Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

Pouliot v Voloshenko

Old
05-25-2006, 04:58 PM
Svatos4MVP

vCash: 500
Pouliot v Voloshenko

Who do oyu think will end up being the better player, Benoit Pouliot or Roman Voloshenko? Both guys play left wing, so eventually they will have to compete with each other to see who will play on the top 2 lines. Which prospect do you think has the better offensive potential? Thanks!

Svatos4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2006, 05:57 PM
Goldy

Pouliot will be the better player if he gets a better work ethic. He has all the tools to be a superstar. Voloshenko can be a good player, but he will never be the elite skater that Pouliot is.

Goldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2006, 08:43 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

I think voloshenko is a product of who is setting the table for him, while Pouliot can make stuff happen

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2006, 01:41 AM
TeamSeals

I think VOlo will get first shot after Sully and Pouliot will spend all his time in the A next year. Should be interesting to see how each develops and who produces better for the WIld in the future

TeamSeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2006, 01:47 AM
Chrisd

gimme voloshenko.

Chrisd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2006, 02:31 AM
DRReclusive

I agree that Pouliots work ethic and desire are constantly an issue, but skill wise Pouliot wins hands down.

DRReclusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2006, 07:59 AM
Chrisd

there only a few months apart age wise...

People can say what they want roman had great linemates whatever the argument is, but goals don't go into the net on their own, for a 19 yr old kid to pot that many in the AHL is impressive.

He might not be the all around player, who knows, but I can see him being the guy who scores lots of goals, something this team needs, even if goals outweigh his assist totals thats fine.

Chrisd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2006, 09:19 AM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
Is Voloschenko big enough to hang around in front of the net? If so, they might compliment each other quite nicely.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2006, 12:13 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

I think I read or heard that Voloshenko is a goal-crease banger, something Minnesota needs desperately. A guy that hangs around the crease.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2006, 08:29 AM
DWP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoobieDoobieDo
I think I read or heard that Voloshenko is a goal-crease banger, something Minnesota needs desperately. A guy that hangs around the crease.
I can't comment on what you might have read. But I have seen Voloshenko play. I would not exactly refer to him as a goal-crease banger. Meaning: He doesn't push his way around and fight for position and thus giving opposing defensemen fits. But he is effective at hanging in open areas around the net and pounding home the occasional loose rebound. I would describe him as an opportunist who does not shy away from the traffic. How this translates into the NHL game, I'm reluctant to guess. He's a sniper. And he needs more work skating and puck handling.

DWP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2006, 09:27 AM
Wild Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWP
I can't comment on what you might have read. But I have seen Voloshenko play. I would not exactly refer to him as a goal-crease banger. Meaning: He doesn't push his way around and fight for position and thus giving opposing defensemen fits. But he is effective at hanging in open areas around the net and pounding home the occasional loose rebound. I would describe him as an opportunist who does not shy away from the traffic. How this translates into the NHL game, I'm reluctant to guess. He's a sniper. And he needs more work skating and puck handling.
DWP, you've obviously seen a lot more of him than I have. But from what I've seen of him, I often draw a comparison between him and Dino Ciccarelli - another guy who couldn't skate worth a damn, wasn't very big, and didn't want the puck until he was ready to shoot, but was willing to pay the price for being in the slot, always seemed to be in the right place when the puck got there, and was absolutely deadly accurate when it left his stick. From what you've seen, do you think this comparison is accurate, or am i reaching here?

Wild Thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2006, 09:55 AM
DWP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Thing
DWP, you've obviously seen a lot more of him than I have. But from what I've seen of him, I often draw a comparison between him and Dino Ciccarelli - another guy who couldn't skate worth a damn, wasn't very big, and didn't want the puck until he was ready to shoot, but was willing to pay the price for being in the slot, always seemed to be in the right place when the puck got there, and was absolutely deadly accurate when it left his stick. From what you've seen, do you think this comparison is accurate, or am i reaching here?

Yes, I would characterize him that way. It's not that he is necessarily a poor skater. He can play defense effectively. I think he can't move the puck well in traffic. At the AHL level, I'd say he's OK passing and moving the puck up the ice. He can do some forechecking. He's all right fighting for possesion in scrums along the boards. Basically, his sniping abilities are far more advanced than the other parts of the game. But he does have that knack of being in the right places at the right time and he can finish.

DWP is offline   Reply With Quote