HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Chris Pronger moves back to STL, career probably over

Old
12-07-2012, 12:02 AM
Leafs87
Mr. Steal Your Job

vCash: 500
sucks if try, one of my favourite players

Leafs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 12:03 AM
IComeInPeace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Liut View Post
St.Louis has some of the best suburbs in the US. Many, many athletes retire here.
I never understood how so many guys back in the 90's used to stick around the St Louis area after retirement, or want to go there via FA.
As luck would have it, I moved from Vancouver to St Louis for post grad studies in the mid 90's, and I would concur that the suburbs around the city of St Louis are great. In general it is a great place to live and raise a family.

I live in the Los Angeles area now, and I would say dollar for dollar, St Louis is a much, much better place to live and raise a family.

IComeInPeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 12:04 AM
Moses Doughty
LA's offense offends

As much as I hated him in Anaheim, great career he's had. Sucks it will likely end not on his own terms

Moses Doughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 12:18 AM
ck20

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Alfredsson View Post
Umm, have you ever stopped to think that what Pronger did to some players could have effected their lives for ever, obviously he wouldn't think twice about doing it, if the situation came up, he'd injure them.
Same way that a lot of stuff Ottawa players did could have ruined a person's life hockey (ie. Carkner's punch on Boyle, pretty much anything Neil does when he's on the ice). In the same way that a lot of stuff Ranger players did could have ruined a person's life outside of hockey (ie. Anything Avery related, Blackburn pummeling that Isles goalie way back when, anything Asham will do if we ever see him in a Ranger sweater). Your team is no more special than any other team, and no hockey player is some immaculate saint.

ck20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 12:24 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Good riddance, Pronger is a dirty A-hole and maybe all his attempts to injure other players are coming back to bite him, I hate Pronger.
Not to mention his other transgressions. Hear hear.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 12:34 AM
DuckJet
Destiny pls

vCash: 69
I won't say anything about this until it's official, but I hope it isn't true. He's one of my favorite players. I've had the good fortune to meet him several times, he's not a well liked guy league wide, but I think he's a real great guy. He genuinely cares about his fans, he's great with the younger fans and he's got a real strong interest in growing the game. I'm gonna be really sad to see him go.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 12:37 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
I won't say anything about this until it's official, but I hope it isn't true. He's one of my favorite players. I've had the good fortune to meet him several times, he's not a well liked guy league wide, but I think he's a real great guy. He genuinely cares about his fans, he's great with the younger fans and he's got a real strong interest in growing the game. I'm gonna be really sad to see him go.
Sure he does.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 01:04 AM
FightingIrish
Total Lak of Respek

vCash: 934
Retiring in St.Louis... Surely he must still be concussed.

Last edited by FightingIrish: 12-07-2012 at 01:35 PM.
FightingIrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 01:19 AM
MastuhNinks

Goodnight, sweet prince.

MastuhNinks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 02:02 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Oh yeah, knew he was done last season when he couldn't even go into the arena because of the noise. Sad. As much as I hated him as a player, and even though some may call this karma, none of us knew him personally well enough to say that he didn't play on the edge for his teammates.

12-07-2012, 02:05 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Hate to bring it up, how can someone 'retire' from the NHL and not be counted against the cap by being placed in the LTIR? Shouldn't this be a loophole that should be closed in the CBA for 35+ year contracts. Like if he isn't coming back, Philadelphia shouldn't have the ability to keep paying him but not have him count against the cap.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 02:08 AM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOML View Post
He should've never left, really. Silly lockout casualty.

TOML
Huh? Are you talking about the first lockout, when he left STL?

Never was a fan but never hated him the way a lot of people did. Lots of respect. Hell of a player.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 07:21 AM
octopi

vCash: 703
Quote:
Good riddance, Pronger is a dirty A-hole and maybe all his attempts to injure other players are coming back to bite him, I hate Pronger.
Sadly, this pretty much sums it up for me as well. Except I will dig down for my empathy and say I honestly hope he doesn't suffer from his severe PCS much longer. I wouldn't wish that on anyone, no matter how much I disliked them.

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 07:52 AM
Yobbles
Devils/Hawks

See ya Pronger.... good riddance.

Yobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 07:57 AM
RevUpThoseGolfCarts
Experts at losing

What a shame.

RIP

RevUpThoseGolfCarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 08:00 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Being a 35+ contract (and assuming the rules stay the same), Pronger's AAV will still count towards Philly's cap.
anyways, this sucks. Even getting him at such an old age, he's the best defenseman I've ever seen in O&B. I've never seen a player that can control the entire pace of the game when he's on the ice like he did. You never want to see a player retire because of injuries.

Seems as though the "C" in Philadelphia definitely stands for "cursed"

Last edited by slocal: 12-07-2012 at 08:48 AM. Reason: no need for that
RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 08:31 AM
lboogie42*

bye ****** bag

lboogie42* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 08:39 AM
Skraut

Not as good of an author as his brother, but a hell of a good defenseman. I'll miss hating him.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 08:48 AM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
Hate to bring it up, how can someone 'retire' from the NHL and not be counted against the cap by being placed in the LTIR? Shouldn't this be a loophole that should be closed in the CBA for 35+ year contracts. Like if he isn't coming back, Philadelphia shouldn't have the ability to keep paying him but not have him count against the cap.
He's medically unable to play in the NHL. If he wasn't, he'd play. Obviously he should be placed on LTIR.

Vikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 09:02 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
I appreciated his play on the ice but thought he came off as pompus off the ice. I never really heard anything intelligent out of him during those Cup finals press conferences in 2010, just a guy in a sweatshirt being an ******* on stage. Seeing the Hawks beat him and his team was awesome. That's how I'll always remember him, losing games and darting for the game puck.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 09:04 AM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikke View Post
He's medically unable to play in the NHL. If he wasn't, he'd play. Obviously he should be placed on LTIR.
I still have no idea why people get all up in arms about teams using LTIR. It's essentially a team's way of protecting themselves in the era of guaranteed contracts. Why should a team be hit with a penalty for trying to keep their players as long as possible? If you want to get rid of LTIR, then you have to give a team the ability to cut a guy if he's unable to play. It's how it's done in the NFL.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 09:08 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
I still have no idea why people get all up in arms about teams using LTIR. It's essentially a team's way of protecting themselves in the era of guaranteed contracts. Why should a team be hit with a penalty for trying to keep their players as long as possible? If you want to get rid of LTIR, then you have to give a team the ability to cut a guy if he's unable to play. It's how it's done in the NFL.
I don't have any problem with LTIR. What I do have a problem with is Homer making the biggest blunder of the cap era, getting a Cup finals appearance out of it, then sweeping it all under the rug like nothing happened. It was a 35+ deal. If it wasn't, I don't think anyone would give a damn.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 09:09 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Not going to miss some of his antics but was a good dman who did what he had to help his team win.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 09:22 AM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
I don't have any problem with LTIR. What I do have a problem with is Homer making the biggest blunder of the cap era, getting a Cup finals appearance out of it, then sweeping it all under the rug like nothing happened. It was a 35+ deal. If it wasn't, I don't think anyone would give a damn.
It's not as if this still doesn't hurt the Flyers though. They lost a number one defenseman that they still have yet to replace. The space also counts against the cap during the off season, which affects the moves that they can make. It's not like this has been completely swept under rug like you make it out to be. If there's an amnesty buy-out in the new CBA, you can be assured that the Flyers would almost certainly use it for the Pronger contract.

But you're right, the league should hamper a team for 7 years because of one freak injury that no one could have predicted. If anything, the 35+ rule is a bigger joke than LTIR. It stops teams from signing veterans because of this exact situation.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 09:26 AM
Philly85
Moody'

Good riddance, *******.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote