HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

1st in the East?

Closed Thread

Old
12-09-2003, 09:55 AM
leafaholix*

vCash: 500
1st in the East?

Who will finish #1 in the Eastern conference?

Philadelphia?
Ottawa?
New Jersey?
Toronto?
Boston?

Old
12-09-2003, 09:59 AM
MojoJojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by go pierre hedin

Philadelphia?
Ottawa?
New Jersey?
Toronto?
Boston?
Here come the Leaf fans.

Old
12-09-2003, 09:59 AM
Inertiatic

Toronto really stands out on the list.. for teams that don't belong there.

New Jersey with Philly a close second. Like I said, Toronto is at least two or three steps behind those mentioned. (And I despise the Bruins)

Old
12-09-2003, 10:10 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:

Philadelphia?
Ottawa?
New Jersey?
Toronto?
Boston?
It won't be the Leafs or Boston. Before the season started I said Ottawa, they still could do it, but right now IMO it will either be Philly or New Jersey.

I'd give the Flyers a slight edge, but would like to see what happens during this weekends home & home with the Devils.

Old
12-09-2003, 10:16 AM
BruinsGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
It won't be the Leafs or Boston. Before the season started I said Ottawa, they still could do it, but right now IMO it will either be Philly or New Jersey.

I'd give the Flyers a slight edge, but would like to see what happens during this weekends home & home with the Devils.
I am not saying that B's will be #1 but 2 years back they did finish first despite the Flyers being a stronger team. (well at least on paper)

Old
12-09-2003, 10:19 AM
leafaholix*

The first 3 that responded, please explain why Toronto should not be on the list?

The Leafs have played 10 of 28 games at home... and are second in the NHL standings.

I'd love to know what this team's lacking, offense, no... goaltending, no... grit, no... and it's a given that Ferguson will pick up a fine top 4 defenseman by the deadline.

Old
12-09-2003, 10:37 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
The first 3 that responded, please explain why Toronto should not be on the list?

The Leafs have played 10 of 28 games at home... and are second in the NHL standings.

I'd love to know what this team's lacking, offense, no... goaltending, no... grit, no... and it's a given that Ferguson will pick up a fine top 4 defenseman by the deadline.

#1. Toronto isn't really 2nd in the standings. The Devils are 3 points back with 3 games in hand.

#2. You asked for opinions, could Toronto finish #1 in the East, yes they could, but I don't see it happeneing. There are better teams.

#3. Is this top 4 defenseman going to fall out of the sky ?? Leafs have needed help on their blueline for years and haven't addressed the needs.

Old
12-09-2003, 10:40 AM
BruinsGirl

I personally think that threads like this are meaningless in the beginning of the December.

Example. People have a very short memory. The most popular belief on this board is that the B's usually start good and then go into the huge slump. 2 years ago 2001-2002 they started slow...but December, January were months during which B's where extremely successful.(same in 2000/2001)

Also because there are 30 teams in the NHL to be a division leader team doesn't have to necessarily have a winning record against division rivals. In 2001 - 2002 B's were 1 - 4 - 0 - 0 ( that 1 one win was in OT) and I believe had loosing record against Ottawa and still were #1 in division.

To go pierre hedin: Just remember when team hot you'll never know what team's needs. It's slump will show you that.

Old
12-09-2003, 10:52 AM
leafaholix*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsGirl
To go pierre hedin: Just remember when team hot you'll never know what team's needs. It's slump will show you that.
I know exactly what this team needs... DEFENSE.

But right now they're playing great as a group.

This team doesn't need anymore offense or grit.

Old
12-09-2003, 11:00 AM
tmg

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
#1. Toronto isn't really 2nd in the standings. The Devils are 3 points back with 3 games in hand.
Not to mention St Louis (4 pts behind Leafs with 4 games in hand) and Colorado (1 point behind, 1 game in hand). Adjusted for games in hand, (IE, by point percentage) the Leafs are 5th in the NHL, not second.

Why, again, does the NHL use this antiquated 'points'-based standings, rather than a percentage-based or games-behind-leader-based system? To make Leafs and Wings fans feel temporarily better about their team by providing the illusion of domination?

Old
12-09-2003, 11:12 AM
BruinsGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmg
Not to mention St Louis (4 pts behind Leafs with 4 games in hand) and Colorado (1 point behind, 1 game in hand). Adjusted for games in hand, (IE, by point percentage) the Leafs are 5th in the NHL, not second.

Why, again, does the NHL use this antiquated 'points'-based standings, rather than a percentage-based or games-behind-leader-based system? To make Leafs and Wings fans feel temporarily better about their team by providing the illusion of domination?
Eastern Conference ....not the NHL !

Old
12-09-2003, 11:27 AM
Missionhockey

Its been a two-horse race lately. New Jersey and Philly have been blowing away most of the competition. I won't count out the Sens though because they are too talented not to count them as a contender. The difference is Philly is a much deeper team than New Jersey. Just comparing the talent is rediculous as far as the forwards go. Both teams will make the playoffs but its basicly seeing who will get the tougher opponent.

Old
12-09-2003, 11:37 AM
Steve L*

It will be Ottawa, NJ or Philly, I dont think the Leafs or Boston have a chance. Thats goes for an appearance in the finals as well.

Old
12-09-2003, 12:04 PM
BruinsGirl

Nobody knows!

I don't want to wish an injury to any teams but lets say Hackett (who is veeeeerrrry injury prone) goes down. Esche might be very good...but is he ready to cary the team for month or more?

What I want to say is...nobody knows what is going to happen.

Yes you could probably say that Pittsburg will be out of contention but that's it!

I bet if we had the same discussion in 2001 - 2000 you would've said that no chance B's (who missed playoffs a year before) would be #1 and Flyers who were tough as nails would lose to the ballerinas Senators. (and not because of Checkmanek but because of forwards!!!)

Old
12-09-2003, 01:42 PM
Missionhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L
It will be Ottawa, NJ or Philly, I dont think the Leafs or Boston have a chance. Thats goes for an appearance in the finals as well.
An NJ-Philly Eastern Conference battle? Theres going to be a lot of injuries...

Old
12-09-2003, 01:53 PM
swflyers8*

Send a message via Yahoo to swflyers8*
Quote:

I have to go with my fellow Flyer fan. It will be between the three of us. It always is.

Old
12-09-2003, 02:09 PM
Steve L*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionHockey
An NJ-Philly Eastern Conference battle? Theres going to be a lot of injuries...
Thats only if one of them gets drawn against the Leafs

I believe whoever draws the Leafs will be too beat up to get to the final, its crucial to get an easier draw in the East, I dont think any team can beat the Leafs, Sens and NJ and still have something left in the tank for the final. A team really needs Boston, NYR, Buffalo, Montreal, Tampa or Atlanta in the 1st two rounds to have a chance at the Cup.

Old
12-09-2003, 04:11 PM
meehan

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to meehan Send a message via AIM to meehan Send a message via MSN to meehan Send a message via Yahoo to meehan Send a message via Skype™ to meehan
Quote:
Thats only if one of them gets drawn against the Leafs

I believe whoever draws the Leafs will be too beat up to get to the final, its crucial to get an easier draw in the East, I dont think any team can beat the Leafs, Sens and NJ and still have something left in the tank for the final. A team really needs Boston, NYR, Buffalo, Montreal, Tampa or Atlanta in the 1st two rounds to have a chance at the Cup.
Hmm, in 2000 the Devils went through and Leafs and Flyers and won the cup over the Stars. Matchups are overrated, if a team wants the cup badly enough they will go through anyone to get it. You need a deep team and all three of those teams are deep enough to survive 4 tough playoff rounds.

Old
12-09-2003, 04:21 PM
lux_interior

The Washington Capitals will be finished first in the East. Heck, they're half way there now.

Old
12-09-2003, 04:23 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
Unless Broudeur goes down with an injury, NJ is a good bet. Very consistent team, very secure in their system.

Old
12-09-2003, 04:29 PM
lux_interior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian
Unless Broudeur goes down with an injury, NJ is a good bet. Very consistent team, very secure in their system.
NJ is a pretty safe bet. Of the teams listed I would put them (plus one) in the following order.
(Based solely on points)

1. New Jersey
2. Philadelphia
3. Ottawa
4. Tampa Bay
5. Boston
6. Toronto

Old
12-09-2003, 04:59 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Philly, as I predicted pre-season.

Ottawa comes out of the Conference this season, though.

Old
12-09-2003, 05:02 PM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian
As are the Flyers. They have the top PP and 3rd best PK. Undefeated at home, and have totally bought into Hitchcock's system. The Flyers are just as good of a bet.

Old
12-09-2003, 08:17 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by koivu4ever
Toronto really stands out on the list.. for teams that don't belong there.

New Jersey with Philly a close second. Like I said, Toronto is at least two or three steps behind those mentioned. (And I despise the Bruins)
If by Toronto you mean Ottawa, I agree.

Old
12-09-2003, 10:58 PM
KOMO_ROCKS

Send a message via ICQ to KOMO_ROCKS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love
As are the Flyers. They have the top PP and 3rd best PK. Undefeated at home, and have totally bought into Hitchcock's system. The Flyers are just as good of a bet.
Agreed.....my rankings (in terms of points)for the east is as follows

1 Philly
2 New Jersey
3 Toronto
4 Ottawa
5 Tampa Bay
6 Boston

Closed Thread