HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > The Lounge
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Lounge "...Where the parking lot of the Igloo meets the concourse of the Nassau County Coliseum and the bathroom line of the Skyreach..." - Wickedbsfan

Best and Worst Beers?

Closed Thread

Old
11-17-2012, 02:07 PM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
How is the Troegs? I nearly bought some to try out, but then I saw that it's made with cherries and changed my mind.
Mad Elf is one of my all time favorite beers. Shame that it's $16 for a 6 pack, but it's just about worth it. The cherry isn't that strong, I think the honey comes through more than anything.

Old
11-17-2012, 06:46 PM
Francesa
(╯°□°)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

http://twitter.com/michaelpollan/sta...49417145114625
Quote:
More monopoly in Big Food, meaning less choice: Now it's craft beer about to be crushed. *******/SUYZUb
Quote:
Okay, let's unpack this. Craft beer has grown dramatically in popularity, and now makes up 6 percent of the total market. And while no individual craft brewer, not even the largest ones like Sierra Nevada, is big enough to pose a threat to Miller and Bud, the industry as a whole, from national brands like Sierra Nevada to your favorite local brew, are taking shelf space from the Big Two. Newsflash: The Big Two want that shelf space back. The retail jargon "SKUs" stands for "stock-keeping unit," a coding system used by retailers to track inventory. "Too many SKUs" translates to "too many unique products." What the beer exec is saying is that supermarkets and corner stores might think they make more money by finding space on the shelves for independent craft beers, but they actually sell more beer and book more profits by dropping craft beers and sticking with the giants.

Old
11-17-2012, 08:38 PM
guyincognito

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
Meh, maybe if you live in the middle of nowhere with one grocery/package store.

Don't see what effect it would have on big box liquor/beer stores.

Old
11-17-2012, 10:18 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

If you eliminate the Orange Street Food Farm in Missoula I've probably bought <5% of my beer from grocery stores in my life.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
11-17-2012, 11:19 PM
Paris in Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveLuci View Post
I recommend this:

Cuvée Van De Keizer Blauw

I don't know where you'd find a bottle.
Maybe a bit late but if anybody wants to try it and they're in Ontario, this is part of the LCBO's holiday releases. Have a bottle in my fridge now.

Old
11-18-2012, 11:41 AM
Krishna

http://beerstreetjournal.com/introdu...traw-ber-rita/

Quote:
Earlier this year, Anheuser-Busch launched Bud Light Lime-A-Rita. The brewery blended Bud Light Lime and margarita mix together for beer/cocktail crossover, with a kick. Lime-A-Ritas are typically 8% ABV. Rita was an instant success. AB has had trouble keeping the shelves stocked with the product.

On the heels of Lime-A-Rita’s success, AB aims to release a variant – Straw-Ber-Rita. The beer based margarita is now introduced with strawberry flavoring. Mike Sundet, VP at Bud Light had this to say of the original product launch: “This is our take on the traditional margarita. Beer drinkers were already mixing Bud Light Lime into margaritas to create ‘beer ritas’; Lime-a-Rita just adds a new level of convenience by providing a beverage with the perfect balance of flavors.”

Old
11-18-2012, 01:26 PM
RayP

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
That sounds disgusting.

Old
11-18-2012, 09:48 PM
Human
cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post

Old
11-19-2012, 05:58 PM
Human
cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
I had this one last evening, and even though the color wouldn't say it, it is very good and tasty. definitely reminded me of some great belgian classics like: Chimay Cinq Cents, Saison Dupont, Tripel Karmeliet, Duvel, or even Delirium Tremens. it's like a belgian beer brewed in the US.

Old
11-19-2012, 06:51 PM
RayP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human View Post
I had this one last evening, and even though the color wouldn't say it, it is very good and tasty. definitely reminded me of some great belgian classics like: Chimay Cinq Cents, Saison Dupont, Tripel Karmeliet, Duvel, or even Delirium Tremens. it's like a belgian beer brewed in the US.
Agreed. I couldn't believe how light in color it was.

It looked like a Miller/Coors/Bud light after I poured it, but damn was it good.

Old
11-19-2012, 09:06 PM
chuppa chupp
star gazing

I'm so jealous of you Chicago-ans. Goose Island's Bourbon County Stout is one of the best new beers I've had in the past year or so, so I can only imagine how good everything else they have is. Plus, you have Three Floyds right down the road from you.

Old
11-19-2012, 09:33 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes

Had this the other day. Pleasantly surprised. The label said it had hints of vanilla but I found it to be quite strong. Still really liked it.

And this little gem I found at my lcbo would be the best beer I've had in quite some time. I absolutely love oatmeal stouts and this was no different. The chocolate wasn't really all that noticeable which was okay with me.

Old
11-19-2012, 10:20 PM
Kekumba

Send a message via AIM to Kekumba Send a message via MSN to Kekumba Send a message via Skype™ to Kekumba
Hm, I went to the liquor store across the street from Goose Island's brewery, but never did I have anything from them when I was in Chicago. That Binny's place is unreal, though. Probably walked the beer section 10 times before I grabbed even one bottle.

Old
11-20-2012, 07:38 PM
RayP

Every night I crack open a Celebration, it continues to blow my mind how good it is. I had high hopes with it being Sierra Nevada and all, but I can't believe that it is this good each time I have one.

Old
11-21-2012, 02:35 AM
chuppa chupp
star gazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by crane View Post
wasn't directed at me but I am going to drink the **** out of that sierra. Looks awesome. I love trying hoppy beers, especially ones that have the word hop in the name. Pure hoppiness, hop heaven...

Anyway, I hope you get to try some Pliny in the near future. If you're a hop guy you'll love it.
It's a great beer. Might be a little too hoppy. . The ABV is something like 11%, so it packs a punch.

I'll let you know when / if I try some Pliny. I've been wanting to try it for a while now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoat View Post
Oh my gawd! That looks amazing! I've never seen that before. I know for a fact that beer doesn't exist here. Is it new? Whenever I go back home, (Saint Louis) I always load up on Stone's Arrogant *******. Oklahoma has some serious issues when it comes to alcohol and can be hard to find good stuff at times.
I don't want to rub it in, but it's pretty damn awesome. It was first released back in early 2011, and for some reason, I thought it was a year round beer since I bought some this August, but in reading around it looks like this is a spring release beer.

I hope you can find it next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
Every night I crack open a Celebration, it continues to blow my mind how good it is. I had high hopes with it being Sierra Nevada and all, but I can't believe that it is this good each time I have one.

Old
11-21-2012, 06:17 AM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

vCash: 250
My favorite clean Pilsner is Urquell but it absolutely must be from a keg. The green bottles they produce skunk the beer.

Old
11-25-2012, 09:37 PM
Kekumba

Send a message via AIM to Kekumba Send a message via MSN to Kekumba Send a message via Skype™ to Kekumba
Just had Stone Ruination for the first time.

Face melted.

Old
11-26-2012, 02:23 PM
Hammettf2b
Unregistered User

vCash: 194
My fav would be Youngs Double Chocolate Stout either on tap or the can. Out of the bottle just taste different to me

Old
12-06-2012, 08:06 PM
flyershockey

Southern Tier 2X Xmas Ale is a really good beer. Goose Island Nut Brown Ale is another recent first that I enjoyed. I tried the Troegs Christmas, and wasn't all that impressed. It was too sweet for my liking.

Old
12-06-2012, 08:20 PM
Raging Bull

As dirty and as cheap people say it is, I really don't care, I love Rolling Rock. We can't even get it in bottles here in Ontario as far as I know.

Old
12-06-2012, 09:48 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging Bull View Post
As dirty and as cheap people say it is, I really don't care, I love Rolling Rock. We can't even get it in bottles here in Ontario as far as I know.
I don't find it that bad either but ya, you can only get it in cans here in Ontario.

Last concert I went to a guy in a wheelchair went by drinking a rolling rock and the part of me that's an ******* couldn't help but laugh a little.

Old
12-06-2012, 09:50 PM
Kekumba

Got some beer mail the other day...

Old
12-06-2012, 10:22 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Worst:

GF is allergic to gluten, this was her introduction to beer. I apologized and told her that this is not what beer tastes like.

Old
12-07-2012, 12:28 AM
DKQ
Generic User Title

Didn't go through the thread so I don't know if it's been mentioned, but this is my absolute favourite beer

It's called Smuttynose Shoals Pale Ale (Smuttynose is the brewery). It's from a microbrewery in NH. If you are in New England I'd highly reccomend it, it's very hoppy.

Since I live in Canada I typically drink Guinness or Sam Adams if I'm drinking for pleasure, Pabst, MGD, Mooshead or Keith's if I'm drinking to get drunk

Old
12-07-2012, 12:59 AM
Faute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kekumba View Post
Got some beer mail the other day...

Driftwood's Fat Tug is quite lovely. It's just too bad it only comes in 22oz bottles, as with all other Driftwood products. Having emigrated to BC last year, I would say Driftwood is by far the best brewery of the province.

Closed Thread