HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

2012-2013 CIS Regular Season Discussion

Old
12-02-2012, 05:32 PM
northvanman

vCash: 500
Western defeats Brock 4-1 to close out the first half for CIS hockey.

The OUA West is as competitive, top to bottom, as it has ever been. I can honestly say this is the first time the division is such that anyone really can be anyone else. Most games between divisional opponents have been close with very few blowouts, and the goals for and against up and down the division attest to that.

Western has really surprised me - I had them picked at 3rd or 4th in the division and after a slow start, they have had about as quiet an 11 game winning steak as you can have. After losing Turkiewicz, Snow and Baker to graduation, I thought they would have big trouble scoring. But rookie Matt Clarke has really stepped up, and Zach Harnden and Steve Reese is have really played well moving to the top line.

I think Guelph is strong and stronger than their good record shows, and Windsor, who I thought would take the division this year, is only 2 points out of first place. Western and Windsor do seem to be a bit above the other teams in the division right now, but given all the close games, I think any of the top 6 could win the OUA West.

northvanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 09:09 PM
RED ARMY EAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
Apparently the World Junior team will be playing two exhibition games against CIS "all-stars" again...

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/12/01...m-will-be-deep
AUS,OUA or CanWest all stars?

RED ARMY EAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 12:18 AM
WilcoxHound

In the past the CIS All Star team (wink wink) has been made up only of Pronghorns and Dinos. Not the greatest way to market the CIS.

WilcoxHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 03:52 AM
SnipeShow91

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilcoxHound View Post
In the past the CIS All Star team (wink wink) has been made up only of Pronghorns and Dinos. Not the greatest way to market the CIS.
Cause the game isint supposed to market the CIS....

SnipeShow91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 08:33 AM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

Quote:
The camp is in Calgary so I suspect players within driving distance will be used. That would mean Calgary, Miunt Royal, Lethbridge, and maybe Saudi Alberta.

Hollywood3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 04:38 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

CIS team to be made up of players from Alberta, Calgary, and Mount Royal...

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2012/12...r-tryout-list/

UNB Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 03:34 PM
SnipeShow91

UQTR @ RMC (Nov 30) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-DHiQfSVSk

McGill @ RMC (Dec 1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXirQ...ature=youtu.be

Adam Shell discusses the weekend http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAW4tIJElZI

Old
12-04-2012, 10:34 PM
blackmarketmob

Quote:
Originally Posted by northvanman View Post
Western defeats Brock 4-1 to close out the first half for CIS hockey.

The OUA West is as competitive, top to bottom, as it has ever been. I can honestly say this is the first time the division is such that anyone really can be anyone else. Most games between divisional opponents have been close with very few blowouts, and the goals for and against up and down the division attest to that.

Western has really surprised me - I had them picked at 3rd or 4th in the division and after a slow start, they have had about as quiet an 11 game winning steak as you can have. After losing Turkiewicz, Snow and Baker to graduation, I thought they would have big trouble scoring. But rookie Matt Clarke has really stepped up, and Zach Harnden and Steve Reese is have really played well moving to the top line.

I think Guelph is strong and stronger than their good record shows, and Windsor, who I thought would take the division this year, is only 2 points out of first place. Western and Windsor do seem to be a bit above the other teams in the division right now, but given all the close games, I think any of the top 6 could win the OUA West.
Highlights of Laurier vs York from this past weekend, a game Laurier really should have won after being up 2-0, and later 3-1. The loss is their fourth straight and keeps them in last place after a nice 5 game point streak including wins against Lakehead, Carleton and an overtime loss against Western.

Standings in the OUA West as of the break:

1 Western 16 13 3 0 26
2 Windsor 16 12 4 0 24
3 Guelph 18 11 6 1 23
4 Waterloo 16 9 5 2 20
5 Lakehead 16 9 5 2 20
6 York 16 9 7 0 18
7 Brock 16 6 7 3 15
8 UOIT 16 6 9 1 13
9 Laurier 16 5 9 2 12

Almost every night is a toss up, with all teams capable of beating all other teams. There really are not many weak teams, all OUA West teams have a strong mix of junior A, B, and OHL players with almost every team having at least one strong goaltender.

Western's recent streak is impressive. My bet is now on Western or Guelph to represent the OUA at nationals. I am not 100% sold on Guelph, but since acquiring former Colorado draft pick Brandon Maxwell, they have performed well. He has gone 9-2 with a 1.83 GAA and 0.935 save percentage.

blackmarketmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 08:05 PM
thook

Lakehead thunder wolves and their arguably best player Thomas Frazee have parted ways. I think player discipline played a big role in this. Huge loss of skill to Lu but if he was a cancer in the room it could be for the better. Hoping for a Christmas recruit!

thook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 09:14 PM
WilcoxHound

I'd say your most skilled player is Mike Hammond, great hands with hockey smarts.

Old
12-06-2012, 09:29 PM
thook

Quote:
I'd say your most skilled player is Mike Hammond, great hands with hockey smarts.
Hammond has the best hands I have ever seen live. Kid is sick. Caria is good and a couple others too. Frazee is 6'4 strong fast and skilled. Guys like that are hard to replace

thook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 11:53 AM
mikeandI

Quote:
Originally Posted by thook View Post
Lakehead thunder wolves and their arguably best player Thomas Frazee have parted ways. I think player discipline played a big role in this. Huge loss of skill to Lu but if he was a cancer in the room it could be for the better. Hoping for a Christmas recruit!
thook
what ever happened to another whl guy Rylan MacDonald.Was just looking at teams roster and he wasnt there?

mikeandI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 12:27 PM
lakeheadu

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeandI View Post
thook
what ever happened to another whl guy Rylan MacDonald.Was just looking at teams roster and he wasnt there?
McDonald transferred to Saskatchewan since he is from there and they are hosting nationals.

As for the loss of Frazee, I feel much worse about our chances of making it to nationals now. Huge loss. Wouldnt be surprised if part of it goes back to the whole Scherban disaster, and I also wouldnt be surprised if they cut a bunch more after the season. Not going to be impressed if we lose our players over the organization being upset that their unqualified coach was forced out by the players!

lakeheadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 01:43 PM
SnipeShow91

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeheadu View Post
McDonald transferred to Saskatchewan since he is from there and they are hosting nationals.

As for the loss of Frazee, I feel much worse about our chances of making it to nationals now. Huge loss. Wouldnt be surprised if part of it goes back to the whole Scherban disaster, and I also wouldnt be surprised if they cut a bunch more after the season. Not going to be impressed if we lose our players over the organization being upset that their unqualified coach was forced out by the players!
Could also mean Frazee was a major cancer in the room if all the coaches voted unamiously to cut their leading scorer from the team. As a OUA coach myself, thats exactly what it sounds like. Hopefully it dosent bite Lakehead in the butt in the 2nd half, knowing how tight the OUA West is.

Old
12-07-2012, 02:13 PM
lakeheadu

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnipeShow91 View Post
Could also mean Frazee was a major cancer in the room if all the coaches voted unamiously to cut their leading scorer from the team. As a OUA coach myself, thats exactly what it sounds like. Hopefully it dosent bite Lakehead in the butt in the 2nd half, knowing how tight the OUA West is.
Right. I hope that we get some more details, but I'm not counting on it. I'm curious if this decision originated with the coaching staff or if it came from above and the coaching staff was just asked for their input and signed off on it.

On ice, he did take a lot of stupid penalties, but was far from the only one on the team to do so this season. If we're losing his offensive production, we will really need to eliminate all of those unnecessary penalties in the 2nd half to have a chance.

It would also be great if we could get Fillman back from his concussion at some point. He still hasnt played a regular season game. He was our best skater, defenceman and even our best player last year IMO. Frazee was playing the point on the power play, so Fillman would be a natural replacement there if/when he returns.

Old
12-07-2012, 02:29 PM
SnipeShow91

Quote:
Right. I hope that we get some more details, but I'm not counting on it. I'm curious if this decision originated with the coaching staff or if it came from above and the coaching staff was just asked for their input and signed off on it.

On ice, he did take a lot of stupid penalties, but was far from the only one on the team to do so this season. If we're losing his offensive production, we will really need to eliminate all of those unnecessary penalties in the 2nd half to have a chance.

It would also be great if we could get Fillman back from his concussion at some point. He still hasnt played a regular season game. He was our best skater, defenceman and even our best player last year IMO. Frazee was playing the point on the power play, so Fillman would be a natural replacement there if/when he returns.
If I could guess in this kind of situation, it would most likely come from the coaching staff cause they would know more about the sitaution than the president or the AD on what the ramifications would be for cutting a player academically and affecting his scholarship.

Old
12-07-2012, 05:57 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Article from yesterdays Chronicle Herald about the Dal situation....sounds like a decision will be made early in the new year, and rantfather will be happy to know that the information will be shared...

http://thechronicleherald.ca/sports/...-on-dal-hockey

Old
12-07-2012, 09:49 PM
blackmarketmob

Losing Frazee is definitely a large blow for Lakehead. While they are still a very strong team, Frazee was a big piece. I have only seen Lakehead play once this year, but Frazee was the best player on either team and very effective. A combination of his high skill level and size is very rare in the OUA. He both made great skilled plays including a highlight reel individual goal (the video is posted I think a page back) and was strong on the boards and in the corners. Him and Caria as #1 and #2 centres would be competitive with pretty much any team in Canada.

Lakehead is still a strong team.

Old
12-07-2012, 10:03 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

Lakehead is one seriously messed up organization. They had a good record when the players walked out on the coach and now they dump a top player. Very odd.

Hollywood3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 11:39 AM
AUS Fan

If he was cut by the team, he must be a train wreck in the room and on the ice. A guy with his skill level has to do something really bad to get cut. Did he decide to leave on his own? Can someone a LU shed some light on this? Not a peep on his twitter account about this. Maybe they haven't told him he's been cut?

AUS Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 01:22 PM
WilcoxHound

From reading the blogs and sport reports coming out of T-Bay it seems that the people who know why Frazee was booted aren't speaking. While his dismissal was unanimous amongst the school administration and hockey staff for some reason none of them are willing to provide a statement to either the press or more importantly to Frazee himself as to what their reasons are.
Some fans are tying it to the rebellion that saw Joel Scherban released but more than one player was responsible for that. Others are surmizing that AD, Tom Warden, is using Frazee as an example to bring other players on the team in line. It has been said by sources close to the team that there are several selfish crybabies presently wearing Wolves uniforms and that Frazee may have been perceived as the most vocal of that group.

Old
12-08-2012, 02:38 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Maybe it's just me but it seems Lakehead has had a number of guys leave school early in recent years.

Old
12-12-2012, 03:15 PM
lakeheadu

Here's a link to a stream of the University of Alberta vs the Canadian World Jr players if anyone is interested:

http://www.fasthockey.com/player/ind...chPlatform=www

You have to sign up, but it's free to sign up and free to watch the game.

Old
12-12-2012, 04:50 PM
blackmarketmob

Quote:
Here's a link to a stream of the University of Alberta vs the Canadian World Jr players if anyone is interested:

http://www.fasthockey.com/player/ind...chPlatform=www

You have to sign up, but it's free to sign up and free to watch the game.
Currently watching the game myself, Alberta up 4-1.

Old
12-29-2012, 12:23 AM
Dutch

Just learned that former Gatineau goalkeeper Francois Lacerte will join the Ottawa Gee Gees. Good thing for the Paiement squad is that Lacerte is in game shape.

Last night, he was named first star in the LNAH game he played, facing shots from former NHLers Denis Hamel and Steve Brulé among others.

Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote