Notices

Statement from Winnipeg Jets Governor Mark Chipman

Old
12-06-2012, 08:54 PM
ICdave
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Statement from Winnipeg Jets Governor Mark Chipman

Mark Chipman, Chairman and Governor of the Winnipeg Jets Hockey Club, today issued the following statement:

“I’d like to thank the NHL for giving me the opportunity to participate in this very important process.

I came here optimistic that we could find a solution. That sense of optimism grew after our first few sessions, including the small group discussions late last night.

Regrettably, we have been unable to close the divide on some critical issues that we feel are essential to the immediate and long-term health of our game.

While I sense there are some members of the players association that understand our perspective on these issues, clearly there are many that don’t.

I am deeply disappointed that we were unable to bring this extremely unfortunate situation to a successful conclusion and I wish to apologize to our fans and sponsors for letting them down.”

ICdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 08:59 PM
Concordski
Knockoff Jets FTW

I get that it is the Governor's job to dislike the Union, but I find that language way too accusatory.

Oh well, Michigan has their best College Basketball team in 20 years, I shouldn't let this NHL/NHLPA garbage get me down...

I do miss the Jets though.

Concordski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 09:06 PM
jimmycrackcorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielBryanRoleModel View Post
I get that it is the Governor's job to dislike the Union, but I find that language way too accusatory.
What the **** are you talking about? Accusatory? How about the hard truth. Some players can't handle the truth.

jimmycrackcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 09:17 PM
Concordski
Knockoff Jets FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmycrackcorn View Post
What the **** are you talking about? Accusatory? How about the hard truth. Some players can't handle the truth.
You refer to the union as a whole, when you get down to individuals you make them less likely to work to fix things. Tanenbaum's statement was more blunt, but less accusatory.

Old
12-06-2012, 09:59 PM
ps241
Hero of CantonKiller

Quote:
You refer to the union as a whole, when you get down to individuals you make them less likely to work to fix things. Tanenbaum's statement was more blunt, but less accusatory.
Seems pretty tame no?

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 10:15 PM
Concordski
Knockoff Jets FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Seems pretty tame no?
I prefer what Tanenbaum said as he wasn't explicitly referring to individuals, I bet John Q. Unionboss would too. Yet, Tanenbaum was also more explicit about his disappointment, so it's not like Chipman needed to say what he said to be blunt.

Chipman seems to want to make this personal, which isn't good for anybody.

Old
12-06-2012, 10:34 PM
ps241
Hero of CantonKiller

Quote:
I prefer what Tanenbaum said as he wasn't explicitly referring to individuals, I bet John Q. Unionboss would too. Yet, Tanenbaum was also more explicit about his disappointment, so it's not like Chipman needed to say what he said to be blunt.

Chipman seems to want to make this personal, which isn't good for anybody.
perhaps but on balance this owner groups comments (including Mark's) seem pretty tame compared to allot what I have seen put out there from both sides. He apologized for letting us down so he is taking some accountability for his actions as well IMHO

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 10:40 PM
Jaffray15

Send a message via AIM to Jaffray15 Send a message via MSN to Jaffray15
Anybody who thinks Chipman doesn't care about the fans is crazy. He wanted to bring back the NHL here for the city, not just himself.

I'm sure he didn't expect the new Jets to be so profitable the first year, but you have to love his passion.

Jaffray15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 10:40 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

Damn. So much for this "renewed optimism" crap the media has been feeding us for the last 48 hours.

Puckschmuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 10:49 PM
Huffer

vCash: 1090
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
perhaps but on balance this owner groups comments (including Mark's) seem pretty tame compared to allot what I have seen put out there from both sides. He apologized for letting us down so he is taking some accountability for his actions as well IMHO
Agreed. There is nothing in this response that is accusatory in any way.

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 11:10 AM
Samcanadian

vCash: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
Agreed. There is nothing in this response that is accusatory in any way.
Yeah, but I wish you wouldn't make your post about it so accusatory. You're trying to say that DanielBryanRoleModel is out of line? Huh? Huh?

Samcanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 11:24 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
"While I sense there are some members of the players association that understand our perspective on these issues, clearly there are many that don’t."
I don't really think this part of the quote was necessary. I like the quote otherwise.

Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 01:24 PM
jetkarma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise View Post
I don't really think this part of the quote was necessary. I like the quote otherwise.
I believe it is totally pertinent , and was included because it is.

jetkarma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 01:40 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetkarma View Post
I don't see how people disliked this, if anything this read to me like an olive branch to the players. It essentially said, were dissapointed in what you as whole entity brought back to us, but we don't blame you all. Rather then saying, all of you have just pissed us off, it says "some of you are really pissing us off" which to me is totally reasonable.

based on some of the quote coming out (ex: adrian dater) it sounds like he's right too.

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 02:00 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

I am proud to have an owner like Mark Chipman!

Guardian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 04:16 PM
TroubaFan1

Quote:
I totally agree. Just a jab for no real reason.

TroubaFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 05:02 PM
scelaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostmaFan1 View Post
I totally agree. Just a jab for no real reason.
Chipman would never take a jab for no reason on a matter like this.
The message is, 'I'm not blaming all of the PA members, but, without naming names, the people who are scuttling this must be held accountable for the consequences.'
His words were quite restrained but the message was clear. It would be irresponsible not to send it, IMO.

scelaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 05:18 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by scelaton View Post
Chipman would never take a jab for no reason on a matter like this.
The message is, 'I'm not blaming all of the PA members, but, without naming names, the people who are scuttling this must be held accountable for the consequences.'
His words were quite restrained but the message was clear. It would be irresponsible not to send it, IMO.
Yah i agree with you scelaton, I think those who are taking issue with it are reading it the wrong way... I think it's not supposed to be "i'm blaming specific individuals and they know who they are" , more like "i know your not all bad guys but this is disappointing"

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 06:42 PM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samcanadian View Post
Yeah, but I wish you wouldn't make your post about it so accusatory. You're trying to say that DanielBryanRoleModel is out of line? Huh? Huh?
People going out of their way to find negativity either in the lockout, young players, prospects, etc, is just starting to get ridiculous.

Old
12-07-2012, 07:15 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetkarma View Post
You're entitled to your opinion. I still don't believe it was necessary IMO.

Old
12-07-2012, 07:39 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
It is completely warranted because it is 100% true

King Woodballs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 07:42 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
People going out of their way to find negativity either in the lockout, young players, prospects, etc, is just starting to get ridiculous.
Just because someone thinks differently than yourself, doesn't mean it's negative Huffer. Us fans aren't always going to agree on everything and that's part of the draw of this board, difference in opinions and the freedom to express them. I personally say what I believe and if that doesn't go with the norm, then so be it. I like my individuality. In my life I tell it like I see it, no sugar coating, just my own perception from trying to see all sides of the puzzle. That's not to say that's how you should or shouldn't see things, it's just my personal line of thinking. I don't think inside a box, outside the box, because to me there is no box at all. It's just a perception of one's reality and they are entitled to that as humans. I don't want you to think that I'm singling you out, but I thought your message was looking for a reply of some sort and decided that I'd try my best to give that to you, from my own line of thinking. I hope that this clears things up about my views on some of the subjects that you mentioned.

Old
12-07-2012, 07:46 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
It is completely warranted because it is 100% true
It may be true and Im not disagreeing with it, but I don't think it was helpful towards negotiations in any form. I don't see a point in putting a positive spin on it.

Old
12-07-2012, 07:51 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
It may be true and Im not disagreeing with it, but I don't think it was helpful towards negotiations in any form. I don't see a point in putting a positive spin on it.
You are probably correct, that is isn't very productive.
But I don`t have an issue that it was said.

The owners haven`t (been allowed) to say what they want.
It`s about time a few of them got to speak their piece.

King Woodballs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 08:32 PM
Huffer

Quote:
Just because someone thinks differently than yourself, doesn't mean it's negative Huffer. Us fans aren't always going to agree on everything and that's part of the draw of this board, difference in opinions and the freedom to express them. I personally say what I believe and if that doesn't go with the norm, then so be it. I like my individuality. In my life I tell it like I see it, no sugar coating, just my own perception from trying to see all sides of the puzzle. That's not to say that's how you should or shouldn't see things, it's just my personal line of thinking. I don't think inside a box, outside the box, because to me there is no box at all. It's just a perception of one's reality and they are entitled to that as humans. I don't want you to think that I'm singling you out, but I thought your message was looking for a reply of some sort and decided that I'd try my best to give that to you, from my own line of thinking. I hope that this clears things up about my views on some of the subjects that you mentioned.
That's 100% not what I am saying. I have NEVER said that if someone doesn't think the same as myself, or with the norm that that is being negative, or that they are wrong.

But, there is a major difference in not seeing things the same way and having rational, logical discussions on the merits of each position, and just posting negative comments and positions day after day.

Eg.

"Player X doesn't look like he's playing good to me. (insert rational argument here to back up statement)."

to

"Player X is garbage. Can't believe that TNSE drafted this guy, what a joke of an organization. Player X should be cut tomorrow."

I agree that discussion is the best part of the board. But the second opinion elicits no discussion, just a negative dump on the player / org/ coaching staff / whatever.

I was a huge (and still am I guess) fan of Stuart last year. Loved what he brought to the team. But after seeing some of Garret's analysis and seeing how effective he really was has changed my position somewhat.

Now if someone just decides to post "Stuart suxors, we should trade him for a bag of pucks," that doesn't seem to create a very constructive dialog.

All I am saying is that it seems like we see a lot more of the second type of statements from some and not the first. Basically being negative for negativity's sake.

That's how I see things anyway.