HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 CHL/NCAA/Euro Prospects thread 3.0

Closed Thread

Old
12-06-2012, 12:18 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

vCash: 500
Awards:
2012-2013 CHL/NCAA/Euro Prospects thread 3.0

Old thread was nearing the limit, continue here.

Old
12-06-2012, 02:29 AM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But
Saskatoon lost to Spokane 4-1, Dietz was -1.

However this is interesting because Rod Stewart's son scored the GWG.
He's just another player, why is that interesting?

Habs Prospects website
Old
12-06-2012, 03:37 AM
Dada

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsprospects View Post
He's just another player, why is that interesting?
ask him :

Old
12-06-2012, 08:00 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

wait, rod stewart's son plays le ice hockey? well crickey mate!

Old
12-06-2012, 10:28 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Watched the Dartmouth game last night, wasn't overly impressed with Walsh despite him scoring two nice goals, especially the 2nd one since it's something he needs to do more of. He was playing on the 1st line, RW and on the top PP unit. His first goal was a hell of a release as he used the defensemen as a screen although it was a freshman goalie and Vermont is not very good (plus they were missing 2 of their top forwards) but his 2nd goal was impressive. He passed the puck and then went hard to the net, got the pass back, fired a backhander and then got the rebound and tucked it in.

During the game, Pierre McGuire said that the Habs want Walsh to battle harder in one on ones, so that 2nd goal is likely exactly what the Habs want to see. But the problem I had with him is that he didn't keep his feet moving and often looked slugish to me. I don't know if the hip injury is causing him any issues with his mobility, as he seemed fine when he wanted but I noticed many times where he should have kept skating but instead he just coasted. The good news is that he continues to pick up the points of late and Dartmouth is playing some of their best hockey in some time as they have a very balanced attack but also have the best PK in the NCAA.

On a small note, Pierre McGuire said that there were a lot of NHL scouts in the building to see an undrafted Dartmouth player, Nick Bligh

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...37&encode=TRUE

But if I were looking at an undrafted player on Dartmouth, it would be Tyler Sikura or Matt Lindblad although neither are Seniors. Sikura impressed me the most in the game last night.

Old
12-06-2012, 10:59 AM
Et le But

Which are the prospects we have to consider signing after this year? Because I'm happy Walsh is showing something but he just might fall victim to the numbers game.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:11 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Which are the prospects we have to consider signing after this year? Because I'm happy Walsh is showing something but he just might fall victim to the numbers game.
http://www.habprospects.com/modules....rticle&sid=186

Depending on a number of outcomes, Walsh could be in tough to get a contract but we'll need to see how things go with the rest and any other players they might be interested in for next season as the 50 contract limit may or may not cause someone like Walsh to have to settle for an AHL contract or sign elsewhere.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:17 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post

Depending on a number of outcomes, Walsh could be in tough to get a contract but we'll need to see how things go with the rest and any other players they might be interested in for next season as the 50 contract limit may or may not cause someone like Walsh to have to settle for an AHL contract or sign elsewhere.
montreal on cue

Old
12-06-2012, 12:40 PM
That

It was my first time watching Walsh play. I came in with low expectations, so I was pleasantly surprised for the most part. Walsh played first line right wing tonight, he didn't get any penalty kill time, but did play on the first power play wave.

The first thing that caught my eye when watching him was how strong he is on his skates. He was virtually immovable out there. Very strong and balanced, he knows where his body is at all times. His skating overall is horrible away from the puck. His technique looks odd and he’s not constantly moving either. He's a pretty slow guy away from the puck and plays a stop and go game. There was a few times where he should have kept his feet moving and he would have gotten the puck. His top end speed seems very slow and he looks sluggish on the ice. However, once he gets the puck his skating increases dramatically. He suddenly has fairly good speed, his technique doesn't look nearly as awkward and he starts skating hard.

Walsh’s offensive positioning really impressed me. It seemed like, for the most part, he was in a very good position to receive a pass. He slips away from his man and gets himself in scoring position. Speaking of passing, his passing needs some work. His play making is definitely on the weaker side, as he often tries to forces plays. However, his head is always up and seems to have good vision so the potential is there. His wrist shot is very good, lots of power and good accuracy. His release seems a bit slow, but when he gets it off it’s a laser beam. He picked up his first goal by a beautiful snipe after being in a good positioning to receive a pass.

His hockey sense surprised me. He has great positioning in the offensive zone and neutral zone as well. His compete level seems low though. Walsh doesn't engage himself nearly enough along the boards and doesn't attack the puck carrier at all. Defensively, he has some work to do. I really liked the effort though; he blocked shots and back checked. His positioning isn't the greatest and at some points it was just downright bizarre. He doesn't go into the corners either. For a guy of his stature, you’d expect him to at least battle it out time to time. The one time he did, he won the puck and it resulted in a goal for Dartmouth.

I want to talk a bit more about his balance and strength on his skates. It’s really impressive. He uses his body well along the boards not only to gain the puck but to keep it too, he just doesn't do it with consistency. He rarely finishes his checks, but he is physical in puck battles. His second goal came from great work along the boards, then going right to the net. He got the puck and fought off two defenders before backhanding it in.

Walsh is still very raw at this point, but the skill is there. I really hope I get to see more of his games in the future, he’s a very intriguing player. The skill level is there and so is the hockey sense, however the skating and compete level aren’t. Hopefully he improves those two aspects of his game.

Highlights: Here

First goal is at the 1:30 mark and the second is immediately follows it. He's #22 in white.

Old
12-06-2012, 12:58 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post

Thanks.

Yeah, it's going to depend on multiple factors but if the Habs can't get rid of some deadweight contracts, Walsh might be the one to pay the price. Pribyl despite the fact that he won't make the NHL if he can't improve his skating has a bit more going for him and doesn't seem to be quite as injury prone, not to mention is younger. Meanwhile the defenders have all shown promise even with Saskatoon's woes.

I guess it's still possible they let Nygren go if he doesn't seem committed to North America, there's still Swedes on hfboards who watch him regularly who think he's more likely to have a good SEL career than be an NHLer but he's shown improvements in every area of his game this year and it's more likely that a defender ends up being a late bloomer surprise.

If it comes down to Walsh vs Pribyl, IMO they are better off going with the latter.

Old
12-06-2012, 07:28 PM
Treb

We rocketed from 21 to top 10 in HF ranking with the 2012 draft. Not really surprising with Galchenyuk and Hudon riping it up and Bozon, Vail and Collberg doing good.

Curious to see where we end up.

Old
12-06-2012, 07:47 PM
jedimyrmidon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treb View Post
We rocketed from 21 to top 10 in HF ranking with the 2012 draft. Not really surprising with Galchenyuk and Hudon riping it up and Bozon, Vail and Collberg doing good.

Curious to see where we end up.
Hmm, I would guess between 8-10.

Old
12-06-2012, 09:32 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 567
Vail with a goal tonight in a 3-2 win.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:08 PM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Great report on Walsh, That and Montreal.

Where would you put Walsh skill wise amongst our prospects? Better than Hagel yet worse than Galchenyuk?

Old
12-07-2012, 12:05 AM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Quote:
Thanks.

Yeah, it's going to depend on multiple factors but if the Habs can't get rid of some deadweight contracts, Walsh might be the one to pay the price. Pribyl despite the fact that he won't make the NHL if he can't improve his skating has a bit more going for him and doesn't seem to be quite as injury prone, not to mention is younger. Meanwhile the defenders have all shown promise even with Saskatoon's woes.

I guess it's still possible they let Nygren go if he doesn't seem committed to North America, there's still Swedes on hfboards who watch him regularly who think he's more likely to have a good SEL career than be an NHLer but he's shown improvements in every area of his game this year and it's more likely that a defender ends up being a late bloomer surprise.

If it comes down to Walsh vs Pribyl, IMO they are better off going with the latter.
I hope they make room for Walsh. If he can stay healthy, this upcoming offseason should be the first in a while where he can do some training and work on whatever his needs are.

Really don't see the point of keeping a Hagel or even a Palushaj at the expense of a 6'4 forward with skill.

Old
12-07-2012, 01:16 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by makbowles View Post
I hope they make room for Walsh. If he can stay healthy, this upcoming offseason should be the first in a while where he can do some training and work on whatever his needs are.

Really don't see the point of keeping a Hagel or even a Palushaj at the expense of a 6'4 forward with skill.
Oh, I agree that it's better to take a chance on Walsh than hold on to Palushaj, who has no future in the NHL, but Walsh isn't a top priority IMO. He's far from a lost cause though.

Old
12-07-2012, 02:55 AM
dackelljuneaubulis02

article on Walsh

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...ortened-season

Old
12-07-2012, 07:42 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Oh, I agree that it's better to take a chance on Walsh than hold on to Palushaj, who has no future in the NHL, but Walsh isn't a top priority IMO. He's far from a lost cause though.
Why would Palushaj have no future in the NHL? I think if there is a season he will be in the NHL in the bottom 6/13th forward role and have a chance to make a niche for himself, he just turned 23. He's dominated the AHL the last 2 years(this year not so much), he's at a point where he should be getting an extended look.

Old
12-07-2012, 08:46 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Why would Palushaj have no future in the NHL? I think if there is a season he will be in the NHL in the bottom 6/13th forward role and have a chance to make a niche for himself, he just turned 23. He's dominated the AHL the last 2 years(this year not so much), he's at a point where he should be getting an extended look.
He's not particularly good defensively or strong and he's mediocre even in the AHL, he looks like the archtypical tweener only good for emergency callups to me. He's only 23 but he's being outplayed be younger prospects.

Old
12-07-2012, 10:38 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

I watched the Volts game from the other night. Does anyone know what happened to Archambault, after around the mid-point of the 3rd he never saw the ice again. Not sure if he was injured or benched. Overall I like the improvements he's shown as I thought his compete level was better, and even took the body although wasn't very effective at it. His defensive game didn't look very good though.

Quote:
Where would you put Walsh skill wise amongst our prospects? Better than Hagel yet worse than Galchenyuk?
Walsh has good hands and a nice shot, he would be in the top 15 or so skill wise but his overall game needs polish.

Quote:

Well Hagel is on an AHL contract and a UFA at seasons end so I doubt he's in the future plans. Palushaj I don't know what they will do with him but I wouldn't mind if he was with another team, has been very disappointing in Hamilton so far.

Old
12-07-2012, 10:44 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

Hudon named captain of the Sags!

Old
12-07-2012, 10:57 AM
Bullsmith

Hudon has just been a revelation this season. Gally has delivered everything anyone could reasonably have hoped for, and given how much time he missed last year, that's something of a relief. For all it looks like a no-brainer pick right now, taking him 3rd overall was something of a gamble. One I'm very, very glad we took based on his play recently.

Even with Thrower's awful,no good, very bad start to the year, Collberg's struggles in the top league in Sweeden and Bozon's ice-cold November, the 2012 draft class has been a steady source of pleasure and optimism for the future of the org.

Old
12-07-2012, 11:05 AM
zzoo

Recent performance
Hottest: Galchenyuk
Hot: Hudon, Collberg
Cold: Bozon, Vail, Nystrom, Kristo
Coldest: Thrower

Old
12-07-2012, 11:34 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
Recent performance
Hottest: Galchenyuk
Hot: Hudon, Collberg
Cold: Bozon, Vail, Nystrom, Kristo
Coldest: Thrower
That's why I have the most hope in Thrower. He's learning how to hate losing, and that he needs to earn his way to the NHL. Don't give up on this kid yet.

Old
12-07-2012, 11:37 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

Thrower hasn't played in over a month, he shouldn't be judged.

Closed Thread