HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Basketball
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Basketball NBA, NCAA, International

NBA Regular Season Thread II (11/25-12/25)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-06-2012, 09:57 PM
  #476
Hanta Yo
Bag it up
 
Hanta Yo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,167
vCash: 500
And I thought it would get bad if the Leafs ever started winning...

Hanta Yo is offline  
Old
12-06-2012, 09:57 PM
  #477
Morozov
The Devil Killer
 
Morozov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 11,300
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Morozov
As if Wade hadn't already had enough female troubles


Morozov is offline  
Old
12-06-2012, 10:00 PM
  #478
KaylaJ
Tungsten!
 
KaylaJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: hell
Country: United States
Posts: 14,668
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanta Yo View Post
And I thought it would get bad if the Leafs ever started winning...
I used to like this part of the board much more

KaylaJ is offline  
Old
12-06-2012, 10:01 PM
  #479
davebenj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,343
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Del Ziti View Post
Head collision. Don't remember the exact game either
Thanks

davebenj is offline  
Old
12-06-2012, 10:02 PM
  #480
Vamos Rafa
ADT = GH
 
Vamos Rafa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Clay Court
Country: Spain
Posts: 11,084
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morozov View Post
As if Wade hadn't already had enough female troubles

Is he still tapping Gabrielle Union?

Vamos Rafa is offline  
Old
12-06-2012, 10:03 PM
  #481
Morozov
The Devil Killer
 
Morozov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 11,300
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Morozov
I think so yeah.

Morozov is offline  
Old
12-06-2012, 10:07 PM
  #482
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup
 
GWOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 14,844
vCash: 500
The Knicks at some point will show their age. What they have on their side is eventual addition of two very capable players like Shumpert and Stat to an already deep rotation, and the fact that the EC sucks overall.

GWOW is offline  
Old
12-06-2012, 10:42 PM
  #483
BwayBshirt
Registered User
 
BwayBshirt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: My NY State of Mind
Country: United States
Posts: 3,372
vCash: 500
The thing is, the Knicks are old, but they are one of the deepest teams in the league.

If you can rest the starters/old guys early like they have been able to early in this season because of the blowouts, then logically they should never be in position to "show their age" until at least the playoffs.

Plus, this team also has as many or more quality perimeter/3-point shooters as anybody in the league.

Better than the Heat? Won't go there yet.

Legit? No doubt.

BwayBshirt is offline  
Old
12-06-2012, 10:58 PM
  #484
Melrose Munch
Registered User
 
Melrose Munch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 14,334
vCash: 500
Knicks baby!!!!

Melrose Munch is offline  
Old
12-06-2012, 10:58 PM
  #485
Hemskyfanboy83
Registered User
 
Hemskyfanboy83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 6,523
vCash: 500
I'm certainly no fan of the Knicks but they are a very likeable team this year. Very fun watching them moving the ball and shooting the lights out.

The Heat are obviously super talented, but they play kind of a choppy style. Not as fluid as the Knicks.

Hemskyfanboy83 is offline  
Old
12-06-2012, 11:38 PM
  #486
KaylaJ
Tungsten!
 
KaylaJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: hell
Country: United States
Posts: 14,668
vCash: 500
talking to PHX fans who are satisfied on camera, of course they could always lie and say they weren't later. craig even found a guy in a wheelchair because of a broken leg who was satisfied, though considering the rehab and how much you have to deal with just to get out of the house with such an injury, he's probably happy to be anywhere. good call on his friends to help him out though.

KaylaJ is offline  
Old
12-06-2012, 11:55 PM
  #487
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards
 
Live in the Now's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: LA
Country: United States
Posts: 31,603
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
So you were expecting titles between 1992 and 1996????? Nobody else in NBA circles sure as **** did?
Strawman argument to the max. No, I didn't expect them to win them, but the Lakers level of play during that time was not acceptable. That being said it was brought upon by their best player getting HIV and nobody expected that either.

Anyway, no reason to be talking about the Lakers when the Knicks just had their biggest win in a decade, so I'll stop.


Last edited by Live in the Now: 12-07-2012 at 12:02 AM.
Live in the Now is online now  
Old
12-07-2012, 12:29 AM
  #488
KaylaJ
Tungsten!
 
KaylaJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: hell
Country: United States
Posts: 14,668
vCash: 500
PHX loses in OT but it was a decent game

KaylaJ is offline  
Old
12-07-2012, 12:32 AM
  #489
Avs_19
Peter the Great
 
Avs_19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,320
vCash: 500
Heat once again don't show up and lose to another mediocre team.

Avs_19 is offline  
Old
12-07-2012, 12:59 AM
  #490
Hemskyfanboy83
Registered User
 
Hemskyfanboy83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 6,523
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
Strawman argument to the max. No, I didn't expect them to win them, but the Lakers level of play during that time was not acceptable. That being said it was brought upon by their best player getting HIV and nobody expected that either.

Anyway, no reason to be talking about the Lakers when the Knicks just had their biggest win in a decade, so I'll stop.
It's not reasonable to expect your favorite team to win the title or be in contention every year. The Lakers have just been lucky in that they have had many of the greatest players in the history of the game on their team through the years.

How stupid would I sound if I said that it is unacceptable if the Raptors don't win the title this year.

Hemskyfanboy83 is offline  
Old
12-07-2012, 01:04 AM
  #491
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards
 
Live in the Now's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: LA
Country: United States
Posts: 31,603
vCash: 500
The Raptors don't try to make a huge franchise changing move every two-four years. The Lakers do it regularly so whatever expectations people place upon them, they've earned. For the record I never once said I expect the Lakers to win the title every year, but the bar has been set high enough for me to only be satisfied with that as an acceptable end to the season. Going out second round is never something I'm going to be happy with, sure that's an accomplishment for a lot of teams, but not this one.

Live in the Now is online now  
Old
12-07-2012, 01:13 AM
  #492
Vamos Rafa
ADT = GH
 
Vamos Rafa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Clay Court
Country: Spain
Posts: 11,084
vCash: 500
Then Liverpool and the Kings (before the unexpected 2012 run) must make your life miserable.

Vamos Rafa is offline  
Old
12-07-2012, 01:48 AM
  #493
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards
 
Live in the Now's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: LA
Country: United States
Posts: 31,603
vCash: 500
Not really though, the Kings making the playoffs was basically what any fan would accept cause that's all we could do in the past. I can be happy with that. Liverpool on the other hand, reality changed, so I have to readjust, but I really miss when times were better.

The Lakers are different because they're never going to stop trying to make moves to win things. If a team is going to trade for Dwight Howard, Steve Nash, Pau Gasol, Glen Rice, get Shaq, trade and develop Kobe, etc, a championship is the only acceptable outcome. In 07, winning a round would have been good but wouldn't have been happy about it, that's like a false positive. If the front office ever stops trying for that goal I'll lower my benchmark.

Live in the Now is online now  
Old
12-07-2012, 01:55 AM
  #494
Morozov
The Devil Killer
 
Morozov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 11,300
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Morozov
But people never expected the Kings to be doing much, it's not like the expectation that Lakers fans have for the Lakers.

There's teams in the league where the regular season really doesn't mean much, the Lakers, Miami, Spurs, OKC even though they don't yet have the hardware. Even Memphis has graduated to this point now the group they have now knows that what happens in the regular season doesn't mean ****. They've moved past the point of "omg playoffs Grizzlies rule!" Spurs, OKC, Miami, Memphis all have had great starts to the season in terms of record, the thing is those fan bases don't really care, because they know in the grand scheme of things having a shiny record in November/December means nothing.

This is why it was funny when some people thought it was such a big deal that Miami went down to the Wizards, my twitter feed was blowing up with Miami haters "omg they lost to the Wizards what a joke", the 72 win Bulls team lost to the expansion Raptors, it means nothing. Funnily enough my twitter feed was blowing up today with people ranting on about how amazing the Knicks are, relax Spike.

Once you graduate to being part of the elite of the league, the regular season is just warm ups for the big dance, each sport has this group, and of course it changes over time. Then there's the teams that aren't part of this group, and expectations and levels of excitement are much different. If you're a Blue Jackets fan, you're going to get a lot more giddy over starting say 8-2 than you would if you were a Pens fan. The Pens and Pens fans know those 10 games don't mean ****, shiny regular season records mean nothing when you get bounced in the playoffs early, which has been a pain the Pens have had to deal with in recent times since the cup run. Clearly Knicks fans are still in this getting giddy over such things stage, unsurprising when they have been starved of success for so long. But you'll understand why fans of teams who have been in the hunt for a long time now really couldn't care less about your first round playoff exit last year and your hot start to this season and why they couldn't really care less about their own teams hot starts either. The Knicks are 14-4, OKC and the Spurs are 15-4, those fans aren't stamping around about how they are one of the top teams and needing to point out to everyone how good their record is and that they are the top team in the league and whatever, because those teams and those fans know that your record right now means very little.

The thing is, Knicks fans think this is some sort of vendetta against the Knicks, that people are trying to hold the Knicks down or diminish the Knicks achievements, but that isn't the case, because fans of teams who have better/similar records hold the same lack of caring about their own teams strong start as the do the Knicks strong start. Of course, it's better to be 15-4 than 9-10 (Lakers dig come at me) but once you get to the playoffs nobody cares what your record was in November/December, and come next season, nobody cares what your record was in the regular season if you got to the playoffs and did nothing. In a couple of seasons, if the Knicks continue to make the playoffs and cement themselves as a team that is "in the hunt" then you'll be in the same boat. Maybe.

Canucks have had back to back 50+ win seasons, made a big song and dance about it, ultimately won nothing. Went through a few years of hearing how awesome San Jose was with all the regular season wins they were notching up, anyone care? this is why nobody cares about your hot start to the season, and nobody cares about your record after changing coaches and getting blitzed first round.


Last edited by Morozov: 12-07-2012 at 02:05 AM.
Morozov is offline  
Old
12-07-2012, 02:34 AM
  #495
BwayBshirt
Registered User
 
BwayBshirt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: My NY State of Mind
Country: United States
Posts: 3,372
vCash: 500
^One caveat to your post though, and maybe I'm misreading things here so forgive me.

You talk as if the Knicks are some young, unseasoned team that needs to crawl before they walk.

But they aren't.

As a team loaded with vets, chances are they will know how to manage themselves as well as can be expected throughout the course of this season. We all know this years' team is a one-year, one-shot deal just like the Mavs 2 years ago.

Knicks fans who have proper perspective should & do understand that there's no looking ahead past this season, it's only about this year.

BwayBshirt is offline  
Old
12-07-2012, 07:05 AM
  #496
Morozov
The Devil Killer
 
Morozov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 11,300
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Morozov
Quote:
Originally Posted by BwayBshirt View Post
^One caveat to your post though, and maybe I'm misreading things here so forgive me.

You talk as if the Knicks are some young, unseasoned team that needs to crawl before they walk.

But they aren't.

As a team loaded with vets, chances are they will know how to manage themselves as well as can be expected throughout the course of this season. We all know this years' team is a one-year, one-shot deal just like the Mavs 2 years ago.

Knicks fans who have proper perspective should & do understand that there's no looking ahead past this season, it's only about this year.
I'm not talking about the Knicks like they are a young team at all. That's just you trying to find something that isn't actually there.

I'm talking about them like a team that hasn't really achieved much, because by the standards of teams like the Spurs, Lakers, Heat, OKC they haven't.

So the Knicks fans can get all over excited about a 1st round playoff failure and a hot start to the season and the traditional big dogs will continue on realizing that it doesn't mean ****.

This isn't some anti Knicks thing, again, the Spurs, Heat, OKC, Memphis, these teams all have records that are basically as good, in some cases better than the Knicks. The difference is those teams and their fans know that being 15-4 or 14-4 or whatever right now is not an accomplishment, it doesn't make you a top team, it's not something to go singing from the rooftops. You wouldn't see a Spurs fan yapping about how amazing their record is, because they know the deal. But the Knicks fans, after being starved of a semblance of success for so long, want to demand they be treated among the best in the league after not even a season worth of performance that indicates they belong their, it doesn't work like that. It doesn't matter if you are an old team or a young team, respect is not earned in a 1st round playoff destruction, respect is not earned in November, respect is not earned in December.

Really, that is the difference. Miami, Spurs, OKC, Memphis these fans and teams don't care about their record right now, with how much the Knicks fans want to rant on about their record, those teams would be just as entitled to do so also, but they don't, because they are the real big dogs and they know it means nothing. You prove your worth in the playoffs, then you deserve to start yapping. It's clear what is deemed worthy of celebrating for Knicks fans is much lower than it is for some of the other teams in the league.

There's nothing wrong with being happy your team is doing well, I'm sure everyone who is a fan of those teams I've mentioned are happy that things are proceedings as they are. Just realize that while Knicks fans think this makes them one of the best (or THE best as some have said) and that they are gods gift to basketball or whatever, there's fans of several teams who are performing at the same level who are for the most part unmoved because they are at a level where such performance is taken for granted. It's not that other people don't want the Knicks fans to enjoy themselves as one guy on here seems to think, and it's not that people are trying to diminish the Knicks (stop flattering yourselves seriously), it's that people simply do not care about what you have achieved so far. You are the kid who finally kissed a girl in a room with a bunch of guys who have been banging chicks for years now and suddenly you think you are on the same level.


Last edited by Morozov: 12-07-2012 at 07:17 AM.
Morozov is offline  
Old
12-07-2012, 07:30 AM
  #497
Vamos Rafa
ADT = GH
 
Vamos Rafa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Clay Court
Country: Spain
Posts: 11,084
vCash: 500
Just curious, do Knicks fans have the same mindset as LitN when it comes to the Yankees (the ones that are Yankee fans)?

Vamos Rafa is offline  
Old
12-07-2012, 08:26 AM
  #498
BwayBshirt
Registered User
 
BwayBshirt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: My NY State of Mind
Country: United States
Posts: 3,372
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morozov View Post
I'm not talking about the Knicks like they are a young team at all. That's just you trying to find something that isn't actually there.

I'm talking about them like a team that hasn't really achieved much, because by the standards of teams like the Spurs, Lakers, Heat, OKC they haven't.

So the Knicks fans can get all over excited about a 1st round playoff failure and a hot start to the season and the traditional big dogs will continue on realizing that it doesn't mean ****.

This isn't some anti Knicks thing, again, the Spurs, Heat, OKC, Memphis, these teams all have records that are basically as good, in some cases better than the Knicks. The difference is those teams and their fans know that being 15-4 or 14-4 or whatever right now is not an accomplishment, it doesn't make you a top team, it's not something to go singing from the rooftops. You wouldn't see a Spurs fan yapping about how amazing their record is, because they know the deal. But the Knicks fans, after being starved of a semblance of success for so long, want to demand they be treated among the best in the league after not even a season worth of performance that indicates they belong their, it doesn't work like that. It doesn't matter if you are an old team or a young team, respect is not earned in a 1st round playoff destruction, respect is not earned in November, respect is not earned in December.

Really, that is the difference. Miami, Spurs, OKC, Memphis these fans and teams don't care about their record right now, with how much the Knicks fans want to rant on about their record, those teams would be just as entitled to do so also, but they don't, because they are the real big dogs and they know it means nothing. You prove your worth in the playoffs, then you deserve to start yapping. It's clear what is deemed worthy of celebrating for Knicks fans is much lower than it is for some of the other teams in the league.

There's nothing wrong with being happy your team is doing well, I'm sure everyone who is a fan of those teams I've mentioned are happy that things are proceedings as they are. Just realize that while Knicks fans think this makes them one of the best (or THE best as some have said) and that they are gods gift to basketball or whatever, there's fans of several teams who are performing at the same level who are for the most part unmoved because they are at a level where such performance is taken for granted. It's not that other people don't want the Knicks fans to enjoy themselves as one guy on here seems to think, and it's not that people are trying to diminish the Knicks (stop flattering yourselves seriously), it's that people simply do not care about what you have achieved so far. You are the kid who finally kissed a girl in a room with a bunch of guys who have been banging chicks for years now and suddenly you think you are on the same level.
Oh ok, I understand now.

It's cool. From a fan POV, you're right; starved fans will grasp onto anything. Especially starved NY'ers.

Go big or go home; it's the NY way. For better & worse.

BwayBshirt is offline  
Old
12-07-2012, 09:25 AM
  #499
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING
 
McSorleyStick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Algeria
Posts: 15,015
vCash: 500
OMG David Stern, juste leave already !


I think he meant Dwight Howard, and not Tiago Splitter

Stern trying to protect the Lakers, lol


http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/b...1ce9q&wjb=

Quote:
Much of the NBA is discussing Dwight Howard's inability to hit free throws, and the tactical opportunity that it creates for Los Angeles Lakers' opponents to foul him early and often. Even if Howard is nowhere near the action, if an opponent grabs him, it is Howard who must step to the free-throw line, and he'll bring his career 58 percent average with him.

"I would have liked to have seen the rule changed to make the last-two-minute rule the whole rule," he said. "It was getting to a point last year where, [in the] first period, they were just grabbing players. I think that's ludicrous.

"We tried to change it to any time in the game because last year I guess it was everyone was fouling Tiago Splitter early on and the committee didn't want to do it. And so that's just the way it is. Because the reality is that there are a lot of basketball purists -- and I understand that point of view -- who say, 'Hey, why don't you learn to shoot foul shots? You're supposed to be a pro.'"

McSorleyStick is online now  
Old
12-07-2012, 11:30 AM
  #500
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils
 
Tanner Glass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NYC
Country: Austria
Posts: 17,584
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Heat once again don't show up and lose to another mediocre team.
You're talking about the Wizards... right?

__________________
Tanner Glass is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:21 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.