HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

CBA Thread, Daniel Bryan Edition: The lockout is (tentatively) over!

Closed Thread

Old
12-06-2012, 09:08 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaylaJ View Post
I can agree with that. Wasn't sure which way you were going though since you were only bringing up the owners and the whole thing though

He's had a rough few days and may be an uphill battle from here on out:

Owner statements including Burkle
Yeah, I understand why you thought I was on the PA's side. I was only talking about the owners because some posters seemed to think that only the PA was to blame. I wanted to put things in perspective. Fehr's move of saying things were all good when he knew his proposal was gonna get rejected was a dick move. He tried to win the PR battle and, IMO, failed miserably.

Last edited by JordanStaal#1Fan: 12-06-2012 at 10:27 PM.
Old
12-06-2012, 09:13 PM
Randy Butternubs
Makin Bacon Pancakes

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Well... Big... That seems appropriate...

A toast of whiskey my fellow Kevin?

Old
12-06-2012, 09:17 PM
KaylaJ
Tungsten!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivek View Post
Damn those are some heated word from Russo. I give him credit for putting his name to it since his daily job involves dealing directly with the players. Everybody laying it on the line tonight.

Some big-time tweets from a very respected writer.
Keep in mind Fehr had to fly to MN to meet with some players about a month ago or so. Plus as Russo has mentioned over and over, the Wild's 3rd & 4th liner guys are losing their jobs right now to the kids in Houston. He may not have to deal with a lot of the same players if and when the season starts up again. Imagine standing by knowing a certain player/s can't do anything but watch as their dreams are being torn apart and for what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanStaal#1Fan View Post
Yeah, I understand why you thought I was on the PA's side. I was only talking about the owners because some posters seemed to think that only the PA was to blame. I wanted to put things in perspective. Fehr's move of saying things were all good when he knew his proposal was gonna get rejected was a dick move. I tried to win the PR battle and, IMO, failed miserably.
Yeah, I think he's had some rough days, but doing what he did today? I've seen some media guys who were normal before today get really cynical (Botta for one). I can't wait to see what his next plan is...other than telling players to get on twitter

Old
12-06-2012, 09:19 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunitz View Post
Well... Big... That seems appropriate...

A toast of whiskey my fellow Kevin?
Johnny Walker Black for this occasion. It seems appropriate.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
12-06-2012, 09:24 PM
Randy Butternubs
Makin Bacon Pancakes

Quote:
Johnny Walker Black for this occasion. It seems appropriate.
Best I've got is Gentleman Jack. Deal?

Old
12-06-2012, 09:26 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
I think people just don't want to admit that their beloved idles are actually greedy morons.
Yep. And worse people STILL saying they'll go right back and spend money. Get what you deserve, man. Everyone around here needs to sack up and whenever they come back, tell the players especially (at this point) to F-off, and no you're not getting our money. We'll watch for free on TV for the first year and that's it. Nice little plummeting revenue for you *******s to ponder next time you need to make a new CBA.

Quote:
The greed and self-importance on both sides is nothing short of sickening.
Takes two for sure and the NHL's initial offers were garbage and set a bad tone, but at this point, after this week, it's 100% on spineless players letting Fehr yank their collective chain at the last minute when a deal could've been done.

Fehr is a divisive **** and should've never been hired and at this point players should be able to see what's going on here. Fehr is a ****ing weasel. I don't believe a word out of his mouth at this point. TSN's videos show it all.

I bagged teh FB page at this point. **** this. Not worth one more second of my time. If it's not free or something I've spent my time on in the past, I'm not doing it WRT to the NHL. Not one penny or one more wasted "citizen fan" post.

Old
12-06-2012, 09:33 PM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
That was such an awesome episode. Long live Hamsterdam

Old
12-06-2012, 09:50 PM
Til the End of Time

at this point i dont really care much what happens. and since i no longer care, im actually almost enjoying watching this train wreck. part of me hopes this lockout persists and hockey continues to be the laughing-stock of the sports world, as it frankly deserve.

i'd protest my disgust by not giving the nhl any of my money, but i never did anyway.

Old
12-06-2012, 09:50 PM
SHOOTANDSCORE

First Twinkies and now this. **** it, I'm calling the Pinkertons.

Old
12-06-2012, 10:10 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt

It's weird... I started out mostly "neutral" in that I thought the entire ordeal was needless and being badly handled by both parties. Though I did lean more towards sympathizing with the players.

That has really, really changed quite a bit the last few weeks as the PA illustrates time and again that they don't even seem to know exactly what it is they even want. Oh, right... aside from "just wanting to play," of course. How could I forget... I mean... they're trying so hard!

And no... I'm not "falling" for the league's "ploys." I'm so sick of hearing that cop out. If either side is guilty of forced theater... it isn't the owners. I think the league, as slimy and big of bullies as they can be, actually do care more about getting the season back on track at this point. And that just seems like a really strange thing to say. You would think that the individuals who have actually built an entire existence around the sport would be the ones willing to give a little bit when things are so close to being done.

But no. It has to be more, more, more.

Part of me wants this to just keep on trucking along until a bunch of the dumber, more hardline players are all out in some alleyway in ripped, filthy suits hobo-fighting over a tattered fiver that constitutes the very last of the shattered league's revenues.

Old
12-06-2012, 10:10 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Old
12-06-2012, 10:17 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Well, Fehr is the anti-Christ. Everyone and their mother hates Bettman, but he's just a mouthpiece. Fehr seems to be the one controlling things for the PA. I'm not absolving Bettman, because he's a bit of an egomaniac, but Fehr is just as bad if not worse.

Old
12-06-2012, 10:32 PM
Dacks

Haven't been on this board in a long time, but I'm really shocked. How is everyone so pro-ownership?

It seems like everyone wants to see hockey so badly by this point that they just want the players to accept an offer, any offer. Last time I checked, the NHL, not NHLPA, refused an offer and walked away from the table.

End of the day, players are going to be accepting a loss in revenue share, a make whole provision that doesn't make whole, and new term contract lengths. What exactly are they getting back in return? And that's on top of giving up a salary cap and salary reduction last time around.

I know, I know, "They make millions, they should be grateful!" Yeah, they are also the most skilled people at what they do, beat out millions of others for the job, and are the most important component of an entertainment product that is worth billions of dollars.

I want to see hockey as much as the next person, but if my boss asked me to roll back my salary, and limit my potential contract terms (i.e. job security), just because he had the power to do so, I'd put up a fight too.

Old
12-06-2012, 10:34 PM
SHOOTANDSCORE

So, the owners demanded that the make whole provision be pulled off the table. Did they mean just the $300m offer or the entire provision? It seemed like they meant the entire provision.

Old
12-06-2012, 10:39 PM
KaylaJ
Tungsten!

I unfollowed and reported Walsh for spam, but if someone RT's what he says and includes their own words I still get some of it. This gem is great:

@walsha: Fact: NHL is the only major professional sport where players share room with teammate on the road.

Just goes to show you how those poor NHL players are treated...

Old
12-06-2012, 10:56 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Man... Russo is one of the more even keeled guys. I cannot believe he went off.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:07 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Man... Russo is one of the more even keeled guys. I cannot believe he went off.
totally. if Russo goes off, then you know...

Old
12-06-2012, 11:10 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Well, to be honest, Walsh was talking out of his ass. The guy really revealed himself to be a complete pompous ass.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:12 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Didn't waste my time reading or watching much today thankfully.

Is this entire spectacle over term?

Are both sides acting like children over a couple years on contract max terms and CBA length?

Hopefully it was something more than this that set off the fireworks... But given the stupidity all around, I won't be shocked.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:20 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
Didn't waste my time reading or watching much today thankfully.

Is this entire spectacle over term?

Are both sides acting like children over a couple years on contract max terms and CBA length?

Hopefully it was something more than this that set off the fireworks... But given the stupidity all around, I won't be shocked.
This! That's why I'm not buying any of the theatrics we've seen tonight. They're playing us and each other and it is getting old very fast. Thankfully, I have plenty of sport to watch/play, a bunch of friends, a great familly, a new girl to seduce and a master degree to finish. I want my Pens back, but I'm starting to care less and less about the whole thing. The WJC can't start soon enough.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:23 PM

The longer this goes on, the easier it is not to care. I'm a pretty big ****ing hockey fan, too. I will not buy Gamecenter for the foreseeable future, and I'm definitely not going to any games, buying merchandise, etc. What a joke this has become. It has been for a while, but this tops it all. I won't even go if I get free tickets. I'd rather walk up to the front doors of the arena and burn them.

Congrats on losing fans and support, NHL. Great job. Keep it up and you won't even have a league to ruin.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:43 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Tonight and this week.. I'm more of a fan of Lemieux and Burkle then I ever have been. I also will cheer Bettman. Tremendous work through all of Fehr's games.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:47 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanStaal#1Fan View Post
This! That's why I'm not buying any of the theatrics we've seen tonight. They're playing us and each other and it is getting old very fast. Thankfully, I have plenty of sport to watch/play, a bunch of friends, a great familly, a new girl to seduce and a master degree to finish. I want my Pens back, but I'm starting to care less and less about the whole thing. The WJC can't start soon enough.
That's exactly what it is and it's tiresome. Start acting like professionals. Both sides have me embarrassed to be such a loyal fan.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:58 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

It's so hard to not vilify Bettman, but man, that guy has a ****** job. He is literally the most reviled man in the sport, and all he's doing is his job. It's his job to do whatever the majority of the owners ask of him, and he's only really a mouthpiece for their cause. Fehr seems to ignore what the players are saying, and doing whatever the **** he wants. /shrug

Old
12-07-2012, 12:00 AM
OnMyOwn
Extremist

They seriously need to just fold. It's pathetic that everytime the cba is up you have a lockout.

I'm done with the nhl...and I'm about as hardcore as they come. Sad day for me indeed.

Closed Thread