HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 3.0

Closed Thread

Old
12-06-2012, 03:23 PM
Fozz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
herp derp

i dont care how strong you are when you are 5'9. he could 'maybe' grow to 5'11 - maybe... and the kid IS strong as hell. i see him as a possible ellis clone (nashville's ellis). which is great, not an absolute need for the habs.

still wouldn't waste our 2 top picks on him. that said, if timmins picks him, i'll do the jingle dance. more subbans is always better. i am high on him, but not high enough to pick him too early
Not drafting an Ellis clone in the 2nd round would be kind of ridiculous. Besides, you don't draft for need because no one knows how our current prospects will pan out and you can always deal good young quality d-men if you have too many of them. It was less of a need for the Preds when they drafted Ellis than it currently is for the Habs.

Old
12-06-2012, 04:31 PM
S Bah

When considering the Habs needs,one should recall last season's fiasco and the Habs being the cellar dwellers in their division.That tells a story of injuries,trades,coaching changes and finally a general house cleaning of their management.Now that sounds a lot like a team in disarray,which it was, but there remains many holes in their ship that need restoration.The Habs are in need of elite players to complement Galchenyuk, Pacioretty,Price,Subban,Markov and Cole,the last two will be nearing the twilight of their caeers at the end of their contracts along with Gionta and Gomez.Having four core group players,leaves quite a few openings for talents from the 2013 Entry Draft.Top Six talent being a priority,hopefully with size,there are a few players but not "Elite"talent. Gauthier,Mantha,Carrier,Bailey and Zykov could be candidates for the late 1st round or early 2nd round.Wennberg,Burakowsky, Buchnevich,Klimchuk,Dickinson,Domi,Shinkaruk, Lindholm and Drouin are smaller very talented options.Depending upon where the Habs draft position lies,is the biggest hurdle they have in acquiring an elite winger or two.The best outcome #1 overall would see the Habs draft Nathan MacKinnon with their only 1st round pick.With three 2nd round picks,I see the Habs choosing Alex Wennberg the Swedish Center,William Carrier Power Forward LW and either Anthony Mantha LW/RW or Frederick Gauthier C both Power Forwards.In the 3rd round possibly a big Defenceman such as Sam Morin or Keegan Kanzig both LD's or LW Anton Slepyshev.These choices will solve the offence,speed,top six talent and size problems all in one draft with picks left over for Timmins great fifth round choice yet to be picked.Hoorah Habs

Old
12-06-2012, 09:23 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 567
https://twitter.com/PatrickCaisse/st...74115904839680

Quote:
Bergevin, Audette, Boisvert et Timmins étaient tous au match Océanic-Phoenix ce soir... #Habs (via @sebastienlajoie)
The brass watching the Oceanic 2013 kids closely.

Old
12-06-2012, 09:37 PM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post

That should make all those that want size happy.

Old
12-06-2012, 09:39 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Watch the Bruins take Jordan with their 2nd. Then they'll have us beat in Subbans. :S

Old
12-06-2012, 09:58 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Watch the Bruins take Jordan with their 2nd. Then they'll have us beat in Subbans. :S
Thats one more reason we should draft him. Somehow I see him as some kind of Brian Rafalski.

Old
12-06-2012, 10:29 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
quantity=/=quality

Old
12-06-2012, 10:50 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Toronto must draft Subban, thus starting what will be remembered as the Trolling Age.

Old
12-06-2012, 10:54 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
Toronto must draft Subban, thus starting what will be remembered as the Trolling Age.
That would be absolute epicness

Old
12-07-2012, 12:54 AM
NewHabsEra*

Anyone saw the huge russian defenseman Zadorov play? 6"5 235lbs

Old
12-07-2012, 01:25 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
I wouldn't mind Zadorov in the mid-first round, he's a monster. He's not in the same league as Jones or Ristolainen but he's massive and stands out as far as stay at home defenders go in this draft. He's pretty damn mobile and skilled for his size too.

Old
12-07-2012, 02:21 AM
ChoseLa

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
Fred Gauthier i hope.

Old
12-07-2012, 02:55 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Watched the game between Rimouski and Sherbrooke.

Gauthier was solid and has very good anticipation. Creates offense from his defense, a bit like Plekanec and Couturier do. He will need to improve his first few steps and his acceleration, because it's a clear weakness in his game. He's not slow per say, but compared to Mantha for example, it's something he's missing. He's obviously strong defensively and I only caught him cheat once all night. He sent Oke on a breakaway on PK with a brilliant pass in the 2nd period, he displayed good vision on that play. He's an interesting option late in the 1st round, and could end up as a 2nd line shutdown Center. At 6'5'', he would fill a glaring hole we've been having for a while at center.

I liked Morin, even though he ended up the night -3. He was used in every situation and played an almost flawless game. He didn't lose many physical battles, with his 6'7 frame it's no problem I remember commenting on Tinordi and saying he skated good for his size, well with Morin it's even more fluid. Guy is very mobile and isn't scared to skate with the puck. He's not an offensive D per say, but he can contribute offensively. He rarely wasted the puck and his passes are most of the time on tape. He'll need to add strenght to his upper body, as his shot could get more velocity to it.

I've heard good things about Maxime Gravel but tonight wasn't his night. I didn't notice him much, and when I actually did, he was fumbling with the puck at the offensive blue line. He not big, but he looks stiff and solid on the puck. He was used on the PP and in 5on5, but as I said other than that I didn't notice him much.

Other Draft eligible players that were playing:

Lysenko did alright, no big hit last night as he's a nasty hitter, made a few clutch block shots late in the game to preserve the game. Guy can move the puck fine but it's not his most attractive part of his game. Could see him getting picked in the 5th or so round.

Desrosiers was strong in goal for Rimouski, small frame for today's standards in goal though. He was calm in his net and besides the GWG, the goals that went through him were very hard to save. Don't want him before the 4th round, or even later.

A guy who had a good night was Simon Desbiens for Sherbrooke, scored the first goal of the game from a nice pass by Tassi that sent him on breakaway. He's a fine skater with alright hands and a hard shot. He's not scared to go in traffic. While the numbers aren't there yet for him( it's his first season in the 'Q), he certainly had a good enough night to catch the eye of the Habs' brass. Won't necessarily mean much, as I'm sure he wasn't on their radar before the game.

Kamaev looked good, but I'm not sure he's the type of player we need with the Habs. More of a perimeter guy, fast skater and pretty good hands. But if we go the undrafted route from the 'Q, I'd rather see Bergevin look at Andrighetto.

Old
12-07-2012, 08:47 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
Fred Gauthier i hope.
We are missing a guy names Gauthier to blame everything on after all.

Old
12-07-2012, 10:44 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

I haven't been following this thread all that closely, What's the take on the Volt's Jerome Verrier? I was watching the game the other night and they said that NHL scouts are keeping a close eye on him after being passed over in the 2012 draft. Looked good in the game and I see he's leading the Volts in scoring, might be someone to keep an eye on.

As for undrafted players, Jeremie Malouin looked like someone that might be of interest to invite to camp for ECHL depth.

Old
12-07-2012, 11:25 AM
Ayatollah Chowmeini

Has anyone heard anything regarding Will Butcher in the USNTDP? I know he was being touted as a potential late-first but I haven't heard anything about him in a long time. He's the nephew of a friend of mine.

Old
12-07-2012, 11:48 AM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
Fred Gauthier i hope.
I also like Samuel Morin's pugilistic skills.

Old
12-07-2012, 02:58 PM
Vasculio
Booya !

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
Watched the game between Rimouski and Sherbrooke.

Gauthier was solid and has very good anticipation. Creates offense from his defense, a bit like Plekanec and Couturier do. He will need to improve his first few steps and his acceleration, because it's a clear weakness in his game. He's not slow per say, but compared to Mantha for example, it's something he's missing. He's obviously strong defensively and I only caught him cheat once all night. He sent Oke on a breakaway on PK with a brilliant pass in the 2nd period, he displayed good vision on that play. He's an interesting option late in the 1st round, and could end up as a 2nd line shutdown Center. At 6'5'', he would fill a glaring hole we've been having for a while at center.

I liked Morin, even though he ended up the night -3. He was used in every situation and played an almost flawless game. He didn't lose many physical battles, with his 6'7 frame it's no problem I remember commenting on Tinordi and saying he skated good for his size, well with Morin it's even more fluid. Guy is very mobile and isn't scared to skate with the puck. He's not an offensive D per say, but he can contribute offensively. He rarely wasted the puck and his passes are most of the time on tape. He'll need to add strenght to his upper body, as his shot could get more velocity to it.

I've heard good things about Maxime Gravel but tonight wasn't his night. I didn't notice him much, and when I actually did, he was fumbling with the puck at the offensive blue line. He not big, but he looks stiff and solid on the puck. He was used on the PP and in 5on5, but as I said other than that I didn't notice him much.

Other Draft eligible players that were playing:

Lysenko did alright, no big hit last night as he's a nasty hitter, made a few clutch block shots late in the game to preserve the game. Guy can move the puck fine but it's not his most attractive part of his game. Could see him getting picked in the 5th or so round.

Desrosiers was strong in goal for Rimouski, small frame for today's standards in goal though. He was calm in his net and besides the GWG, the goals that went through him were very hard to save. Don't want him before the 4th round, or even later.

A guy who had a good night was Simon Desbiens for Sherbrooke, scored the first goal of the game from a nice pass by Tassi that sent him on breakaway. He's a fine skater with alright hands and a hard shot. He's not scared to go in traffic. While the numbers aren't there yet for him( it's his first season in the 'Q), he certainly had a good enough night to catch the eye of the Habs' brass. Won't necessarily mean much, as I'm sure he wasn't on their radar before the game.

Kamaev looked good, but I'm not sure he's the type of player we need with the Habs. More of a perimeter guy, fast skater and pretty good hands. But if we go the undrafted route from the 'Q, I'd rather see Bergevin look at Andrighetto.
Thanks for your report !

Old
12-07-2012, 03:10 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I haven't been following this thread all that closely, What's the take on the Volt's Jerome Verrier? I was watching the game the other night and they said that NHL scouts are keeping a close eye on him after being passed over in the 2012 draft. Looked good in the game and I see he's leading the Volts in scoring, might be someone to keep an eye on.

As for undrafted players, Jeremie Malouin looked like someone that might be of interest to invite to camp for ECHL depth.
I know Verrier was far from a fan favourite early on this season as fans thought he was receiving ice time solely because he's the son of the President of the team(IIRC). But he has been scoring some clutch goals for them lately. He's shooting from everywhere and everything he touches seems to turn into gold lately. He has a strong shot, but is an average skater, he's a hardworker though. I don't honestly see much offensive potential as a Pro for him as he doesn't have the greatest hands either. Besides his shot, there's not one asset that stands out as a strenght. I'd rather see us look into a Clapperton, Andrighetto or a JC Lipon rather than Verrier.

Malouin is a character player, but he's another average guy in pretty much every aspect of the game. Alright skating, average hands, but he works hard and will do anything to win. Could see him play in the ECHL, maybe eventually the AHL, but not much further.

Old
12-07-2012, 03:11 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
Gauthier and Morin for their abilities & size for Rimouski,then Daniel Audette for his abilities not size.

Old
12-07-2012, 03:26 PM
Tim Wallach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post

I really like this kid. At first glance in September I feared he was just Boris Valabik 2.0 in that he was big, had a good wing span and a mean streak.

But now that I've seen him more, he's a lot more polished. He handles the puck well, makes an excellent clearing pass and has great vision. And he'll always be 6'5, 230 as well.

I know Valabik busted at #10, but I'd have no problem taking Zadorov at that pick.

Old
12-07-2012, 03:39 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wallach View Post
I really like this kid. At first glance in September I feared he was just Boris Valabik 2.0 in that he was big, had a good wing span and a mean streak.

But now that I've seen him more, he's a lot more polished. He handles the puck well, makes an excellent clearing pass and has great vision. And he'll always be 6'5, 230 as well.

I know Valabik busted at #10, but I'd have no problem taking Zadorov at that pick.
I like Zadorov as well but,I truly see a need for wingers in this draft to complement Galchenyuk & Collberg in the very near future.They can certainly use more size on the backend though,Morin or Kanzig from the WHL could also fill that need in a later round.

Old
12-07-2012, 03:41 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 567
BTW, Zadorov, Domi and Horvat are on Sportsnet tonight as the Knights put their mega winning streak on the line against Niagara.

Old
12-07-2012, 03:44 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
BTW, Zadorov, Domi and Horvat are on Sportsnet tonight as the Knights put their mega winning streak on the line against Niagara.
Thanks for the heads up Marc

Old
12-07-2012, 04:58 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Zadorov is a much better skater than Valabik.

Zadorov kind of reminds me of our own Jarred Tinordi, actually.

Closed Thread