HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dmitri Jaskin - Signed to 3 year deal by Blues

Old
11-28-2012, 04:55 PM
stlweir

vCash: 500
None of the three are centers. It would be great if we could get a scouting report on those three. Skating Is always my first question.

stlweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 07:52 PM
stlweir

Jaskin 2 goals and 2 assists tonight. He is rolling. He is 1 point behind the league scoring leaders.

Last edited by stlweir: 12-01-2012 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Add
Old
11-30-2012, 10:17 PM
h22prelude93

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlweir View Post
Jaskin 2 goals and 2 assists tonight. He is rolling.
Yeah he is. With 45 points he's now ranked 3rd behind only Currie and MacKinnon. He's also ranked 1st in shots(140), and 1st in dangerous shots(99). I couldn't find a ranking for hits, but I'd be willing to bet that he's near the top of that list too.

h22prelude93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 07:34 PM
stlweir

Jaskin no points tonight. Spent 8 minutes in the sin bin. Still had time for 6 hits.

Old
12-02-2012, 07:20 PM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

Quote:
Jaskin no points tonight. Spent 8 minutes in the sin bin. Still had time for 6 hits.
Even without ny points, he still dominated the game. He makes a difference every shift, he set the tone physically early and never let up. Hit and hit he created tons of energy for the team. Yanick Jean(Victoriaville's coach) mentioned in the Times and Transcipt that "Jaskin is the best player his team has faced this season". He'd argue he's second to none in the QMJHL which states alot with this year's great pool of players. Duffy,Currie,MacKinnon, Grigorenko, Kucherov, Drouin, Mantha,Gauthier, Carrier,Huberdeau, Saulniers, Straka etc etc the list goes on and on...

WildcatMapleLeafs28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 09:55 PM
jessejames

Thanks Wildcat -- I really appreciate your input/updates on Jaskin. Wow, he's an exciting young player. Is there one thing that stands out in his game, above other
aspects, I mean.
I'm thinking that he must be considered now amongst the Blues' top four or five prospects, along with Tarasenko, Schwartz, Rattie, and maybe Cole.

jessejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 01:07 AM
stlweir

Thanks for the info. High praise for Jaskin. Exciting to have Jaskin and Rattie coming in behind Schwartz and Tarasenko. If only there was Blues hockey.

Old
12-03-2012, 10:01 AM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessejames View Post
Thanks Wildcat -- I really appreciate your input/updates on Jaskin. Wow, he's an exciting young player. Is there one thing that stands out in his game, above other
aspects, I mean.
I'm thinking that he must be considered now amongst the Blues' top four or five prospects, along with Tarasenko, Schwartz, Rattie, and maybe Cole.
He's next to impossible to knock off the puck. That's one thing that's very noticable every game and is due to his strength. He posseses a great one-timer slap shot and has dead on accuracy. His wrister is also one of his tools, overall his shooting ability is hard to beat among QMJHL players. He's also reliable defensively. He finishes his checks and plays a very physical game. Jaskin is the last thing from a perimeter player, he goes through his opponents. He's very good with his stick and strips opponents of the puck with such ease. Dmitri is definately among the Blues' top prospects (arguably top3) behind only Tarasenko, Rattie and Schwartz(IMO, he'll have more success at the NHL level than Schwartz cause of strength, size and defensive play)

Old
12-03-2012, 11:09 AM
PerryTurnbullfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcatMapleLeafs28 View Post
He's next to impossible to knock off the puck. That's one thing that's very noticable every game and is due to his strength. He posseses a great one-timer slap shot and has dead on accuracy. His wrister is also one of his tools, overall his shooting ability is hard to beat among QMJHL players. He's also reliable defensively. He finishes his checks and plays a very physical game. Jaskin is the last thing from a perimeter player, he goes through his opponents. He's very good with his stick and strips opponents of the puck with such ease. Dmitri is definately among the Blues' top prospects (arguably top3) behind only Tarasenko, Rattie and Schwartz(IMO, he'll have more success at the NHL level than Schwartz cause of strength, size and defensive play)
Given his size and skill, I would think he may surpass Rattie and Schwartz as a legitimate NHL prospect. Not downplaying either of their ability, but size is a crucial element to handle the grind. Rattie and Schwartz both are smaller players, but moxy can make up for it...just ask Theo Fleury.

PerryTurnbullfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 12:56 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

QMJHL 1st star of November! 25 points in 10 games.

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 05:09 PM
h22prelude93

We're not the only ones getting excited about this kid....

Quote:
@chriskerber Ken Hitchcock said yesterday that Jaskin reminded him of Jagr in respect to size & how he protects the puck. Hitch also said he saw him create 9 scoring chances on his own in a game. Armstrong said goal @ this year is to get him signed

Old
12-03-2012, 09:43 PM
stlweir

What kind of speed does Jaskin have?

Old
12-03-2012, 10:11 PM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

Quote:
What kind of speed does Jaskin have?
Good speed too. Some people questioned his skating abilities after his knee injury but it's as good as ever. Strong skater, big long strides, decent speed.

Old
12-03-2012, 11:16 PM
stlweir

Love those power forwards.

Old
12-04-2012, 01:25 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Seeing Jaskin's development this season underscores why that 2011 draft was the perfect draft to lose a first and have three early seconds. From roughly 20-50, each of those guys could've gone in the first round, as they were roughly on the same plateau. It was up to scouts to distinguish where the real value was and the Blues snagged Rattie and Jaskin who have each emerged in juniors to look like shoulda-been first rounders.

Let's look at the guys taken after Baertschi:

14. Jamie Oleksiak (DAL)
15. J.T. Miller (NYR)
16. Joel Armia (BUF)
17. Nathan Beaulieu (MTL)
18. Mark McNeill (CHI)
19. Oscar Klefbom (EDM)
20. Connor Murphy (PHX)
21. Stefan Noesen (OTT)
22. Tyler Biggs (TOR)
23. Joe Morrow (PIT)
24. Matt Puempel (OTT)
25. Stu Percy (TOR)
26. Philip Danault (CHI)
27. Vladislav Namestnikov (TB)
28. Zach Phillips (MIN)
29. Nicklas Jensen (VAN)
30. Rickard Rakell (ANA)
31. David Musil (EDM)
32. Ty Rattie (STL)
33. Rocco Grimaldi (FLA)
34. Scott Mayfield (NYI)
35. Tomas Jurco (DET)
36. Adam Clenending (CHI)
37. Boone Jenner (CBJ)
38. Magnus Hellberg (NSH)
39. John Gibson (ANA)
40. Alexander Khokhlachev (BOS)
41. Dmitrij Jaskin (STL)
42. Victor Rask (CAR)
43. Brandon Saad (CHI)
44. Brett Ritchie (DAL)
45. Marcus Granlund (CGY)
46. Joel Edmundson (STL)
47. Matthew Nieto (SJ)
48. Xavier Ouellet (DET)
49. Christopher Gibson (LAK)
50. Johan Sundstrom (NYI)

That group looks pretty strong thus far in its collective development. Blues certainly did as well as anyone.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 02:46 PM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Seeing Jaskin's development this season underscores why that 2011 draft was the perfect draft to lose a first and have three early seconds. From roughly 20-50, each of those guys could've gone in the first round, as they were roughly on the same plateau. It was up to scouts to distinguish where the real value was and the Blues snagged Rattie and Jaskin who have each emerged in juniors to look like shoulda-been first rounders.

Let's look at the guys taken after Baertschi:

14. Jamie Oleksiak (DAL)
15. J.T. Miller (NYR)
16. Joel Armia (BUF)
17. Nathan Beaulieu (MTL)
18. Mark McNeill (CHI)
19. Oscar Klefbom (EDM)
20. Connor Murphy (PHX)
21. Stefan Noesen (OTT)
22. Tyler Biggs (TOR)
23. Joe Morrow (PIT)
24. Matt Puempel (OTT)
25. Stu Percy (TOR)
26. Philip Danault (CHI)
27. Vladislav Namestnikov (TB)
28. Zach Phillips (MIN)
29. Nicklas Jensen (VAN)
30. Rickard Rakell (ANA)
31. David Musil (EDM)
32. Ty Rattie (STL)
33. Rocco Grimaldi (FLA)
34. Scott Mayfield (NYI)
35. Tomas Jurco (DET)
36. Adam Clenending (CHI)
37. Boone Jenner (CBJ)
38. Magnus Hellberg (NSH)
39. John Gibson (ANA)
40. Alexander Khokhlachev (BOS)
41. Dmitrij Jaskin (STL)
42. Victor Rask (CAR)
43. Brandon Saad (CHI)
44. Brett Ritchie (DAL)
45. Marcus Granlund (CGY)
46. Joel Edmundson (STL)
47. Matthew Nieto (SJ)
48. Xavier Ouellet (DET)
49. Christopher Gibson (LAK)
50. Johan Sundstrom (NYI)

That group looks pretty strong thus far in its collective development. Blues certainly did as well as anyone.
Yeah. I think the Blues did really well in the 2011 draft. We're still years away from seeing what it produces but as things look now, I really like their draft. I would've taken Ouellet over Edmundson but I still think Edmundson has a good shot of developing into a defensive d-man. Assuming Rattie and Binnington make Canada's WJC team, of the 8 kids the Blues drafted in 2011, 4 will make their respective WJC teams (those two plus Jaskin and Lundstrom) and you can add a 5th in Eronen as he played for the Finns in the WJC a couple years ago. Of the other 3, I've already mentioned Edmundson but Veilleux and Tesink are showing a good amount of pro potential too.

I'll also note that the player the Avs took at 11th overall in 2011 (the Blues pick they traded to the Avs as part of the EJ trade with the Avs 2nd rounding going to the Blues which they used to pick Rattie), Duncan Siemens, has only been so-so since the draft and wasn't even invited to Canada's WJC camp. I never understood the hype on Siemens that year. I think I had him rated around 20th that year but the Avs targeting him at 11 was one of the worst kept secrets of the draft. Oh well. Of course, had the Blues kept that pick, I hope they would've selected Sven Bartschi (who went 13th to Calgary) as no offense to Rattie but I'd certainly take Bartschi over him. The Blues got VERY good value out of that draft and the EJ trade IMO.

Last edited by STL fan in IA: 12-04-2012 at 02:56 PM.
STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 06:05 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL fan in IA View Post
Yeah. I think the Blues did really well in the 2011 draft. We're still years away from seeing what it produces but as things look now, I really like their draft. I would've taken Ouellet over Edmundson but I still think Edmundson has a good shot of developing into a defensive d-man. Assuming Rattie and Binnington make Canada's WJC team, of the 8 kids the Blues drafted in 2011, 4 will make their respective WJC teams (those two plus Jaskin and Lundstrom) and you can add a 5th in Eronen as he played for the Finns in the WJC a couple years ago. Of the other 3, I've already mentioned Edmundson but Veilleux and Tesink are showing a good amount of pro potential too.

I'll also note that the player the Avs took at 11th overall in 2011 (the Blues pick they traded to the Avs as part of the EJ trade with the Avs 2nd rounding going to the Blues which they used to pick Rattie), Duncan Siemens, has only been so-so since the draft and wasn't even invited to Canada's WJC camp. I never understood the hype on Siemens that year. I think I had him rated around 20th that year but the Avs targeting him at 11 was one of the worst kept secrets of the draft. Oh well. Of course, had the Blues kept that pick, I hope they would've selected Sven Bartschi (who went 13th to Calgary) as no offense to Rattie but I'd certainly take Bartschi over him. The Blues got VERY good value out of that draft and the EJ trade IMO.
To be fair, he has to beat out a LOT of stiff competition to make the D squad. Hamilton, Rielly, Reinhart, Harrington etc. Obviously there are only 7-8 spots on D, as opposed to 14 or more forwards. I think he and Rattie are about even in terms of potential, which is great considering we got Rattie 21 spots later. I still think he'll be a solid player.

Old
12-04-2012, 08:01 PM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMo35 View Post
To be fair, he has to beat out a LOT of stiff competition to make the D squad. Hamilton, Rielly, Reinhart, Harrington etc. Obviously there are only 7-8 spots on D, as opposed to 14 or more forwards. I think he and Rattie are about even in terms of potential, which is great considering we got Rattie 21 spots later. I still think he'll be a solid player.
But he didn't even get invited to the camp.

bluesfan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 08:11 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfan94 View Post
But he didn't even get invited to the camp.
I understand that, but the point still remains. There are a lot more forwards invited to camp than Dmen. On top of that, the depth and talent of the Canadian Junior Dmen is unreal right now, especially with the lockout.

Old
12-04-2012, 08:26 PM
h22prelude93

Anyone else listen to Hitchcock on 590 with JR last night? Pretty good interview. He once again mentioned Jaskin. He said something to the effect of it's not often that he gets excited about a player, but he's been paying close attention to him and he's extremely excited for his future. He said quote "I'm telling you he looks like Jagr". He also mentioned that he's impressed with Jori Lehtera and his success this season in the KHL.

Old
12-04-2012, 08:36 PM
CarvinSigX

Nice to see I'm not the only one who sees the vintage Jagr in Jaskin's puck protection and body language...Now we just need him to put up a couple monster seasons.

CarvinSigX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 09:36 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

If we can get Lehtera and Jaskin in camp next season to compete for spots, it could be the first year in a long time that we will have truly offensive talents competing for spots and not just 4th line players. Jaskin most likely won't make the jump, Lehtera could have a chance, but with those two, Rattie, and Schwartz, there would definitely be some great competition, and that is only a good thing for us.

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 09:44 AM
stlweir

Jaskin with a goal and an assist last night. Don't know how many games hell miss for the WJC but he is pace to score 50 goals.

Old
12-07-2012, 01:54 PM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

Quote:
Jaskin with a goal and an assist last night. Don't know how many games hell miss for the WJC but he is pace to score 50 goals.
He'll miss 11 games..

Old
12-07-2012, 02:08 PM
stlweir

Wildcat,

Keep your reports coming. Thanks posting. Happy Holidays!