HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lockout Thread: I told myself I wouldn't do this| Part IV

Closed Thread

Old
12-06-2012, 10:53 PM
BertCorbeau
The Sidebartender

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by calcal798 View Post
Its the two of them man. Bettman and Fehr. I have a feeling this should start working towards a deal. They had there little fight, they need to take a time out, and then they'll get back at it.

If they cancel a season for the sake of the differences they currently have it is pure stupidity.
I agree, both of them are ridiculous .. And I think the players have realized how much Fehr is making things difficult for them in these negotiations

IMO when this is all done, Fehr will be out of a job .. Hopefully the same can be said for Bettman

Old
12-06-2012, 10:56 PM
Ruski

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliolemieux View Post
I ran into Lou Franceschetti on a jobsite. He was working construction. Just another run of the mill Joe Lunchpail. Slugging material around like everyone else.

One year later I am watching him in a charity Leafs Alumni game as he skated circles around the local Fire Dept./EMS team.

HE was a scrub NHLer and yet miles ahead of the average Johnny Canuck.

The players do deserve money. I have no problem with 500K as the min for a guy being able to make the NHL for one season.

I do have issues with the minor league system. But that is another thread.

And I do agree with you that Kyper has just looked dumber every day. You have to cut him some slack though. Remember he does have brain damage.
Fair enough! and i am totally ok with the 500K mark also.

Its so sad though that Kyper and other players saying out there that the minimum is just not enough!

Both sides are making a complete ass out of themselves and i am very close to being done with this league for the immediate future!

Old
12-06-2012, 10:56 PM
madab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
If the Owners want 5 year max contracts then all they have to do is set internal policy and instruct their employees to only hand out offers to players accordingly because the buck stops at them for final approval.. Players only sign contracts they're first offered so this is totally in Team control what contracts are handed out and approved for payment.
How is that not collusion?

Old
12-06-2012, 11:00 PM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertCorbeau View Post
I agree, both of them are ridiculous .. And I think the players have realized how much Fehr is making things difficult for them in these negotiations

IMO when this is all done, Fehr will be out of a job .. Hopefully the same can be said for Bettman
Yep I think both will be. Bettman was awesome for growth. But you cant be letting the CBA negotiations get to a lockout everytime they happen. Thats just bad for a growing business.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:02 PM
BertCorbeau
The Sidebartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruski View Post

Its so sad though that Kyper and other players saying out there that the minimum is just not enough!

Both sides are making a complete ass out of themselves and i am very close to being done with this league for the immediate future!
Yeah I agree .. I'm thinking a large part of the new CBA should encompass the owners paying for financial planners for the players so they know how to wisely spend their income

Old
12-06-2012, 11:04 PM
Baarle*
Lähme looduses

vCash: 50
Not sure how anyone could blame the league at this point, it's all on the NHLPA and Fehr. Fehr's the one holding this up, however it's what he's getting paid to do, he's not necessarily in the wrong, but he is the one holding this back. He'd be an excellent politician, so full of ********

Old
12-06-2012, 11:06 PM
diceman934

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcal798 View Post
Yep I think both will be. Bettman was awesome for growth. But you cant be letting the CBA negotiations get to a lockout everytime they happen. Thats just bad for a growing business.
This is like a bad dream......same tactics different person at the helm of the players association.....it seems like the NHL goal is to stop the NHLPA from ever getting a stable leadership in place....making it look like it is Fehr fault.....same tactic as before.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:10 PM
Michael Gary Scott
Toronto Maple Tron's

My dad has worked at a salary of about 50-60k for about 25 years, which ends around 1.25-1.5 mill total. He's lived a more than adequate life being able to make good purchases and live an above average lifestyle taking 3 vacations a year. These guys are trying to tell us that 500,000 for one year isn't enough? These guys play what 4-5 years typically? Not to mention e minor league deals they get. And they can't live comfortably? Horse ****. Acting like a bunch of over privileged clowns if you ask me.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:14 PM
Baarle*
Lähme looduses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Gary Scott View Post
My dad has worked at a salary of about 50-60k for about 25 years, which ends around 1.25-1.5 mill total. He's lived a more than adequate life being able to make good purchases and live an above average lifestyle taking 3 vacations a year. These guys are trying to tell us that 500,000 for one year isn't enough? These guys play what 4-5 years typically? Not to mention e minor league deals they get. And they can't live comfortably? Horse ****. Acting like a bunch of over privileged clowns if you ask me.
You're missing the point. If you're dad was making 2.4 million a year and has been used to that for 25 years, and he's being asked to take a pay cut of 500k he's not just gonna accept that.

Just using your figures as an example btw

Old
12-06-2012, 11:24 PM
htpwn

Great article by Jesse Spector:

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nhl/stor...-hockey-strike

Old
12-06-2012, 11:29 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

vCash: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baarle View Post
You're missing the point. If you're dad was making 2.4 million a year and has been used to that for 25 years, and he's being asked to take a pay cut of 500k he's not just gonna accept that.

Just using your figures as an example btw
The problem is that if the player has already been making money for 25 years, he should be smart enough to save. I don't understand why people can say that they have to live a certain way because they have been for such a long time. You need to budget according to the money you have and how long you want to have money. Simple as that. If I'm a hockey player, I'm spending some money but you can bet your ass I'm saving a ton of money. It's no excuse. They are making millions. Save some.

12-06-2012, 11:31 PM
diceman934

Quote:
Originally Posted by htpwn View Post
Scary......the NHL tactic is to get rid of Fehr.....that is obvious.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:42 PM
4evaBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=411086

Sounds like the NHL was tampering.

Wanted the players to sign the contract without Fehr being involved. That's pretty disgusting.
Pretty sure I heard Bettman say that if the package deal was accepted (ie players agree to the 3 key issues), there would need to be some additional work done on pension, and other issues. There wouldn't have been anything signed without both sides lawyers' present.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:45 PM
meng666

Fehr really is getting heat because he is new. Here is a classic video from back when Bettman joined the league and brought a lockout a year after.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTodQ6Svo9A
the players hated him then and they hate him now. He treats them like **** and many of them have gone public to express their feelings.
Get rid of Bettman and fix the league. His methods are the same now as they were then. No tact or respect for the athletes that form his business.
And if you watch that video and you hate the players then PLEASE, just stop watching hockey, seriously.

Last edited by meng666: 12-06-2012 at 11:52 PM.
Old
12-06-2012, 11:57 PM
4evaBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by meng666 View Post
Fehr really is getting heat because he is new. Here is a classic video from back when Bettman joined the league and brought a lockout a year after.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTodQ6Svo9A
the players hated him then and they hate him now. He treats them like **** and many of them have gone public to express their feelings.
Get rid of Bettman and fix the league. His methods are the same now as they were then. No tact or respect for the atheletes that form his business.
And if you watch that video and you hate the players then PLEASE, just stop watching hockey, seriously.
Players suggesting that crazed fans may take actions into their own hands because the comish tries to fix a broken system is beyond dumb. Using 20/20 hindsight, Gretzky, and the other players whining in the video, have greatly benefited from the new financial model.

Old
12-07-2012, 12:00 AM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Gary Scott View Post
I think the argument is that these guys have been doing nothing but play hockey their entire life, and are therefore completely unprepared and unqualified for any work beyond manual labor and maybe sales.

Old
12-07-2012, 12:01 AM
4evaBlue

As a side note, I was a lot more impressed with Bettman's PC than Fehr's constant "I don't know"'s, and "We're not sure what's off the table. They told us we can contact them for clarification." crap. Seriously, this guy is supposed to be a professional?

Old
12-07-2012, 12:02 AM
meng666

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evaBlue View Post
Players suggesting that crazed fans may take actions into their own hands because the comish tries to fix a broken system is beyond dumb. Using 20/20 hindsight, Gretzky, and the other players whining in the video, have greatly benefited from the new financial model.
what? How so? Salary cap? How is Gary entirely responsible for the new financial model. Nice try.
the league is profiting but my point remains that he doesn't address the players in a respectful and compromising tone.

Old
12-07-2012, 12:03 AM
4evaBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
I think the argument is that these guys have been doing nothing but play hockey their entire life, and are therefore completely unprepared and unqualified for any work beyond manual labor and maybe sales.
There are many people who start 2nd, and 3rd careers at 40+, some even at 60+.

Old
12-07-2012, 12:09 AM
4evaBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by meng666 View Post
what? How so? Salary cap? How is Gary entirely responsible for the new financial model. Nice try.
"One person is kind of taking the bull by the horns..."

"One person wants to change the whole format"

Sound familiar?

Old
12-07-2012, 12:11 AM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by htpwn View Post
Yea thats a good read.

I wouldn't be surprised if they do start negotiationg around this deal. If its a deal where the money is good for both sides, Im sure the other parts can be figured out.

Bettman and Fehr both got there words in. Bettman had his little rant, now he is gonna think about it. Probably discuss it with owners and consider that they could finalize a CBA with this as the starting point, or just lockout the year and have something worse be the deal, or the chance of desertification (which is something the owners will not want). All the common sense would be to work out a deal with this instead of lose more money and continue to disappoint the fans.

Old
12-07-2012, 12:13 AM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruski View Post

If the minimum is not enough fine .

Lets raise the minimum to 2million per year.

And no other player is allowed to earn more than 5 million.

See how fast that divides the union. Might actually get Ovi and Evgeni to pay attention to what's going on. Speaking of them.. **** them. Letting others fight for their millions while they have fun in Russia.

Every player making more than 4 Million should be somehow involved in this. Any player making more than 7 Million should be standing in that freaking room.

Ehh Just sick of the whole thing.

Old
12-07-2012, 12:13 AM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

What's sad is that we were supposed to reach a deal Wednesday night, had Fehr not told the players to hold out some more. Burton's prophecy would've been fulfilled.

Old
12-07-2012, 12:15 AM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
There are many people who start 2nd, and 3rd careers at 40+, some even at 60+.
That's not really the point.

Old
12-07-2012, 12:16 AM
meng666

Quote:
"One person is kind of taking the bull by the horns..."

"One person wants to change the whole format"

Sound familiar?
yawn.
Anyways, Bettman's first offer to the players was a beyond comprehension slap in the face. They continually reject the players proposals within minutes. You antagonize the players like that and expect a lost season (they are for the most part millionaires after all and will play somewhere) .This will all be resolved at some point and hopefully the next commissioner doesn't always come with lockout guns a'blazin.

Closed Thread