HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

The New OT Thread: Spring Training is Here!

Closed Thread

Old
11-28-2012, 12:21 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Oh we have BlueJays fans in here. Awesome.

My take on the trade, it's an easy win for the Jays.

Reyes has the ability to be a top-5 SS in the MLB. Good/great lead off hitter, can swipe bags and can collect walks/not strike out. Great guy to have on the team.

Buerhle is a good veteran #3. Control pitcher who won't strike out a ton of guys, but won't walk many batters.

Josh Johnson is the biggest piece in the deal. Was an ace a couple of years back, but struggled a little this year. Still was good, but I do think a full season of working out instead of rehabbing all offseason(like he did last offseason), he will be able to gain his FB velocity back and become an ace. This guy is a very good pitcher, and instantly becomes the Jays ace.

Bonifacio is a nice versatile player who will probably play every day. He's underrated and had a bit of good success the season before last.

Buck is Buck. I think we see Arencebia traded.

I honestly think the Jays didn't give up that much. Marisnick is a 5 tool OF prospect, but he has to work on his hit tool. It's a question mark and if he can't figure it out, his worth drops. Still good prospect.

Nicolino and Alvarez are decent pitching prospects but nothing special. Nicolino will probably end up a #3 if all works out, while I think Alvarez is destined for the bullpen.

Hechavarria has a good chance to be like Brendan Ryan. Great fielding SS, adds nothing with his bat. I'm not sure he'll develop his bat at all.

Escobar is what he is. A good starting SS who can help your team in every way. Reyes is an upgrade over him in everyway except fielding.

DeSclafani is probably a bullpen guy is all works out.

None of these guys are sure things nor did the Jays give away their top-3 prospects. This is a win for the Jays.

Their team also becomes super well rounded.

SS Reyes
CF Rasmus
DH Encarnacion
RF Bautista
3B Lawrie
1B Lind(shudder)
LF Bonifacio
2B Itzuris
C JPA/Buck/Wilson/TDA

SP Johnson
SP Morrow
SP Buehrle
SP Romero
SP Happ

Really good and well rounded team there. The only worry is if key players can stay healthy. At worst, I don't see a reason why this roster couldn't challenge for atleast the 2nd WC spot.

AA made a really good deal I think. It has risk(health wise), but overall it should really fast track the Jays' hopes to contend. Great deal.
Ia gree, the only thing that worries me is they got two guys with injury historys. Both Johnson and Reyes when healthy are two of the top players in the Game. Reyes could be absolutley electric here. WE have not had a lead of guy like that in a long long time.

Old
11-28-2012, 12:36 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

He is a Beatle man, and not Ringo. It will be amazing to see him. I saw him at a free live concert in Mexico city 6 months ago and he was awesom. I mean if you don't love the Beatles, sure, he is just another old performer. However, if you love the beatles, like me, this is a religous experince. I litterally cried when he played Hey Jude when I saw him 6 months ago.

It will be a great show.

ps. Whats with Macca? am I missing something?

Old
11-28-2012, 01:24 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Going to see a living legend tonight! Sir Paul McCartney takes the stage tonight in gloomy little our town. Who'd have thought? This will put a rather large fill in my bucket list. Can hardly wait to see all those sweet base runs as I'm right in front on the floor. A full three hours of music from one man. Amazing.
So do you think his concert tonight will top the Grey Cup performance?

Old
11-28-2012, 03:59 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

I'm seeing Sir Paul on Thursday. I have a friend who went to see his Vancouver show and she's been raving about it ever since. I can't wait.

Old
11-28-2012, 04:24 PM
40oz

Do you guys know when he'll take the stage? I heard 8 but I'm not sure how accurate that is.

Old
11-28-2012, 04:26 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
Do you guys know when he'll take the stage? I heard 8 but I'm not sure how accurate that is.
I heard it should be accurate as there is no opening act.

Old
11-28-2012, 04:33 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

You guys would absolutely **** your pants if you saw the conversation between my coworker and myself.

He pretty much hates the NHL because it raises his cable bill, hates Katz because he is greedy and wants to suck more money from the city and its citizens, thinks all Oiler fans are sheep that will go watch the product on ice even if they trade away the youngstars.

Ex.

Quote:
Having a winning team in Edmonton is leaving money on the table for the rest of the league. Why keep a good, high salary, big ticket player? Edmonton doesn’t care if they win! Why would a savvy businessman not sell him out as quickly as possible given the fact we’ll sell out a “guaranteed” loss?

Nope. Instead, sit in the basement, get draft picks, train ‘em up, use them for “hope” for the suckers, have a couple “rebuilding” seasons while you figure out which of the investments(players) has the best return (performance per dollar), trade ‘em off.

If I was a shareholder in the Katz Group I’d sue if they DIDN’T do that. They have an obligation to maximize profitability.

Old
11-28-2012, 04:33 PM
gooilgo
Fehr is a reptile

Quote:
Going to see a living legend tonight! Sir Paul McCartney takes the stage tonight in gloomy little our town. Who'd have thought? This will put a rather large fill in my bucket list. Can hardly wait to see all those sweet base runs as I'm right in front on the floor. A full three hours of music from one man. Amazing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
I'm seeing Sir Paul on Thursday. I have a friend who went to see his Vancouver show and she's been raving about it ever since. I can't wait.
Lucky ********, enjoy it guys.

Old
11-28-2012, 06:39 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
The reviews coming out of recent concerts have been very positive. All of them say he is in fine form. Nice that you give his backup band some credit.
On this latest tour the way he uses the imagery of the past 50 years is great. The last time I saw him he had played 20 gigs in 30 nights or something that and for a 2.5hour show. His voice was horse for most of it. I know a few people who saw his warm up gigs here in the uk and they told me his voice is not as good as it was.

That being said. He has a great band behind him and they got their stuff finely tuned

Old
11-30-2012, 04:56 PM
40oz

Anyone know the best site for finding all inclusive vacations?
Figured I'd shop around online to compare with a travel agent.

Old
11-30-2012, 06:46 PM
The Head Crusher

vCash: 18821
Send a message via MSN to The Head Crusher
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
Anyone know the best site for finding all inclusive vacations?
Figured I'd shop around online to compare with a travel agent.
Sunquest. That is who I went through when I went to the Gran Bahia Principe in Jamaica last New Years.

12-03-2012, 03:08 PM
awesomo
HARD!

I hate how print editions of magazines cost more in Canada than in the US.

I would like to take advantage of these sweet deals for Maxim and Men's Fitness but i guess ill have to go ipad edition. Much rather have a physical magazine though

Old
12-03-2012, 03:21 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

People still read Maxim ?

Old
12-04-2012, 10:36 AM
joestevens29

WTF is with the 10 or so cold case stories on the Edmonton Sun?

Old
12-04-2012, 11:28 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
WTF is with the 10 or so cold case stories on the Edmonton Sun?
They are exactly that, cold cases. Just putting them back in the media to try to get some new tips.

Old
12-04-2012, 07:02 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
Not sure where to put this...
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/12...n_2234811.html

Old
12-04-2012, 07:26 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Cool. Although I doubt it.

Old
12-04-2012, 08:12 PM
awesomo
HARD!

they need to make that idling law legit just so that photo radar is abolished in the winter.

like seriously, how many people do you expect to catch in these conditions while you idle your truck for several hours

Old
12-04-2012, 08:20 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

I heard that on sonic today.
#3 in the world behind Berlin and Zurich for quality of life.

Old
12-04-2012, 08:39 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

I'm a proponent of Edmonton's but that ranking was obviously skewed by wages and employment. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

*reads comments under article* Good God. Some of those people need a healthy dose of perspective.

Old
12-04-2012, 08:45 PM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
I still have Morrow ahead of Johnson. I'm always wary whenever pitchers have one outstanding statistical season followed by a letdown. Pedigree is fine (which is has in spades) but do it again. His career ERA suggests that he's a horse, though.

Morrow was fantastic whenever he pitched in '12 and finished with a 10-7 record despite the Blue Jays' tailspin. He's still the cornerstone of the rotation as far as I'm concerned.
Wouldn't Morrow be more of a one season wonder than JJ? Consider their career stats heads up...

Johnson 56W - 37L 3.15 ERA, 1.23 WHIP, 832K's in 916 IP

Morrow 39W - 37L, 4.10 ERA, 1.33 WHIP, 693K's in 648 IP

I would say they are close, both power pitchers, and Morrow has the more dominant stuff, but JJ has better feel and pace. When Morrow is missing his spots and gets lit up with the long ball he completely unravels (though he was much better at maintaining composure last year vs previous years). JJ is more likely to keep you in the game even when his stuff isn't on or he is missing his spots. With the offence the Jays should have, I'd prefer a battler as the ace. At the end of the day though you can't go wrong with either one, and Morrow is coming off a career year.

Now, with that said, there were some rumblings the Jays may go all in for next season and try to acquire RA Dickey. On Sportsnet they talked about the Mets possibly moving him because he has 1 year on his deal and they have numerous holes to fill, namely Catcher. Arencibia was mentioned as the price tag, possibly a prospect or two attached as well. Not sure how I feel about that though, guess it comes down to where they see D'Arnaud fitting in both the present and future.

Old
12-05-2012, 01:21 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Not sure where to put this, so Ill put it here, but this is the Jay and Silent Bob podcast episode 99, which was done in Edmonton over the weekend. Lots of love for Edmonton/Oilers/Gretzky etc. He also announces that he is turning "Hit Somebody" into a network TV show as he had difficulty getting support for his 2 movie idea. Warning though, this is really not suitable for younger people, lots of sex, drugs and cursing throughout.

http://smodcast.com/episodes/i-melt-with-mewes/

Old
12-07-2012, 12:33 PM
Diamondillium
DO YOU WANT ANTS!?

Hey guys, my 18th birthday was this week and im going out with friends for drinks. Could anyone suggest a good place to go (preferaby pf the pub-like variety that's quieter and i can actually hear people talk)

New to edmonton and (obviously) also dont know any places due to being newly 18.

Old
12-07-2012, 12:48 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondillium View Post
Hey guys, my 18th birthday was this week and im going out with friends for drinks. Could anyone suggest a good place to go (preferaby pf the pub-like variety that's quieter and i can actually hear people talk)

New to edmonton and (obviously) also dont know any places due to being newly 18.
Well since you're 18, I'd suggest somewhere on Whyte. You want to go somewhere a little more intimate or "quiet", even though that's pretty much impossible for a Friday or Saturday night on Whyte, I'd suggest Elephant Pub, O2's, Tilted Kilt and maybe Black Dog. O'Byrnes too but these are slighlty older crowds. Otherwise I'd say you're better off just going to a restaurant/lounge sort of deal if you really want to talk with people and not be worried about music that's too loud. Another good place is Sherlock Holmes Pub but that's downtown. If I were you I would call somewhere ahead and try to get a table, then you don't have to worry about being able to sit and talk with friends, and in that case it really doesn't matter where you go, there's lots of places up and down the strip.

Happy belated by the way.

Last edited by Philly85: 12-07-2012 at 12:53 PM.
Old
12-07-2012, 01:01 PM
Diamondillium
DO YOU WANT ANTS!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
Well since you're 18, I'd suggest somewhere on Whyte. You want to go somewhere a little more intimate or "quiet", even though that's pretty much impossible for a Friday or Saturday night on Whyte, I'd suggest Elephant Pub, O2's, Tilted Kilt and maybe Black Dog. O'Byrnes too but these are slighlty older crowds. Otherwise I'd say you're better off just going to a restaurant/lounge sort of deal if you really want to talk with people and not be worried about music that's too loud. Another good place is Sherlock Holmes Pub but that's downtown. If I were you I would call somewhere ahead and try to get a table, then you don't have to worry about being able to sit and talk with friends, and in that case it really doesn't matter where you go, there's lots of places up and down the strip.

Happy belated by the way.
Thanks!

Will definitely look at those options, see what looks best for me.

Closed Thread