HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Lockout Signings, Part II

Old
12-07-2012, 02:13 PM
FishManSam
Bobs Yummy Burgers!

vCash: 500

Now Avs fans don't need to trade Stastny or Duchene.

FishManSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 02:42 PM
electricjib

Personally anyone that gives them grief usually gets shipped out. I think ROR is gonna get traded, similar to a Varly deal.

electricjib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 03:15 PM
Avs44

vCash: 0
Bye ROR. I'm sure he will come back to the NHL, but I see the Avs trading him.

Avs44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 03:20 PM
cstu

Dater article with quote from ROR's agent:

http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2012...hl-team/12001/

Quote:
“No good reason not to,” Guy told me. “It’s a very good deal for Ryan. He has an opt-out clause and if the lockout continues or we can’t reach an agreement (with the Avalanche) he can play with his brother.”
Doesn't sound like his plans are to stick around in the KHL if the NHL is back...

cstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 03:42 PM
joe89

KHL contracts are being torn apart by "mutual agreements" on a weekly basis. Last week Robert Nilsson and his team agreed to terminate his contract. That's how they roll. The extra year sounds like a good way for Magnitogorsk to sell this is a no-lockout deal to the KHL, since they've already filled their quota. Plus it gives RoR some good insurance in case of an extremely lengthy lockout.

Further, this is very similar to Brynäs signing Cody Franson(RFA) for the remainder of the year, meanwhile saying it's not a lockout deal(despite his agent very clearly saying he's free to return whenever he signs a new NHL contract).

Don't believe what the teams say in official statements, folks. Agents are smarter than that.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 03:44 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
The extra year sounds like a good way for Magnitogorsk to sell this is a no-lockout deal to the KHL, since they've already filled their quota.
nonsense. Why did not Traktor (signed Andrei Kostitsyn) and Lokomotiv (signed Dmitry Kulikov) do the same thing? All 3 cases are players who are RFA or UFA in NHL.

vorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 03:51 PM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
nonsense. Why did not Traktor (signed Andrei Kostitsyn) and Lokomotiv (signed Dmitry Kulikov) do the same thing? All 3 cases are players who are RFA or UFA in NHL.
Because they're Russians/Belarussians who are not as keen to return as a North American? It's a far easier sell to the league.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 04:10 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
Because they're Russians/Belarussians who are not as keen to return as a North American? It's a far easier sell to the league.
nonsense v2.

Do you know how KHL rules work? I doubt. There is a rule that KHL club can sign maximum of 3 players with NHL contract for 12/13 season Ryan OReilly does not have NHL contract for 12/13 season. So what the hell are you talking about? Try to read KHL rules, KHL website or hire a lawyer.

Old
12-07-2012, 04:21 PM
bananaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaz View Post
O'Reilly is currently a RFA and therefore his rights are still held by the Avs. As far as I know, O'Reilly or his agent would have to inform managemet of his intentions of signing with another team/league, even in a lockout scenario.
Quote:
Does not make sense. Give me a direct quote from CBA or rules.
Im not sure how it doesn’t make sense. His rights are owned by the Avalanche. If he wants any type of future relationship with the team, he or his agent would give the Avs some kind of heads up regarding his move. Although there is no clause in the current CBA regarding this type of NHL/KHL transfer deal, I would be absolutely shocked if the Avs or any NHL team for that matter would be unaware of their player heading to another league, regardless if it is the KHL, SEL or ECHL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bure View Post
The only thing being an RFA effects is his ability to sign with other NHL teams. Since he doesn't have a contract with Colorado, he doesn't have to tell them anything. Just like he wouldn't have to tell them if he got up quit hockey and got a job as a janitor. The KHL is just another job for him, he is not required to tell Colorado anything.

Although he probably did because he lost likely wishes to return.
This is more of the point I was getting at. If he wants to return and keep a good reputation as an NHL player, he had better give someone in that organization a header.

bananaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 04:31 PM
foppagirl21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
Goodbye and good luck Radar, it's been nice knowing you.
At least from an Avs fan perspective. He won't be back in the burgundy and blue, that's for darn sure. That's how management rolls.

A shame. Really enjoyed him on the Avs.

foppagirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 04:33 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by foppagirl21 View Post
At least from an Avs fan perspective. He won't be back in the burgundy and blue, that's for darn sure. That's how management rolls.

A shame. Really enjoyed him on the Avs.
But the Avs certainly won't get full market value for him...

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 04:35 PM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishManSam View Post

Now Avs fans don't need to trade Stastny or Duchene.
dammit, now we'll never get Bozak

WarriorOfGandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 04:46 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

bananaz
Your statement says this: nhl players are slaves.

Old
12-07-2012, 05:10 PM
Theokritos

To the people who say O'Reilly's rights are owned by the Avalanche: only his NHL rights are owned by them. Restricted Free Agency means "restricted" within the NHL, but "free agency" outside of the NHL.

That said, it's entirely possible that the KHL prefers to respect NHL restricted free agency out of diplomatic motives or out of self-preservation interest. But principally speaking, if O'Reilly signs a contract in Europe without a NHL out-clause in it, then there is no legal base for the Avalanche to claim he is their property any more, courts would laugh at the Avalanche if they sued.

Theokritos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 05:47 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 50
Quote:
bananaz
Well from what we've seen, Russian-KHLers sure are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theokritos View Post
To the people who say O'Reilly's rights are owned by the Avalanche: only his NHL rights are owned by them. Restricted Free Agency means "restricted" within the NHL, but "free agency" outside of the NHL.

That said, it's entirely possible that the KHL prefers to respect NHL restricted free agency out of diplomatic motives or out of self-preservation interest. But principally speaking, if O'Reilly signs a contract in Europe without a NHL out-clause in it, then there is no legal base for the Avalanche to claim he is their property any more, courts would laugh at the Avalanche if they sued.
There appears to be a different set of laws when it pertains to the NHL/KHL relationship. Numerous times we've seen RFA status start contract disputes between both sides of the world. It would be a huge mistake for the KHL to open up a dispute over the O'Reilly contract when he returns to the NHL after they've for years been blocking players from leaving to the NHL.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 06:02 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
bananaz
Sorry you have hit a pet peeve here. Do you even know what slavery means? How about the fact it still very much exists in various parts of the world. To even suggest this fits in that category is um.... Well pretty ridiculous.

He might not have to let the Avs know, but it probably isn't the worst idea either if he wants relationships to stay strong. Maybe he doesn't care and that is fine, but I think you went a step too far.

Last edited by The Zetterberg Era: 12-07-2012 at 06:08 PM.
The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 06:32 PM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

vCash: 685
Why would the Avs trade him? It's pretty obvious he'll return once a new CBA is a done deal.

Vikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 07:20 PM
Rhaego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikke View Post
Why would the Avs trade him? It's pretty obvious he'll return once a new CBA is a done deal.
A lot of us think he signed this deal as a negotiation ploy. The Avs don't take kindly to there players holding out or using other tools to get more money. Thats the reason Drury was shipped out

Rhaego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 07:25 PM
Avs44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikke View Post
What Rockies said. I highly doubt O'Reilly wants to play in the KHL. I see this as a very smart ploy by ROR and his agent to have the Avs give him a contract more to his liking. Unfortunately, I don't see the Avs taking kindly to that. I sincerely hope not, but I could see O'Reilly returning to the NHL once the lockout ends, and be traded to another team.

Avs44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 07:51 PM
FoppaForsberg*

...Do people really think he'll be traded? If so I'm going to be livid.

FoppaForsberg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 08:18 PM
Crisp Breakout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockies94 View Post
A lot of us think he signed this deal as a negotiation ploy. The Avs don't take kindly to there players holding out or using other tools to get more money. Thats the reason Drury was shipped out
That's why Sakic got the boot too. I think this is a bit of an overreaction.

Crisp Breakout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 08:44 PM
Violent By Design

I don't really see how he can have an out clause here. Metallurg already has 3 imports signed (Malkin, Kulemin, and Gonchar).

Wouldn't this have to be a legit KHL contract?

Violent By Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 09:26 PM
Freudian
Deja vu again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violent By Design View Post
I don't really see how he can have an out clause here. Metallurg already has 3 imports signed (Malkin, Kulemin, and Gonchar).

Wouldn't this have to be a legit KHL contract?
Legit KHL contracts can be terminated.

When the team in its press statement writes that there is an agreement to release the player once NHL is back and his agent says he has an opt-out clause, you can be certain there is an agreement in place here. It might be a question of interpretation should for some reason the KHL team decide to screw the player but there is no reason to believe they will. And if they had that plan, it's not a very good idea to tell the world they have agreed to release him if the NHL restarts. It weakens their case.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 09:42 PM
Rhaego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisp Breakout View Post
That's why Sakic got the boot too. I think this is a bit of an overreaction.
Yeah when O'Reilly turns into Sakic he can have all the money he wants...

Rhaego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 11:49 PM
Crisp Breakout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockies94 View Post
Yeah when O'Reilly turns into Sakic he can have all the money he wants...
Like it or not, he's about the closest thing we've got at this point. He has arguably been our best player for the past year plus. It would be a tremendous mistake to let negotiations get the best of us here.

Crisp Breakout is offline   Reply With Quote