Soccer Discuss leagues around the world and the World Cup

Euro 2020 to be Hosted Over Several Countries

Old
12-07-2012, 12:53 AM
guest1467

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
It's quite stupid. Take Garret's suggestion above which seems reasonable enough. Imagine a group of say Germany, Russia, Belgium and Slovakia playing in Berlin and Stockholm. Meanwhile Sweden, Spain, Portugal and Scotland are in the Madrid/Brussels group. So Belgian fans have to travel to Berlin for the Germany match and Stockholm for the other games then say Warsaw for a 2nd round match. Meanwhile Swedish fans have to go to Madrid and Brussels, then maybe Lisbon.

It seems pointless for all those groups of fans travelling around Europe erratically while games might be played in their home countries. In the CL, Bayern don't randomly go to play Valencia in Paris. If you don't want anyone to host it, just make it home and away legs and only host the semifinals and final in neutral cities. But then we already had exactly that up to 1980.
You do realize how easy it is to travel in Europe right?

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 01:22 AM
mmk786

I thought Turkey was willing to host the entire tournament. Why not let them do it?

mmk786 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 02:59 AM
jimmythescot

I knew we shouldn't have asked the welsh.

jimmythescot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 05:07 AM
Schalkenullvier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
maybe by NA standards, but it's much more complicated that just travelling to one country and be done with it. If I remember correctly, teams even stay at one place for at lest two of their group matches in the current format. If I have to book 6 flights instead of two that's a lot of money that could have gone into beer consumption

I'd also imagine the atmosphere will be a whole lot different.

Last edited by Schalkenullvier*: 12-07-2012 at 05:14 AM.
Schalkenullvier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 09:24 AM
HajdukSplit

vCash: 214
Another thing I read is that they will be willing to give hosting rights to nations like Estonia, Cyprus (for example) but they need to build new 40K seater stadiums. Those nations I think don't need a stadium that big ever outside of that probably one Euro game. Though I think this is just UEFA talking, a way to get everybody on board when we know the host stadiums will be the traditional London, Madrid, Berlin, Amsterdam, Paris, Rome and maybe a select few "smaller" cities

For example in Croatia they are now so excited they have a chance to host one these games (well more the federation rather than the fans) so they can pat themselves on the back for brining "Euro to Croatia". Problem is now they have to build a new stadium which will probably never be full unless the NT plays

HajdukSplit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 09:49 AM
TML g u n n e R s*
EDC 2013

Send a message via MSN to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Yahoo to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Skype™ to TML g u n n e R s*
this could really work.

TML g u n n e R s* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 11:08 AM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schalkenullvier View Post
maybe by NA standards, but it's much more complicated that just travelling to one country and be done with it. If I remember correctly, teams even stay at one place for at lest two of their group matches in the current format. If I have to book 6 flights instead of two that's a lot of money that could have gone into beer consumption

I'd also imagine the atmosphere will be a whole lot different.
It really isn't that much more complicated. Just like you would travel to different cities within countries, you are doing the same thing, except inter-continental. It's not like you are going to go to every game anyways? Most people don't do this.

I think the atmosphere would actually be pretty cool. Think of the amount of migration of all different types of Europeans moving from one place to another. It's like craziness everywhere.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 11:42 AM
vsk92
Alltid IFK

Quote:

I think the atmosphere would actually be pretty cool. Think of the amount of migration of all different types of Europeans moving from one place to another. It's like craziness everywhere.
Fans do this during the qualifiers anyway, I wouldn't be happy say Finland played group games in England but then quarter final is in Spain (highly unlikely but the point is that fans would rather stay in the one country and relax, instead of having to buy more possible flights and accomodation)

The old format is perfectly fine

vsk92 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 12:08 PM
Captain Saku

What's the difference between this and having the WC in a big country like the US? If they can manage to play every group in one neutral city this isnt a bad thing.

Captain Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 05:11 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

Quote:
It's inconvenient enough.

TheMoreYouKnow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 07:14 PM
Ceremony
Transcendence

vCash: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmythescot View Post
I knew we shouldn't have asked the welsh.
Do Wales even have anything besides the Millenium Stadium?

ďItís embarrassing. Iím embarrassed to be here right now. Itís not even funny. And itís just embarrassing, the way we, you know, the energy we have in the room and the way we approach practices and the way we approach this game. Itís not how youíre going to win any games in this league." - Jean-Sebastien Giguere, April 8 2013
Ceremony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 08:14 PM
Denzil
NOLU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceremony View Post
Do Wales even have anything besides the Millenium Stadium?
Cardiff City Stadium and Swansea's Liberty Stadium could easily be expanded.

I expect you'll see a lot of cities from smaller nations get games - like Glasgow, Helsinki, Copenhagen, Oslo etc. Nations that otherwise wouldn't be able to host.

Denzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 08:28 PM
vsk92
Alltid IFK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denzil View Post
Cardiff City Stadium and Swansea's Liberty Stadium could easily be expanded.

I expect you'll see a lot of cities from smaller nations get games - like Glasgow, Helsinki, Copenhagen, Oslo etc. Nations that otherwise wouldn't be able to host.
Hopefully

Old
12-07-2012, 08:46 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Its alot to digest, but my first thought is that I hope this format doesn't introduce more bad teams who automatically get in because they are a host team. One of the great things about Euro has been the quality of the field... but with more teams being added, and the multiple country format, that is quickly eroding.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 06:36 AM
ck26
#freeRabbit

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnish your Czech View Post

At least we won't see countries spending millions on building huge stadiums.
This.

I like in South Korea these days and it drives me crazy to see 50,000 seat stadiums in cities that need 15,000. The only countries in Europe that SHOULD be hosting 8-stadium tournaments are Germany, England, Spain and maybe Italy and France; everything else is a waste of money somewhere.

I don't know how I feel about this, but I'm curious. Let's see how it goes.

ck26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 07:26 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
It's quite stupid. Take Garret's suggestion above which seems reasonable enough. Imagine a group of say Germany, Russia, Belgium and Slovakia playing in Berlin and Stockholm. Meanwhile Sweden, Spain, Portugal and Scotland are in the Madrid/Brussels group. So Belgian fans have to travel to Berlin for the Germany match and Stockholm for the other games then say Warsaw for a 2nd round match. Meanwhile Swedish fans have to go to Madrid and Brussels, then maybe Lisbon.

It seems pointless for all those groups of fans travelling around Europe erratically while games might be played in their home countries. In the CL, Bayern don't randomly go to play Valencia in Paris. If you don't want anyone to host it, just make it home and away legs and only host the semifinals and final in neutral cities. But then we already had exactly that up to 1980.

In all reality, Platini didn't fancy any of the applicants for 2020 and realised this was an elegant way out of it. Hard to see why England or Germany didn't give it a go to be honest. I guess England figured it might ruin any chance of a World Cup any time soon but then that seems a huge pipe dream anyway given the anti-England sentiment Blatter has fostered in FIFA. Germany probably didn't want to compete vs Turkey who they try to develop as a "friend".
After the Olympics we have a lot less money and probably would struggle to get funding. Although I think we should've bidded for it. Saying that though. If it was between Iraq (Not that it would be but hypothetical for my point) and England. Platini would go Iraq.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 08:26 AM
Everlasting

vCash: 807
I think this is an AMAZING idea with great POTENTIAL. It all comes down to which cities the groups are playing in. Lets say a group consists of: Sweden, Germany, Denmark and Romania. Stockholm/Copenhagen/Hamburg isnt that far away from each other. You could narrow it down to 2 cities if you want to. If you are strategic about it, it does not have to be a bad thing.

Everlasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 08:43 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmk786 View Post
I thought Turkey was willing to host the entire tournament. Why not let them do it?
They're going for the 2020 Olympics and it's not viable to have both.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 11:42 AM
tobo

I wonder how much money fans whose team qualified for the second round will have to spend on airplane tickets, hotel, match and public transport. Last minute, the prices will be outrageous.

tobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 12:02 PM
vsk92
Alltid IFK

Also it may cause more fan trouble since it will be easier for hooligans

i.e. England fans who are banned from tournaments can just stay at home and fight away fans.

Last edited by vsk92: 04-19-2013 at 02:05 PM.
Old
12-17-2012, 04:43 AM
Bluebirds Boyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
My personal choices would be....

All seeded teams play all 3 group games in home nation
Agreed. Not only should the best teams get easier opponents and home advantage, they should be allowed five or six more players than their opposition. Maybe only have one goal, that should also stop those uppity li'l countries from getting in their way.

Hopefully, if all my proposals are put through, we can get the sort of Germany 18-0 Latvia games the public crave to watch.

Bluebirds Boyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 01:57 PM
vsk92
Alltid IFK

The Finnish FA have today decided to apply to host Euro 2020 matches in Helsinki, assuming the Olympic Stadium meets UEFA's criteria.
http://www.hs.fi/urheilu/Palloliitto...d7da7485de6ea8

Any other news about potential bids or news? I can't find much.

Last edited by vsk92: 04-19-2013 at 02:06 PM.
Old
04-19-2013, 02:11 PM
Schalkenullvier*

Germany's is Munich or Berlin IIRC. Hoping for Munich, although it should be Dortmund.

Old
04-19-2013, 02:51 PM
tobo

Are there any requirements? For example: is it allowed for a stadium to have an athletics track?

tobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 03:03 PM
Schalkenullvier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobo View Post
Are there any requirements? For example: is it allowed for a stadium to have an athletics track?
Berlin does have one and they were nominated, so in that particular case it's allowed. No idea about other requirements though