HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan O'Reilly Signs With Magnitogorsk (2-yr deal)

Closed Thread

Old
12-07-2012, 12:11 PM
PAZ

vCash: 50
I don't see the Avs shipping out Radar because of this. The Avs have been drafting and trading for the blue collared, hardworking players the past few years and he's the epitome of that.

While the two years is a bit odd, I think it's more of a sign of RoR wants a better deal, and he's showing that the Avs brass don't have all the bargaining chips. Sure it can be looked at as a slight, but it's not big enough that the Avs will want to ship him out. It would be completely childish for the Avs to trade him because of this.

Old
12-07-2012, 12:12 PM
Chileiceman

vCash: 500
I see this as a way for the Avs to pony up the cash he's looking for. Any other player I could see the Avs become bitter and trade him away once the lockout ends, but it would incredibly foolish to do so with this guy. If not for a certain Landeskog, he would be our franchise player

Old
12-07-2012, 12:18 PM
Mouse21*

this could be a franchise killer.
we cant rely on Duchene and Stastny

Old
12-07-2012, 12:24 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAZ View Post
I don't see the Avs shipping out Radar because of this. The Avs have been drafting and trading for the blue collared, hardworking players the past few years and he's the epitome of that.

While the two years is a bit odd, I think it's more of a sign of RoR wants a better deal, and he's showing that the Avs brass don't have all the bargaining chips. Sure it can be looked at as a slight, but it's not big enough that the Avs will want to ship him out. It would be completely childish for the Avs to trade him because of this.
No doubt this sets a limit for how much low balling Avs can do. It's not the end of the world. Avs are trying to use their leverage, O'Reilly his. It's business, not personal.

We have no idea what his salary in KHL is, we have no idea what the deal is with the Russian team but when the team itself claims there is an agreement that he can leave for the NHL once the lockout ends, you'd have to be a conspiracy nut to imagine it being a problem.

In a bad movie the evil Russian team will force the good Canadian kid to play for them because they tricked him into signing with them. In reality, it's more "thanks and good luck".

Old
12-07-2012, 12:56 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 7658
I'd love to be more optimistic about this but it does seem like a clever ploy to get the Avs to pay up for him once the season begins.

IF he had spoken to Avs management about this prior, I don't see the point in signing a 2 year deal, so I'll assume he didn't. On top of that, this clearly indicates to me that negotiations during the summer certainly weren't as rosy as everyone seemed to think.

People tend to forget that RoR was given EVERY opportunity to succeed last season and after ONE good season (and 2 decent seasons as 3rd line center), he wants to break the bank as a 21 year old, 3 year veteran??

Unfortunately, as others have mentioned, I don't see this ending well. This is a poor miscalculation by his agent and about not knowing who you're dealing with. I believe it's going to backfire on him. This organization has NEVER been one to let the player 'put the screws to them' and I don't imagine it's going to start now, not as long as Pierre Lacroix is still breathing.

I can totally see the Avs starting the season and playing WITHOUT him and letting him 'rot' (in a manner of speaking) in Russia while every last one of his teammates is playing.
"Ryan made up his mind to sign in Russia as a RFA. I'm dealing with the players who want to be here".
Can't you just see comments similar to this one appearing as quotes in the Denver Post? Speaking of which, there is NOTHING on DPO on this at all. Dater must be at a KISS convention or something.

Then they'll trade him next summer for some defensive help. Looks like the "who is going to be the 1-2 punch at center" solved itself.

Hope I'm wrong.

Old
12-07-2012, 12:58 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
No doubt this sets a limit for how much low balling Avs can do. It's not the end of the world. Avs are trying to use their leverage, O'Reilly his. It's business, not personal.

We have no idea what his salary in KHL is, we have no idea what the deal is with the Russian team but when the team itself claims there is an agreement that he can leave for the NHL once the lockout ends, you'd have to be a conspiracy nut to imagine it being a problem.

In a bad movie the evil Russian team will force the good Canadian kid to play for them because they tricked him into signing with them. In reality, it's more "thanks and good luck".
Well, I'm assuming it's for $5M+...I'd be surprised if it was less than that.

Old
12-07-2012, 01:01 PM
Kloparren
Hth

Hahah ****in Sherman your move.

Should've never gotten this far but I would've done the same thing if I were him. I would've signed with some team on Sep 15th for a full one or two yr deal though I would've signed in Sweden instead of the KHL but still. Kid needs $ and playing time and if this is the way to get the best deal then more power for him.

I'm not concerned about him returning to Colorado but I'm concerned mgmt will pull off a wacky trade due to this.

Old
12-07-2012, 01:01 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
People tend to forget that RoR was given EVERY opportunity to succeed last season and after ONE good season (and 2 decent seasons as 3rd line center), he wants to break the bank as a 21 year old, 3 year veteran??
The first two months he got 35% offensive zone starts playing with Landeskog and Winnik. O'Reilly wasn't handed anything. The more offensive role and PP time he got the second half of the season, he earned through his play.

We have no reason to assume he wants to break the bank. Given Avs history with RFAs there is a bigger chance they want to underpay him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Well, I'm assuming it's for $5M+...I'd be surprised if it was less than that.
And I'd be very surprised if it's even close to that. Like I said. We have no idea.

Old
12-07-2012, 01:19 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
For all we know, the KHL GM wanted to retain O'Reilly's KHL rights for a 2nd year if the NHL lockout were to continue another season.

I'm surprised people here would at all question that O'Reilly would be back.

Old
12-07-2012, 01:20 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
The first two months he got 35% offensive zone starts playing with Landeskog and Winnik. O'Reilly wasn't handed anything. The more offensive role and PP time he got the second half of the season, he earned through his play.

We have no reason to assume he wants to break the bank. Given Avs history with RFAs there is a bigger chance they want to underpay him.
I'm not saying he didn't earn it, I'm saying it's a pretty small sample to be paying someone more than $3.5M for example, which is what I'm basing my argument on. I believe that's where his value is, or somewhere close to that. I have to believe that since he isn't signed and we now have this development happening, that he wants much more than that.

Hey, I'm not saying it's impossible that the negotiations between he and the team were close and that it's between $3M and $4M and he signed a contract in Russia for 2 years for somewhere within those parameters and he even called the Avs ahead of time to tell them he was gonna do it. I'm just saying it's unlikely. This just seems so much like trying to force the Avs to pay him what HE and HIS AGENT feels he is worth and that kind of situation will not end well for him in Colorado.

Old
12-07-2012, 01:23 PM
Kschey
Avs/BorussiaDortmund

This really makes me feel concerned as well.
I think it's difficult to discuss if Ryan will be back with the Avs or not as we don't know how the negotiations were going on..
All I know is, if the Avs let him go, probably just because he wanted a bit more money I'll be even more angry about it than about the lockout and this would make it really hard to watch Avs hockey for the next time.

Old
12-07-2012, 02:22 PM
RobinDIF
Reunite ROR & Landy!

Any rumours what so ever on how much money O'Reilly is on with this contract? I mean how high will we have to go to match it? $4.0? 4.5?

Old
vorky
@vorkywh24

There is a mess. Seems many people dont understand KHL rules.

What we know? Magnitogorsk says it is verbal deal (official website), agent says it is opt out clause (eurolanche.com)

1.Verbal deal is not legally binding in KHL

Quote:
Статья 16. Общие положения
11. Контракт является полным соглашением между сторонами. Устные договоренности не имеют силы. Все изменения в Стандартном Контракте Хоккеиста КХЛ после его регистрации в ЦИБ КХЛ категорически запрещаются.
Quote:
Paragraph 16. Generall Issues
11. Contract (written, standard KHL player contract) is fully agreement among both contractors (player and club). Verbal agreements are not legally binding. No amendments of contract are allowed after registration of contract in KHL CIB (information system of KHL, hope NHL has the same)
2. KHL contract does not include opt out clause

Quote:
Статья 17. Недопустимость особых условий в Стандартном Контракте Хоккеиста КХЛ
2. Запрещается наличие условий относительно досрочного расторжения или приостановления Контрактов в связи с отъездом Игроков в Клубы других хоккейных лиг или федераций.
Quote:
Paragraph 16. Banned conditions of contract
2. It is not allowed to include into contract a opt out condition/clause which means termination of contract in the case if a players signs contract with club of another league or hockey federation.
both here

GM of Magnitogorsk said there is verbal deal that Ryan will stay this season in KHL (lockout ot not). Yes, this deal can be changed.

Last edited by vorky: 12-07-2012 at 03:42 PM.
Old
cstu

Dater article with quote from ROR's agent:

http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2012...hl-team/12001/

Quote:
“No good reason not to,” Guy told me. “It’s a very good deal for Ryan. He has an opt-out clause and if the lockout continues or we can’t reach an agreement (with the Avalanche) he can play with his brother.”
Doesn't sound like his plans are to stick around in the KHL if the NHL is back...

Old
12-07-2012, 02:24 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstu View Post
Doesn't sound like his plans are to stick around in the KHL if the NHL is back...
His brother also has a two-year deal.

Maybe Avs should have just picked him up this summer to make O'Reilly happy?

Hope this prevents people from continuing to overreact.

Old
12-07-2012, 02:31 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 291
If ROR gets Drury'd out of town im done with this team unless and until Pierre Lacroix is gone from the organization.

Old
12-07-2012, 02:48 PM
Jeff_Dyck_#1
Est. MMII

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kingslayer View Post
If ROR gets Drury'd out of town im done with this team unless and until Pierre Lacroix is gone from the organization.

This!!!

Old
12-07-2012, 03:41 PM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

vCash: 142
if there was no salary cap, I could see ROR being traded. But his production per dollar spent is far too valuable to sacrifice out of spite

Old
12-07-2012, 03:43 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

edit #88
translation to english

Old
12-07-2012, 03:46 PM
Ceremony
Transcendence

vCash: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAZ View Post
Ding! Plus it makes no sense to get rid of the guy who led the team in scoring the last time we played.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse21 View Post
this could be a franchise killer.
we cant rely on Duchene and Stastny
I'd much rather rely on the guy whose career high is 55 points.

ďItís embarrassing. Iím embarrassed to be here right now. Itís not even funny. And itís just embarrassing, the way we, you know, the energy we have in the room and the way we approach practices and the way we approach this game. Itís not how youíre going to win any games in this league." - Jean-Sebastien Giguere, April 8 2013
Old
12-07-2012, 03:54 PM
Soedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
For all we know, the KHL GM wanted to retain O'Reilly's KHL rights for a 2nd year if the NHL lockout were to continue another season.

I'm surprised people here would at all question that O'Reilly would be back.
THIS. I could believe deal already made with the avs but cant get public. Strongly believe he'll be back for training camp. And nowhere near 5 mio. More around 3.

Old
12-07-2012, 03:58 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
I'm not worried about him staying in Russia once the lockout ends but I wonder how much money they gave him. He's not good enough or a big enough name to get some ridiculous overpayment but Avs management won't like this if it's significantly more than what they were offering him. Signing in Russia for an amount the Avs weren't willing to give him and forcing them to match to bring him back over probably won't sit well with them. Sherman might feel differently than Lacroix did and he might not hold a grudge but in the past, the Avs wouldn't take too kindly to being bullied by a player. Which is what O'Reilly and his agent are doing if this contract is paying him a lot of money.

But I also can't see a 21 year old Canadian wanting to stay in Russia if the NHL is back so maybe he only took a deal that he knows will be matched for sure.

Old
12-07-2012, 04:01 PM
Hennessy
Blank Space

vCash: 1100
He's done as an Av. Remember what they did to Drury? Or anyone who played hardball? It doesn't matter if he's coming back to the NHL or not. Doing this as an RFA punks the Avs and they won't abide by it.

Also, for everyone saying it's no big deal, how do you know? We don't even know what he signed for. He might not be leaving until someone throws 6 million at him. We all know what he can bring, and his potential to do more, but the fact remains that he's had a mere 3 years in the league with a high of 55 points. And now he's taken the team hostage with demands we don't even know the extent of.

Old
12-07-2012, 04:02 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
I'm not worried about him staying in Russia once the lockout ends but I wonder how much money they gave him. He's not good enough or a big enough name to get some ridiculous overpayment but Avs management won't like this if it's significantly more than what they were offering him. Signing in Russia for an amount the Avs weren't willing to give him and forcing them to match to bring him back over probably won't sit well with them. Sherman might feel differently than Lacroix did and he might not hold a grudge but in the past, the Avs wouldn't take too kindly to being bullied by a player. Which is what O'Reilly and his agent are doing if this contract is paying him a lot of money.

But I also can't see a 21 year old Canadian wanting to stay in Russia if the NHL is back so maybe he only took a deal that he knows will be matched for sure.
Bingo. It'll probably between $2.5M-$3M. Fair but something he knows Avs will be able to beat. Just my guess, of course.

As for Sherman and his MO. I can't think of a single player move by him that didn't have one or more of these elements.

* helps fill a team need (Shattenkirk, Quincey, Stewart)
* moving a player with questionable work ethic/compete level (Stewart, Wolski)
* a player that didn't work out here for one reason or another (Galiardi, Anderson)
* a player that was looking for too much money on the next contract (Winnik, Quincey)

I just don't see Avs front office being this group of easily offended guys that decides because a player wants to get paid he can't stay. It might have been so in the past but these days it seems to be all about building a team that plays the right way and there are few players on Avs that fits better for what I think is their vision of Avs hockey than O'Reilly.

Last edited by Freudian: 12-07-2012 at 04:09 PM.
Old
12-07-2012, 04:20 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
I agree, Sherman has done nothing to suggest he would get rid of O'Reilly because of this. Having a guy like Sakic in the front office can't hurt either. He knows how these things go when it comes to contracts.

Closed Thread