HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

RW/C Ryan Strome (2011, 5th overall, Islanders)

Old
12-07-2012, 08:20 AM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
Might be his last home game if the lockout ends. Although as an Islanders fan I rather they just keep him in junior for the rest of the year(don't need him playing in NY and get like 15 points in 50 games on the third line with marginal PP time)
I agree that he should finish the year in Niagara regardless of what happens with the NHL, but if he were brought to Long Island I highly doubt he'd be anywhere below the top-2 lines. He would probably center Bailey and Okposo on the 2nd line, IMO.

That said, I highly doubt there will be a season this year so we don't have much to worry about as far as Strome is concerned.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 08:58 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal Impact FC View Post
No matter what Galchenyuk do it seems Strome is another stromosphere right now lol he just keep that 10 point gap its amazing... lets hope he gets cold so my Galchy can finnish leading scorer
Put Galchenyuk on Niagra and Strome in Sarnia and the scoring race would be reversed.

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 09:21 AM
seafoam
Fluorescent Adolescent

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
I agree that he should finish the year in Niagara regardless of what happens with the NHL, but if he were brought to Long Island I highly doubt he'd be anywhere below the top-2 lines. He would probably center Bailey and Okposo on the 2nd line, IMO.

That said, I highly doubt there will be a season this year so we don't have much to worry about as far as Strome is concerned.
When Strome comes up I hope he plays with Okposo, I think Kyle's game is the closest to Brett Ritchie's currently on our roster, someone he has shown great chemistry with.

seafoam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 09:25 AM
seafoam
Fluorescent Adolescent

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
Put Galchenyuk on Niagra and Strome in Sarnia and the scoring race would be reversed.
I'm not so sure their numbers would be reversed. Niagra is a not a team with great depth, the first line consisting of Theoret-Strome-Ritchie has tremendous chemistry and has been carrying this team along with Hamilton.

seafoam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 09:34 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
I'm not so sure their numbers would be reversed. Niagra is a not a team with great depth, the first line consisting of Theoret-Strome-Ritchie has tremendous chemistry and has been carrying this team along with Hamilton.
Ritchie is better than both Sarault and Boucher but the main advantage that Strome has is Hamilton, who is leaps and bounds better than any defender on Sarnia. Hamilton drastically increases the amount of time that is spent inside of the opposition's offensive zone. Both Niagra and Sarnia are seriously lacking in forward depth but Strome has far superior players on the ice with him whereas Galchenyuk really has to create everything for his linemates.

Both are great prospects but it is easy to suggest that there would be a ten point swing for both players in the opposite circumstances.

Old
12-07-2012, 09:47 AM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Quote:
Ritchie is better than both Sarault and Boucher but the main advantage that Strome has is Hamilton, who is leaps and bounds better than any defender on Sarnia. Hamilton drastically increases the amount of time that is spent inside of the opposition's offensive zone. Both Niagra and Sarnia are seriously lacking in forward depth but Strome has far superior players on the ice with him whereas Galchenyuk really has to create everything for his linemates.

Both are great prospects but it is easy to suggest that there would be a ten point swing for both players in the opposite circumstances.
Not necessarily. Back in 10/11 Galchenyuk had Yakupov on his wing and Strome still outscored him. Granted he's a year older, but I don't see how you can say with certainty that AG would be outperforming Strome if they switched teams.

2010/11(Galchenyuk's last full season):

Alex Galchenyuk: 68 games: 31G - 52A - 83P

Ryan Strome: 65 games: 33G - 73A - 106P

Old
12-07-2012, 10:02 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Really?

Personally, I don't care about a comparing the players. All I care about is that Strome has been consistently skating with his head on a swivel, setting up his linemates with accurate, hard passes. When defenders play the lanes, he shoots. And he plays the whole ice. That's really all I care about.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 10:08 AM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
Really?

Personally, I don't care about a comparing the players. All I care about is that Strome has been consistently skating with his head on a swivel, setting up his linemates with accurate, hard passes. When defenders play the lanes, he shoots. And he plays the whole ice. That's really all I care about.

Cheers,

Dan-o
Strome was drafted 5th, while Galchenyuk was drafted 3rd, so clearly he's a better player.

Old
12-07-2012, 10:35 AM
StumpNYI

The scary thing is we were one pick away from getting Galchenyuk too (who I really really wanted ) ERMERRGERD!

StumpNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 10:41 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
Really?

Cheers,

Dan-o
Strome is a great prospect. I didn't intend any disrespect.

Old
12-07-2012, 10:45 AM
jedimyrmidon

Quote:
Not necessarily. Back in 10/11 Galchenyuk had Yakupov on his wing and Strome still outscored him. Granted he's a year older, but I don't see how you can say with certainty that AG would be outperforming Strome if they switched teams.

I'm not sure if this comparison is fair.

Galchenyuk's last full season also happened to be his rookie season (same for Yakupov) where he and Yakupov were already put on the top line. Makes for a tough comparison.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, the IceDogs had quite a bit of depth back in 2010-2011, much more than this season. I know the +/- stat is not the be-all end-all indicator of defensive play, but there were so many on that 2010-2011 IceDogs team with high +/-'s including Strome who has been knocked on for a poor defensive game.

I've seen many posts stating that Strome has become much more of a two way player this season, which tends to validate the previous statement that Strome was lacking defensively before, and yet he was a +28 that year. So his stats from 2010-2011 indicate to me that he was allowed to concentrate almost exclusively on offense while not having to really worry about the other half of his game.

jedimyrmidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 10:51 AM

Quote:

Galchenyuk was a 16 year old rookie, Strome was in his draft year. Do you realize how rare it is for a 16 year old to put up those numbers? only exceptional players can get 83 points as a 16 year old,

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 11:05 AM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
Galchenyuk was a 16 year old rookie, Strome was in his draft year. Do you realize how rare it is for a 16 year old to put up those numbers? only exceptional players can get 83 points as a 16 year old,
I figured I'd get this response. I get it. It was impressive. But I'm sure Nail Yakupov made up for any advantage Strome may have had with his 7-month age diffferential.

Either way, if Strome's age is that much of an advantage, I don't know how you or anyone could say that Galchenyuk would be outperforming him if they switched teams.

Old
12-07-2012, 11:05 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
Not to say that Galchenyuk isn't exceptional, but it's worth noting that Strome is only 6 months older.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 11:35 AM
jedimyrmidon

Quote:
I figured I'd get this response. I get it. It was impressive. But I'm sure Nail Yakupov made up for any advantage Strome may have had with his 7-month age diffferential.

Either way, if Strome's age is that much of an advantage, I don't know how you or anyone could say that Galchenyuk would be outperforming him if they switched teams.
Your dismissive tone makes it sound like you don't get it, and to somehow easily conclude that Yakupov is an age-difference equalizer, not sure what to make of it. Strome was not "alone" on his team producing that year (2010-2011). Not by a long shot. By the looks of it, there were many point-producing players AND a good defense.

jedimyrmidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 11:39 AM
Buckets and Gloves
10 AVE FREEZE OUT

Strome is flat out the best skater on the ice on a nightly basis.

Kid flys out there, he has really taken it to another level.

AS for the the Galy comment... Niagara isn't really good this year, they have 3 guys who carry the team on their back (Hamilton, Ritchie and Strome)... yes it helps... but Strome is the straw that stirs the drink out there... Ritchie is good, but he is phenominal now because Strome makes him that much better.

I think Strome should finish in Niagara regardless of NHL outcome (mainly so Dogs can trade him for a King's ransom and build their prospect pool/depth for a run when new arena comes)

In the future though, see this kid playing RW beside Johnny T... the creativity of both of these guys and offensive instincts are off the charts and will be a deadly combo... I can see it now... Strome coming around the opponents net, backhand no look pass to Johnny T for the bury.... over and over and over again.

Really think Strome will be a 65-80 point player who is defensively sound... like a Justin Williams or Patrick Sharp type player

Buckets and Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 11:42 AM
startainfection

the last player to finish a season averaging 2ppg in the ohl was john tavares who finished at 2ppg in 2 consecutive seasons and before that was patrick kane

and before them it was common

startainfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 11:47 AM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by startainfection View Post
the last player to finish a season averaging 2ppg in the ohl was john tavares who finished at 2ppg in 2 consecutive seasons and before that was patrick kane
Yeah, but JT and Kane did it during or prior to their draft years if I'm not mistaken.

Strome is playing lights out and has really developed his game and Isles fans should be happy about that. I personally do not want him anywhere near LI if the lockout is over. Let him finish out the year in Niagara (or elsewhere because he's probably going to be shipped off to a contender), go to the WJC, and finish the season strong.

One more stint in the Dungeon in the offseason with Johnny and Co. should do him a world of good in the AHL (or NHL) next season. We finally have a premium center prospect (that wasn't rushed) and I'd like to keep it that way. Besides, Strome has to compete with Nelson (who has really impressed this year) to even get a shot on the big club.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 12:14 PM
startainfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Yeah, but JT and Kane did it during or prior to their draft years if I'm not mistaken.

Strome is playing lights out and has really developed his game and Isles fans should be happy about that. I personally do not want him anywhere near LI if the lockout is over. Let him finish out the year in Niagara (or elsewhere because he's probably going to be shipped off to a contender), go to the WJC, and finish the season strong.

One more stint in the Dungeon in the offseason with Johnny and Co. should do him a world of good in the AHL (or NHL) next season. We finally have a premium center prospect (that wasn't rushed) and I'd like to keep it that way. Besides, Strome has to compete with Nelson (who has really impressed this year) to even get a shot on the big club.
i wasn't implying that strome was going to be as good as either of them, i was just stating that it has been a while since someone posting 2ppg in the ohl

Old
12-07-2012, 12:23 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Big Brock

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post

That's a very true statement. To be honest, when Strome didn't have a great year last year, I was very worried he stalled and wouldn't reach his potential, and we would have another bust on our hands. It sounds like he's really picked up his game and it's been all him, not a product of another player or the system he plays in. I'm much more confident in Strome now that he can be a dynamic #2 center behind our golden boy JT.

Hopefully he's what Islander fans wanted Bailey to be, but better.

SLAPSHOT723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 12:26 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Big Brock

For those who said Niagara is not a good team, do you think there's a chance he gets traded to a contender like London for a Memorial Cup run? Doesn't seem like Niagara is doing poorly in the standings.

SLAPSHOT723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 12:35 PM
startainfection

i don't understand how they aren't a contender when they have the best center and best dman in the ohl

are their other players really that bad?

Old
12-07-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
i don't understand how they aren't a contender when they have the best center and best dman in the ohl

outside of Ritchie, Strome, and Hamilton yes they are quite bleak. They have a couple young guys who look promising, and guys like Graham, Theoret, and Shipley are solid OHL players. They could contend if they added 2-3 good OHL players.

Old
12-07-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
For those who said Niagara is not a good team, do you think there's a chance he gets traded to a contender like London for a Memorial Cup run? Doesn't seem like Niagara is doing poorly in the standings.
I dont think he will be traded, if the lockout continues they have the best center and defenceman in the CHL, also a top player in Ritchie. They also have Theoret who is a good underrated player. If anything I think they would try and add a couple players. If they trade Strome would think Hamilton and Ritchie would be moved aswell. Owen Sound could use all 3 of those guys.

Old
12-07-2012, 12:57 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:

Because Strome is on the ice 33% of the time and Hamilton 40%..............ther are 19 other players on the ice for the majority of the game.