Notices

Possible Trade Ideas v6

Closed Thread

Old
12-06-2012, 01:16 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

vCash: 16145
I'm guessing there is some dynamic we're missing in the line-up. Because its senseless to play a talented Phillips fourth line minutes, even when some of our best players are hurt.

Old
12-06-2012, 01:19 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

vCash: 500
I wanted to add to that: Coyle's stats with Larsson at center 0-2-2 +1 in 8 games. Coyle's stats with Phillips at center 1-0-1 -1 in 2 games. Coyle's stats with Granlund at center 4-2-6 +1 in 10 games. (I'm fairly certain I have this all straight for who was center, though I'm assuming all games until the Granlund injury had him at center for Coyle and I'm not positive about that.)

Old
12-06-2012, 01:20 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

8 and 2 games are about as small a sample size as you can get.

I don't see either player having elite hockey IQ to adjust to the AHL in the early part of the season, so I'd like to see them after 1 - 1.5 seasons and re-assess.

I'm just not convinced of Phillips' skill set.

Old
12-06-2012, 01:21 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Oh and there is an issue with that...Granlund's injury was two games earlier than I read across. That actually makes the Granlund center stats 4-2-6 +3 in 8 games, the 0-0-0 and -2 in the two intervening games had Larsson at center IIRC.

Old
12-06-2012, 01:23 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

Well, when I went to the games at OKC, Phillips was the one that impressed me the most, by far. I'll go as far as saying he is the best stick handler on the team, with a healthy Granlund. Has good defensive awareness and plays a solid two-way game. He doesn't shoot often, but sets up players more than a enough with his vision. His vision is a step down from Granlund, but is still above-average.

Phillips, is...just...so....slow.

Old
12-06-2012, 01:26 PM
lacrosseguy

Guess, perhaps best just to move on, again I like CC alot , just find it strange that some prospects will always be fighting an uphill battle to get respect in spite of their body of work, while others seemingly get a bit of a break in that way.
Having said that I do think CC is closer to being an NHL'er that Zach is and frankly should be as he is a 2010 draft kid while Phillips is a 2011 draft kid. This time last year at the same time post draft(18 months after his draft) CC was playing at BU and struggling, before going to junior while Phillips (18 months post draft) is playing against men in the AHL.

Patience is key with all these guys, honestly isnt a high profile prospect in the last couple of draft that Im worried about

Old
12-06-2012, 01:32 PM
lacrosseguy

.............and Jarick, I respect your opinion, all good !

Old
12-06-2012, 01:45 PM
keppel146
We love Bacon

All I'm saying is that Phillips needs better time to show his offensive upside (so dont trade him), I just wish he could get solid linemates and time. What line is Phillips on now, 3rd line with Palmieri and McIntyre? I was bummed to see him benched against Rockford at the X. (Ill try and get back to trade ideas now, not prospect info.)

Old
12-06-2012, 01:54 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

It's, what, week 7 or 8 of his first pro season? He'll have plenty of time to show what he can do.

My short take:

Coyle - think he could be a top six NHL'er in a couple years
Phillips - not so sure he could be a top nine NHL'er in a couple years

Old
12-06-2012, 01:57 PM
lacrosseguy

In answer to Keppell, Phillips plays 4th line with Caron and Broda-- Jarick you also had asked a while back what the lines were in Houston as you hadnt watched a game in awhile, see above.

Old
12-06-2012, 03:28 PM
ProfessorMcFatty

The discussion about Phillip's minutes brings up an interesting question. With a team so stocked with great potential, are some guys' training going to suffer?

Are there other guys like Phillips that might normally be seeing 2nd line minutes, that have been bumped back to 3rd or 4th line minutes?

Old
12-06-2012, 07:12 PM
goatvindaloo

If we're looking at trading away Phillips, howabout Phillips for Skjei?

Old
12-07-2012, 12:29 AM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatvindaloo View Post
If we're looking at trading away Phillips, howabout Phillips for Skjei?
I'm saying no, but Gopher would be the one to ask.

Phillips is seeping with skill. If he wasn't slower than the kids being pushed around by their grandmothers on a chair, more of us would see it.

This kid has produced at almost every turn. He just hasn't been giving the same opportunity as other top players. In part because Torchetti likes to play his heart and soul guys as one of the top 2 lines.

Old
12-07-2012, 01:00 AM
goatvindaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post
I'm saying no, but Gopher would be the one to ask.

Phillips is seeping with skill. If he wasn't slower than the kids being pushed around by their grandmothers on a chair, more of us would see it.

This kid has produced at almost every turn. He just hasn't been giving the same opportunity as other top players. In part because Torchetti likes to play his heart and soul guys as one of the top 2 lines.
I by no means disagree. I think Phillips is definitely worth keeping around, just if he was to be traded.

Old
12-07-2012, 01:23 AM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatvindaloo View Post
I by no means disagree. I think Phillips is definitely worth keeping around, just if he was to be traded.
Yea. For that post, the first line was for you, the last 2 was directed at everybody. Thats how I see him, anyways. Skjei doesn't play a physical game, despite his size. We have enough softies.

Old
12-07-2012, 01:28 AM
goatvindaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post
Yea. For that post, the first line was for you, the last 2 was directed at everybody. Thats how I see him, anyways. Skjei doesn't play a physical game, despite his size. We have enough softies.
Once we have Dumba, we won't need any other physical defensemen

Old
12-08-2012, 02:25 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

vCash: 50
Anyone else think we're gonna need a 1st line RW? Heatley will likely be gone in a couple years and I don't think Coyle or Phillips has 1st line potential. It seems like we'll have 3 different 2nd line RWers in Seto, Coyle and Phillips. Would we bump up Coyle to the 1st line anyway, or make a trade?

Old
12-08-2012, 02:46 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
Anyone else think we're gonna need a 1st line RW? Heatley will likely be gone in a couple years and I don't think Coyle or Phillips has 1st line potential. It seems like we'll have 3 different 2nd line RWers in Seto, Coyle and Phillips. Would we bump up Coyle to the 1st line anyway, or make a trade?
I think we should give Coyle a shot up there, mainly because I think his type of game will mesh well with Koivu and Parise. I think that position would be pretty far down on any "trade list".

Old
12-08-2012, 02:56 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

I think we'll re-sign Heatley to a more reasonable contract when this one is over, so it's really something that's significantly down the road. I think it's too early to start worrying about that right now though. Coyle or Phillips could pan out that way. Lucia plays on the right doesn't he? Bussieres could have a major breakthrough. If there's no season we could win the lottery and draft MacKinnon.

There's too many variables for me to start worrying about how that might work out quite yet.

Old
12-08-2012, 03:27 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
I think we'll re-sign Heatley to a more reasonable contract when this one is over, so it's really something that's significantly down the road. I think it's too early to start worrying about that right now though. Coyle or Phillips could pan out that way. Lucia plays on the right doesn't he? Bussieres could have a major breakthrough. If there's no season we could win the lottery and draft MacKinnon.

There's too many variables for me to start worrying about how that might work out quite yet.
Notre Dame's website calls him a LW; didn't notice what side he was on last night.

Old
12-08-2012, 04:20 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

i'd be surprised if neither Coyle nor Phillips could play the position well enough to keep up with the other two. Bonified first liner that can carry a line? No, probably not, but both could put up at least average first line numbers while getting the minutes playing with Koivu/Parise/Granlund or whoever. No worries there. Both make good complimentary players.

Old
12-08-2012, 05:21 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
Notre Dame's website calls him a LW; didn't notice what side he was on last night.
I didn't catch during regular shifts, but I'm positive he was on the right on the PP. Doc Emrick even made a comment or two about "the left hand shot on the right side."

Old
12-10-2012, 12:11 AM
SphinX
#Whytake7whenyouget3

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post

How does the lottery work after lockouts? Does every team have a shot at the first?

Old
12-10-2012, 12:17 AM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Quote:
Originally Posted by SphinX View Post
How does the lottery work after lockouts? Does every team have a shot at the first?
No one knows for sure yet, but the 2005 system is the most likely candidate. If NHL ends up using it for the 2013 draft, it means that Minnesota is one of the teams with three (3) balls on the lottery. Also, the draft runs on a "snake" -system, as opposed to the traditional system, meaning that the team that picks #1 will pick at #60 the next time, and the team picking #30 will also pick at #31.

I'm really hoping we get a good pick if the season is cancelled.

Old
12-10-2012, 03:00 AM
SphinX
#Whytake7whenyouget3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell Goldshadow View Post
No one knows for sure yet, but the 2005 system is the most likely candidate. If NHL ends up using it for the 2013 draft, it means that Minnesota is one of the teams with three (3) balls on the lottery. Also, the draft runs on a "snake" -system, as opposed to the traditional system, meaning that the team that picks #1 will pick at #60 the next time, and the team picking #30 will also pick at #31.

I'm really hoping we get a good pick if the season is cancelled.

With 3 balls we should have a good shot at minimum a top 5..

Eddy on the other hand should get the last one tho..

One more 1st Overall to them the next 5 years would be a parody..

Closed Thread