HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Official MLB Thread - Part VII

Old
12-06-2012, 11:14 AM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
He also had struck out 159 times 135 games.
Well no he didn't (108 in 122). But either way, strikeouts don't bother me much (again, compared to other outs).

Brian Boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 11:31 AM
NYR Viper

vCash: 500
At this point, Youkilis may be the best option and I like the fact that he can play both 1st and 3rd if need be. I still hope they find a way to play Nunez everyday. Time to give him a legit shot at a full season in the majors.

Still would be okay with Granderson traded and them signing Ichiro for a year or 2.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 11:37 AM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
At this point, Youkilis may be the best option and I like the fact that he can play both 1st and 3rd if need be. I still hope they find a way to play Nunez everyday. Time to give him a legit shot at a full season in the majors.

Still would be okay with Granderson traded and them signing Ichiro for a year or 2.
Two years for Ichiro? Please no...

I'll never understand the Nunez love anymore than the Granderson hate.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:50 AM
NYR Viper

1) It's not love for Nunez. I think his bat and speed can be a weapon for an old, slow team.

2) It's not Granderson hate. I actually like the guy and his play(minus his terrible BA last season) but I would rather maximize that asset now as I don't want them to re-sign him for 5-6 years after next year. For the same reason as the above, I wouldn't be against the Rangers moving Gaborik after this season if they feel they won't/can't re-sign him.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:58 AM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

Quote:
1) It's not love for Nunez. I think his bat and speed can be a weapon for an old, slow team.

2) It's not Granderson hate. I actually like the guy and his play(minus his terrible BA last season) but I would rather maximize that asset now as I don't want them to re-sign him for 5-6 years after next year. For the same reason as the above, I wouldn't be against the Rangers moving Gaborik after this season if they feel they won't/can't re-sign him.
Not necessarily from you, but within the Yankees fan community there is a strong Granderson hate and Nunez love.

And I think Nunez' bat is the most overstated thing since pre-sliced bread (I like really thick slices). IMO definitely not enough considering he's such a hack defensively. Side note: I actually think there's a decent chance he could be a good OFer if he actually had a decent amount of practice there.

And on Granderson, I agree I don't want to sign him to a long-term deal going into his age 33 season. I think the best use of the asset would be to keep him in the lineup for one season and take the draft pick compensation when he leaves as a free agent.

Old
12-06-2012, 12:01 PM
McDonaghisGod
Why not us?

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
And what is it about Granderson that makes that the case?
The guy strikes out in his sleep. You can't have .230 hitters in the middle of your lineup in the postseason. That is a recipe for disaster. The guy was an automatic out.

McDonaghisGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 12:11 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeetchisGod View Post
The guy strikes out in his sleep. You can't have .230 hitters in the middle of your lineup in the postseason. That is a recipe for disaster. The guy was an automatic out.
He's not a .230 hitter. That's his career low in batting average.

He was an easy out. So were Cano, Swisher, Chavez, and A-Rod. Every year there's going to be someone who slumps in the playoffs. Prior to this season Granderson was a .267 hitter with a .898 OBP in the playoffs.

There's nothing inherent about Granderson that precludes him from succeeding in the playoffs.

Old
12-06-2012, 12:21 PM
McDonaghisGod
Why not us?

Quote:

He was an easy out. So were Cano, Swisher, Chavez, and A-Rod. Every year there's going to be someone who slumps in the playoffs. Prior to this season Granderson was a .267 hitter with a .898 OBP in the playoffs.

There's nothing inherent about Granderson that precludes him from succeeding in the playoffs.
Yes there is. He can't hit off speed pitches. You think quality pitchers can't figure that out. Detroit knew that and you saw the result.

Old
12-06-2012, 12:25 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

Quote:
Yes there is. He can't hit off speed pitches. You think quality pitchers can't figure that out. Detroit knew that and you saw the result.
Why the previous postseason success then? Did pitchers not have breaking balls then?

Old
12-06-2012, 12:34 PM
McDonaghisGod
Why not us?

Quote:
Why the previous postseason success then? Did pitchers not have breaking balls then?
You call hitting .267 success? I don't.

Old
12-06-2012, 12:36 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

Quote:
Not in itself. Evaluating players solely on batting average is for the cavemen. When your OBP is .364 and you're slugging .535 I would call it a success.

Old
12-06-2012, 12:45 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Not on it's own. But with an OPS over .900? Uh, yeah. Are we really looking at BA as the most important stat a hitter posts? I really thought we were past that, even the anti-sabre community.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 12:54 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:

ARod isn't going anywhere. Texeira, while he walks at a good clip, is a home-run hitter primarily at this point and it doesn't look like it is going to change. Cano is a good hitter when he wants to be.

Granderson is more in the mold of Texeira than Cano. IMO you can't succeed with (3) hitters (Texeira, Arod, Granderson) who are swing for the fences type of hitters in the middle of your line-up. One should go. Tex and ARod are practically immovable.

Old
12-06-2012, 01:00 PM
McDonaghisGod
Why not us?

Quote:
ARod isn't going anywhere. Texeira, while he walks at a good clip, is a home-run hitter primarily at this point and it doesn't look like it is going to change. Cano is a good hitter when he wants to be.

Granderson is more in the mold of Texeira than Cano. IMO you can't succeed with (3) hitters (Texeira, Arod, Granderson) who are swing for the fences type of hitters in the middle of your line-up. One should go. Tex and ARod are practically immovable.
Agree completely. Tex was a more well rounded hitter before Kevin Long corrupted him. Granderson also has the most trade value of that group so it makes sense to move him and apparently the Yankees agree because they're shopping him.

Old
12-07-2012, 04:12 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
Where will Dickey go?

For Mets fans sake hopefully Kansas City with Wil Myers going the other way.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 08:06 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
For Mets fans sake hopefully Kansas City with Wil Myers going the other way.
From what I've read they'd only do Myers in a deal for Niese, not Dickey. And that they'd expect the Mets to add. The rumor yesterday was that they wanted Niese and Wheeler, which is never going to happen.

Today the rumors are that Texas would do Olt for Dickey. I'd be just fine with that.

I have no desire to move Niese.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 08:18 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

the real problem with the yankees last post season was Cano going ice cold in the playoffs. he was our best hitter and we got nothing from him. nobody wants to put any blame on him, and frankly its ridiculous that so few ppl comment on it. If Cano starts hitting at his usual clip, everyone around him gets to see better pitches.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 08:36 AM
NYR Viper

I realize Cano had a terrible Fall. But I am more confident in him turning it around than Granderson, Texeira or ARod. The team needs to be revamped. They are too slow and one-dimensional and with Gardner out last year it was painfully evident. The team was built to win one way, home-run, and that was it.

I like the pitching staff that is slated for next year. I don't like the line-up at all. Especially with Jeter, the Yankees most consistent hitter, coming off a major injury at 38-39 years old. I am all about putting pressure on the other team. The Yankees rarely do that.

Old
12-07-2012, 08:56 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
I realize Cano had a terrible Fall. But I am more confident in him turning it around than Granderson, Texeira or ARod. The team needs to be revamped. They are too slow and one-dimensional and with Gardner out last year it was painfully evident. The team was built to win one way, home-run, and that was it.

I like the pitching staff that is slated for next year. I don't like the line-up at all. Especially with Jeter, the Yankees most consistent hitter, coming off a major injury at 38-39 years old. I am all about putting pressure on the other team. The Yankees rarely do that.
Yeah, and i don't necessarily disagree with all this...but im wondering how many of everyone elses problems were at least in part due to everyone else also failing.

if everyone not named Ibanez is not hitting, then you really shouldnt have any scapegoats imho. you either tip your hat to the opposition, blame the hitting coach, or just accept the fact that everyone got ice cold at the same time...which happens multiple times during a season, and unfortunately, happened for this entire team for the entire playoffs (including the first series)

i dont think the problem is our hitting coach to be honest. not with how many runs we put up year after year.

i do think we've gotten too slow and home run happy though. which is why i think trading Granderson, a guy who can do both, would be a mistake. Tex is slow, a-rod is slow. those 2 guys are problems if they dont have a high OPS.

Old
12-07-2012, 09:14 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
Yeah, and i don't necessarily disagree with all this...but im wondering how many of everyone elses problems were at least in part due to everyone else also failing.

if everyone not named Ibanez is not hitting, then you really shouldnt have any scapegoats imho. you either tip your hat to the opposition, blame the hitting coach, or just accept the fact that everyone got ice cold at the same time...which happens multiple times during a season, and unfortunately, happened for this entire team for the entire playoffs (including the first series)

i dont think the problem is our hitting coach to be honest. not with how many runs we put up year after year.

i do think we've gotten too slow and home run happy though. which is why i think trading Granderson, a guy who can do both, would be a mistake. Tex is slow, a-rod is slow. those 2 guys are problems if they dont have a high OPS.
I agree that is was like "The Perfect Storm" in the playoffs but my main issue is that Tex and ARod aren't going anywhere. I would imagine Jeter will not be the same when he comes back. Granderson will most likely have to walk next off-season so I would rather gain some assets, sign a stop-gap who can increase the speed and versatility this team has and go from there.

Granderson has decent speed. My problem with him is he continually was swinging for the fences. Both he and Tex hit into the shift almost every at bat and it is maddening to watch.

Old
12-07-2012, 09:31 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

I keep hearing the Yankees are shopping Granderson. Don't be surprised they sign Hamilton if they can do the trade.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 10:01 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
I keep hearing the Yankees are shopping Granderson. Don't be surprised they sign Hamilton if they can do the trade.
That doesn't make any sense. If the Yankees are concerned about the luxury tax, they're trading Granderson and then signing Hamilton.

12-07-2012, 10:08 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
That doesn't make any sense. If the Yankees are concerned about the luxury tax, they're trading Granderson and then signing Hamilton.
i think ive read somewhere they can sign all their players and get the number they are trying to reach as long as they dont add anything else...this is with granderson, hughes, and cano being re-upped (but Pettitte not)

so if you pay hamilton what youd pay granderson, and trade granderson for cost controlled guys who are upgrades elsewhere, its not a bad move.

Old
12-07-2012, 10:51 AM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

Quote:
I realize Cano had a terrible Fall. But I am more confident in him turning it around than Granderson, Texeira or ARod.
Why would Granderson and Texeira not be able to "turn it around"? A-Rod, I can understand.

Quote:
I am all about putting pressure on the other team. The Yankees rarely do that.
What exactly do you mean by putting pressure on the other team? I would have a hard time with any definition that says the offense that was second in runs and OBP in the major league isn't putting pressure on the other team.

Quote:
Granderson will most likely have to walk next off-season so I would rather gain some assets, sign a stop-gap who can increase the speed and versatility this team has and go from there.
I have no idea who that stop gap would be. The free agent market is bleak.

Quote:
Granderson has decent speed. My problem with him is he continually was swinging for the fences. Both he and Tex hit into the shift almost every at bat and it is maddening to watch.
Now that's not fair, Granderson struck out in 1/3 of his at-bats so he couldn't have hit into the shift that much...

Old
12-07-2012, 10:58 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

I hated both these guys because of the teams they played for but they are gamers and I'd welcome Youkilis and AJ with open arms. Youkilis will have a bounce back year; gut feeling.

Hamilton is not an all around hitter. He can slump, he can swing through the off speed. I'm not a fan of his to be honest. I wouldn't complain if he was on the yankees IF they were to get rid of granderson as a trade off, but to me it would be no different. In fact your losing a "healthier" player with more speed. They both can't hit the off speed really at all unless its a mistake pitch.

RGY is online now   Reply With Quote