HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Off-Season Madness the 9th: Tom Cheek Memorial Edition

Closed Thread

Old
12-07-2012, 10:36 AM
topched

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanese Leaf View Post
Dunno if this has been posted yet, but Carlos Delgado is joining the level of excellence...

http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=411146

Great news, he was my favourite baseball player growing up.
Me too, back in those days my family use to split seasons tickets with a few others. I got to see a ton of games in the mid-late 90's when he was at his best.

I was at the game where he clubbed 4 vs. Tampa. Its a shame that under the old regime(s) we weren't able to retain loyal stars like Alomar, Delgado and Halladay. I feel confident now that under Beeston and AA that we won't simply walk away form those types of players because of money.

Old
12-07-2012, 11:15 AM
Lebanese Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
Me too, back in those days my family use to split seasons tickets with a few others. I got to see a ton of games in the mid-late 90's when he was at his best.

I was at the game where he clubbed 4 vs. Tampa. Its a shame that under the old regime(s) we weren't able to retain loyal stars like Alomar, Delgado and Halladay. I feel confident now that under Beeston and AA that we won't simply walk away form those types of players because of money.
Yea I think it's safe to say Jose Bautista will be up there in the future. Also Roy Halladay once he retires, regardless of if he comes back or not.

Old
12-07-2012, 11:15 AM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:

Halladay didn't leave because the jays wouldn't pay up. He wanted to win and didn't want to come back. Beeston may not be around the jays much longer. I think he's going to be around a couple more years and then retire. We'll have to wait and see on that one. If the RC starts to fill up again we could be big spenders for a long time to come. It's up to the fans now.

Old
12-07-2012, 11:16 AM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Yea I think it's safe to say Jose Bautista will be up there in the future. Also Roy Halladay once he retires, regardless of if he comes back or not.
Roy without question will be there.

Old
12-07-2012, 11:24 AM
Leafssss

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
Halladay didn't leave because the jays wouldn't pay up. He wanted to win and didn't want to come back. Beeston may not be around the jays much longer. I think he's going to be around a couple more years and then retire. We'll have to wait and see on that one. If the RC starts to fill up again we could be big spenders for a long time to come. It's up to the fans now.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Halladay didn't want to leave. He was fine with being here but the Jays knowing they probably wouldn't win with him wanted to trade him and the only team he'd go to was Philly.

Old
12-07-2012, 11:28 AM
Drew311
Catch The Taste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafssss View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Halladay didn't want to leave. He was fine with being here but the Jays knowing they probably wouldn't win with him wanted to trade him and the only team he'd go to was Philly.
I remember it as Roy leaving because he wanted to win before retiring.

Old
12-07-2012, 11:31 AM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
He wanted a chance to win so he told the team he wouldn't re-sign after his contract was up and it would be for the best to trade me. He did it quietly though to give Jays the chance to get some assets until JP for some stupid reason said Doc came to us and wanted out. It was a fair request from a loyal Jay who never complained or anything and always went about his business. He was getting up there in age and wanted a chance to win and didn't feel Jays could do it anytime soon.

It would be so awesome if he became a FA next season and signed with us. He could finish his career out as a Jay and get a chance to win.

Old
12-07-2012, 11:31 AM
topched

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
I remember it as Roy leaving because he wanted to win before retiring.
You guys are both right. Roy wanted to win before retiring. But the Jays at that point couldn't commit to spending enough money to put a team around him that would contend.

He would have gladly stayed if AA/Beeston/Rogers could have made him the same promise they did to Bautista... that they will make sure this team will contend during the rest of his time here.

So in a round about way... it came down to the money.

Old
12-07-2012, 11:37 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

The Royals seem "very interested" in Dickey, Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star reports (all Twitter links). However, they wouldn't be interested in sending top prospect Wil Myers to New York for the knuckleballer. Dickey, James Shields and Jeremy Hellickson remain in play for the Royals, Dutton reports. However, it now seems unlikely that the Red Sox will move Jon Lester.
The Mets view the Blue Jays, Royals and Rangers as the most likely trade suitors for Dickey, ESPN.com's Buster Olney reports (on Twitter). In Olney's view Dickey's contract demands may seem more reasonable based on some recent free agent contracts.

=====

so if the royals get shields or hellickson
its dickey to texas or toronto

bah...

Old
12-07-2012, 11:38 AM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
He wanted a chance to win so he told the team he wouldn't re-sign after his contract was up and it would be for the best to trade me. He did it quietly though to give Jays the chance to get some assets until JP for some stupid reason said Doc came to us and wanted out. It was a fair request from a loyal Jay who never complained or anything and always went about his business. He was getting up there in age and wanted a chance to win and didn't feel Jays could do it anytime soon.

It would be so awesome if he became a FA next season and signed with us. He could finish his career out as a Jay and get a chance to win.
I would be very happy to bring him back to finish out his career here. He won't be the Roy we're use to I'm sure but he wouldn't need to be the ace anymore. I would love for him to finally win it all as a blue jay.

Old
12-07-2012, 11:44 AM
Lebanese Leaf

Quote:
I would be very happy to bring him back to finish out his career here. He won't be the Roy we're use to I'm sure but he wouldn't need to be the ace anymore. I would love for him to finally win it all as a blue jay.
This.

In any capacity, I want Roy to finish his career as a Jay. I want him going into Cooperstown with a Blue Jays hat.

Old
12-07-2012, 12:01 PM
topched

Quote:
This.

In any capacity, I want Roy to finish his career as a Jay. I want him going into Cooperstown with a Blue Jays hat.
I would love to have him back... Pretty sure there's no one in Toronto who would think otherwise.

But I think he goes into Cooperstown in a Jays hat no matter what.

Old
12-07-2012, 12:11 PM
Platinum Seat Leafs

Joe Saunders anyone Averaged 10.0 H/9 1.1HR/9 2.0 BB/9 5.8 SO/9

AA was talking to about him when we where trading Roy Halladay I think he would fit nicely as the 5h Starter on a 2 year $15'000'000 with an option for 2015 for $8'500'000

Old
12-07-2012, 12:19 PM
Leafssss

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALDAL View Post

AA was talking to about him when we where trading Roy Halladay I think he would fit nicely as the 5h Starter on a 2 year $15'000'000 with an option for 2015 for $8'500'000
Rather the Jays go after Marcum or McCarthy in FA.

Old
12-07-2012, 12:29 PM
topched

Quote:

I don't think he's a clear upgrade over Happ.

McCarthy and Marcum would be.

Old
12-07-2012, 12:31 PM
Animal

Quote:
I would love to have him back... Pretty sure there's no one in Toronto who would think otherwise.

Roy has a $20 million vesting option for 2014, he has to pitch a combined 415 innings between last year and this year. And since he had the shoulder injury last season that limited his innings, he needs over 260 innings this season to earn that $20 million option. He's only exceeded 260 innings once, in the year he won 22 games.

Now of course they can just restructure his contract, but the way things are looking right now for the phillies, maybe he won't want to stay there. With the nationals and braves in their division, i don't see them making the playoffs this season. They've also considered trading cliff lee, so it just shows they don't think they can make another run. And so far they've only added revere while trading away an mlb pitcher in worley.

If the jays make the playoffs in 2013 and philly doesn't, i can't see doc staying in philly

Old
12-07-2012, 12:34 PM
Platinum Seat Leafs

Quote:
I don't think he's a clear upgrade over Happ.

McCarthy and Marcum would be.
Saunders is leap and bounds above Happ , yes Happ has not been in the league as long as Happ but still he is good for 31 stars and 190 innings. McCarthy i still don't see the appeal of him injury prone? What is his potential so many else see ?

Old
12-07-2012, 12:45 PM
Leafssss

Quote:
Saunders is leap and bounds above Happ , yes Happ has not been in the league as long as Happ but still he is good for 31 stars and 190 innings. McCarthy i still don't see the appeal of him injury prone? What is his potential so many else see ?
McCarthy healthy is a great #3, borderline #2 IMO

Old
12-07-2012, 12:47 PM
mapes

Quote:
You guys are both right. Roy wanted to win before retiring. But the Jays at that point couldn't commit to spending enough money to put a team around him that would contend.

He would have gladly stayed if AA/Beeston/Rogers could have made him the same promise they did to Bautista... that they will make sure this team will contend during the rest of his time here.

This.

He wanted to win here first and foremost. But we weren't in a winning mode then. A few years changed a lot.

I'd love him to retire here.

Old
12-07-2012, 12:51 PM
Quik
Agent 0091

Quote:

It wasn't so much about money for him, I don't think (though it's naive to think he would have signed for $15M to stay). The Jays were at a point where they had a crappy farm system with no elite talent, whereas when AA signed Bautista, he had acquired d'Arnaud, Gose and Lawrie as well as the arms in the draft that gave us such a strong prospect pool. For him, it was all about winning, and there was no chance of it happening here, which is ironic because trading him basically led to this team's current contention hopes.

Quote:
Having Halladay back would be amazing, and I think it really does come down to Philly or Toronto next year if he doesn't ink an extension and they decline his option (which isn't necessarily a given if he pitches well). I already think he's going in as a Jay, unless the perfect game and no-hitter somehow skew cooperstown into putting the Phillies hat on his head, but it would be nice if he wins a WS AND it's with the Jays!

I remember posting tongue-in-cheek at the time of the trade that by the end of his contract with the Phillies he could end up returning to a contending Jays team, and it's amazing to think that it could be a real possibility with the way things are set up

Old
12-07-2012, 01:32 PM
theaub
Lets go Hawks!

vCash: 995
Hell yeah Edwin bobblehead day

<3

Old
12-07-2012, 01:42 PM
TheTotalPackage

Quote:

I'd love to see Halladay back to finish his career as a Jay.

But I will admit, and have suggested this before on these boards -- I haven't, nor will I support rooting for him to win a championship with the Phillies.

Old
12-07-2012, 01:43 PM
Jatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by theaub View Post
Hell yeah Edwin bobblehead day

<3

Also a JPA Bobblehead day, guess that settles the trade rumors

Old
12-07-2012, 01:44 PM
Animal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jatt View Post
Also a JPA Bobblehead day, guess that settles the trade rumors :-)
http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/...days-for-2013/

Old
12-07-2012, 01:52 PM
Jatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTotalPackage View Post
I'd love to see Halladay back to finish his career as a Jay.

But I will admit, and have suggested this before on these boards -- I haven't, nor will I support rooting for him to win a championship with the Phillies.
If that happens there's a good chance he goes into the hall a Philly, that being said if he re-signs here, there's a good a chance as any he can win won as a Jay which would be perfect. Dave Steib won one in 1992 after basically heaving the team on his back through the 80's.

Closed Thread