquandolas
Registered Abuser

vCash: 1170
It's pretty rare that 'big-time' players become UFAs before their twilight years anyway, and even rarer that they actually suit your team needs so perfectly that they're worth getting into a bidding war over.

Marco Esquandolas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 10:23 PM
Stephen

Quote:
To be honest that question was pretty uneducated in the first place and I think you guys should have known better than to use it as some kind of criticism against the Leafs.

The CBA that expired in 2004 did dictate that players had to be 31 or older to become UFAs, or else they had to be making less than the league average and have served for a certain number of years, as was the case with Paul Kariya at the end of 2004.

And we all know that offer sheets were largely a no-go at the time.

Nobody was signing big time free agents in their 20s before 2004, unless you were paying five first round draft picks, like the Blues did for Scott Stevens. And then coughing up Scott Stevens to New Jersey for Brendan Shanahan.

Old
12-06-2012, 10:51 PM
WeWantACup
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
To be honest that question was pretty uneducated in the first place and I think you guys should have known better than to use it as some kind of criticism against the Leafs.

The CBA that expired in 2004 did dictate that players had to be 31 or older to become UFAs, or else they had to be making less than the league average and have served for a certain number of years, as was the case with Paul Kariya at the end of 2004.

And we all know that offer sheets were largely a no-go at the time.

Nobody was signing big time free agents in their 20s before 2004, unless you were paying five first round draft picks, like the Blues did for Scott Stevens. And then coughing up Scott Stevens to New Jersey for Brendan Shanahan.
Great point i'll bring that up with Micheal thanks. So its really only been 8 or 9 years

Old
12-07-2012, 08:14 AM
WeWantACup
HFB Partner

Everything I said about Crosby, in this episode I take back. Watching those players stand behind Fehr last night as he purposely tried to mislead the hockey world and the fans. He knowingly played with our emotions as some of our sons and daughters heroes stood there and okayed him to do it. I personally am now at a point where I am truly disgusted with how our game is being treated and those that represent it. IMO that speech last night by Fehr was one if not the darkest moments in NHL history.

Old
12-07-2012, 08:48 AM
Mystifo
Malkin To Kulemin.

I gave it a listen up to the point when I heard the phrase "Let's discuss the Lockout." Nothing against you or anything I just have heard so much about the Lockout from TSN. The Sun, THN, etc that I can't deal with any more. It is much like the Luongo thread in Trade Rumors it is a dead horse that we just keep beating. Not bad commentary on the whole "star player coming home.". My only problem is the disregard that the media has nothing to do with them returning. While I will admit it is not 100% the media's blame they are contributing. Are they the majority of the reason? No most likely not but to assume no blame on them seems a bit juvenile and short sighted. Just my two cents.

Mystifo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 09:41 AM
WeWantACup
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystifo View Post
I gave it a listen up to the point when I heard the phrase "Let's discuss the Lockout." Nothing against you or anything I just have heard so much about the Lockout from TSN. The Sun, THN, etc that I can't deal with any more. It is much like the Luongo thread in Trade Rumors it is a dead horse that we just keep beating. Not bad commentary on the whole "star player coming home.". My only problem is the disregard that the media has nothing to do with them returning. While I will admit it is not 100% the media's blame they are contributing. Are they the majority of the reason? No most likely not but to assume no blame on them seems a bit juvenile and short sighted. Just my two cents.
i agree with you lockout talk is something we really have made a conscious effort to stay away from but with Adam as a guest and all the good vibes happening Wednesday it was a question we needed to ask..

Our next show you might like we interviewed Con Smyths grand daughter, She is a true Leaf Fan

Old
12-07-2012, 10:51 AM
Mystifo
Malkin To Kulemin.

Quote:
i agree with you lockout talk is something we really have made a conscious effort to stay away from but with Adam as a guest and all the good vibes happening Wednesday it was a question we needed to ask..

Our next show you might like we interviewed Con Smyths grand daughter, She is a true Leaf Fan
I will keep an eye out. I always love a good hockey based podcast to listen to while I am driving.

Mystifo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 11:05 AM
Drew311
Catch The Taste

Quote:
It's pretty rare that 'big-time' players become UFAs before their twilight years anyway, and even rarer that they actually suit your team needs so perfectly that they're worth getting into a bidding war over.
Stamkos will be a UFA in 2016 and will still be in his prime years.

I don't think it is out of the realm of possibility that he signs with Toronto at that point considering he grew up a massive Leafs fans.
Although, the only chance this happens is if the Leafs are a contending team at this point in time and Tampa is not a playoff team.

If you can offer a hometown kid max money and a winning environment, I don't see much reason for him to turn it down. Especially if his current team's future is up in the air.

Drew311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 11:27 AM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
Stamkos will be a UFA in 2016 and will still be in his prime years.

I don't think it is out of the realm of possibility that he signs with Toronto at that point considering he grew up a massive Leafs fans.
Although, the only chance this happens is if the Leafs are a contending team at this point in time and Tampa is not a playoff team.

If you can offer a hometown kid max money and a winning environment, I don't see much reason for him to turn it down. Especially if his current team's future is up in the air.
Stamkos may be a UFA in 2016. He may resign before then.

And I guess I don't really get this home town and Leaf fan thing.

Let's say I'm a computer programmer from Seattle who's been a big fan of Microsoft products all my life, but out of university, the best job I can get is from Apple in Cupertino, CA and I end up enjoying the job and the sunnier weather. 10 years later, Microsoft offers me a job with a pay increase (but doing essentially the same thing) that I know Apple is going to match if I decide to stay. Realistically, how likely is it that I'm going to pack up and move back to Seattle?

And to be honest, I don't really think Tampa's future is going to be up in the air in the next four years, but I could be wrong.

rojac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 01:47 PM
BlueBaron

Lots of people would prefer to work close to their family, friends and the place they call home. But it is not quite that black and white. I doubt very much your family asks to come watch you work.

That is another factor, being a hockey player in a Canadian market is one of the highest forms of celebrity, Toronto and Montreal especially. Not only are there huge endorsement bucks to be had but the respect and adoration of the fans. It should be remembered when Clark got traded it cost him 6mil a year in endorsements. Considering that was ages ago what would Stamkos make ? 10-20 Mil ?

Stamkos if he became a Leaf would have to register as a religion because you can be sure Temples and shrines would be built. In Tampa he is behind football players, baseball players and is in a foriegn country.

This is not to say he might not prefer Tampa. Maybe his wife likes there (if he has one ?) , maybe his parents moved there, maybe he considers it home. He may not want the spotlight and pressure that would come with being a Leaf, only he really knows.

I think most players would like to one day play for their hometown team, but that is just one of numerous considerations they have to make for their career, their families and themselves.

BlueBaron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 02:03 PM
Deebo

I can't think of a hockey reporter who I dislike more than Adam Proteau.

He's biased hack and now you can add PA shill to that list.

Deebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 02:03 PM
Stephen

If Stamkos is one of the elite players in the game still in 2016, and is a 26 year old Torontonian coming back to a moderately contending club, I think the resultant starpower he generates in this town surpasses Gilmour and Sundin as number one centermen. That kind of status and income must be appealing.