HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tyler Biggs's discussion thread.

Old
12-05-2012, 09:32 PM
Interactif

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamal007 View Post
Yep, I recall Rocco speaking prior to the draft wanting to be a pastor after his hockey career.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 10:53 PM
Mystifo
No more Mr.FightGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Yep, I recall Rocco speaking prior to the draft wanting to be a pastor after his hockey career.
As a man who has little to no affiliation with my Church/Religion I have to say I respect the guy for coming out and saying what he did. My only problem as a hockey fan would be is this going to spiral out of control like a Bruins goalie.

Mystifo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 11:10 PM
Leafidelity
Compete Level

vCash: 1775
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
I don't think Broll has the offense to really fit that line. If we're going full optimist, I'd like to see a Leivo-Kadri-Biggs line. Leivo and Biggs can both bump, grind, and cycle, and along with Kadri they'll be drawing penalties like crazy while still chipping in some offense here and there.
I'd agree with this. I think Broll tops out on the 4th line. If I had to guess I'd bet the Leafs brass see him as an enforcer+. It would explain why he was selected along with Rielly as camp invites.

A pro enforcer is a fine 6th round pick.

Leafidelity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 11:45 PM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPunch View Post
I'd agree with this. I think Broll tops out on the 4th line. If I had to guess I'd bet the Leafs brass see him as an enforcer+. It would explain why he was selected along with Rielly as camp invites.

A pro enforcer is a fine 6th round pick.
Broll has an underrated skill set. He's a big bruiser, but he's also got a pretty good pair of hands. I think he's got 3rd line upside for that reason. He might be able to put up 10-15 goals in the NHL some day.

His skating leaves much to be desired which will always limit his effectiveness, and while he's likely a high end AHL'er or 4th liner, he's got a little bit more upside.

topched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 12:26 AM
JAMmer124
Independent Living

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
Broll has an underrated skill set. He's a big bruiser, but he's also got a pretty good pair of hands. I think he's got 3rd line upside for that reason. He might be able to put up 10-15 goals in the NHL some day.

His skating leaves much to be desired which will always limit his effectiveness, and while he's likely a high end AHL'er or 4th liner, he's got a little bit more upside.
Imagine a Broll-Devane winger set for the fourth line? That's a whole lotta physicality, and they're both good defensively as well.

JAMmer124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 04:42 PM
skacore

So far Devane has much better potential as an enforcer. He's a much better fighter and a decent enough player

skacore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 05:09 PM
Sterling31
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by skacore View Post
So far Devane has much better potential as an enforcer. He's a much better fighter and a decent enough player
Marlies need to start playing this guy.

What he brings is the only thing they lack. Scott should be sitting for guys like Devane and Ross. Scott doesn't seem to have a future with the leafs and is irrelevant to this team; kinda see the same with Acton (but they are playing him quite a bit on faceoffs)

Especially this Saturday, im sick of seeing Foligno's antics.

Sterling31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 07:38 PM
skacore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy8920 View Post
Marlies need to start playing this guy.

What he brings is the only thing they lack. Scott should be sitting for guys like Devane and Ross. Scott doesn't seem to have a future with the leafs and is irrelevant to this team; kinda see the same with Acton (but they are playing him quite a bit on faceoffs)

Especially this Saturday, im sick of seeing Foligno's antics.
this Marlies team NEEDS a guy like Devane, someone to handle biz... it's pretty sad a team under Burke is in this situation where a casual fighter in Fraser is our go to guy. It's the AHL for **** sakes.....during the lock out even. Our prospects are all physical, assertive players...they play better with CONFIDENCE....confidence is gained through comfort, and feeling safe.... sorry for the rant but it's true

skacore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 09:37 PM
Sterling31
YNWA

Quote:
this Marlies team NEEDS a guy like Devane, someone to handle biz... it's pretty sad a team under Burke is in this situation where a casual fighter in Fraser is our go to guy. It's the AHL for **** sakes.....during the lock out even. Our prospects are all physical, assertive players...they play better with CONFIDENCE....confidence is gained through comfort, and feeling safe.... sorry for the rant but it's true
Not a rant at all, when it is entirely true.

We have some gritty guys that shouldn't be scared to throw a big clean hit, without getting jumped. The bolded part is the most important thing that players like Devane add.

------

Back to Biggs, i hope and expect him to groom into someone who is just that. A player that makes his teammates comfortable and confident to play their game. Over the recent years , the Bruins have made our entire team uncomfortable; lets hope the future leafs builds some internal toughness to deal with it.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:50 PM
hullsy47

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post

saw broll tonite in windsor ...........biggs is better .....flat out better

hullsy47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 11:59 PM
Leafs For Life*
Nothing

So, what's Biggs looking like he'll turn out to be for NHL in your eyes, but with homer glasses off?

Leafs For Life* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 12:19 AM
Liminality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan16 View Post
So, what's Biggs looking like he'll turn out to be for NHL in your eyes, but with homer glasses off?
I'd say in the end he turns out to be a bruising 3rd line winger but one that is vital and ideal to win games with. It would be extremely nice for his offence to translate to the NHL but that's quite difficult and depends on who he plays with imo.

With my homer glasses on I can see his ceiling to be a Ryane Clowe type of player.

Liminality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 12:40 AM
Bernier the Boats
Formerly BBurke

Quote:
15 goal player is probably realistic. His skating makes me optimistic about him reaching his 20 goal, second line potential though.

Bernier the Boats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 09:10 AM
JAMmer124
Independent Living

Quote:
Originally Posted by hullsy47 View Post
saw broll tonite in windsor ...........biggs is better .....flat out better
Agreed. Biggs is much much better than Broll at this point, and will continue to be in the future. Broll, if he's an NHL player, is a 4th line bruiser.

JAMmer124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 09:11 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Third line PWF. He hits, he scores, he fights and protects.

12-07-2012, 09:12 AM
TheNorthFace
Mo and Willy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Third line PWF. He hits, he scores, he fights and protects.
This pretty much. A perfect third liner who will score 15-20 a year, hit, fight, and be a great leader.

TheNorthFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 10:35 AM
Dark Passenger

Quote:
Completely agree. I know the game is changing, but I'm worried we will see guys take runs and cheapshots at some of our best prospects like Kadri and Gardiner. Marlies could definitley use some toughness.

Also...I know Eakins' job is to try and get what he feels is the best lineup, as he has to hold true to the players, but this is a developmental league. I understand its vital to surround the youngsters with good professionals that they can learn from, but feel we have a bit too many veteran non-prospects who are taking ice time from youngsters like Ross, McKegg, Devane etc. The key is to strike a good balance, IMO.

Dark Passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 11:00 AM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamal007 View Post
Its a little weird but hes not entirely wrong

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 11:23 AM
The Blue Devil

Quote:
But what if I don't want to? These glasses are expensive and I don't want them to scratch.

As for the question, I don't see why he can't become a top 6 player. I love seeing how scared everyone is to say it. You don't have to put up massive points to be in the top 6, especailly the type of player Biggs is expected to be. A player with his size would be perfect for creating room for the smaller more creative guys on his line, plus his size would make it easy for him to retrieve and cycle pucks for his line as well as create a big net pressence.

The Blue Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 11:49 AM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blue Devil View Post
But what if I don't want to? These glasses are expensive and I don't want them to scratch.

As for the question, I don't see why he can't become a top 6 player. I love seeing how scared everyone is to say it. You don't have to put up massive points to be in the top 6, especailly the type of player Biggs is expected to be. A player with his size would be perfect for creating room for the smaller more creative guys on his line, plus his size would make it easy for him to retrieve and cycle pucks for his line as well as create a big net pressence.
He's in his draft +2 season and he's hovering around 1.0 PPG in the OHL. That doesn't bode fantastically well for his ability to be a top 6 forward in the NHL. At this point, you ideally want to be seeing Boone Jenner numbers.

7even is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 12:03 PM
Sterling31
YNWA

Quote:
He's in his draft +2 season and he's hovering around 1.0 PPG in the OHL. That doesn't bode fantastically well for his ability to be a top 6 forward in the NHL. At this point, you ideally want to be seeing Boone Jenner numbers.
Hard to say that when he is still adjusting to the league , teammates, coaching etc.

Had he played in Oshawa last year, i would not be surprised at all if he were putting up numbers similar to Boone's.

At this point we should be more then happy with his production and confidence the coaching staff has in him.

You can see a confidence in Jenners game that comes from being in the league for a few years. In Boone's draft year, i did not see the same player as i do now. Like most players, it will take a bit of time to get used to a league, I'm not worried with Tyler's progression. The Jrs. will likely add to his confidence, and a healthy run at the OHL playoffs, could give fans some exciting hockey.

Old
12-10-2012, 01:26 PM
Dark Passenger

I still dont like the idea we traded a 2nd to move up in order to secure both Biggs and Percy. Not much of a gap between the players picked 20 and down to give up that much. Now that we have seen both develop, can't say Ive changed my opinion.

Ive seen Biggs a number of times in Oshawa, and can sort of see what the Leafs were thinking when they took him, regardless of the trade. As of now, I would say he is pretty much in line with becoming a big 3rd line winger who can bang, drop the mits and pop in the odd goal. Worst case scenario, a bigger Mike Brown. He's shown a fairly steady level of improvement since season started, so there is always chnace he develops into a top six winger.

Dark Passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 01:41 PM
The Blue Devil

Quote:
Points aren't everything. Yes it's JR yada yada, but PWF's aren't relied upon to put up points, they're the ones that create the opportunities for their team-mates to score.

Also, if Tomas Holmstrom can find his way onto the top 6 of the best team over the last decade I don't see how it's unlikely that Biggs can't carve out a similar career path. I'm also not saying that Holmstrom is a bad player either because he's great at what he does: Big, physical net pressence and helps in retrieving the puck and creating a cycle. I'm also aware of how many goals/points he gets, which is where I ask 'do you know how he gets them'? He doesn't rush in, dangle the team and snipe it top cheddar, he gets them from right in front of the net whether it be a tip or a rebound. He gets a lot of these not only because his team-mates are good, but also because he gives them the space to do what they want.

Before anyone says anything, yes I do watch the Wings. I try and catch games at any opportunity that I can(streams, if they're on TSN etc).

The Blue Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 02:45 PM
Joey Hoser

Quote:
Being the physical specimen he is, if he were to also be pacing 90 or 100 points, he'd be one of the best prospects in all of hockey.

You're asking for a lot.

Joey Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 02:57 PM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Hoser View Post
Being the physical specimen he is, if he were to also be pacing 90 or 100 points, he'd be one of the best prospects in all of hockey.

You're asking for a lot.
Exactly.

And because of that Size and strength, being a pure scorer is never going to be Biggs' game. Jenner is slightly smaller, better skater and more offensive minded than Biggs is.

We've seen countless high scoring chl prospects who never found success at the NHL level. Angelo Esposito is a great example of that. Its important to look beyond the scoresheet in order to evaluate a prospect.

Thats why you see players like Lessio, Prince etc. getting drafted after Biggs etc. and players like Kassian and Wilson going in the top 15 picks.

topched is offline   Reply With Quote