HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Speculation: Gary Bettman's future

Old
12-06-2012, 08:57 PM
Tom Servo
Space Truckin'

vCash: 280
What a jerkbag Bettman is forcing the poor players to take over half of 3.5 billion, it's like he's Hitler or something.

Tom Servo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 09:12 PM
Riptide

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by colchar View Post
I wonder if any of them have figured out yet that it is unreasonable to sign players to contracts and then turn around 24hrs later and say that they will not be honoring those contracts in their entirety?
They offered a mechanize that would have seen every contract paid out in full.

"Its not as if Donald Fehr was lying to us, several players said. Rather, its as if he has been economical with information, these players believe, not sharing facts these players consider to be vital."
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 09:14 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by DespoticNewt View Post
The only people that are making more money across the board are the players.
The owners are all making more money - Revenue is up. If you're referring to profits, the league (as a whole) in 2004 was in the negative. Last season was around 250m in profits.

That said, there does need to be changes.

Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 09:34 PM
Conflicted Habs fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by flameaholic View Post
Any chance we'll soon be seeing the end of Gary Bettman? Negotiations seemed to pick up this week once Gary Bettman was removed from the bargaining table. He's universally despised by fans, media, players, and probably the majority of owners alike. His tenure as commissioner has been marked both by controversy and constant work stoppages. Bottom line: he's been a failure.

Any chance we could soon be seeing the end of Gary Bettman as National Hockey League commissioner?
I certainly hope so.

Conflicted Habs fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 11:08 PM
Xref

Get rid of Bettman? Because Fehr refuses to negotiate and accept a deal? Yeah, that makes perfect sense. Oh my.

Xref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 11:12 PM
Conflicted Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xref View Post
Get rid of Bettman? Because Fehr refuses to negotiate and accept a deal? Yeah, that makes perfect sense. Oh my.
From what was stated at the presser it was Bettman who refuses to negotiate and accept a deal

Conflicted Habs fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 11:33 PM
Up the Irons

vCash: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
Gary Bettman suggested the meetings without him and Don Fehr. If anything, that tells me that Fehr was the problem, and that GB was man enough to recognize that stepping aside was the only way to get Fehr away from the table, too.
Yt
The owners unanimously voted for both this lockout and the one before (I don't remember 1994). Gary Bettman has presided over 3 work stoppages, but I fail to see how they would have been any less likely with a different commissioner. In 2004, the system was broken and it took taking a year away from players to even get a cap. A different commissioner was not going to get it done in less. This time GB wanted to negotiate back in 2011, and the players refused to even come to the table until August. At that point, what is he supposed to do? Take any offer they give him lying down to get back on the ice by the 15th? I really think the commissioner has profoundly little to do with a lockout v no lockout. He's a representative.

Gary Bettman has introduced institutions like the Winter Classic, HBO 24/7, and more importantly, grown HRR at an historic pace.

He made a bad gamble in Phoenix, but if you think Southern/Western expansion was a bad idea overall, I strongly disagree. His mandate has been to increase league popularity to a point where he can compete with the other 3 major sports, get a TV deal, and there's no way you do that with 14 US teams in the Northeast. Period. Maybe you personally like original 6 hockey better, but that's not his mandate. Not even close.

Here's an honest question: what has Gary Bettman himself done that you dislike? Try to be specific and focus on things Gary Bettman personally did, not just, this lockout sucks so Bettman is to blame.
He has cultivated the most adversarial and dysfunctional relationship with the PA imaginable. Just as the Versaille Treaty caused the rise of Hitler, the 04 lockout made the union hire Fehr. Rightly or wrongly, Betman makes the PA lose their minds. Failure

His strategy is always "let's torch our cities and they will starve first.". But this galvanized the PA by making it an allout war. No way this should have gone on this long. Failure.

he is a terrible face for the league. His condescending, arrogant, elitist, demeanor makes him easily
disliked. Perhaps unfair, but true.

Last edited by Up the Irons: 12-06-2012 at 11:42 PM.
Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 11:46 PM
Up the Irons

vCash: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustE View Post
He has cultivated the most adversarial and dysfunctional relationship with the PA imaginable. Just as the Versaille Treaty caused the rise of Hitler, the 04 lockout made the union hire Fehr. Rightly or wrongly, Betman makes the PA lose their minds. Failure

His strategy is always "let's torch our cities and they will starve first.". But this galvanized the PA by making it an allout war. No way this should have gone on this long. Failure.

he is a terrible face for the league. His condescending, arrogant, elitist, demeanor makes him easily
And to add the most obvious point, he has failed to keep the game on ice, which is his ultimate mandate. If he gets the credit for growth, then he gets the blame for this monstrousity of a league that now sees a lost season, not as a one-off tragedy, but as 'part of the process'. Failure

Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 11:56 PM
Orrthebest

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustE View Post

Google Paul Kelly former NHLPA head. The man was fired because he had a good relationship with Bettman.

Orrthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 12:15 AM
Xref

How many different PA leaders have there been over the past 20 years?

Old
12-07-2012, 12:17 AM
Xref

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conflicted Habs fan View Post
From what was stated at the presser it was Bettman who refuses to negotiate and accept a deal
Which presser? Sounds to me like the Owners negotiated plenty, while standing firm on 3 things; player contract lengths, 50/50 split of HRR, and a long-term deal.

Old
12-07-2012, 12:39 AM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

I would think Bettman's time is running out. As is Fehr's.

Removing both would probably do a lot to make things a lot less toxic.

Last edited by Calculon: 12-07-2012 at 02:05 AM.
Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 12:52 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xref View Post
How many different PA leaders have there been over the past 20 years?
I believe the answer is 5 if you include interim Executive Director Ted Saskin. All of them deposed in one way
or another with the exception of Fehr, who to me appears to be heading into the bottom of the 8th, behind.

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 12:55 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

I think as part of the negotiations and goodwill, Bettman should move aside. I mean if Goddell gets crap thrown at him, why does Bettman get a pass?

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 01:42 AM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
I think as part of the negotiations and goodwill, Bettman should move aside. I mean if Goddell gets crap thrown at him, why does Bettman get a pass?
I don't think you understand how these negotiations work.

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 01:52 AM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
People are forgetting that Bettman is also negotiating with 30 very rich and powerful men that are used to getting what they want. The NHLPA isn't the only thing Bettman is trying to make happy.

Bettman invited the moderate owners to negotiate a deal directly with NHLPA and the owners thought they had a deal ready to be voted on and the players just ignored it and came back with new demands, that just put all of the owners right behind Bettman.

Fehr just gave Bettman even more power over the owners. When the owner that stands to lose the most revenue and profit leaves the negotiations upset, the NHLPA should be very worried. The NHLPA needs Toronto on their side to have a shot at getting what they want and they may have lost them.

The majority of the owners will handle the $250-300 million lost profit to get out of $1.8 billion worth of salary. The make whole will go away and the owners will save $300 million out of pocket. Makes up for most of the lost profit.

Can't wait for the "disclaimer" vote by the NHLPA. When they lose in court (over the legality of the lockout), then we will really see what kind of offers they get from the NHL.
This is precisely what has me baffled with the NHLPA's stance, whatever that may. They have just turned the most profitable team in hockey against them to the point of outrage, and they somehow believe he and the remaining owners will come crawling back. Nevertheless, after tonight I firmly believe Bettman's job security has never been stronger. Now even the moderates view the PA with a certain level of disdain.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 01:55 AM
Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
What a jerkbag Bettman is forcing the poor players to take over half of 3.5 billion, it's like he's Hitler or something.
These types of comments should be banned. Seriously, they add absolutely nothing of value to the conversation, and have been around since.. I dunno.. forever.

You want to complain about the players making a ton of money? Fine. But the "Business of Hockey" forum is not the place to do it.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 01:59 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
I don't think you understand how these negotiations work.
Like Fehr, Bettman leaves at the end of it :p That would be best for the entire sport and next CBA start with two new fresh reps.

Old
12-07-2012, 02:11 AM
HockeyShack

vCash: 170
Quote:
Like Fehr, Bettman leaves at the end of it :p That would be best for the entire sport and next CBA start with two new fresh reps.
I don't agree with you, unless you can prove what he's saying is a lie. But I don't see player tweets saying Bettman is lying.

HockeyShack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 02:13 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
These types of comments should be banned. Seriously, they add absolutely nothing of value to the conversation, and have been around since.. I dunno.. forever.

You want to complain about the players making a ton of money? Fine. But the "Business of Hockey" forum is not the place to do it.
But it is the place to cry about how the poor players are being picked on?

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 02:19 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyShack View Post
I don't agree with you, unless you can prove what he's saying is a lie. But I don't see player tweets saying Bettman is lying.
Three lockouts. That's all there is to say. I think as fans, removing Bettman would go a long way to smoothing out the anger over the fact that there has been two lockouts in 7 years.

Old
12-07-2012, 02:43 AM
HockeyShack

vCash: 170
Quote:
Three lockouts. That's all there is to say. I think as fans, removing Bettman would go a long way to smoothing out the anger over the fact that there has been two lockouts in 7 years.
I'm a fan, I don't mind him there. I see first hand how the game has grown. You might say any idiot could have grown the game. But he has.

What other choice does he have but to lockout? If he hadn't we'd be playing hockey now, and then in March/April we'd have a Strike. Would you be ok with that?

If it was your company, would you keep losing money?.

The players side was not willing to negotiate until August. I've yet to see anything that says otherwise.

HockeyShack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 04:12 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyShack View Post
What other choice does he have but to lockout? If he hadn't we'd be playing hockey now, and then in March/April we'd have a Strike. Would you be ok with that?
The issue is, what was wrong with the previous CBA? Why didn't they fix the issues that anyone could see coming in the last CBA in the last CBA?

Old
12-07-2012, 04:46 AM
Scheme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post

Scheme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 05:04 AM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
But it is the place to cry about how the poor players are being picked on?
Not to mention the poor owners with their record 3.5 billion a year business, wanting even more.

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote