HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Lockout Thread 2: Deal reached in early morning hours

Closed Thread

Old
12-07-2012, 07:27 AM
BobbyJet

vCash: 500
I know many love to hate Bettman but it is very obvious who is committed to the game here and who has their own agenda. I’m sick of watching Fehr’s passive aggressive calmness, lying through his teeth, while he leads the naive players over a cliff.

IMO, the only way this season gets saved is for the players go back with their tail between their legs and ask the NHL if they can work off of Wednesday’s proposal. Get it back on the table, go for a few minor tweaks and then vote on it … and don’t forget to throw Fehr under the bus afterwards.

Old
12-07-2012, 07:45 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
I know many love to hate Bettman but it is very obvious who is committed to the game here and who has their own agenda. I’m sick of watching Fehr’s passive aggressive calmness, lying through his teeth, while he leads the naive players over a cliff.

IMO, the only way this season gets saved is for the players go back with their tail between their legs and ask the NHL if they can work off of Wednesday’s proposal. Get it back on the table, go for a few minor tweaks and then vote on it … and don’t forget to throw Fehr under the bus afterwards.
i don't think bettman's committed to the game. i think bettman is just as bad as fehr and their press conferences yesterday were equally heinous.

things were going better with both in the background...they should go back to that.

Old
12-07-2012, 08:34 AM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
i don't think bettman's committed to the game. i think bettman is just as bad as fehr and their press conferences yesterday were equally heinous.

things were going better with both in the background...they should go back to that.
Bettman wasn't at the hotel until after the meetings were over. Fehr was involved.

Old
12-07-2012, 08:41 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingo View Post
I think it's safe to say that this season is pretty much done.
Not a chance.

Old
12-07-2012, 09:19 AM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksFan74 View Post
The small market owners have too much of a say here. Don't want, don't give them is not a valid stance here. Somebody is going to give them when other team's can't afford to. I don't really agree with this. I think the cap on how contracts fluctuate is good enough. There is a hard cap. Some of these teams are not going to make it either way. Why bend over for them?
What teams don't give them? Big market teams like the Wings and Hawks do, small market teams like the Islanders and Blue Jackets give them. Everyone gives them. This is owners saying we are stupid, please save us from ourselves.

Old
12-07-2012, 09:34 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
I think much of the owners wishes to limit contract lengths stems from insurance companies not wanting to cover really long ones.

But I think that just putting the variance rules in to get rid of the backdiving deals would do that on its own.

Old
12-07-2012, 09:35 AM
BobbyJet

/\ True enough, but at he risk of stating the obvious: Why do you think the NHLPA want this so badly? It’s catering to the upper echelon of players who will typically demand 10+ year contracts from a given team or threaten to go elsewhere to sign. Owner’s hand is forced. Short of collusion which is technically illegal, that’s the only way to enforce those ridiculously long contracts.

You can't blame players for seeking the security, but this is clearly milking the system for everything they can get. AKA Greed!

Old
12-07-2012, 09:36 AM
RayP

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
Not a chance.
I don't know man, we're knocking on the door of Christmas already, and don't really have much reason to think they're on the verge of a deal. Something has to get done immediately, because I just don't see them doing a 20 game season, or having the season last till late July... and they're getting close to blowing the possibility 1/2 season.

Old
12-07-2012, 10:05 AM
Blue Liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
I don't know man, we're knocking on the door of Christmas already, and don't really have much reason to think they're on the verge of a deal. Something has to get done immediately, because I just don't see them doing a 20 game season, or having the season last till late July... and they're getting close to blowing the possibility 1/2 season.
Agreed. Anyone know the date they started in '94? I gotta think starting games by January 1st-ish is the absolute latest it will happen, and given how far apart the two sides seems today are they going to come together that much in a matter of three weeks to get that done? I'm pretty skeptical.

Old
12-07-2012, 10:09 AM
RayP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Liner View Post
Agreed. Anyone know the date they started in '94? I gotta think starting games by January 1st-ish is the absolute latest it will happen, and given how far apart the two sides seems today are they going to come together that much in a matter of three weeks to get that done? I'm pretty skeptical.
From Wiki:

Duration January 20 – June 24, 1995
Number of games 48

For the record, June 24th was the last Cup game... Devils swept the Wings in 4.

Old
12-07-2012, 10:11 AM
Illinihockey

05 got cancelled in February I believe. So they probably have a month to save the season.

Old
12-07-2012, 10:12 AM
Blue Liner

Quote:
From Wiki:

Duration January 20 – June 24, 1995
Number of games 48

Ok so I stand corrected. Looking at three more weeks than I thought. I'm still skeptical but that's at least seemingly more realistic and reasonable something could get done and still have a respectable season. Pretty late for the season to end, but, oh well.

Old
12-07-2012, 10:26 AM
hockeydoug

Quote:
Damn you Kozlov, that OT game and 2 more wins and the Hawks would have made for a better final.

I still need the Hawks to beat Detroit in a playoff series to get rid of that memory. It was bad enough to see Detroit win, it was worse because they got swept.

Old
12-07-2012, 11:00 AM
Illinihockey

If we miss another season I wonder if it signals the death knell of teams like Phoenix, Columbus, and the Islanders. I just don't see fans coming back for teams like that.

Old
12-07-2012, 11:03 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Probably. It's something that needs to happen, at the very least with Phoenix. I don't think it would be a good idea to pull the plug on CBJ. It is still early, they've always sucked but are looking better and I think they have decent fan support despite how bad it has been.

Old
12-07-2012, 11:03 AM
RayP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Liner View Post
Ok so I stand corrected. Looking at three more weeks than I thought. I'm still skeptical but that's at least seemingly more realistic and reasonable something could get done and still have a respectable season. Pretty late for the season to end, but, oh well.
Same here... I do wonder how quickly they could get a season started at this point, if/when they do come to an agreement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
If we miss another season I wonder if it signals the death knell of teams like Phoenix, Columbus, and the Islanders. I just don't see fans coming back for teams like that.
It could be... honestly, I don't want to see the league have to contract, but it might be necessary. I'm not sure all these relocations would be a great idea. When do you ever see a sport move teams around so often this day in age?

Old
12-07-2012, 11:21 AM
Cullksinikers

Old
12-07-2012, 11:45 AM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Quote:
What teams don't give them? Big market teams like the Wings and Hawks do, small market teams like the Islanders and Blue Jackets give them. Everyone gives them. This is owners saying we are stupid, please save us from ourselves.
To some extent. The owners want to limit their exposure to their own mistakes. They have to give them in order to compete for the top FA's. Every other league pretty much did the same thing with contracts during labor disputes. I don't know if the insurance excuse is valid.

I just don't understand how this is the hang up on a deal at this point.

Old
12-07-2012, 11:50 AM
BobbyJet

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Probably. It's something that needs to happen, at the very least with Phoenix. I don't think it would be a good idea to pull the plug on CBJ. It is still early, they've always sucked but are looking better and I think they have decent fan support despite how bad it has been.
The question of losing franchises was posed to Bettman in the news conference yesterday. He didn’t respond directly but obviously there is a big concern there. I wonder if the players have even considered the fact that revenues are going to suffer significantly no matter what happens now, and that 60 player’s jobs could very easily be lost with franchises folding up. Fehr talks like he cares about the game but he has carefully spoon fed and shaped the player’s perspective and manipulated the facts in many cases. The group think mentality that we have seen in public is short sighted on many fronts. Some players haved spewed off about Bettman treating them like idiots, and yet don't seem to see what's going on right under their collective noses.

Old
12-07-2012, 11:50 AM
Hawkaholic

Time for Crosby, Toews, Stamkos etc to sign over seas.

Old
12-07-2012, 12:00 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Mildly surprised that they haven't already, tbqh. If I were of their caliber, I would've signed with the Swiss league ages ago. Good competition level, great place to live, and no grueling traveling like is the case for the KHL.

Old
12-07-2012, 12:03 PM
Sarava

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeydoug View Post
Damn you Kozlov, that OT game and 2 more wins and the Hawks would have made for a better final.

I still need the Hawks to beat Detroit in a playoff series to get rid of that memory. It was bad enough to see Detroit win, it was worse because they got swept.
The Hawks swept Detroit in 92 enroute to the SCF. That's my biggest memory of Hawks vs. Wings in the playoffs.

Old
12-07-2012, 12:11 PM
Blue Liner

That Kozlov OT game is still my biggest memory, unfortunately. That my earliest memory of feeling truly hurt by a season ending. I was bummed in the Cup Finals against Pittsburgh but I was just too young to be really be emotionally vested. That Detroit series was the first time I felt the physical and mental pain of a sports team you love losing.

Old
12-07-2012, 12:43 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
The owners cancelled the talks and said year limits would "be the hill they die on"....it's the owners that give these freaking deals. If you don't want them, don't give them. It's a small concession and the owners are going to lose a season over it
Insurance now only covers 5 years (thought it was 7 but was wrong)

Thus why it is important to owners to end these longterm deals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
Time for Crosby, Toews, Stamkos etc to sign over seas.
If Toews suffer another concussion then Wirtz should move to terminate his contract with Hawks (Which he can do in event a player gets hurt playing overseas)

Old
12-07-2012, 12:44 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Mildly surprised that they haven't already, tbqh. If I were of their caliber, I would've signed with the Swiss league ages ago. Good competition level, great place to live, and no grueling traveling like is the case for the KHL.
To insure alot of these big names they have to shell out alot of money

Cost to insure Crosby is 400k (Crosby would have to pay 400k to protect himself)

Closed Thread