HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Afinogenov

Old
05-29-2006, 09:03 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

vCash: 500
Afinogenov

Looks like Afinogenov might single handedly fullfill the prophecy of the Buffalo choke. Three break aways with nothing to show for it. The Sabres had every opportunity to win that game.

I do realize that by saying this I increase the liklihood he'll probably end up in NY next year.

He's a great player but where's the finish when it matters the most?

Maybe he was distracted by the BIG Breasts behind the Buffalo bench.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2006, 09:11 AM
Sens are like Whoa

Sometimes I think he has more speed than he knows what to do with.. it's almost like he gets going so fast that he doesn't have time to think about what he's going to do.

Either way I still think he's an amazing player, far from choking, and I would love to have him play for my team.

Last edited by Sens are like Whoa: 05-29-2006 at 09:31 AM.
Sens are like Whoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2006, 09:29 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by sens are like whoa
Sometimes I think he has more speed than he knows what to do with.. it's almost like he gets going so fast that he doesn't have time to think about what he's going to do.

Either way I still think he's an amazing player, far from choking, and I would love to have it him play for my team.

he reminds me of a more skilled faster rico fata. He has no hockey sense at all.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2006, 10:05 AM
Levitate

afinogenov is a nice player as long as you don't expect him to finish all his chances. he can create some offense, does get some goals, but you're going to be forever dissapointed with him if you can't get over the fact that his finishing ability isn't on par with the rest of his skills.

I'd take him on the 2nd line though. with some decent finisher to dish the puck to, he can rack up the assists pretty well

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2006, 10:05 AM
Leetchie

Send a message via AIM to Leetchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOrtmeyer41
he reminds me of a more skilled faster rico fata. He has no hockey sense at all.

You really think so?

I think Afinogenov's problem is finishing. I think he excels at most parts of the game -- skating and passing specifically -- but has trouble because his shot is not great. Compound that with the fact that he doesn't have a finisher's mentality and you have a player who "chokes".

If he could finish and played with a little more grit, he would be a very poor man's Havlat.

Leetchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2006, 10:33 AM
The Amity Affliction
Chasing Ghosts

They all thought that this guy was the 2nd coming of Pavel Bure. The sleekness and the speed. The silky smooth hands. The one thing that they didn't see was the fact that he CANNOT finish. If this guy could actually finish, he'd be the BEST goal scorer in the NHL, and I'm willing to put a lot of money on that statement.

I don't know what it is, I've seen him screw up on more breakaways this year than imaginable. This is guy that should be scoring at least 50 goals a year with the tools he's been given.

The Amity Affliction is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2006, 10:47 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretzNYR99
They all thought that this guy was the 2nd coming of Pavel Bure. The sleekness and the speed. The silky smooth hands. The one thing that they didn't see was the fact that he CANNOT finish. If this guy could actually finish, he'd be the BEST goal scorer in the NHL, and I'm willing to put a lot of money on that statement.

I don't know what it is, I've seen him screw up on more breakaways this year than imaginable. This is guy that should be scoring at least 50 goals a year with the tools he's been given.

agreeed, speed does not mean alot if u cant finish. Ask Rico Fata.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2006, 10:47 AM
Sens are like Whoa

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretzNYR99

In the same respect, you could say the same about someone who likes to shoot a lot... you'll see them take a lot of shots, but a lot won't go in.

I think because Afinogenov is so fast he has more chances and is therefore more noticeable by how many breakaways he gets. I know it's not exactly the same thing, but I definately wouldn't be writing this guy off... he has the ability to influence some great plays - I think if paired with an equally quick player with a better shot, they would be quite the wrecking crew.

Old
05-29-2006, 11:00 AM
Leetchie

Quote:
In the same respect, you could say the same about someone who likes to shoot a lot... you'll see them take a lot of shots, but a lot won't go in.

I think because Afinogenov is so fast he has more chances and is therefore more noticeable by how many breakaways he gets. I know it's not exactly the same thing, but I definately wouldn't be writing this guy off... he has the ability to influence some great plays - I think if paired with an equally quick player with a better shot, they would be quite the wrecking crew.

Trade to Washington?

Old
05-29-2006, 11:08 AM
Sens are like Whoa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetchie
Trade to Washington?
Ha, that's pretty extreme... Doesn't need to be a superstar.

Even paired with a player like Fisher - I would love to see them cruise up the ice at full throttle, and maybe throw in someone like Schaefer... I think that would gel nicely. But I'm living an Ottawa fantasy here.

Old
05-29-2006, 11:17 AM
Leetchie

Quote:
Ha, that's pretty extreme... Doesn't need to be a superstar.

Even paired with a player like Fisher - I would love to see them cruise up the ice at full throttle, and maybe throw in someone like Schaefer... I think that would gel nicely. But I'm living an Ottawa fantasy here.

Honestly, he's doing just fine. He had 73 points in 77 games this year, by far his career best (topping 40 in 81 in '02). If he could finish, he'd have 35 goals to go with his assists, but hey, we can't all be Mike Bossy.

He is what he is. A (very) speedy, offensively creative winger that lacks a finishing touch. He'll probably never be a first liner, but he's found a niche in Buffalo with that deep, speedy set of forwards (Drury, Briere, Connolly, Dumont, Hecht, Vanek, Roy, Pominville, etc). He just needs to be the playmaker and puck carrier on the line.

I wonder how he'd do with Yashin as his center.

Old
05-29-2006, 12:06 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

When it matters most you can count on Afinogenov not being able to finish for you.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2006, 12:39 PM
eco's bones

Max has always seemed to me a smaller--a little bit less talented version of Kovalev.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2006, 02:14 PM
Leetchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones
Max has always seemed to me a smaller--a little bit less talented version of Kovalev.

He's a different kind of player though -- more like a smaller, way less talented version of Pavel Bure. He skates like him and kinda stickhandles like him, but that's about it.

Kovalev isn't as fast -- his game is much more power-based. He's 6'2", 215 lbs and is a bull with the puck. He also is all about timing in his stickhandling, not sheer speed like Maxim.

Let's not forget Kovalev has one of the hardest shots in the NHL - be it slap, wrist, snap, or even the one-timer.

Old
05-29-2006, 02:17 PM
Fan-of-#9

Quote:
Honestly, he's doing just fine. He had 73 points in 77 games this year, by far his career best (topping 40 in 81 in '02). If he could finish, he'd have 35 goals to go with his assists, but hey, we can't all be Mike Bossy.

He is what he is. A (very) speedy, offensively creative winger that lacks a finishing touch. He'll probably never be a first liner, but he's found a niche in Buffalo with that deep, speedy set of forwards (Drury, Briere, Connolly, Dumont, Hecht, Vanek, Roy, Pominville, etc). He just needs to be the playmaker and puck carrier on the line.

I wonder how he'd do with Yashin as his center.
That's the bottom line. He is what he is. 73 points this season is very good for a player who doesn't even come close to top line minutes. People watch him and expect Pavel Bure type numbers, people need to realize he might skate like Bure, and he might look like Bure, but he is Max Afinogenov, not Pavel Bure. If he was a finisher he could be the most dominant player in the league, instead he can't finish well, and he put up 73 points and has been a big part of what the Sabres have done this year. I'm not complaining.

Fan-of-#9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2006, 02:18 PM
charliemurphy

Quote:
agreeed, speed does not mean alot if u cant finish. Ask Rico Fata.
How about asking Dominic Moore first? lol.

charliemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2006, 03:47 PM
BigCanada77
NYR in the Midwest

Send a message via AIM to BigCanada77
He's got great moves, but I gotta agree with JOrts on this one. He has close to zero hockey sense. I think his great moves are the problem, because he always tries one, even when the right play is something else. And defenders always know he's gonna make a move, so they get in close and dont let him operate. Plus, it is true that he has no finish.

However, in his defense, he can change the momentum of a game with one or two shifts, even if he doesn't score. When he gets going he seems to tilt the ice toward the other goalie. He was the leading scorer for Buffalo in the regular season, and was a key part of why i finished second in my fantasy league.

BigCanada77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2006, 04:08 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
He's a different kind of player though -- more like a smaller, way less talented version of Pavel Bure. He skates like him and kinda stickhandles like him, but that's about it.

Kovalev isn't as fast -- his game is much more power-based. He's 6'2", 215 lbs and is a bull with the puck. He also is all about timing in his stickhandling, not sheer speed like Maxim.

Let's not forget Kovalev has one of the hardest shots in the NHL - be it slap, wrist, snap, or even the one-timer.
Yeah maybe that's a little better although he'd be a little bigger and less talented Pavel Bure. He's comparable to Kovalev in that you look at him and wonder why he doesn't produce more with the talent he has.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2006, 05:36 PM
natureboy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleandshoot
Looks like Afinogenov might single handedly fullfill the prophecy of the Buffalo choke. Three break aways with nothing to show for it. The Sabres had every opportunity to win that game.

I do realize that by saying this I increase the liklihood he'll probably end up in NY next year.

He's a great player but where's the finish when it matters the most?

Maybe he was distracted by the BIG Breasts behind the Buffalo bench.
He never did well on breakaways. That's why he rarely was picked in the shootouts.

natureboy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2006, 09:33 PM
TheZherdev

Quote:
Afino reminds me more of straka. Speedy player who has problems finishing. The only similarity i see him having to fata is the speed. One was a boarderline 4th line roleplayer who has split time in the NHL and AHL the other is a legit 2nd line forward who can score (not as often as he should though).

TheZherdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2006, 09:38 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by natureboy
He never did well on breakaways. That's why he rarely was picked in the shootouts.
Maybe this summer he can go to the Sykora School for Breakaways, and work on it.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2006, 10:19 PM
Cherepanov 71

You will all proly eat your words next year...

Cherepanov 71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2006, 11:28 PM
WheresBarnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackburn2727
Afino reminds me more of straka. Speedy player who has problems finishing. The only similarity i see him having to fata is the speed. One was a boarderline 4th line roleplayer who has split time in the NHL and AHL the other is a legit 2nd line forward who can score (not as often as he should though).
Straka would probably finish more, if he didn't look to make an extra pass while he has the puck in the slot. 5ft from the goal line. I still like him in blue though.

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2006, 11:55 PM
The Amity Affliction
Chasing Ghosts

Quote:

In no such way am I writing him off, but he's a playmaker. Some guys were just great playmakers and terrible finishers... Adam Oates for example... I know he scored 40 goals a few times, but he was NOT a finisher. That guy could put the puck on the tape of your stick through 3 defenders without the slightest thought, but he couldn't thread the needle off of a pass and into the net. Some guys just don't have it in them, it's like you're born with it or not.

The Amity Affliction is online now   Reply With Quote