HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Lockout Thread: Good Things Come To Those Who Wait

Old
12-06-2012, 10:11 PM
Boom Boom Anton

vCash: 500
Nvm.....

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 10:30 PM
Sad King Jimmy
Look up, Hannah

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
@adater: From deep inside players side: "We were ready to play again. But Don came in (Wed.) and told us we could get more and to hold out"

Holy smokes.

Sad King Jimmy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 10:32 PM
Psyduck
cephalalgia

How will it ever be the same again?

How will I ever be able to cheer for the players without being reminded that they're greedy millionaires who seem to only play for guaranteed monetary gain?

**** them.

It's not fair to me that the only sport I love has such greedy incompetent ******** playing and owning who don't care for the game like I do.

**** em all.

I'm beyond frustrated with this process.

Psyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 10:40 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

Don Cherry ‏@CoachsCornerCBC
I have known Gary Bettman since he was named commissioner. I have never seen him so livid as he was tonight at the press conference...

..He was almost shaking. That was no act. There were owners who I'll call doves who were against the hawks. The hawks said ok we'll do it..

Your way and the doves put an extra 100 million on the table and when the association said ok but... The doves turned into hawks themselves

I believe the hardliners said to the doves ok we did it your way and the association thinks we are weak.. Now we'll do it our way....

Looks like I will see a lot more of Marlies, Junior and Minor Midget games this year.

Interesting take on what transpired. No question why Gary was pissed. He probably spent all week trying to get the hardliners to play along, and it blew up in his face. Good job PA.

Finlandia WOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 10:43 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

Our good friend Eric Cole will be giving his opinion on the events that occurred today. More at 11!

Old
12-06-2012, 11:35 PM
Novacane
LOCK

Words cannot describe the hatred I have for Fehr. He blows up everything he touches. It's just his m.o.. It's not good enough to have Steve in the room helping the players get their say in the process. He has to plant himself in it, after all of the progress that was made, and just **** over everything. He has to make the players "win". Hey *******, this "negotiation" is wayyyyyyy past one side "winning". It's now about saving face and not letting this blow up. Well, apparently Fehr is the fuse and he just blew up all the progress that had been made. And I feel sorry for the moderate players who have to deal with this *******'s tactics. They want/need hockey, and Don just sucks up to the Crosby's of the league and puts his foot down when he should be moving on at least some of these issues.

Novacane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 11:37 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacane View Post
Words cannot describe the hatred I have for Fehr. He blows up everything he touches. It's just his m.o.. It's not good enough to have Steve in the room helping the players get their say in the process. He has to plant himself in it, after all of the progress that was made, and just **** over everything. He has to make the players "win". Hey *******, this "negotiation" is wayyyyyyy past one side "winning". It's now about saving face and not letting this blow up. Well, apparently Fehr is the fuse and he just blew up all the progress that had been made. And I feel sorry for the moderate players who have to deal with this *******'s tactics. They want/need hockey, and Don just sucks up to the Crosby's of the league and puts his foot down when he should be moving on at least some of these issues.
Quote:
The Denver Post quoted a source from "deep inside players side" as saying, "We were ready to play again. But Don came in (Wednesday) and told us we could get more and to hold out."
I hate Fehr too.

Old
12-07-2012, 12:33 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan The Parade View Post

Wasn't Dater pro player?
Yes, he was. Was.

You knew it was going to be a bad day when Dater started a tweet: "I've been pro-union most of the way,but..."

In the few hours since then:

"@adater: If its true that pension is now biggest issue for Fehr/players, then forget it. Always something new"

"@adater: How players can be unhappy at five year limits on GUARANTEED contracts is laughable. Get into real world guys."

"@adater: We're seeing now the fruition of a two-tier economic system among players. Top guys in Europe, taking jobs, making $. Bottom guys suffering"

We just saw a prominent pro-player guy flip to pro-owner (whether he would agree to that term or not) right before our eyes, within a matter of hours. That's how badly the PA botched today.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 12:37 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyduck View Post
How will it ever be the same again?
I'm asking myself that question more and more lately. Last time it was easy to get over the lockout and get excited about having hockey back. This time feels different. Looking at Crosby and Richards standing behind Fehr at his press conference, I had the same feeling as when I see an old photo of Barry Bonds or Sammy Sosa. I feel like these guys actually took something from me, on a personal level.

I'm glad the Hurricanes players have stayed out of this mess. That's probably the only thing keeping me in it at this point.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 12:52 AM
Novacane
LOCK

Am I the only one who wants the season to be cancelled right now just to avoid this rollercoaster again in a few weeks and then early January. It's completely pointless getting invested in these talks. Based on Bettman's comment on make whole being taken completely off the table, it seems that we're back to square one. Now, we're back in August, wondering once again who blinks first. Just end it now so I can move on.

Old
12-07-2012, 02:00 AM
bleedgreen

That would be the ultimate pie in the face for fehr now. If they cancelled it now. He still thinks hes gonna get a better deal than the one offered, I'd actually give up the rest of the season to see him have to go back to his side and tell them they are losing a seasons salary and never getting it back. Then try to blame it on Bettman. This is fehr stalling and playing chicken. Love to see Ryan miller explain it to his role players why it was worth losing a season in their 3 or 4 season careers.

bleedgreen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 03:32 AM
Carolinas Identity
I'm a bad troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
That would be the ultimate pie in the face for fehr now. If they cancelled it now. He still thinks hes gonna get a better deal than the one offered, I'd actually give up the rest of the season to see him have to go back to his side and tell them they are losing a seasons salary and never getting it back. Then try to blame it on Bettman. This is fehr stalling and playing chicken. Love to see Ryan miller explain it to his role players why it was worth losing a season in their 3 or 4 season careers.
This.

with ya 110%

Carolinas Identity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 11:09 AM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

I posted this in the main board topic, but given how fast that board moves, I'll ask it here:

What makes the owners so innocent in this? The players/owners meeting was going fine, but apparently the owners were getting impatient with how long the players were reviewing the various changes the owners were throwing out there. This is despite the acknowledgement of the fact that the players aren't nearly as saavy in these type of negotiations as the owners and thus would HAVE to review everything carefully.

So when the complaints about the speed of the process got too much, the players said "Fine, we'll speed it up by bringing in the only guy who has extensive negotiation experience on our side". Which, of course, is Fehr. To which the owners balked, cursed and complained.

It sounds like the owners were simply expecting the players to take their word that whatever proposal the owners put out there was in their best interest and simply sign on the dotted line.

Blueline Bomber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 02:32 PM
urn

I bet Crosby, Parise, and other stars are going to get even more physical attention from goons this season if it happens--and deservedly so.

urn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 02:45 PM
Novacane
LOCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
I posted this in the main board topic, but given how fast that board moves, I'll ask it here:

What makes the owners so innocent in this? The players/owners meeting was going fine, but apparently the owners were getting impatient with how long the players were reviewing the various changes the owners were throwing out there. This is despite the acknowledgement of the fact that the players aren't nearly as saavy in these type of negotiations as the owners and thus would HAVE to review everything carefully.

So when the complaints about the speed of the process got too much, the players said "Fine, we'll speed it up by bringing in the only guy who has extensive negotiation experience on our side". Which, of course, is Fehr. To which the owners balked, cursed and complained.

It sounds like the owners were simply expecting the players to take their word that whatever proposal the owners put out there was in their best interest and simply sign on the dotted line.
I never saw anything about the speed as an issue, but I'll offer my two cents. They had Steve Fehr in the room (something the players, presumably Don, insisted on). Since he has been part of these negotiations, and Don's brother, you would have to think that he has a very clear understanding of the issues his side wants and the extent to which his side can bend on certain issues. Now, my hunch is when they had their break out sessions, Don was undoubtedly in the room. This is in my opinion where either stalling tactics could have gone on or if you are a defender of the Union you could say he was calling up all of the players to ask their opinion on the issues discussed. However if case 2 happened, I would bet Crosby has the final say if any bending on their side occurred (I didn't believe for one minute that Crosby would be the savior of these negotiations).

So, imo, the supposed shift in mood on Wednesday afternoon came solely and directly from Don's influence on his side once he realized they may be looking a little too rushed to get a deal. And that is why Don pushed himself back publicly into Thursday's negotiations.

This is just my opinion on the issue, and may or may not include some NHL talking points. Seeing as a refuse to listen to Don Fehr and the sulking players behind him, it probably does...

Old
12-07-2012, 03:03 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

Quote:

First, the players were allowed to bring with them lawyers who understood the process, and could explain to them what the owners were offering.

Second, you have it backwards. The players didn't slow down, and then bring in Fehr to compensate. Fehr was brought in, and suddenly the players slowed down Wednesday night (after Fehr advised that they should "hold out"). The players were 5 hours late while having "internal meetings" to the agreed upon joint meeting Thursday morning. Then, Fehr demanded a mediator, and slowed the process further because there was no mediator immediately available.

The owners are pissed because they put 2 and 2 together: once Fehr showed up, the process ground to a halt.

EDIT: Though of course, Fehr would not allow anything to happen without him first looking it over and giving his opinion, so the owners are getting angry over very little.

Last edited by Finlandia WOAT: 12-07-2012 at 04:50 PM.
Old
12-07-2012, 04:02 PM
Chicago Made Punk
\-|Stay Alive|-/

I don't think it's fair to place any blame on Crosby, Richards, etc. Fehr's the one turning the offers down, not them. They're also not the morons tweeting nonsense 24/7 a la Upshall, Darche, Prust, Bisonette, etc.

Chicago Made Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 06:44 PM
ONO94

Anybody think the smart depth player feeding Dater info is Craig Adams? Would make sense as he was there for at least some of the negotiations....

ONO94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 07:25 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

@DougMaclean
Hearing from alot of people that the DEAL will be made.Don has to fight for a bit more before its over and Gary has to give a bit.
Retweeted by P-A Parenteau

https://twitter.com/DougMaclean/stat...81150823321600

Old
12-07-2012, 07:27 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

Bill Daly has said that the NHL will not be talking to the Union. BUT, if the union were to come to them...

Old
12-11-2012, 04:09 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/sta...05966939922432

@DarrenDreger

"PA working on securing players to attend tomorrows mtng with NHL at undisclosed location. Media ban in effect."

Good.

Old
12-11-2012, 05:24 PM
HisIceness
Michal Jordan

Please keep Donald Fehr and his brother away from any other further meetings, thanks.

HisIceness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 08:04 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

I expect #NHLPA to accept 10 yr #CBA if #NHL gives a little on some contract rights #compromise #negotiate

https://twitter.com/andystrickland/s...35827607764992

Though Make Whole is off the table.

Old
12-12-2012, 10:59 AM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan The Parade View Post
I expect #NHLPA to accept 10 yr #CBA if #NHL gives a little on some contract rights #compromise #negotiate

https://twitter.com/andystrickland/s...35827607764992

Though Make Whole is off the table.
I thought the proposed increase in the amount of Make Whole was off the table, not Make Whole itself.

Blueline Bomber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 11:21 AM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

Quote:
I thought the proposed increase in the amount of Make Whole was off the table, not Make Whole itself.
You're probably right, no way they would be meeting if all of Make Whole was off.

Quote:
The consensus among NHL management types/agents here this morning is that there will definitely be a resolution to the lockout, and soon.
https://twitter.com/GMillerTSN/statu...92579477671936