HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Speculation: Gary Bettman's future

Old
12-07-2012, 06:15 AM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conflicted Habs fan View Post
From what was stated at the presser it was Bettman who refuses to negotiate and accept a deal
Lemme guess - Fehr was saying that Bettman refuses to negotiate? Colour me stunned that a union representative is shifting blame to an employer during a labour dispute.

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 12:14 PM
dkhockey

What does it take for a league boss to get fired ?

And Has there ever been a NHL-NBA-MLB-NFL Commissioner that got fired ?

dkhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 12:17 PM
MoreOrr
B4

Not doing what the owners want him to do. Plain and Simple!

MoreOrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 12:25 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
Not doing what the owners want him to do. Plain and Simple!
Yup.

See Fay Vincent, Commissioner of Baseball from 1989-1992. He was essentially forced to resign after an ownership vote of no confidence went heavily against him because he wasn't tough enough on the players and not being aggressive enough in pursuing TV deals.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 12:27 PM
Shrimper
WinItFor#58

vCash: 50
Should think about what you want to do to Fehr first.

Shrimper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 12:30 PM
Penguins23
Le Magnifique

I doubt Bettman would get fired because he's not being soft on the players at all and most owners are probably happy about that but here's a pic I made. Don't want to embed it because it could be considered graphic...not sure.

https://twitter.com/Penguins23/statu...08880234930176

12-07-2012, 12:49 PM
haseoke39
Brainfart 4 Reinhart

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustE View Post
He has cultivated the most adversarial and dysfunctional relationship with the PA imaginable. Just as the Versaille Treaty caused the rise of Hitler, the 04 lockout made the union hire Fehr. Rightly or wrongly, Betman makes the PA lose their minds. Failure

His strategy is always "let's torch our cities and they will starve first.". But this galvanized the PA by making it an allout war. No way this should have gone on this long. Failure.

he is a terrible face for the league. His condescending, arrogant, elitist, demeanor makes him easily
disliked. Perhaps unfair, but true.
How has he cultivated that adversarial PA relationship? What is it that he has done that makes the union lose their minds? He made the exact same revenue offer in August as the NBA did in their negotiations a year ago, raised the offer steadily by 2 week increments or so, which is, I'm sorry, text book negotiation strategy. You're saying people hate him so he must be doing something wrong without giving a reason why people hate him. I'm more inclined to think if I see one rational actor and another losing their minds, the fault probably lies with the side losing their minds.

In what sense is his strategy "torch our cities"?

haseoke39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 12:51 PM
WinterEmpire
Praise Dalpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Aki Berg View Post
Lemme guess - Fehr was saying that Bettman refuses to negotiate? Colour me stunned that a union representative is shifting blame to an employer during a labour dispute.
Actually Bettman himself said there was no negotiating their offer, take it or leave it.

But I guess that's just Fehr brainwashing Bettman into saying what he wants right

WinterEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 12:53 PM
Melnyks Mirage
We are what we are.

Think Gil Stein got the axe for a series of things, including inducting himself into the Hockey Hall of Fame, heh.

Bettman likely won't go unless it is as PR. He IS fulfiling the owner's mandate folks.

Melnyks Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 01:03 PM
haseoke39
Brainfart 4 Reinhart

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterEmpire View Post
Actually Bettman himself said there was no negotiating their offer, take it or leave it.
This is as false as the day is long.

haseoke39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 01:10 PM
SirPaste

Bettman works for the owners, Im sure the owners think he is doing a wonderful job.

SirPaste is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 01:12 PM
Shawnathon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguins23 View Post
I doubt Bettman would get fired because he's not being soft on the players at all and most owners are probably happy about that but here's a pic I made. Don't want to embed it because it could be considered graphic...not sure.

https://twitter.com/Penguins23/statu...08880234930176
The players are mega greedy. This time, it's not Bettman's fault at all.

Shawnathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 01:20 PM
Kloparren
Hth

If I were an owner then I woulda complained around 2000-2004 on how the product has gone downhill and he's done nothing about it (eg giving the competition committee more power). Now we've entered the 2nd dead puck era under this idiot's watch and I wouldn't be happy about that as an owner because it's hurting my product and preventing it from growing.

Kloparren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 01:21 PM
Nager

2 lockouts in less than a decade?

Nager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 01:24 PM
son of earl

Send a message via AIM to son of earl
As long ax the NHL is making money and growing he is fine once that stops and losing money in a whole then he has to worry

son of earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 01:28 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

They just came off a very prosperous stretch under Bettman. Not happening. I wish posters would understand he's a figurehead for the owners, not the ringleader.

6 - Number of playoff series the Capitals have won since George McPhee took over as General Manager in 1997 (which makes him the third-longest-tenured GM in the League), three of which came in McPhee's first season on the job.
CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 01:33 PM
c4fn8d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnathon View Post
I don't understand this logic at all. This ENTIRE negotiating has been about how much the players have to give back. Everyone agrees including the players, how they have to give back on the total share of the pie, the contract length, etc. If the players don't want to give up everything the owners want then they are greedy? How does this make any sense?

c4fn8d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 01:36 PM
Esq.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c4fn8d View Post
I don't understand this logic at all. This ENTIRE negotiating has been about how much the players have to give back. Everyone agrees including the players, how they have to give back on the total share of the pie, the contract length, etc. If the players don't want to give up everything the owners want then they are greedy? How does this make any sense?
They only have to "give back" because they already had way more than they should have. The players are like a fat kid who took 7 slices of pizza from the pie and the owners are asking them to "give some back." The players in the NHL currently get a bigger share of revenue than the players in any other major sport.

You've definitely fallen for Fehr and the players's flawed catch phrases. "Give back." Please.

96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 01:38 PM
c4fn8d

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 View Post
They only have to "give back" because they already had way more than they should have. The players are like a fat kid who took 7 slices of pizza from the pie and the owners are asking them to "give some back." The players in the NHL currently get a bigger share of revenue than the players in any other major sport.
The amount was agreed to at the time by both parties. It was not as if the players held a gun to the head of Bettman.

Even still, no one is arguing this fact. The players have agreed to 50-50. So why are they not playing? because they are greedy?

Old
12-07-2012, 01:39 PM
M Gaz
Who needs a captain?

Bettman needs to go, but Fehr needs to go first.

M Gaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 01:40 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
NOT locking the NHLPA out when they want to play under an expired CBA

Morris Wanchuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 01:44 PM
c4fn8d

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 View Post
You've definitely fallen for Fehr and the players's flawed catch phrases. "Give back." Please.
Honestly, both sides agreed to a split of 43-57 originally. Now the owners have stopped hockey until it is 50-50 and as of yesterday, it was 50-50. The pie has now been adjusted and the players have given up 7% of their share of the pie. I don't think I've fallen for anything, this is the reality of it all. Why is there STILL no agreement?

Old
12-07-2012, 01:46 PM
PensFanSince1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by c4fn8d View Post
Honestly, both sides agreed to a split of 43-57. Now the owners have stopped hockey until it is 50-50. And as of yesterday, it was 50-50. The pie has now been adjusted and the players have given up 7% of their share of the pie. I don't think I've fallen for anything, this is the reality of it all. Why is there STILL no agreement?
Because there's more issues than just the revenue split (and the fact that they aren't even in complete agreement on the economics)?

PensFanSince1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 01:48 PM
c4fn8d

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFanSince1989 View Post
Because there's more issues than just the revenue split (and the fact that they aren't even in complete agreement on the economics)?
Ok, so not only are they greedy in terms of the piece of the pie, they are greedy in terms of contract length which essentially is job security, arbitration rules, and contract dumping which is a tool teams use to free up cap space.

So unless the players give up on all of these other points, then they are greedy. Is that the logic that everyone here is using?

Old
12-07-2012, 01:51 PM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnathon View Post
I don't think you understand the issues that Bettman raised yesterday and how they're detrimental to the game. Understand them before you spew this stuff.

It's more the owners' fault than the players. The middle range of players makes up the majority of the union. If a proposal from the NHL negatively affects that large a percentage, you can't accept that deal.

I love how gullible people are in listening to the league's propaganda through their media fonzies. You have to try to understand the economics of the issues down to the dollars and cents. I bet you believe the US is still the greatest country in the world too

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote