HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan O'Reilly Signs With Magnitogorsk (2-yr deal)

Closed Thread

Old
12-07-2012, 05:48 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinDIF View Post
The problem is that it feels like Metallurg wont accept that Ryan wants to leave they day NHL starts up, that they will point to a loophole that the Avs offer isn't financially better than the KHL-offer. Maybe.

It just feels like this will mean problem down the road... Hope I'm wrong though and I'm glad that Ryan will play in the second best league in the world during the lockout.
you are uninformed and have prejudices. That is your problem. As I wrote above, Ryan and Magnitogorsk think that it is better for him to play THIS season in KHL even if lockout ends tommorow.

Btw he will come to Magnitogorsk middle or late december.

Old
12-07-2012, 05:51 AM
RobinDIF
Size doesn't matter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
your are uninformed and have prejudices. That is your problem. As I wrote above, Ryan and Magnitogorsk think that it is better for him to play THIS season in KHL even if lockout ends tommorow.

Btw he will come to Magnitogorsk middle or late december.
If he stays in the KHL this season regardless about what happen in the lockout. Then of course everyone here will be very upset/sad.

Old
12-07-2012, 05:53 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
If he stays in the KHL this season regardless about what happen in the lockout. Then of course everyone here will be very upset/sad.
I see it but Ryan does not have to do what fans want

Old
12-07-2012, 05:59 AM
RobinDIF
Size doesn't matter!

Quote:
I see it but Ryan does not have to do what fans want
No, but I am just going after the information that you have told us.

Which means problems. For us.

Old
12-07-2012, 06:05 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
No, but I am just going after the information that you have told us.

Which means problems. For us.
for Avs it can be problem, but not for Ryan. The most important is interest of player not club. The player is not owned by club, he just works for club .. now for Magnitogorsk, maybe later for Avs or whoever. That is the life.

Finally, it is problem of Avs management that did not sign him.

EDIT
maybe off topic. Ryan signed in KHL, does not this mean that there is no NHL this season? so what lose for Avs?

Last edited by Frenchy: 12-07-2012 at 09:15 AM. Reason: edited an expression.
Old
12-07-2012, 06:13 AM
RobinDIF
Size doesn't matter!

Quote:
for Avs it can be problem, but not for Ryan. The most important is interest of player not club. The player is not owned by club, he just works for club .. now for Magnitogorsk, maybe later for Avs or whoever. That is the life.

EDIT
maybe off topic. Ryan signed in KHL, does not this mean that there is no NHL this season? so what lose for Avs?
And this is a Avalanche-forum. Not an O'Reilly-forum. Hence the disappointment.

Edit: We still dont know if we will have a season or not.

Last edited by Frenchy: 12-07-2012 at 09:16 AM. Reason: qep
Old
12-07-2012, 06:29 AM
Soedy

Boom what a shocker. Still, let's sign him even for 5 mio $. We should be way under the cap and he's our heart right now.

Old
12-07-2012, 06:29 AM
Landeskog The Viking
Duchene The Boss

wow hope he returns next year...

Old
12-07-2012, 06:31 AM
Soedy

Or does it might be a negotiating help?

Like he asked for 4 a year, avs wanted to give 3. If he signs with 3,8 per year with Magnitogorsk the Avs would have to give 4.

Old
12-07-2012, 06:36 AM
Lonewolfe2015

Let's be reasonable here and not assume the worst. I don't trust the KHL or its clubs as much as the next guy, but O'Reilly is the heart and soul type of guy that would never betray his team. His team is Colorado, not Magnitogorsk.

We'll see him back in the NHL when it resumes, one way or another.

Old
12-07-2012, 06:37 AM
Kshahdoo

I think it's a good move from him. First, he's get hockey for a good money. Second, he'll be playing with his brother. Third, he's got some leverages for the future talks with Colorado about new contract.

Old
12-07-2012, 06:41 AM
Soedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kshahdoo View Post
Second, he'll be playing with his brother.
Well this might be the key here aswell. When I think about it, he wanted to play with him. Magnitogorsk didn't want to have a lockout-contract. So he made this contract, knowing the Avs will easily match it.

Old
12-07-2012, 06:42 AM
ficohok*
Mrzim Kanadu !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
Let's be reasonable here and not assume the worst. I don't trust the KHL or its clubs as much as the next guy, but O'Reilly is the heart and soul type of guy that would never betray his team. His team is Colorado, not Magnitogorsk.

I have always thought that players are playing for money at first place...

Old
12-07-2012, 06:43 AM
RobinDIF
Size doesn't matter!

I would still love some clarification about if he can leave THIS season if NHL starts up again, or if it's 100% sure that this season the KHL will be his only destination. But in the summer Avs have to match KHL's offer to get him back to Denver.

Old
12-07-2012, 06:45 AM
Landeskog The Viking
Duchene The Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soedy View Post
Well this might be the key here aswell. When I think about it, he wanted to play with him. Magnitogorsk didn't want to have a lockout-contract. So he made this contract, knowing the Avs will easily match it.
Seems like that could be it. i sure hope so

Old
12-07-2012, 06:54 AM
Soedy

Quote:
I would still love some clarification about if he can leave THIS season if NHL starts up again, or if it's 100% sure that this season the KHL will be his only destination. But in the summer Avs have to match KHL's offer to get him back to Denver.
He can leave whenever the Avs match the offer. So he could play if there's a season.

Old
12-07-2012, 07:07 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soedy View Post
He can leave whenever the Avs match the offer. So he could play if there's a season.
not true. He can leave whenever Magnitogorsk agrees. OR he can buy out KHL contract whenever he wants. It is not like "KHL contract is terminated at the moment when he gets NHL offer (higher or same)" No it is not like this.

There is a scenario
1. He gets offer from Avs
2. He decided to sign it but he cant (he has KHL contract)
3. He is obligated to terminate KHL contract earlier, so Magnitogorsk must agree (dont have to, depends on will). Ryan has no chance to sue Magnitogorsk for "not terminating contract". Termination is based on the will of club and players. See no problem.
4. If KHL contract is terminated, he can sign with Avs (not do the same error as Prokhorkin )

Or he can skip point 3 and buy out KHL contract.

Old
12-07-2012, 07:12 AM
Lonewolfe2015

Or he could just leave the KHL and resume playing in the NHL, like what KHL clubs kept trying to get NHLers to do.

Whatever needs to be done, he'll be back with us when the time comes. I doubt we have a season anyways, so it's prolly moot.

E: Biggest thing I just realized, I am 100% sure he spoke with Sherman before signing this contract. No way he'd go to the KHL if Sherman didn't hear about this contract first. Which means I'm sure there is plenty of communication between everyone that O'Reilly will be back with Colorado when the time comes, but with the likely lockout this season won't matter.

Last edited by Lonewolfe2015: 12-07-2012 at 07:18 AM.
Old
12-07-2012, 07:20 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Or he could just leave the KHL and resume playing in the NHL, like what KHL clubs kept trying to get NHLers to do.

Whatever needs to be done, he'll be back with us when the time comes. I doubt we have a season anyways, so it's prolly moot.

E: Biggest thing I just realized, I am 100% sure he spoke with Sherman before signing this contract. No way he'd go to the KHL if Sherman didn't hear about this contract first. Which means I'm sure there is plenty of communication between everyone that O'Reilly will be back with Colorado when the time comes, but with the likely lockout this season won't matter.
No, it is not so easy. There is MoU among KHL and NHL. If a player has valid KHL contract, he can not sign in NHL (vice versa). Look at Prokhorkin, he had valid KHL contract with CSKA, signed with LA, NHL refused to register his NHL contract.

I still dont understand this discussion. Ryan decided to sign in KHL for 2years. He will play this season in KHL and wil decide next summer what he wants - KHL or NHL. Simple.

Old
12-07-2012, 07:30 AM
Lonewolfe2015

Quote:
I still dont understand this discussion. Ryan decided to sign in KHL for 2years. He will play this season in KHL and wil decide next summer what he wants - KHL or NHL. Simple.
The discussion is the fact that he wouldn't sign in the KHL if he were being held hostage to play there. Some people are curious of the terms to ensure this is the case.

Old
12-07-2012, 08:11 AM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
The discussion is the fact that he wouldn't sign in the KHL if he were being held hostage to play there. Some people are curious of the terms to ensure this is the case.
"Fact?" No, that's an assumption you're making.

Old
12-07-2012, 08:38 AM
Kschey
Avs/BorussiaDortmund

Quote:

EDIT
It might become a problem for Ryan as well in the near future if he really escapes to the KHL right now.
I am pretty sure he wants to be back with the avs very soon but the avs management and also other teams front offices won't like this move IF he really plans on staying in Russia although there'll be a season in the NHL.

Last edited by Frenchy: 12-07-2012 at 09:31 AM. Reason: qep
Old
12-07-2012, 08:44 AM
BoxOfChocolates

This only furthers my theory that Ryan's gonna get Drury'd out of town.

Old
12-07-2012, 08:48 AM
Avs71

Makes sense as it gives him more leverage in contract negotiations, if the season resumes. However, hopefully he realizes the Avs don't play hardball. Threatening to stay in the KHL would be a one way ticket out of Denver for him.

Old
12-07-2012, 08:53 AM
bohlmeister
$$ For Sale $$

Quote:

Considering "his team (Avs)" wouldn't give him a contract, I would say that Magnitogorsk is his team.

Closed Thread