HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Wild future vs. Oilers future

Old
12-06-2012, 09:52 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

vCash: 500
Hfboards = Hockey's Future Boards. Not Grammar's future boards.

12-06-2012, 11:34 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

vCash: 16145
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
Because Pittsburgh couldn't afford Crosby, Malkin and Fleury (and the Oilers kids won't be as good as Sid or Geno).
3 Pitt players v 5 EDM players

Totally different argument.

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 12:24 AM
Minnesota
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
That certain systems can negatively impact certain players styles? Look at Ovy when he had to play a more defensive minded system. The trap isnt the best fit for playmakers.
Our coach Jacques Lemaire disagrees.

Again, welcome to 2012 where Dany Heatley is a team player and the Wild don't play neutral-zone trap style hockey.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 12:53 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
Because Pittsburgh couldn't afford Crosby, Malkin and Fleury (and the Oilers kids won't be as good as Sid or Geno).
Uh...

Crosby, Malkin, Fleury and Staal. Notice how Staal got traded?

BTW I see it kind of like Blackhawks. They had to totally destroy their team in order to get the team under the cap.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 01:35 AM
Vikingstad
**** the King

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
Uh...

BTW I see it kind of like Blackhawks. They had to totally destroy their team in order to get the team under the cap.
Staal didnt get traded due to cap concerns. He was coming to an end of his deal, and was likely going to head to Carolina anyways, so they dealt him ahead of time.

And Chicago has 35M tied up in their 6 Core pieces. Our core of high priced players is currently at a number of 5, and 2 are already locked up long term at 6m/year, with the others likely being around the same amount. Along with the fact that the cap will be increasing yearly, holding on to the core for the next 5-6 years atleast doesnt seem like a problem.

Vikingstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 01:54 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pravi83Oil View Post
Staal didnt get traded due to cap concerns. He was coming to an end of his deal, and was likely going to head to Carolina anyways, so they dealt him ahead of time.
I don't know. If they paid Staal a good amount of money for x amount of years, I don't think he would have split.

Quote:
And Chicago has 35M tied up in their 6 Core pieces. Our core of high priced players is currently at a number of 5, and 2 are already locked up long term at 6m/year, with the others likely being around the same amount. Along with the fact that the cap will be increasing yearly, holding on to the core for the next 5-6 years atleast doesnt seem like a problem.
You'll still need to get some veterans and a goaltender.

Old
12-07-2012, 05:07 AM
svat

oilers should be fine signing their big 5, and if they got some moneypuck players to fill the depth roles they will look AMAZING with that top end talent, but considering how god damn bad their management is I really doubt we are gonna see them do that.

it's easy enough to luck out into 3 first overalls, the problem is filling up the depth and incompetent management is gonna really bone them i think.

also eberle will look really overpaid once he starts putting up 55 points a year and gets paid like he puts 80 up a year

svat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 05:47 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
Quote:
I don't know. If they paid Staal a good amount of money for x amount of years, I don't think he would have split.

You'll still need to get some veterans and a goaltender.
You do realize that the Wild are the one's who are pushing the cap boundaries right now right?

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 06:29 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Reportedly they offered Staal the same contract as he eventually signed with Carolina. I think this was told by numerous sources.

I don't see the cap being too big issue, they could trade one of them just like PIT did with Staal and get pieces back who are still on their ELCs or like PHI did last year.

Many teams have 24mil tied up on their 4 best players like the Oilers would have if they get to sign RNH and Yakupov to that range.

LA is one of them.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 07:42 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Personally think it's the Wilds as much as the oilers are heavy favourites. Stars are great for a franchise but to win the cup you need key pieces that contribute in every area of the game, and IMO the Wild has that. Aside from High End talent they also have a great supporting cast and not to mention an excellent goalie prospect.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 09:29 AM
topchowda

Quote:
Uh...

Crosby, Malkin, Fleury and some defenseman named Letang?
Chicago has Toews, Kane, Seabrook, Keith and Hossa

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 09:30 AM
topchowda

Quote:
Uh...

How will Minny afford Granlund, Dumba and Brodin? They got 2 mammoth contract with Parise and Suter to deal with

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 11:02 AM
ThatGuy22

Quote:
How will Minny afford Granlund, Dumba and Brodin? They got 2 mammoth contract with Parise and Suter to deal with
Propbably use some of that 22 million opening up by letting Backstrom, PMB, Cullen and Heatley walk in the next two years.

ThatGuy22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 02:27 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Dumba won't probably need a contract until when? 2016?

Granlund could get what Heatley is making and Brodin could make what Backstrom is making and we're fine.

Heatley (7.5 million) is gone after 13/14
PM Bouchard (4.080) is gone after this year
Cullen (3.5) is gone after this year
Gilbert (4) is gone after 13/14
Stoner (1.05) is gone after 13/14
Backstrom (6 million) is gone after this year

13.58 million is cleared after this year

13 and some change after 13/14

So in the next two years 26 million is coming off the books to work with.

Brodin will need a contract in 15/16, along with Granlund, Coyle, Phillips and Larsson. Long time off.

RNH will need one in 14/15 and Yakpuv will need one in 15/16

Schultz will need one in 14/15 as well.

Old
12-07-2012, 03:22 PM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Dumba won't probably need a contract until when? 2016?

Granlund could get what Heatley is making and Brodin could make what Backstrom is making and we're fine.

Heatley (7.5 million) is gone after 13/14
PM Bouchard (4.080) is gone after this year
Cullen (3.5) is gone after this year
Gilbert (4) is gone after 13/14
Stoner (1.05) is gone after 13/14
Backstrom (6 million) is gone after this year

13.58 million is cleared after this year

13 and some change after 13/14

So in the next two years 26 million is coming off the books to work with.

Brodin will need a contract in 15/16, along with Granlund, Coyle, Phillips and Larsson. Long time off.

RNH will need one in 14/15 and Yakpuv will need one in 15/16

Schultz will need one in 14/15 as well.
EDM is now around 63 mil.

Horcoff (5.5) comes off 15-16, Hemsky (5mil) 14-15. As does N. Schultz (3.5). Whitney (4mil) and Khabibulin come off this year (3,75)

Yak and RNH already have 3,775 on cap because of bonuses. Same with Schultz.

They do have space, easy. It's all about how Tambo manages to build the team from here on forward.

Same with Wild and Fletcher who is looking pretty good after the Leddy trade. Actually very good.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 03:38 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
It's all about how Tambo manages to build the team from here on forward.
I think that's the biggest difference and the biggest challenge for both teams;

Minnesota has used free agency to net some big free agents (and trades), so they need to fill out their roster through the draft.

Edmonton has used the draft to build their roster, and will need to use free agency and trades to build out their roster.

While signing Eberle was great, I question Hall. Two seasons but he didn't play even 70 games. That is of some concern for a guy that is carrying a 6 million dollar cap hit.

Old
12-07-2012, 03:41 PM
ThatGuy22

Quote:
I think that's the biggest difference and the biggest challenge for both teams;

Minnesota has used free agency to net some big free agents (and trades), so they need to fill out their roster through the draft.

Edmonton has used the draft to build their roster, and will need to use free agency and trades to build out their roster.

While signing Eberle was great, I question Hall. Two seasons but he didn't play even 70 games. That is of some concern for a guy that is carrying a 6 million dollar cap hit.
Then good thing for Minnesota is that their prospect system is so deep, most of the players needed are already in the system to fill out their roster. And alot of them like Granlund, Brodin(prior to injury), Zucker and Coyle are showing that they may be ready now or in the near future(ie if there is ever a season)

ThatGuy22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 03:43 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
Not to mention RNH, J.Schultz, and Yakupov currently carry cap hits of close to $4M. If they get deals similar to Hall and Eberle's 2nd deals then you're looking at adding about $2M and change next year (for RNH) and again the following year (Yakupov). If there's no season this year, then Yakuopov's ELC isn't up until 16/17.

If you assume the same $6M second contract for Granlund, then the Wild are increasing his cap hit by almost the same amount as the Oilers would for both RNH and Yakupov combined. (albeit 2-3 years later in RNH's case).

12-07-2012, 03:58 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
Not to mention RNH, J.Schultz, and Yakupov currently carry cap hits of close to $4M. If they get deals similar to Hall and Eberle's 2nd deals then you're looking at adding about $2M and change next year (for RNH) and again the following year (Yakupov). If there's no season this year, then Yakuopov's ELC isn't up until 16/17.
True, that RNH and Schultz probably won't see as dramatic of an increase in their pay compared to Granlund, Minnesota already has a lot of their budget mapped out. Granlund and Brodin (and Coyle and Zucker) probably won't put much of a wrinkle in that.

Old
12-07-2012, 04:09 PM
Nsjohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafoofoo View Post
Clearly someone hasn't watched Heatley in his last year in San Jose and year in Minnesota.
Your talking about yourself there, aren't you? SMH, specially on the MN part.

Nsjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 04:15 PM
Nsjohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMantzas View Post
I'll take the Oilers for several reasons:

1. Zach Parise did not look the same after his injury. He looked a bit slower and not as quick with his first step. You also have to take into account that that the West is a lower scoring conference and Parise is not gonna be used to the insane amount of travelling (compared to the East). He'll still be a great player for the next 3-4 years

2. Blah, blah, blah Ryan Suter doesnt have Shea Weber anymore blah blah blah. Whether this is a legitimate gripe remains to be seen, but you cant tell me a pairing of Suter-Scandella/Spurgeon is gonna even come close in terms of effectiveness

3. The Oilers have the MUCH more proven prospects. RNH, Hall and Eberle have all proven they can be stars in the NHL. As good as Granlund, Coyle, Zucker etc. have looked, they havent proven squat yet.

4. I like the core of Hall/RNH/Schultz/Eberle/Yakupov/Gagner/Hemsky over Koivu/Parise/Suter/Granlund/Heatley (lol)/ Coyle for the next 5-7 years

The Wild will be better for the next 3 or so years, but I cant see either contending during that time
1) We will find out about Parises legs. Knee injuries are vicious.
2) You laugh at the Suter thing and fail to realize he might pair with Brodin or Dumba in the future, and Scandella is no slouch. Yeah, it ain't Weber. That was special (of course, I won't listen to you, I'll take those in Nashville who said Suter made Weber better.)
3) The Oilers have much more proven 'prospects'? I want what drugs you have. The Oils have some mildly proven (albeit, very good) NHL PLAYERS, not prospects. Those you listed for MN have not even played yet in the big league.
4)I think you came here to disguise trolling MN for signing Parise as talk about EDM and MIN. Good try.

Nsjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 04:23 PM
SMantzas
Church of Corsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsjohn130 View Post
1) We will find out about Parises legs. Knee injuries are vicious.
2) You laugh at the Suter thing and fail to realize he might pair with Brodin or Dumba in the future, and Scandella is no slouch. Yeah, it ain't Weber. That was special (of course, I won't listen to you, I'll take those in Nashville who said Suter made Weber better.)
3) The Oilers have much more proven 'prospects'? I want what drugs you have. The Oils have some mildly proven (albeit, very good) NHL PLAYERS, not prospects. Those you listed for MN have not even played yet in the big league.
4)I think you came here to disguise trolling MN for signing Parise as talk about EDM and MIN. Good try.:handclap:
You caught me......

Point number three is semantics really. I consider RNH, Eberle, Hall, Yakupov and Schultz prospects because theyre all so damn young. I should have clarified that, and I apologize for not adhering to HFBoards' definition of a prospect

SMantzas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 05:31 PM
P10p

Minnesota has been absolutely lights out with drafting since 2010 as far as we can tell. With that trend, considering we're talking about the future of the teams. I'm gunna say Minnesota's is brighter. Sure Edmonton can stack talent with consecutive 1st overall picks. What happens in say 3 years when they're not picking 1st overall. Can they actually build the rest of what they need through the draft? I don't think their drafting is on the level of Minnesota's. Nor is the current depth of their system.

If, and big if, Minnesota can continue to draft this impressively under Chuck Fletcher, Minnesota will be a powerhouse for years to come.

P10p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 07:00 PM
JamesRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by P10p View Post
Minnesota has been absolutely lights out with drafting since 2010 as far as we can tell. With that trend, considering we're talking about the future of the teams. I'm gunna say Minnesota's is brighter. Sure Edmonton can stack talent with consecutive 1st overall picks. What happens in say 3 years when they're not picking 1st overall. Can they actually build the rest of what they need through the draft? I don't think their drafting is on the level of Minnesota's. Nor is the current depth of their system.

If, and big if, Minnesota can continue to draft this impressively under Chuck Fletcher, Minnesota will be a powerhouse for years to come.
This is a point many people miss. Its easy to build a team when you take consensus #1 picks every year. How will they draft once they don't have that crutch?

JamesRanger is offline   Reply With Quote