HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

The Luongo Thread - "Make it stop, make it stop!"

Closed Thread

Old
12-07-2012, 07:36 AM
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV

vCash: 5100
Jeff Carter for Sean Couturier and Jakub Voracek.

Who won that trade?

I don't mind if we're not getting a better player than Luongo back. As long as there are 2-3 pieces that are very likely to become impact players, I think we're better off trading him.

Old
12-07-2012, 07:49 AM
kthsn

vCash: 1785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post

Who won that trade?
It's very unlikely that a 1st turns out to be better than the star player in the first few seasons.

The Seguin/Cout standard is the exception not the rule.

Old
12-07-2012, 08:35 AM
DJOpus

vCash: 500
Quote:

Who won that trade?

I don't mind if we're not getting a better player than Luongo back. As long as there are 2-3 pieces that are very likely to become impact players, I think we're better off trading him.
The Kings.

If we made that trade, we would have won it.

If CBJ had a goalie, they likely would have won that trade.

Old
12-07-2012, 08:36 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
So what CC is saying is that we will win the Cup if we trade Luongo, but we won't if we keep him? What happens if we trade Luongo and Schneider gets injured? funny arguments are funny.

Old
12-07-2012, 08:56 AM
racerjoe

I can't believe I have read the last few pages, plus the last bit of the last thread. Why do I put myself through this torture?

Ok, first its simple, the Canucks NEVER NEED TO trade Luongo. At some point it might be in their best interest to do so, but anything on this is just speculation.

Case in point anything saying luongo may become a distraction or whatever. It may become true, but at this moment there is nothing to support it.

Cap implications... right now decertification has as much of a chance as anything else then there is no cap.

So here it is, at this moment, why trade for anything less than what helps you.

Old
12-07-2012, 09:39 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerjoe View Post
I can't believe I have read the last few pages, plus the last bit of the last thread. Why do I put myself through this torture?

Ok, first its simple, the Canucks NEVER NEED TO trade Luongo. At some point it might be in their best interest to do so, but anything on this is just speculation.

Case in point anything saying luongo may become a distraction or whatever. It may become true, but at this moment there is nothing to support it.

Cap implications... right now decertification has as much of a chance as anything else then there is no cap.

Simple answer that I learned in the last thread: we need to trade Luongo because a random poster on HFBoards said so.

12-07-2012, 10:09 AM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Simple answer that I learned in the last thread: we need to trade Luongo because a random poster on HFBoards said so.
Luongo said it's time to move on, the goalie who keeps saying and doing the right things needs his opportunity. Argue the points all you want, but don't act like there aren't any.

You don't win hockey games by having "fans" judge trades, you win hockey games by putting the best team possible on the ice. Sometimes that means the most talent, most of the time it means putting a talented group together that has some chemistry. That means having players on the team that want to be there.

Old
12-07-2012, 10:35 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
Luongo said it's time to move on, the goalie who keeps saying and doing the right things needs his opportunity. Argue the points all you want, but don't act like there aren't any.

You don't win hockey games by having "fans" judge trades, you win hockey games by putting the best team possible on the ice. Sometimes that means the most talent, most of the time it means putting a talented group together that has some chemistry. That means having players on the team that want to be there.
Luongo said he's fine being here more recently. Selective listening me thinks?

Old
12-07-2012, 10:38 AM
Scurr

Quote:
A player saying he's fine to be here while he waits to get traded isn't the same as wanting to be here. Players that want to be somewhere and have a NTC keep their mouth shut.

Old
12-07-2012, 11:12 AM
StringerBell

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerjoe View Post

You do realize Luongo can't be traded until after the CBA is settled, right? At this moment you can't trade him for anything, let alone something that can help us now, whatever that may be (more mediators?). The deals being discussed regarding a cap drop to $60 million next season are obviously conditional on that actually taking place, and wouldn't be able to occur before it's an impending reality. No harm in discussing our options if the new CBA includes the financial issues that the players and owners have both said they're okay with in principle.

If you find it tortuous to read fans speculate about the cba negotiations' effect on Luongo's trade value in a negative light, you probably aren't cut out for HFboards.

Old
12-07-2012, 11:51 AM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
Not a very good analogy. Would you give me a $50 bill if i gave you 3 bills of unknown value? That would be more accurate in that case.

I guess if I already have a $50 and can only use one of them, then sure, I'll take that chance. Except of course the bills aren't really of unknown value are they?

Old
12-07-2012, 11:54 AM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
So what CC is saying is that we will win the Cup if we trade Luongo, but we won't if we keep him? What happens if we trade Luongo and Schneider gets injured? funny arguments are funny.
I think you are far too invested in this thread.

Old
12-07-2012, 11:54 AM
kanuck87

Quote:

Who won that trade?

Carter is 27 and Luongo is 33. There's a huge difference here.We've already used up most of Luongo's prime seasons. LA will be enjoying Carter's prime seasons.

Old
12-07-2012, 11:57 AM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Roberto Luongo has no reason to publicly state he wants out when he already knows the Canucks are willing to move him to another team of his choosing. There would be nothing to gain at all. Do you really think he has resigned himself to back up status and is happy doing so?

Old
12-07-2012, 12:10 PM
Reverend Mayhem
1 for you, 19 for me

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcaulks View Post
I guess if I already have a $50 and can only use one of them, then sure, I'll take that chance. Except of course the bills aren't really of unknown value are they?
Hence why it wasn't that great of an analogy.

Old
12-07-2012, 12:22 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
Hence why it wasn't that great of an analogy.
You can always be sure that everyone will offer their 2 cents when it comes to analogies not being perfect.

It's pretty simple, it was stated that the team that moves the best player in a deal loses. However, if you get three smaller parts that as a whole do more for your team than say, a BACK UP GOALIE, then you haven't lost. In fact, it is very possible that both teams win. Never mind the fact we'd possibly open up cap space to add pieces at the deadline.

Old
12-07-2012, 12:25 PM
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthsn View Post
It's very unlikely that a 1st turns out to be better than the star player in the first few seasons.

The Seguin/Cout standard is the exception not the rule.
So the rule applies, except when it doesn't. If we're trading an expendable older player for several younger pieces with a lot of potential, there is a very good chance we come off better for it.

Old
12-07-2012, 12:37 PM
DJOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post

Luongo's opportunity might be in Vancouver.

Her just needs to play better than Schneider consistently.

Old
12-07-2012, 12:43 PM
kthsn

Quote:
So the rule applies, except when it doesn't. If we're trading an expendable older player for several younger pieces with a lot of potential, there is a very good chance we come off better for it.
No one is saying that the team trading for the best player wins 100% of the time. The team receiving the best player wins the majority of the time.

If we trade Luongo for futures history shows that the futures likely won't have the impact that Luongo does.

Old
12-07-2012, 12:46 PM
kthsn

VKW for clarification you should define what "very good" chance the Canucks have of coming out on top means.

Old
12-07-2012, 12:50 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcaulks View Post
Roberto Luongo has no reason to publicly state he wants out when he already knows the Canucks are willing to move him to another team of his choosing. There would be nothing to gain at all. Do you really think he has resigned himself to back up status and is happy doing so?
Who said Luongo would be the backup here? You really make a lot of assumptions here, and you know what they say about making assumptions.

Old
12-07-2012, 12:55 PM
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthsn View Post
VKW for clarification you should define what "very good" chance the Canucks have of coming out on top means.
We'll be a better team trading Luongo for say, Kulemin, Kadri, and a 1st certainly in the long run and very possibly in the short run too. I'm not going to hold out forever because no one is offering Kessel or Huberdeau or someone of comparable talent to Luongo.

Old
12-07-2012, 01:05 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
And only putting weight into his latest comment about being ok with staying isn't?

Last edited by Scottrockztheworld*: 12-07-2012 at 01:29 PM.
Old
12-07-2012, 01:30 PM
kthsn

Quote:
We'll be a better team trading Luongo for say, Kulemin, Kadri, and a 1st certainly in the long run and very possibly in the short run too.
That's certainly a very debatable topic. I feel Luongo's importance to this team is somewhat underrated by most.

Luongo
- elite #1A/B with Schneider
- in the future will continue to be a very good #1A/B

Kulemin
- currently is a tweener, he should bolster our 2/3rd line
- in the future he will continue to be a tweener IMO

Kadri
- might crack the roster (IMO will not this year)
- in the future he might end up a solid 1st liner/could potentially bust

1st
- no help in the present
- could be a good pick 3-4 years down the road or could be a bust.

I don't think there is any way to say Kulemin/Kadri/1st help us win more right now but a case could be made for the future. The impact of an elite netminder even as a #1B option is much more than 2 tweeners.

Old
12-07-2012, 01:39 PM
arsmaster

In light or the negativity circulating with the CBA talks...we should be thankful we have something to discuss in Lu.

Even though nothing new has been discussed for months at least we can continue to try, twist, manipulate things with no basis.

It's great.

The best is all the Toronto fans hating the contract and how much they know what the new CBA will look like. I thank those leaf fans, it allows us an insiders look into the next CBA. Love how they continue to enter the threads and make offers for his 'negative' value.

Thanks leaf fans.

Closed Thread