HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Lockout Discussion Thread 3.0

Closed Thread

Old
12-06-2012, 09:55 PM
Craig71

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron Gaines View Post
Watching Fehr' presser, you could definitely see a disappointed Martin St-Louis in the background.
You and me both. He went through this before and knows whats coming.

Old
12-06-2012, 09:57 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig71 View Post
You and me both. He went through this before and knows whats coming.
The players won the last lockout though, including MSL.

The league's best offer before the season ended was a flat 42.5 million dollar payroll. It surpassed that in the second year of the CBA.

Old
12-06-2012, 10:00 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Olympic Champion

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
If the season blows up on this note, it's going to feel really strange cheering for Cole and more or less for Gorges as well. How could the org give captaincy to Gorges after a blow up like that? Remember that in Montreal, the Captain is chosen as a representative of the team first. He's not voted in.

And Cole... well I guess he should retire
I am convinced those guys fully believe Molson is as much of a ''dove'' as you can be on the owner side and pretty much expect everything will be normal once we resume as a result.

Old
12-06-2012, 10:04 PM
Craig71

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
The players won the last lockout though, including MSL.

The league's best offer before the season ended was a flat 42.5 million dollar payroll. It surpassed that in the second year of the CBA.
Maybe this time around things will be different. It will be interesting to see who bends first.

Old
12-06-2012, 10:24 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Olympic Champion

https://twitter.com/BrandonPrust8/st...04629030252545

Brandon Prust ‏@BrandonPrust8
I'm done caring.. We keep moving and giving.. This 1 way street sucks

Well then, retire.

Old
12-06-2012, 10:28 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
https://twitter.com/BrandonPrust8/st...04629030252545

Brandon Prust ‏@BrandonPrust8
I'm done caring.. We keep moving and giving.. This 1 way street sucks

Well then, retire.
LMAO

I wont say what I think about Prust after all his comments regarding the NHL, but yikess...

Old
12-06-2012, 10:32 PM
CN_paladin

According to a HF Kelowna poster: "co-worker pulled him (Gorges)over for speeding and he said 'do you know who i am?"...co-worker said, oh good, you should have no problem paying the ticket then..."

Old
12-06-2012, 10:59 PM
McSorleyStick
El Pistolero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CN_paladin View Post
According to a HF Kelowna poster: "co-worker pulled him (Gorges)over for speeding and he said 'do you know who i am?"...co-worker said, oh good, you should have no problem paying the ticket then..."
well if this s itrue then **** Gorges

If not then I just got trolled lol

Old
12-06-2012, 11:07 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Canada's Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron Gaines View Post
LMAO

I wont say what I think about Prust after all his comments regarding the NHL, but yikess...
I'm plugging my ears when it comes to prust. I was on the Prust (and cole!) bandwagons on their respective ufa days. I can't hate habs. Not unless they're named gomez or samsonov or something like that. So I'm going to hate the ones reporting their stupid ****ing comments.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
Old
12-06-2012, 11:13 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsn.ca
Bill Daly also addressed the media following Bettman and said five-year player contract limits were hugely important to NHL, as is a 10-year CBA term.

He also said term limit on player contracts is so important to league it's "the hill we'll die on."
Really? After bringing the players' share down to 50% and agreeing on make whole, how is a factor that has zero impact on division of HRR "the hill we'll die on"? I don't buy this. For all the huffing and puffing, I ultimately don't think this is what kills the season. I think a deal still gets made.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:17 PM
CN_paladin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
Really? After bringing the players' share down to 50% and agreeing on make whole, how is a factor that has zero impact on division of HRR "the hill we'll die on"? I don't buy this. For all the huffing and puffing, I ultimately don't think this is what kills the season. I think a deal still gets made.
Really man. The owners just showed the players they meant everything they said by pulling out the 300 M.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:18 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Canada's Mod

Quote:
Really man. The owners just showed the players they meant everything they said by pulling out the 300 M.
To be fair, what is said and what is true in negotiations like these are not necessarily one and the same.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:20 PM
Reiher

Quote:
Yeah, and I'm sure that what Bob McKenzie said about the players filing for decertification I'm sure is going to be the next step if that truly is the case.

However I think that I'm leaning towards your line of thinking, season is likely toast which sucks for the Habs.... and myself who enjoys watching some damn hockey

Old
12-06-2012, 11:20 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Olympic Champion

Quote:
Which at one point was pretty much 1/3 of that figure and that was ''their best offer''...

The posturing going on is something else. I suspect they would be willing to budge on term of contracts in the right deal...but with that said, the NBA currently has a 4 year limit (5 for a FA from your own team), so I can see why the NHL is so gung ho about it.

And I suspect that a good chunk of the PA has absolutely zero issue with a 5 year term limit...

Old
12-06-2012, 11:24 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Canada's Mod

Quote:
Which at one point was pretty much 1/3 of that figure and that was ''their best offer''...

The posturing going on is something else. I suspect they would be willing to budge on term of contracts in the right deal...but with that said, the NBA currently has a 4 year limit (5 for a FA from your own team), so I can see why the NHL is so gung ho about it.

And I suspect that a good chunk of the PA has absolutely zero issue with a 5 year term limit...
I was trying to name off the habs contracts that were more than 5 years long in the last few years and I was having a very hard time coming up with any that weren't made in the last year.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:24 PM
Roulin

Quote:
I don't see it. Blowing a season over contract term lengths when you already have a favorable cost certainty figure over those contracts has got to be posturing.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:42 PM
CN_paladin

Quote:
I don't see it. Blowing a season over contract term lengths when you already have a favorable cost certainty figure over those contracts has got to be posturing.
So those seasoned and successful owners will come back crawling to appease Don the Butcher with a 300M dollar cheque on a silver plater???

Losing hockey for one year isn't as bad as losing credibility and reputation in their main businesses.

Therefore, it's still up to the PA to make the first move so the moderate owners can save the season.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:45 PM
Roulin

Quote:
So those seasoned and successful owners will come back crawling to appease Don the Butcher with a 300M dollar cheque on a silver plater???

Losing hockey for one year isn't as bad as losing credibility and reputation in their main businesses.

Therefore, it's still up to the PA to make the first move so the moderate owners can save the season.
I consider myself pretty cynical about the NHL BOG, but even I can't imagine that's what this lockout is really about.

Old
12-07-2012, 12:02 AM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

vCash: 50
Don't get mad at the players for their ignorant comments for two reasons.
#1. They should never have been allowed to speak in the first place. A gag order should have been in place
#2. We aren't talking about the smartest people in the world. They are far from scholars and gentlemen.

You know who comes out of all this smelling like a rose?? PK!!! If only all of the players could have taken advantage of the lockout like he did. He's a star in this league like no other.

Old
12-07-2012, 12:12 AM
Habs

Quote:

The NHL wants what the NBA and NFL have, for the most part. Seems reasonable.

Old
12-07-2012, 12:22 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post
Don't get mad at the players for their ignorant comments for two reasons.
#1. They should never have been allowed to speak in the first place. A gag order should have been in place
#2. We aren't talking about the smartest people in the world. They are far from scholars and gentlemen.

You know who comes out of all this smelling like a rose?? PK!!! If only all of the players could have taken advantage of the lockout like he did. He's a star in this league like no other.
I mean I'd rather see him play in Europe than go around playing celebrity, but you can't fault him for doing his own thing, and credit to him for not saying a thing about this circus. The joel thing still annoys me though.

Price has done a good job avoiding this too. As far as I know those two are the only Habs with twitter accounts who avoided getting involved.

Old
12-07-2012, 12:26 AM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
I mean I'd rather see him play in Europe than go around playing celebrity, but you can't fault him for doing his own thing, and credit to him for not saying a thing about this circus. The joel thing still annoys me though.

Price has done a good job avoiding this too. As far as I know those two are the only Habs with twitter accounts who avoided getting involved.
Patches hasn't said much from what I can recall.

Bugs me that two guys in Campoli and Darche are so deep in these talks when it's likely neither of them will ever play another game in the NHL.

Old
12-07-2012, 12:30 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Surprised to see so much blame being assigned to the players here. This is Bettman's third work stoppage... seems to happen every time.

This lockout was unnecessary. I don't see how these groups couldn't have gotten this done a long time ago and I blame Bettman in large part for this. He creates an adversarial atmosphere that is win at all costs. He wins the battle and loses the war...

I have no idea who's more responsible for this in 2012. During the last strike I guess I sided more with the owners but this time around? Come on man, they got the cap and they signed the contracts... now they want to essentially tear them up.

I mean what the hell was the point of the last stoppage if the league is just going to ignore contracts that they've already written? If I was a player I'd be seriously pissed about that.

Anyways, I don't have a horse in this race. I think they're all acting like a bunch of dummies. But if I had to blame a side, I'd blame Bettman. He needs to stop with the hardass routine and realize that work stoppages shouldn't be the strategy of choice every time a contract comes up. Totally unnecessary and Bettman really should take a lot (if not most) of the blame here.

Old
12-07-2012, 12:50 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
It doesn't cost the owners a single dime to have long contracts.

Every time one player is overpaid, another player is underpaid.

I think this is just a ruse on the part of owner, as they have no reason to be against long contracts. They are playing politics of some sort.

They may be thinking that if fewer players get long contracts, the union will be weaker come next lockout.

Old
12-07-2012, 12:55 AM
CN_paladin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Surprised to see so much blame being assigned to the players here. This is Bettman's third work stoppage... seems to happen every time.

This lockout was unnecessary. I don't see how these groups couldn't have gotten this done a long time ago and I blame Bettman in large part for this. He creates an adversarial atmosphere that is win at all costs. He wins the battle and loses the war...

I have no idea who's more responsible for this in 2012. During the last strike I guess I sided more with the owners but this time around? Come on man, they got the cap and they signed the contracts... now they want to essentially tear them up.

I mean what the hell was the point of the last stoppage if the league is just going to ignore contracts that they've already written? If I was a player I'd be seriously pissed about that.

Anyways, I don't have a horse in this race. I think they're all acting like a bunch of dummies. But if I had to blame a side, I'd blame Bettman. He needs to stop with the hardass routine and realize that work stoppages shouldn't be the strategy of choice every time a contract comes up. Totally unnecessary and Bettman really should take a lot (if not most) of the blame here.
It's Fehr's 8th work stoppage. Your point?

So ironic to see a local with the Expos in the avatar come to Fehr's defence.

Last edited by CN_paladin: 12-07-2012 at 01:05 AM.
Closed Thread