HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Off-Season Madness the 9th: Tom Cheek Memorial Edition

Closed Thread

Old
12-06-2012, 10:38 PM
Leafssss

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
We are very weak in positional prospects as it is and Gose could become a huge part of this team going forward. I'd like to add Dickey but not at that price. Plain and simple. It's very short sighted IMO and I consider Gose part of those prospects that shouldn't be moved unless it's for something special. I don't think Dickey is worth it especially with all the pieces you suggest.
Well I think he is. Having Colby at that position for the near future, DJ Davis developing as an OFer, an upcoming draft filled with many promising OFers, and the fact that it's probably easier to replace an OFer than it is to get a top of the rotation pitcher in FA makes me believe that it would be worth it.

Old
12-06-2012, 10:43 PM
Brody
$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliolemieux View Post
I'm kind of willing to give him a bit of a pass for last year. There was the whole blow up with Valentine or whatever the heck happened there. I don't know if he ever got on track.

But 12M?

Tell him We're the NEW YAnkees and he should take a paycut to play with a winner.

I did hear last night as AA was basically calling the winter meeting a waste of his time, that since the big moves he has had a lot of calls from agents about players coming here.

That could be the nicest ting I've heard someone say about a Toronto franchise in years. Players actually want to come here. Getting excited.

Ofcourse with AA if you hear a rumour it isn't true. So we can only speculate who he was talking about. It was still good to hear.

Old
12-06-2012, 10:45 PM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafssss View Post
Well I think he is. Having Colby at that position for the near future, DJ Davis developing as an OFer, an upcoming draft filled with many promising OFers, and the fact that it's probably easier to replace an OFer than it is to get a top of the rotation pitcher in FA makes me believe that it would be worth it.

Don't really see that as a move that AA would do. Considering Gose is probably aleardy better at some aspects in the OF then Colby, and a bigger base threat makes me doubt it even more.

Old
12-06-2012, 10:46 PM
Leafssss

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcal798 View Post
Don't really see that as a move that AA would do. Considering Gose is probably aleardy better at some aspects in the OF then Colby, and a bigger base threat makes me doubt it even more.
That's also a reason that makes me think Colby may be seen as expendable in AA's eyes, but I do believe that teams would prefer Gose.

Old
12-06-2012, 10:50 PM
BertCorbeau
Oh Mr Peeenguin...

I'd be ok with a trade for Dickey for a highly regarded prospect if I knew this team was a legitimate proven contender .. The Jays are only a playoff team on paper, but there are lots of questions around the core of this team that need to be answered. There are still young players on this team that need to establish themselves are good contributors, and we're counting on growth from Rasmus, Lawrie, etc.. Can EE have another big year? Can Romero rebound? And mostly importantly, can this group stay healthy? There are some injury prone players on the team that we're counting on to stay healthy to make the Jays contenders

Old
12-06-2012, 10:53 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
I did hear last night as AA was basically calling the winter meeting a waste of his time, that since the big moves he has had a lot of calls from agents about players coming here.
It wouldn't have been a total waste for him. We have some exclusive footage of Anthopoulos on the Nashville streets outside the hotel:

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."
'14-15 Sharks CI Tracker: 7 GP, 1-4-2 (home-away-Nat'l/In-Region)
Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
12-06-2012, 11:14 PM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
Or in 3 years if we didn't win it all people would be all over how AA should be fired because he burnt all our elite prospects on old men that couldn't perform anymore. I'd rather be in contention for 10 years over a bit of a better chance of winning this year and maybe two more.
I think it's premature to throw things like "10 years of contention" and "dynasty" around...this is Toronto after all

Old
12-06-2012, 11:14 PM
Everlong
-

If you want a good laugh, check out Greg Zaun's latest video on sportsnet. No he's not bashing prospects . He goes to train with the Mississauga Steelheads OHL team as their practice goalie. I thought that one video of Zaun and Kipper was a one time thing. Apparently he's taken up goaltending as a hobby and is taking it pretty seriously.....still sucks though.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:18 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
That's also a reason that makes me think Colby may be seen as expendable in AA's eyes, but I do believe that teams would prefer Gose.
And Fast. I remember I called the wife into the living room one time just to watch him run from 1st to home on a single.

His hitting concerns me, but speed on the bases tends to make pitchers miss a little bit and that is all Jose and Edwin need to make a pitcher pay.

If Gose could show he can hit well enough to follow Reyes at the top of the order Colby would be gone faster then Gose can run to first.

I say that just because that speed is wasted if you have to put him at the bottom of the order becaue he only hits .235. In that case you might as well keep the guy who can hit 25 HR.

It's the thought of Reyes and Gose on base at the same time... woo boy, a friggin bunt could score a run from 2nd.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:20 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
It wouldn't have been a total waste for him. We have some exclusive footage of Anthopoulos on the Nashville streets outside the hotel:

Well Not sure about the hair cut but he's about the right height.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:22 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
If you want a good laugh, check out Greg Zaun's latest video on sportsnet. No he's not bashing prospects . He goes to train with the Mississauga Steelheads OHL team as their practice goalie. I thought that one video of Zaun and Kipper was a one time thing. Apparently he's taken up goaltending as a hobby and is taking it pretty seriously.....still sucks though.
He looks like he's gonna die.

NOt as easy as you thought eh Greggy?

Old
12-06-2012, 11:26 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

ONe more thing on Colby Gose.

Anyone else notice they didn't seem to play well together in the outfield?

They came together a few times. Lucky no one was hurt.

Both definitely seem like center fielders who want to run the outfield.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:27 PM
weems

Quote:
And Fast. I remember I called the wife into the living room one time just to watch him run from 1st to home on a single.

His hitting concerns me, but speed on the bases tends to make pitchers miss a little bit and that is all Jose and Edwin need to make a pitcher pay.

If Gose could show he can hit well enough to follow Reyes at the top of the order Colby would be gone faster then Gose can run to first.

I say that just because that speed is wasted if you have to put him at the bottom of the order becaue he only hits .235. In that case you might as well keep the guy who can hit 25 HR.

It's the thought of Reyes and Gose on base at the same time... woo boy, a friggin bunt could score a run from 2nd.
The thing I like most about Gose is that hes a absolute sponge and from all reports very coachable. This is why Im not as concerned about his hitting as some and think with time and experiance he will eventually turn into a quality hitter. The fact he struggles his first stint, then talked with Motolla and changed up his approach/stance etc and hit better shows me that hes not only able to take in critical information but has the skills to make quick adjustments. I know many people look at his K rates in the minors or the batting avg (which arent even that bad) and think he wont be very good but many scouts including the Jays think the bat will eventually come around and they see these guys way more behind the scenes and what they are good at and capable of.

The good thing about Gose is that even tho his bat looks like a question mark at this point hes shown a propensity to walk at a pretty good rate and that bodes well for his future.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:34 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
He looks like he's gonna die.

NOt as easy as you thought eh Greggy?
yeah, he was gassed by the end. They had that audio of him borderline hyperventilating on the ice and I started laughing. I also think that him laying on teh bench wasn't totally scripted, he really was that dead tired.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:44 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
yeah, he was gassed by the end. They had that audio of him borderline hyperventilating on the ice and I started laughing. I also think that him laying on teh bench wasn't totally scripted, he really was that dead tired.
I thought he was all buff and in shape?

NO counting the psychological toll. I remeber watching the other team carry and pass the puck around our zone, or if a guy got breakaway....

It's like having 30 adrenaline rushes in 2 hours. There's a reason NHL goalies are thought of as being nuttier than Squirrel turds.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:53 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
I thought he was all buff and in shape?

NO counting the psychological toll. I remeber watching the other team carry and pass the puck around our zone, or if a guy got breakaway....

It's like having 30 adrenaline rushes in 2 hours. There's a reason NHL goalies are thought of as being nuttier than Squirrel turds.
he was wiping the sweat from his brow just getting geared up. I think that all his post-baseball time spent partying and hanging out in bars is catching up with him.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:54 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by weems View Post
The thing I like most about Gose is that hes a absolute sponge and from all reports very coachable. This is why Im not as concerned about his hitting as some and think with time and experiance he will eventually turn into a quality hitter. The fact he struggles his first stint, then talked with Motolla and changed up his approach/stance etc and hit better shows me that hes not only able to take in critical information but has the skills to make quick adjustments. I know many people look at his K rates in the minors or the batting avg (which arent even that bad) and think he wont be very good but many scouts including the Jays think the bat will eventually come around and they see these guys way more behind the scenes and what they are good at and capable of.

The good thing about Gose is that even tho his bat looks like a question mark at this point hes shown a propensity to walk at a pretty good rate and that bodes well for his future.
Agreed. I guess we really shouldn't worry HOW he gets on base as long as he gets there.

If he could ever get to a .280 he would make an incredible 1-2 punch with Reyes.

With a (hypothetical) top 4 of Reyes, Gomes(hitting .280), Bautista, Encarnacion, just how many times would we be leading 2-0 or better in the 1st after these guy are done?

One on base. One Homerun. Seems so simple sitting here in December doesn't it?

Old
12-06-2012, 11:55 PM
TheKule

I'm confident Gose's offensive number will improve. He's shown throughout his time in the minors that his eye is quite good, and when he debuted he wasn't chasing much outside of the strike zone, his swinging strike% was more than tolerable. The issue is the quality of contact he's making, if he can reintroduce some of the elements that made his 11' swing so powerful, we'll have a beast on our hands. If I recall Mottola changed his hands and widened his stance at the start of 12' and while it slashed his K% dramatically, his power fell off. It'll be a struggle to find a balance, but I trust the guy's athleticism and talent, and I trust this development staff.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:58 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
he was wiping the sweat from his brow just getting geared up. I think that all his post-baseball time spent partying and hanging out in bars is catching up with him.
He should have spent more time dancing wiht the ladies and he'd be in shape.

Old
12-07-2012, 04:02 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by weems View Post
It would suck to trade Gose, then have Rasmus flop and go from having 3 potential above average CF'ers in Rasmus, Gose and Marisnick to 0.

DJ Davis. He's at least 3 years away though.

Old
12-07-2012, 06:02 AM
jcollins
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody View Post
Rasmus can play LF if Melky isn't the same anymore, this also allows Gose to play CF.

What were people saying about Bautista? I don't like the idea of moving Joey Bats to 1B/DH one bit.
Why? Because his defense is THAT good?

Old
12-07-2012, 06:03 AM
jcollins
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorntonfan97 View Post
So we signed this Claudio Vargas guy, I don't really remember him much all I know is I'm pretty sure he retired in 2011
Good AAA depth signing.

Old
12-07-2012, 09:09 AM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
DJ Davis. He's at least 3 years away though.
Gose was drafted 4 years ago. Davis is a similar prospect, and if anything is considered to be more raw than Gose was.

I read recently from a scout who ranked the prospects in our org that he's likely a 5 year project.

Old
12-07-2012, 09:50 AM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:

I think your right that they'd be more inclined to move Rasmus over Gose but that isn't likely to happen this year. DJ Davis is very far away and anyone drafted this year could take 5 to 6 years to develop unless they grab a college kid. They do have some nice OF prospects but they are very far away and right now Gose is our only prospect that's close in they system and that added depth is important. Not saying your wrong we just see it differently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokil View Post
I think it's premature to throw things like "10 years of contention" and "dynasty" around...this is Toronto after all
well considering I responded to a post that said they'd rather be a serious threat for 3 years over contention for 10 I don't think it's premature. Where you got "dynasty" from is beyond me. Never said it so you shouldn't be putting quotes around it. Again the post essentially was a he would prefer so I posted what I would prefer.

Old
12-07-2012, 10:18 AM
Lebanese Leaf

Dunno if this has been posted yet, but Carlos Delgado is joining the level of excellence...

http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=411146

Great news, he was my favourite baseball player growing up.

Closed Thread