HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Streams to games with Flyers' players during the lockout (Dec. 31 Bryzgalov update)

Old
12-04-2012, 01:27 PM
Krishna

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianRocket10 View Post
CSKA wins 4-1 with Bryz in net. I watched the second and third period and it didn't seem like he was tested very much. He made 13 saves on 14 shots. CSKA did a good job of defending in front of him and minimizing the other teams shots. The goal he allowed was one he probably could have stopped though. They also played the doop song after they scored their fourth goal.
I noticed this in another game bryz started. I think they do it as the goal song any time Bryz starts at home.

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 05:30 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1412
Quote:
Claude Giroux was wearing a Carleton Ravens sweater on the ice Wednesday, but that meant Philadelphia Flyers management and fans were breathing a little easier.

Giroux, the Flyers star centre who grew up in Orleans and starred with the Gatineau Olympiques, was practicing with the Ravens and fellow locked out NHL players; the first time he has skated since suffering a neck/shoulder injury while playing for the Berlin Polar Bears three weeks ago.

“I’m doing better, but it’s a process and I need to understand that,” said Giroux, who finished third in NHL scoring behind Evgeni Malkin and Steven Stamkos last season, scoring 28 goals and 65 assists in 77 games. “(Tuesday) was my first day back in the gym and today was just a little skate, some flow drills and stuff. It was good, and hopefully, it keeps getting better.”

Giroux was on the ice for the full 90 minutes of the spirited workout, but he’s making no predictions on when he might possibly be ready to return to action, whether that’s in Philadelphia (if the NHL lockout ends) or back in Europe (if the lockout drags on).
http://www.senatorsextra.com/main/gi...houlder-injury

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 07:13 PM
Cyborg LeClair
14 28 10 16

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Awesome news as far as I'm concerned. I hope if we have a season he's 100% on opening night

Cyborg LeClair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 09:41 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
READ COMING HOME: His timing is certainly interesting, given the apparent progress in NHL labor negotiations, but Flyers forward Matt Read is also returning to North America. Read, 26, collected 10 points in 8 games with Sodertalje in Sweden’s second division. His team thanked him in a press release, saying his compensation didn’t even cover his own costs to play there. Read netted 47 points in 79 games for the Flyers last season.
http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/f...ing-again.html

Source: Frank Seravalli @ The Philadelphia Daily News

Old
12-05-2012, 10:57 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
I've seen people saying these players are returning to avoid taxes over there, or something like that.

12-06-2012, 02:48 AM
kudymen
4, 15, 38 and 63

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Invictus View Post
I've seen people saying these players are returning to avoid taxes over there, or something like that.
Yes, as far as I know that's also the case of Landeskog for example. Staying in Sweden for a longer period of time would mean that such players would have to pay taxes not only from their income in Sweden, but also their property in Sweden, as well as in the USA/Canada/anywhere and their investments.

kudymen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 03:45 PM
kudymen
4, 15, 38 and 63

Tom Sestito has left Sheffield Steelers of the British hockey league and is rumoured to come and play to the Czech republic

Old
12-06-2012, 08:05 PM
MillerTime2181

Main board has a brief article on Pronger moving back to St. Louis....they are running with it as if his retirement is imminent.

MillerTime2181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 09:30 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime2181 View Post
Main board has a brief article on Pronger moving back to St. Louis....they are running with it as if his retirement is imminent.
The move to St. Louis was mentioned a few weeks ago. Bill Meltzer touched upon the Pronger situation today (Dec. 6) in his column on HockeyBuzz:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-...undup/45/47822

Quote:
* Chris Pronger: There has not been an official update on Pronger in several months. What is known is that the player continues to suffer from bouts of post-concussion symptoms, though reportedly there was some progress in terms of reduced frequency. He has moved back to the St. Louis area with his family. The chances of him being able to play NHL hockey again are virtually nil.

It remains to be seen if there will be any changes in the NHL's over-35 contracting rules and/or long-term injured reserve rules in a new Collective Bargaining Agreement.

In the now-expired agreement, Pronger's salary would count against the Flyers' cap if he were to announce his retirement. It would not matter that the retirement was due to a career-ending injury that had nothing to do with his age. In order to avoid his cap hit on their in-season cap, Pronger would have to remain on the roster. The Flyers would then have to place him on long-term injured reserve each season for the remainder of his contract, which runs through 2016-17.

There has been talk of an amnesty provision being part of a final CBA. If the over-35 rules remain unchanged, Pronger would be a potential amnesty candidate. I don't think the Flyers would use an amnesty option on Ilya Bryzgalov for the simple reason that Michael Leighton is the only other NHL-ready goaltender in the entire system right now. I'll discuss Bryzgalov's situation in the days to come following a lockout resolution.

Old
12-07-2012, 12:06 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

I hope Pronger is doing better so he can function well in every day life. I know he isnt coming back. I just want the guy to be able to do things that you can do in every day life without dealing with PCS issues.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 08:34 AM
klikkar

Quote:
Originally Posted by kudymen View Post
Tom Sestito has left Sheffield Steelers of the British hockey league and is rumoured to come and play to the Czech republic
God I hope not

klikkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 09:55 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by klikkar View Post
God I hope not
scared that there might be a player in your league that knows how to play physical?

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 11:47 AM
twistes wrista
Rookie User

wish nothing but the best for Pronger

twistes wrista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 03:04 PM
kudymen
4, 15, 38 and 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by klikkar View Post
God I hope not
well at least there would be someone for Ryan Hollweg or David Koci to play with

Old
12-07-2012, 06:47 PM
Hardnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by kudymen View Post
Yes, as far as I know that's also the case of Landeskog for example. Staying in Sweden for a longer period of time would mean that such players would have to pay taxes not only from their income in Sweden, but also their property in Sweden, as well as in the USA/Canada/anywhere and their investments.
foreign tax credit allows any taxpayers with overseas income to offset their foreign liabilities paid on their returns here, any overages in a european rate not accounted for in the lesser american rate can be written off as well as ordinary losses... taxes are not the reasons players on coming back

Hardnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 10:34 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardnell View Post
foreign tax credit allows any taxpayers with overseas income to offset their foreign liabilities paid on their returns here, any overages in a european rate not accounted for in the lesser american rate can be written off as well as ordinary losses... taxes are not the reasons players on coming back
No, it's a combo of insurance costing more than they make plus the realization that they are only over there keeping in shape for the NHL season, and it's fast approaching the point where we're either going to have some kind of shortened season, or no season at all.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 11:12 AM
Flukeshot
Holmgren activate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
First off, I'm happy to hear Giroux is skating. I also have never doubted his dedication to hockey and the winning with the Flyers. But this is a prime example of one of the things that annoy me about NHLers going to play in Europe during a lockout. I don't question their choice to do so, but if they do, they should be dedicated to that team at least while they're playing there.

Giroux was a member of the Berlin Eisbaren, he gets hurt, comes to the US for treatment and is now chilling in Canada. No idea if he returns to Berlin if he is medically cleared. The lack of dedication most NHLers are showing to their new clubs is disturbing. The double standard between them and the regular roster players is frustrating. At what point is the star-struck honeymoon phase over for European players and fans and the expectation becomes that these NHL players truly intergrate with the team?

If G was injured playing for the Flyers and the Org found out he was skating about a CDN CIS team they'd go berserk.

Flukeshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 11:47 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flukeshot View Post
First off, I'm happy to hear Giroux is skating. I also have never doubted his dedication to hockey and the winning with the Flyers. But this is a prime example of one of the things that annoy me about NHLers going to play in Europe during a lockout. I don't question their choice to do so, but if they do, they should be dedicated to that team at least while they're playing there.

Giroux was a member of the Berlin Eisbaren, he gets hurt, comes to the US for treatment and is now chilling in Canada. No idea if he returns to Berlin if he is medically cleared. The lack of dedication most NHLers are showing to their new clubs is disturbing. The double standard between them and the regular roster players is frustrating. At what point is the star-struck honeymoon phase over for European players and fans and the expectation becomes that these NHL players truly intergrate with the team?

If G was injured playing for the Flyers and the Org found out he was skating about a CDN CIS team they'd go berserk.
I'm not familiar with the particulars of locked out NHL players joining clubs in Europe but under a working CBA in the NHL, if an injured player left his team (Flyers) to skate and practice under similar circumstances as described with Giroux in the article (meaning mid-season), there likely would be a grievance issue, suspension, a hearing between all parties, etc. There is a Standard Player's Contract that would be in violation.

Old
12-08-2012, 06:56 PM
Yvanoe

Max Talbot will play for Fribourg Gottéron during the Spengler Cup in Davos.

http://www.gotteron.ch/news/details.html?tx_gotteronnews_gotteronnewsdetail[controller]=GotteronNews&tx_gotteronnews_gotteronnewsdetail[action]=detail&tx_gotteronnews_gotteronnewsdetail[news]=292&cHash=b0bfc693197f14cf5b84510d7d9cc1c7

Yvanoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 07:38 PM
Krishna

Not really relevant but

Maine VS Boston University is on CBS Sports. 732 on Comcast

Old
12-09-2012, 12:27 AM
Krishna

In interesting news, Ryan O'Reilly signed a 2 year deal with Metallurg MG.

Since he doesn't have an active contract, he isn't eligible for the nhl out clause. He and Metallurg MG have a 'non-binding verbal agreement' to terminate the contract if the Avalanche offer a better deal than what he's getting now.

Apparently the KHL doesn't allow outclauses in any other case other than the one they allowed for players with active contracts. Should be interesting

Old
12-10-2012, 11:24 AM
Melphiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flukeshot View Post

Hm, if G doesn't want to come back, we'd understand it, we don't think he'd have to stick around here in our circus DEL - sure we want him to come back and play with Brière again side to side (and we could need him again currently ... really bad) but our league is and stays a joke, a circus - we always hope pro euro league.
However, once an Eisbär, always an Eisbär!

Still I hope, he will come back, he can't leave his pal alone here ^__^

Oh edit: Here's a translation of what Peter John Lee, Manager of the Eisbären Berlin, said:
"I am in constant contact with the agent of Claude Giroux. Claude is now back fully fit and has started the ice training. He hopes to continue on a short-term agreement between the players' union NHLPA with the NHL and will train therefore once in Ottawa. If there'll be no agreement between the parties in North America, I'm assuming a contemporary return of Claude Giroux to Berlin."

Last edited by Melphiz: 12-10-2012 at 11:37 AM.
Melphiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 11:54 AM
Bure80

Would be cool if he could be back for the german "winter classic".

Bure80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 08:33 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 1050
Any body see Leighton played in a charity game with a bunch of other guys call Rockout with your Lockout? it explains the score 17-11

PALE PWNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 08:59 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
Any body see Leighton played in a charity game with a bunch of other guys call Rockout with your Lockout? it explains the score 17-11
No but NHL Network showed game 6 of the 2010 SCF's and the 2010 Winter Classic. Both ended in similar Leighton fashion.

FLYguy3911 is offline   Reply With Quote